The Craftsman Bungalow in “I Love You, Beth Cooper”

by hookedonhouses on February 6, 2011

I Love You Beth Cooper-bungalow

The 2009 comedy I Love You, Beth Cooper, didn’t impress me much, but the charming Craftsman-style bungalow that the Cooverman family lived in did. When the coked-up bullies broke in and start destroying the kitchen, I could hardly stand it. I immediately began searching for information about the house to find out if it was real.

What I learned was that the exterior is a real house located just outside Vancouver, but the interiors were sets on a soundstage.

front door

Hayden Panettierre plays Beth Cooper, the popular girl Denis has had a crush on since the 7th grade.¬† (Denis was played by newcomer Paul Rust.) In his Valedictorian speech at graduation, he proclaimed his love for her. “I have been loving you from behind…in English Lit, and Practical Science…” (I was Salutatorian of my graduating class, but my speech wasn’t nearly as entertaining.)

Afterward, he screwed up the courage to invite her to his house that night for a graduation party. Surprisingly, she and her two friends show up.

We catch a glimpse of two beautiful fireplaces in Denis’s house–this¬† yellow-tiled one behind him:

fireplace

And this one behind his dad, played by Alan Ruck (you may remember him as Cameron from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off–you can see those houses here):

living room

The characters spent most of their time in the kitchen:

I Love You Beth Cooper-kitchen

The movie was based on the popular novel by Larry Doyle of the same name.

Craftsman kitchen 1

The Production Designer was Howard Cummings. Set Decoration by Mary-Lou Storey.

kitchen 3

Sorry for the shirtless shot, but it was the only time we got to see that corner of the kitchen with the table:

kitchen table

The kitchen was small, but I liked it. I didn’t hear much of the dialogue in these scenes because I was trying to get a closer look at their open shelving and the blue tile:

kitchen 4

kitchen 2

When Beth’s boyfriend Kevin shows up and breaks into the house, Denis runs upstairs to his room. His friend Rich asks, “Denis, have you ever seen any of the Friday the 13ths? You run upstairs, you die!”

Denis’s bedroom has a window seat and some cool built-ins:

Denis's Bedroom 1

I thought it was pretty funny when Denis fought the bully with a light saber:

Denis's bedroom 2

I’ll be honest and tell you that as soon as they left the house to go off on other adventures, I lost interest and fast-forwarded through the rest, hoping they’d go back to the house eventually. They did, but only gave us one final look at the front of the house:

overhead view of house

Did anyone else see this movie and think that the house was the best thing about it?

Hooked on Craftsman-Style Houses? Check Out These Other Goodies:

ShabbyChick February 6, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Loving that blue subway tile in the kitchen! Aren’t bungalows so dreamy?

Luciane at Homebunch.com February 6, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Hello Julia!

Did you have a good weekend? We got so much snow and we couldn’t do much, but staying at hoe and watch some great movies!

Talking about movies, I haven’t seen this one, but the house is really cute! And I love the fact it was filmed in Vancouver. My favorite city in the world! ;-)

Great post!

I hope you have a very blessed week!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com
Post of the Day: Well Designed Kitchens. http://www.HomeBunch.com

Luciane at Homebunch.com February 6, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I meant “staying at home and watch some great movies. :-)

Anne February 6, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I loved the house – but I have to say that I also really liked the movie. lol I thought it was cute.

Claire February 6, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Did you notice that everyone’s clothes matched the interior of the house? Everyone is wearing brown and light blue and white.

Loribeth February 6, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I didn’t see the movie, but I love craftsman bungalows!

Nita@ModVintageLife.com February 6, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Thats a lovely bungalow. You know I love tile fireplaces since I have one and most everyone else does in my neighborhood. So I love that you pointed those out. I did not see this movie and WILL not see this movie but I’m glad you showed off the house.

Nichole February 7, 2011 at 12:04 am

I thought parts of the movie were funny. But I did like the house best. I also read the book and I think it was a little better than the movie.

Kim February 7, 2011 at 12:05 am

I haven’t seen this movie, but I love the Craftsman styled home. I would love to live in a house like that.

There’s been alot of movies I have seen that weren’t that great, but the houses were beautiful. Like not too long ago, I watched a tv movie called, “Backyard Wedding”. It wasn’t that great, but I loved the house. It’s one I would love to live in.

TerritoryMom February 7, 2011 at 12:10 am

You had me at “craftsman”.

Karena February 7, 2011 at 1:41 am

I do like the house…. though I don’t know why it seemed dark to me.

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

The Little Red Shop February 7, 2011 at 4:56 am

I haven’t seen it, but thank you for the post…and the warning. I have a Craftsman Bungalow patiently waiting to be beautiful, so, I definitely appreciate the inspiration! I want to make use of absolutely every single little bitty space.

Have a great week!

: )

Julie M.
ps I enjoyed “Zathura” and its gorgeous house, but the “Must Love Dogs” bungalow is definitely more my cup of tea!

Holley February 7, 2011 at 6:26 am

That is adorable. I love the front porch. I have the traditional twisty iron railings from mid century ranches and the previous owner did not take good care of them. Thus I am constantly on the lookout for interesting railings and banisters.

I was going to say that I would have loved to have his room as a teenager, but realized I would still love to have a room with built-in bookshelves and a window seat.

Ricki Jill Treleaven February 7, 2011 at 6:56 am

It is a lovely bungalow. I like the chunky columns on the porch. I like the blue tiles and open shelving in the kitchen, too.

Beverly from Montreal February 7, 2011 at 7:33 am

There were a number of these Craftsman homes in the neighborhood in which I grew up, Julia. I’ve always dreamed of owning one but sadly that dream was never realized.

It would be fun to know how many movies were made where this style of home was featured.

Shannon Waller February 7, 2011 at 9:03 am

I’m really loing these craftman bungalos. Thanks for posting this one:)

Danielle February 7, 2011 at 9:08 am

I saw this movie and it was horrible. I didn’t notice the house though. It really is lovely.

Janette at The2Seasons February 7, 2011 at 9:10 am

I agree with you. Didn’t love the movie, but they “nailed” the craftsman style with the interior shots.

Londen @ Sixty-Fifth Avenue February 7, 2011 at 9:41 am

Gorgeous house and kitchen! I didn’t see the movie, doesn’t sound that great. Thanks for sharing!

Cheri@IHeartOldHouses February 7, 2011 at 11:28 am

I don’t think there’s a better way to start the week than drooling over a gorgeously restored Craftsman! I watched a brief part of the movie “Mean Girls” over the weekend, and Lindsay Lohan’s character lived in a beautiful large shingled Craftsman. Can’t remember if you’ve ever featured that one, but as I recall they don’t show much of the interior…

hookedonhouses February 7, 2011 at 11:41 am

I just watched that again last week and loved the house! They didn’t show nearly enough of it, though. I was so bummed…

Juju at Tales of Whimsy February 7, 2011 at 2:17 pm

What a lovely warm kitchen!

Can I make a “spotlight that movie house” request? I want to see stills of the Nanny McPhee Returns house. :D

Bre February 7, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I never saw the movie, I had no desire to, and now I really don’t have the desire to! I do love the kitchen though, I love the island and light blue wall color. I love additional seating in any room of the house, so I really loved the window seat in the main character’s bedroom, very cool built ins as well. Those colorful fireplaces are so beautiful! Very inspiring, I like the nice pop of color.

sandy@oohlafroufrou February 7, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Love how you bring us all of the insider info!

Deb in Oz February 7, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I haven’t seen the movie, but I love the house!

ShabbyChick February 7, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I hope you will feature the house from “When A Stranger Calls”, the remake from a few years back. That house is FAB-U-LOUS! Watch it, I know you’ll agree!

Cristy February 7, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Wow if you thought that kitchen was small I wonder what you would think of mine! Lol, I love small homes and mine is just over 900 square feet but I’ve made every inch count. I love the fireplaces in this house, with the bookshelves. Not a fan of the blue kitchen tile though. Thank you for posting this. I always look forward to Movie Mondays!

Elvira February 8, 2011 at 10:07 am

I haven’t seen the movie but I do like the house. The exterior carpentry is wonderful, beautiful window frames and porch banister. The kitchen is lovely, especially the beautifully dressed corner windows above the work surfaces and dining area. I like subway tiles but not in this colour. Am I just being boring and unadventurous?

I like the bookcases on both sides of the fireplace better than the fireplace itself. The mantelshelf is nice and chunky, though.

I would have loved to have a bedroom like that when I was young, with large windows and window seats. The built ins are inspired, a good way to use up awkward space.

Nice house, thanks for showing it to us, Julia.

Tamara February 8, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I haven’t seen this movie and to be honest, it’s not on my list of things to do, however I do love this style of house! So warm and cozy~

Lauren @ Meet My Ugly Baby February 9, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Sorry Julia but you know the rules: every movie made in Vancouver – ever – is just awful, awful, awful. Love this house though — especially the front porch.

Maaike Quinn @ Life with FlyLady February 9, 2011 at 3:49 pm

This is kind of a hate it and love it house for me. I love the exterior, the bedroom (especially that gorgeous window seat and those built-ins!) and the blue tiles in the kitchen. Everything else: not for me. Way to dark, old fashioned and depressing.

Robyn Humphries February 16, 2011 at 9:27 am

Hey, love the posts! Hopefully, soon you will feature the main houses from the T.V. show Parenthood. I would love to get a better look at them.

Shannon March 28, 2011 at 1:59 pm

When I saw this I couldn’t get the boy’s bedroom out of my mind. I love the window seat and the built-ins! By far my favorite part. I have a weakness for built-ins! The color palette in that room I could see in my second son’s room too. Love it! Thanks for doing this house!

mercedes April 17, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Thanks Julia for this post, I agree with you, that the best of the movie was the house. Chris Columbus, as director always featured great houses. But if you like craftsman bungalow, you must see the house of Story of Us an old movie with Bruce Willis and Michelle Pfeiffer!! It is gorgeous.
And the comment that Claire made it is incredible, but real!!!
Greettings

Lindsay June 27, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Just curious…can anyone guess or come close to the shade of green the exterior is? I love it!!!!