“Something to Talk About:” Davant Planation Today

by hookedonhouses on April 22, 2013

Something to Talk About movie filmed at Davant PlantationRemember Something to Talk About, the Julia Roberts-Dennis Quaid movie from the mid-90s? Most of it was pretty forgettable for me, but I loved the setting. It was filmed at Davant Plantation in South Carolina, and here’s how it looks today…

Something to Talk About movie house (11)

According to the property’s website, “Davant Plantation, circa 1770, is situated in the heart of South Carolina’s plantation country. Consisting of 2040 acres of cultivated fields, lakes, longleaf pine forests and hardwood bottoms, it has been managed for the last 73 years as a total southern hunting experience for guests, friends and family members.”

Something to Talk About movie house (14)

The 5,000 square-foot main house was built in 1820. In the movie, this is where Robert Duvall and Gena Rowlands (Wyly and Georgia King) live.

Something to Talk About movie house (2)

We got a glimpse of the foyer in the movie when Georgia waits for her husband to come home (so she can chew him out):

Something to Talk About movie screenshots (14)

On the website we get to see the grand double staircase:

Something to Talk About movie house (3)

And a formal living room:

Something to Talk About movie house (15)

One scene takes place in the dining room, when the family (including sisters played by Julia Roberts and Kyra Sedgwick) have a tense meal together:

Something to Talk About movie screenshots (8)

A former owner painted the murals on the walls in the 1940s and they’re still there today:

Something to Talk About movie house (1)

Screenwriter Callie Khouri intended for the movie to take place in Tennessee. But because Julia Roberts wasn’t available until the fall, the filmmakers started looking further south for a location.

Something to Talk About movie screenshots (6)

According to info at IMDb.com, “The filmmakers began their search in SC, making the first stop at Davant Plantation. Within an hour of touring the plantation, director Lasse Hallström made the decision to shoot his film there.”

Something to Talk About movie screenshots (16)

The sisters spend a night in their childhood bedroom:

Something to Talk About movie screenshots (18)

The original Greek Revival home on the property was burned to the ground by Sherman’s troops in 1865. Richard James Davant dismantled another house he owned on a nearby plantation and moved it here.

Something to Talk About Davant Plantation

What really stuck with me from the movie were the old cabins that the website calls guest cottages. Kyra Sedgwick’s character Emma Rae lived in one of them, and that’s where Julia Roberts’ Grace crashes when she finds out her husband has cheated on her.

Something to Talk About movie house (7)

Here’s how Emma Rae’s cottage looked in the movie:

Something to Talk About movie screenshots (7)

The 2,000-acre property is currently a hunting preserve.

Something to Talk About movie house (10)

It’s hard to believe it’s been almost 20 years since this movie came out.

Something to Talk About movie screenshots (3)

The interior of one of the cottages today:

Something to Talk About movie house (8)

Something to Talk About movie screenshots (4)

That bedroom today:

Something to Talk About movie house (9)

Something to Talk About movie screenshots (9)

Sherman burned the main house, but two of the cabins were left intact. At the time, one was used as the kitchen and the other for laundry. The website refers to this one as “the old kitchen house:”

Something to Talk About movie house (12)

There’s a 10-stall horse barn where a lot of the action in the movie takes place, since Julia Roberts’ character manages it:

Something to Talk About movie screenshots (2)

For more photos and information about the property, visit the Davant Plantation website. It’s on the market for $11.45 million. (Thanks to Angela for telling me about it!)

Something to Talk About movie screenshots (10)

Another plantation is on the market nearby in Beaufort, SC, where the movie The Big Chill was filmed. You can see photos of it here.

The Big Chill movie house for sale in Beaufort SC 525

Visit my Houses Onscreen page to see the others I’ve featured!

Alie B April 22, 2013 at 8:10 am

What a beautiful home and property! Love the guest cottages. I really liked this movie and yes, it’s hard to believe it’s been almost 20 years! After seeing Krya Sedgwick and Julia Roberts together in this movie, I was amazed that I had never seen the resemblance between them before. They were very believable as sisters. One thing I wondered about was the age difference between Dennis Quaid and Julia Roberts. The story gave the impression that they were similar in age, but in reality he has about 15 years on her.

House Crazy Sarah April 22, 2013 at 8:20 am

Love those old southern plantations! Although, I thinking the “guest cottages” might actually be historic slave cabins…

empresslockness April 30, 2013 at 3:06 pm

That would be correct.

Luciane at HomeBunch.com April 22, 2013 at 8:27 am

Good morning, Julia!

How are you doing, my friend?!

This is gorgeous! The movie was great and this place is amazing! I love the countryside and this seems to be a wonderful place to live, too bad I don’t have the $11 mil they’re asking for it! :-)

Have a blessed week, my friend.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Erin April 22, 2013 at 8:46 am

I’m with you, I remember this gorgeous property a lot better than the movie. I can’t imagine what is involved in maintaining that much property and the forests that go with it; however, I’m glad someone has preserved it! It really is beautiful! I hope the new owners keep that stunning, hand-painted mural in the dining room!

missgulfsouth April 22, 2013 at 9:28 am

Such a wonderful property! I never saw the movie. I am in love with that kitchen! IN all of your posts I am ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS most interested in the kitchens. So I had a revelation…..I’m going to start a blog called “Hooked on Kitchens”!!! You won’t sue me for the rights, will you???? ;)

Cindy April 22, 2013 at 9:59 am

I loved that movie! Since I come from a small town, I could really relate to the whole everybody-knows-everybody-else’s-business humor!!

that property is just stunningly gorgeous! I loved the feeling of history and the character. Love love love! I think someone already mentioned this, but I think the guest cottages were most likely former slave cabins as well.

Interesting post, Julia! Thanks for sharing this one!

hookedonhouses April 22, 2013 at 10:12 am

Could be, although the listing specifies that they acted as the kitchen and laundry. They look large enough that people could have been living in them, too.

Miss Emily April 22, 2013 at 10:24 am

Probably my most favorite movie house ever! Either this one or the house in “Step-Mom”, which you’ve featured before too. Both of them were so inspiring to me when I built my own house. Mine’s much smaller, of course, but it’s the same style and atmosphere.

Thank you so much for posting this. Highlight of my day :-)

hookedonhouses April 22, 2013 at 10:30 am

Funny you should mention that house. I was watching an episode from the second season of “Lipstick Jungle” on Netflix yesterday and the ladies went to a Bed & Breakfast that I recognized as the “Stepmom” house. I got so excited. They used the real interiors for it, too.

They also filmed the Jennifer Aniston movie “Bounty Hunter” there:

Giovanna April 22, 2013 at 10:24 am

Gorgeous piece of property! Back in antebellum days, the slaves who cooked and did laundry often lived in the kitchen and laundry houses, so it is very likely that those cottages served dual purposes.

DAWN April 22, 2013 at 10:27 am

I was so positively enraptured by Emma Rae’s fabulous little cottage in this movie that I actually began an intense search to find a job as a farm hand on a horse ranch, So strong was my desire to live in such a cottage that I even considered shoveling horse manure in order to make my dream a reality, if indeed that is what it would have taken. Talk about blurring the lines between fantasy and reality! Now that’s something to talk about!

Amanda @ Serenity Now April 22, 2013 at 10:51 am

Beautiful property! Thanks for the tour, Julia. :)

Jen April 22, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I honestly don’t know what to make of this house

Terry April 22, 2013 at 4:14 pm

I love/d this movie. Julia and Dennis’ apartment had a great kitchen, the plantation house was lovely (I go nuts watching them not eating that yummy fried chicken lunch!) and the cottages were a dream. If I were to downsize and build my own hide-away, I would duplicate them – yes both of them. A girl’s got to have a guest house!

Melissa April 22, 2013 at 8:39 pm

This movie is on right now! I always liked the movie, and I love the property.

Kim April 23, 2013 at 2:01 am

I’ve never seen this movie, but I love the property and house. I hope the new homeowners will take good care of it.

Nita {ModVintageLife} April 23, 2013 at 3:21 am

Oh…this was a good post. I remember really enjoying that movie when it came out and I loved the houses and sets shown. Thanks for sharing.

Nina April 23, 2013 at 5:19 am

Interesting property. As someone said, the cottages were most likely used as slave quarters. They would be the ones cooking and doing laundry. And it would be consistent with the period and style.

Lisa April 23, 2013 at 5:39 am

I loved this movie, especially for the setting! Thanks for the tour! I had no idea about the double staircase!!

nanne April 23, 2013 at 4:12 pm

i always really liked the plantation house from the movie, but LOVED emma rae’s cabin. one of my all time movie favs!

Screendoorgirl 3 April 23, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Oh, I love this house. I remember the movie vaguely , but not really the house.I guess I wasn’t that hooked 20 years ago. That foyer and staircase are really something! I thought I’d love the cottages, but they came across as a little spooky. Maybe it was the lighting. I’ll take the main house, thank you.. Great post, Julia!

Mary Frances April 26, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I loved this movie, and just viewed it again with my 11-year-old daughter (her first viewing) this past weekend. So it’s fresh in my mind. I always loved all of the locations (including the house in the city that Julia Roberts’ and Dennis Quaid’s characters lived in), but the horse farm/plantation property was really the most memorable … and now available for only $11.45 million! If only …

Karen April 30, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I don’t recollect the movie or the house, but it’s lovely and looks beautiful here. I love the guest cabins.

Stacey B. July 5, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Have you ever considered doing a post on the house from 7th Heaven?? Love that house!!

Stacey B. July 5, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Could you write a post about the house in 7th Heaven?

Troy October 16, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I love your website! How about Cate Blanchett’s house in Notes on a Scandal? Or Neil Patrick Harris’ apartment in The Smurfs?

RAY B November 21, 2013 at 1:01 pm

The movie was great as is your website. I have a question thats hauntintg me regarding the stables. Somehow the interior and exterior shots both on this page and in the movie don’t seem to match up. The Davant stables have 10 stalls, 5 in each wing. In the movie from the inside shots it looks like there’s many more, plus the office doesn’t seem to fit in w/ the layout in the movie compared to the listing photos and others I have found on line.
It would be greatly appreciated if someone could clarify this for me. It doesn’t take a lot to drive me nuts anymore, but this is doing the trick nicely.

hookedonhouses November 21, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I don’t know. I hadn’t really noticed that. I wonder if they didn’t film on location for the interiors then? Good question!