How to Hang Board and Batten

by hookedonhouses on September 15, 2010

After I showed you the new board and batten treatment we hung on the walls of our playroom last month, a few of you said you wanted to try it yourself. I thought it would be helpful for you to see the rooms and DIY tutorials that inspired us when we were planning ours.

Funky Junk Interiors-bedroom#1: Donna of Funky Junk Interiors added board and batten to the focal wall of her bedroom, which adds texture and interest.

ASPTL-living rm

#2: Kimba’s board and batten tutorial at A Soft Place to Land shows how to angle the boards at the bottom so you don’t have to remove the baseboard.

the nester-home office#3: The Nester installed it in her home office a little over halfway up the wall. With the paint color above it, her version looks really cozy and warm.

It's the Little Things-living rm#4: The tutorial at It’s the Little Things That Make a House a Home was a big help to us when we were trying to figure it out ourselves.

Julia's Playroom-Board & Batten

#5: If that’s not enough to get you started, you can see the before and after photos of our playroom project and read all the details about how we did it here.

P.S. Tune in to the Nate Berkus Show today if you have a chance. A producer asked to use some of my photos for it. Not sure if they’ll even give me credit, but I’m eager to see how they use them! I’ll tell you all about it tomorrow. :-)

Deirdre September 15, 2010 at 8:10 am

WOW!!! I absolutely LOVE how your playroom came out! That is the “look” I’ve been trying to get with mine!! Thank you for sharing your tips and tricks. But please tell me that it is “never that tidy”… this seems to be a recurring problem with my playroom! I keep threatening my 3 kids that I’m going to take it over as my office! Haha.. Great job!

hookedonhouses September 15, 2010 at 8:14 am

Um, no, it hasn’t been that neat and tidy since we finished the project and took the photos! -Julia

Janell Beals September 15, 2010 at 8:11 am

Your playroom looks amazing! Love the green paired with the trim and the light fixtures make it all pop….great job! Congrats on it being featured on Nate’s show…are you going next week? I would love to meet you if so! Janell
.-= Janell Beals´s last blog ..A Great Little Find At Target! More Master Bedroom Updates =-.

hookedonhouses September 15, 2010 at 8:14 am

No, I’m not going to the show next week. Wish I could!! -Julia

Laura September 15, 2010 at 9:39 am

Your playroom looks amazing… I love the fact that it looks like a playroom, but without the overtop kiddie look… It looks like a room, I would want to chill out in too! I want to board and batten our hallway… the upstairs hallway, which has yet to be built!! I have it all planned out though!! Have a great day. Lx
.-= Laura´s last blog ..A cork love story =-.

Pat September 15, 2010 at 9:57 am

I feel the need to board and batten every thing, I just need someone to do the work! I think it’s time for my 21 year old grandson to learn some skills…LOL!
I would love to watch the Nate Berkus show, but fear I have missed it today. It seems it airs at 2:30 AM here!! Guess I’ll have to set the DVR..If I can remember!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..Decorating Dilemma Help! =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now September 15, 2010 at 10:27 am

How exciting that TNBS might use your photos! I have been DVRing it (except for the first one, forgot!) and can’t wait to have a chance to watch. :)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Falling for Autumn =-.

Kristen September 15, 2010 at 11:03 am

Beautiful rooms with board and batten! Keeping my fingers crossed that they use your photos on the Nate show!!!
Kristen
.-= Kristen´s last blog ..Decorating must have! =-.

Nancy Hood September 15, 2010 at 11:43 am

Thanks, girl!! We plan to use this in our next home and I shall bookmark this post!!!
.-= Nancy Hood´s last blog ..Happy Birthday- sweet Elle =-.

Richella at Imparting Grace September 15, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I just love your playroom, Julia. I’d really like the try this treatment in our bonus room. Have you seen any articles re: B&B on walls in rooms with varying ceiling heights? This is a room over our garage, and it has some sloped ceilings, a large dormer, etc.–the kind of thing you’d expect in a bonus room, I guess. I think B&B might be a good look for it, and I’m thinking that many homes of the early 20th century might have had this kind of wall treatment in rooms with sloping ceilings. Do you know what I mean?
.-= Richella at Imparting Grace´s last blog ..Greeting autumn at the front door =-.

hookedonhouses September 15, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Richella–I don’t remember seeing any projects in a room with sloped ceilings, but I bet it would look beautiful! You just have the added challenge of cutting the ends on an angle, but it shouldn’t be too hard to figure out. -Julia

Cindy September 15, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I have some beadboard up in my kitchen/breakfast nook. Can I still do board-and-batten in the family room which is near it? OK to mix? Need advice.
Thank you f or the valuable links, Julia.

Jo-Anne September 15, 2010 at 4:42 pm

We have used board and batten walls in rooms with bead board ceilings very successfully so I would think you’d be fine with the two near each other in separate rooms. We always keep the beadboard and board and batten the same (trim) color and typically use either 1/4 round or small crown molding to transition at the ceiling.

Kim September 15, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I love batten board. It makes a house look nice.

leen September 15, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Thanks so much for sharing all the links! I’ve been visiting and revisiting most of them for a while now…trying to get the nerve up!

Love your playroom btw :)
.-= leen´s last blog ..Autumn Wreaths =-.

Carrie September 15, 2010 at 4:46 pm

We did board and batten with a shelf at the top in our bathroom and I love the way it looks. You can see it here-

I love your blog and your playroom is beautiful!

liz @ bon temps beignet September 15, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Love the North, South, East & West on the tray ceiling in your last inspiration pic. Such a cute idea.

Your play room looks super cute

Susan S September 15, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Love this look. So classic without being stuffy, so, if you ask me, any plain room gets instant personality!

moderncottage September 15, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Great post… I adore board and batten and having been planning to install it in our mudroom as part of a whole-interior redesign! Nice to see all the different applications.
.-= moderncottage´s last blog ..Going green =-.

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish September 15, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Love this! Your room looks fantastic! Such a great round up of all these projects! I might have to start DVRing the Nate Berkus show. Boo for working!
.-= Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish´s last blog ..How much is TOO much in a rental =-.

lucy September 15, 2010 at 7:04 pm

You saw the photo I posted of my DIY board and batten.(green/blue wall w/ two red tub chairs,console in between ) that was just one wall in my loungeroom. Now I can’t decide wether or not to do that whole room the same or just keep to the one wall. I’m worried that if I do the rest of the room I wont be able to stop just there ! I love it in the bedroom !and the study ! and the hall way ! Ahhhh!!!

Sue from Atlanta September 15, 2010 at 7:06 pm

forget the board and batten….that bed in the first picture looks like the most comfortable bed I have ever seen….

Erin September 15, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I love the lights from Ikea in your playroom. I was thinking of using them somewhere in my house. Just curious if they give enough light. Thanks!

hookedonhouses September 15, 2010 at 11:04 pm

I worried about the same thing when we got them, but it’s always nice and bright in there. However, we do have a big window and several other lamps in there, too, so that helps. -Julia

Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip September 15, 2010 at 11:49 pm

I just love this look!!
.-= Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip´s last blog ..Birds of a feather =-.

Bre September 16, 2010 at 1:27 pm

These are inspirational and helpful posts, thank you! Your playroom really turned out wonderfully, so bright and cheerful. I want to play in there!
.-= Bre´s last blog ..Magazine Lust =-.

Kate (Little Beach Bum) September 18, 2010 at 1:16 am

The rooms are all gorgeous! I love your playroom, Julia, and also that pretty sage-green study. But I have to admit: I don’t know much about “board and batten” (like, whether it is a noun or a verb…lol!) but I find the height of the boards on the walls interesting. I’m not sure if I could handle that height in my house – I would feel like a hobbit! (I’m also 5’1″ so it’s probably just me, though!) I guess I just imagine any sort of border or trim or wainscoting as being about hip-high (a la http://mitrecontracting.typepad.com/photos/wainscot/0052.html)…having the boards reach that far up the wall, over my head, would make me feel like I shrank and I think it would drive me nuts! But I’m curious, is this the “traditional” or the “usual” height for board and batten that doesn’t cover the whole wall? Does anyone know why it is more common for board and batten to be so much taller than other kinds of trim?
.-= Kate (Little Beach Bum)´s last blog ..Quote of the Day =-.

hookedonhouses September 18, 2010 at 9:53 am

I don’t know what to tell you, Kate. I’m a shorty myself but it never made me feel like a hobbit. You might not like it, though. I’ve seen it at all different heights and am not sure if there’s one specific “right” one. -Julia

Heather @ Simple.Beautiful.Home February 3, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I absolutely LOVE board and batten and I totally appreciate all of the inspiration photos in one place. I am thinking about doing this in a future nursery, so I need all the help I can get. BTW – I love the bright cheery color you used above your board and batten in the playroom. It is the perfect balance for a fun and creative space like that!! Great job!

Ann February 11, 2011 at 4:51 am

Your room inspirations are all so lovely…
The first one is so inviting…

Desert Hominid April 21, 2011 at 1:43 am

I’m embarrassed to say this, but I didn’t know this treatment is called board and batten. And I’m a finish carpenter. Oops. Thanks for the enlightenment.

#3 The Nester is my favorite.

Cheers,