A Look Inside the Real “Stepmom” Movie House in New York

A look inside the real house where the Susan Sarandon-Julia Roberts movie "Stepmom" was filmed in Nyack | hookedonhouses.net

One of my all-time favorite movie houses has to be the gorgeous 1850s Victorian with the wraparound porch in the Julia Roberts-Susan Sarandon tear-jerker Stepmom. It was one of the first movie houses I wrote about when I started my Movie Mondays series back in 2008, and it continues to be one of the most popular.

The "Stepmom" movie house in New York

So imagine my excitement when I heard from the homeowner herself, saying she enjoyed my post about her house and that she’s selling it. It’s in Upper Nyack, New York, and the asking price is a little under $2 million. Here’s how it looks in the listing today:

The real house from the "Stepmom" movie with Julia Roberts and Susan Sarandon | hookedonhouses.net

If the house looks familiar, but you never saw Stepmom, it may be because it was also used in the more recent movie The Bounty Hunter with Gerard Butler and Jennifer Aniston, posing as a Bed & Breakfast called “Cupid’s Cabin.”

Gerard Butler and Jennifer Aniston in "The Bounty Hunter" movie

The front door as shown in the listing:

Stepmom-front door

Would I kill for this front porch? Don’t tempt me.

Stepmom house-front porch

If the interior photos look familiar, it’s because the Stepmom sets were actually modeled on many of the real rooms in the house. Here’s the front door and staircase in the real house:

Stepmom house-staircase

Entry hall and staircase in the movie "Stepmom"

Here’s how the staircase looked in Stepmom:

Stepmom house-entry staircase in movie

The living room in the listing:

Stepmom house-living room

And in Stepmom, which was reportedly a set based on the real thing:

Susan Sarandon's living room in the movie Stepmom | hookedonhouses.net

The dining room:

The Victorian dining room from the "Stepmom" movie house

A cozy upstairs landing with fireplace:

Upstairs landing of the "Stepmom" movie house

Another sitting room:

Sitting room in the "Stepmom" movie house

The real kitchen:

Stepmom house-kitchen

I especially like this eat-in breakfast nook with the tall windows all around:

Kitchen nook in the real "Stepmom" movie house

Here’s how Jackie’s kitchen looked in Stepmom (it was a set — not the real thing):

Susan Sarandon's kitchen in the movie Stepmom | hookedonhouses.net

Julia Roberts and Susan Sarandon in Jackie's kitchen in the movie "Stepmom"

The house has 8 bedrooms, 4 baths, and 6 fireplaces. It was built in 1854 and has over 5,000 square feet.

Staircase in the real "Stepmom" movie house

Stepmom house-stairs-landing

Here’s how that upstairs landing looks in the movie–you can see it was inspired by the real thing:

Second floor landing in Susan Sarandon's "Stepmom" Victorian

The listing describes the house as the “Extraordinary French Second Empire Victorian gem ‘Glenholme,'” which boasts “Sweeping Hudson River views from every room.”

Hudson river view from the Stepmom movie house

Stepmom house-side view

The homeowner has a blog where she has posted additional, informal photos of the house that you can see here.

Second Empire Victorian house where the movie "Stepmom" was filmed | hookedonhouses.net

For more photos and information, check the listing (UPDATE: sorry, it sold!).

The Victorian house from the movie "Stepmom" Many thanks to Patrice, the homeowner, for sharing it with us. You can see my original post about the house with more photos and information about the movie itself here.

Julia-simple teal signature

P.S. Visit my Houses Onscreen page to see more, including…

Groundhog Day movie Cherry Street Inn B&B

Comments

Once again, love the staircase in this home! It actually has the feel of a bed and breakfast, doesn’t it?
    I stayed in a bed and breakfast that had an incredible staircase-here is a link, but I’m disappointed that there isn’t a better picture than this one. You may be able to tell that it is a few flights of beautiful woodwork and spindles!!!
    Love, love, LOVE homes from another time!
    .-= Josanne´s last blog ..Are You Going To Reach Your Goals In 2011 =-.

• hookedonhouses says

That does look beautiful, Josanne. Thanks for the link!

2. Kim says

I absolutely love this house. I am so glad that we finally got to see the inside. It’s gorgeous and I wouldn’t mind living in a house like that.

Thankyou for sharing this with us!

A dream home for sure! With wonderful features and fantastic views, I’m sure it’s worth every dollar they are asking. The listing says that there are four bathrooms in the home but they have neglected to post a picture of even one of them. Why would they leave the bathrooms out of the visuals?
    .-= Beverly From Montreal´s last blog ..Snowbound =-.

when I move in, the furnishings will be a bit less formal and I will put my office on that second floor landing. Oh, wait-I just woke up :( that house is to absolutely die for and I would love to live in Upper Nyack, too!
    .-= rosie at 3rosebuds´s last blog ..goodbye 2010 =-.

5. Miss Emily says

I watch Stepmom over and over, especially in the fall, just to see that house.

6. Sophie says

What I wouldn’t give for this house! I look at these pictures and instant think of all the wonderful things that could be done to it. So stunning, definitely my dream house.

7. Carol M says

What a dream of a house. If I win the lottery, I’m buying it. Love all the details. From the other sites photos you can better see the few steps that lead from the upstairs landing into another room. I don’t know why, but that detail delights me to no end.

Julia,

This is gorgeous! I am selling my house and I really want to buy a house just like that… full of character! Full of history and beauty!

Lovely post!

Have a great week!

Gee…. It’s snowing a lot here in Canada! :-)

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

9. Jared says

I need to get $3.375 million and fast because I love this house! I bet it wont be on the market for long.

10. Susan S says

I’m hyperventilating here!! So much architectural interest! This post could be considered depressing because it induces longing for something that cannot be. And how many other houses do the same, but we keep on dreaming on! Thanks, Julia and a joyous and healthy New Year to you and your family!

11. jana says

I’m finding it a little spooky that you featured this house/movie today. Last night my husband and I were watching the football game and they played that “Under Pressure” song and I remembered it was featured in the movie Stepmom as a music montage at the beginning (I think). I hadn’t thought about that movie in years and here you are talking about it. Love that house. It just looks so homey and comfortable in the movies but I love the updates in the kitchen.

12. cheryl says

The house of my dreams. I can see it in all seasons, especially Autumn with gorgeous pumpkins on the front porch. I also see myself reading in my favorite places around the house. I see my family and friends celebrating birthdays and holidays together there. This house…is the stuff dreams are made of.

Thanks for sharing!
    CHERYL

13. Lizzy says

I have an idea – so far 31 people have said they love this house and would buy it – so if we all chip in around $108,000 each, we can ALL buy it and share it!!!!!!

Quite a pretty home actually! I loved the Stepmom, and having just recently travelled to NY for the first time {and falling madly in love} I would do anything to live there! I’d take this home for sure!
    Nancy xo
    .-= Nancy@marcusdesign´s last blog ..sarah 101- will you be watching =-.

15. T. says

That is definitely the kind of house I would love to live in. Love everything about it: the size (big, but not too big), the layout, the details, the age, the neighborhood, the view… I even clicked on the monthly mortgage calculator link in case it would somehow seem affordable. I mean, I would hate to just assume it’s out of reach. Um, yeah, guess what–it’s out of reach. :(

16. Nathan says

I think I might have to watch this movie. I’m a bit surprised I haven’t since I love Julia Roberts and quite like Susan Surandon. And the house is amazing, lol.

17. Hank says

Me and my wife took a side trip to see this house in person in the middle of October during our New England vacation. I took a bunch of pics. It looks absolutely amazing in person. The neighborhood surrounding it is idyllic, too. I spoke to the owner’s neighbor for a little while and asked about how it was when they were filming Stepmom and Bounty Hunter. Some cool info for sure.

I KNEW that was the same house when I watched “Bounty Hunter!” I kept saying how familiar it looked. That house is absolutely gorgeous and reaffirms my love for wraparound porches. It has so much character. I adore the kitchen and staircases. Absolutely beautiful!
    .-= Bre´s last blog ..BreBeauty Quick Tip- Nail Polish Removal =-.

Lovely house and it was very well studied and the architectural designs were well studied and fabulous. Your staircase was fantastic. I love it. The colors fitted to the entire area and it was a perfect property to have. Thank you for sharing.

Charles A

20. Brandon says

Does anyone know where I can find the floor plan to this house?

21. Mary says

This home is a treasure. It would be my dream home. How fun it would be to sit on the porch.

Wrote about this house in my book NO PLACE LIKE HOME – one of my favorite movie home locations. I used to drive by this house in Nyack, NY when I was doing some client projects in area. Beautiful setting!

23. Erica says

Any idea where to find the house plan for this house?? Its definitely the house that my husband and I would like to build. Wondering who the architect was so I could find it somehow?

24. naneki says

Love this website so much! Been visiting it off and on for ages! I wonder if anyone has any pictures from Jennifer Anniston’s town house in ‘The Bounty Hunter’? I love the kitchen and the colors they used on the set. Thanks again for making this such a fun place to visit and dream about!