A “Practical Magic”-Inspired Kitchen That Casts a Spell

Practical Magic movie kitchen set

I recently showed you photos of the Victorian house from the movie Practical Magic. The kitchen was practically a character of its own and was one of the most memorable parts of the movie–at least for me. So I was excited when Derek, one of my long-time readers, sent me photos of a kitchen inspired by the one in Practical Magic that he designed. It was part of an amazing Gothic Revival house project that he spent two years working on, and I think the results are stunning.

The photo above was taken on the set of the film and published in Victoria magazine in 1998. Here’s Derek’s version of the kitchen in the house he designed:

A Kitchen Inspired by "Practical Magic"

“The AGA is almost like a shrine,” production designer Robin Standefer said of the gas stove that was the focal point of the movie kitchen. “This is the place where they do their work; it’s where they place the cauldron.”

Derek’s clients have an AGA, too:

Derek's Practical Magic kitchen 1

The ceilings aren’t vaulted like they are in the movie, but they are beamed for a similar feel. A view of the kitchen from overhead in the movie:

The Practical Magic movie kitchen set

The kitchen Derek designed:

Derek's Practical Magic kitchen 2

Derek says:

“The point of this entire kitchen design was to make it look like it had existed for nearly a century. No islands with bar stools, no visible microwaves, all signs of modern conveniences gone. Even the Sub Zero was disguised. The choice of an AGA range, despite its weight, price and many special requirements was completely worth it to achieve this timeless look.”

The Sub Zero disguised as an icebox:

Sub Zero disguised as an icebox

The movie kitchen, looking into the dining area:

The "Practical Magic" Kitchen Set

And an almost identical opening in Derek’s house–love his meticulous attention to detail:

Derek's Practical Magic kitchen 4

I think the freestanding island is gorgeous. It looks like an antique, but Derek designed it himself and had it manufactured in Central America. He says, “It was designed after the large work tables found in some of the larger historic home kitchens.”

New House Built with American Gothic Revival Style

A Kitchen Inspired by the "Practical Magic" Movie Sets

Derek's Practical Magic kitchen-island

You can see more photos of the Victorian house from Practical Magic here:

Practical Magic movie house Victorian

*UPDATE*

You can see the rest of this Gothic Revival house here:

New House Built with American Gothic Revival Style

Comments

Hands down, one of the dreamiest kitchens I’ve ever seen. Oh, how I love coming here to get inspired (and realize how poor I am!). :)
    .-= Chris´s last blog ..Painting Furniture =-.

WOW! That is one of my favorite kitchen’s ever! I like his version even better than the one in the movie. How wonderful it is for whatever family gets to live there – SWOON!
    .-= christy´s last blog ..A little dancing foo =-.

3. nanne in columbus says

i’m in love!!!! thanks, julia, for the gorgeous pics!!

nanne

Great kitchen! What a thoughtful interpretation of the original. Love it! I also love JC’s kitchen in her Vermont home in “Baby Boom”, Iris’s in “The Holiday” and Mary Richard’s kitchen on “The Mary Tyler Moore Show”. I loved the stained glass window that she could pull up to open into the rest of her charming apartment. Also loved the kitchen in “Christmas in Connecticut” with the dutch door. Sometimes I think that Hollywood set designers should be designing homes for the general public. Their sets are so much more inviting than what most builders design.

Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..Vintage Baby Setting =-.

Wow, that kitchen is amazing. Derek did a fabulous job. The island is gorgeous. I like Derek’s design better than the movie set kitchen.
    .-= susie´s last blog ..~ MY FIRST GIVEAWAY ~ =-.

I don’t really know what I would do with a kitchen, were I blessed with all the room in the world in which to put said kitchen. And, yes, I do know that no one really has “all the room in the world,” but lots and lots of people have considerably more room than I have! All I can do, I guess, is just keep surfing the Internet, hoping that I will find designs that I can put to use in my own kitchen. A little here, a little there, that sort of thing. That said, I will say, and I DO say, that you have given me much to think about with your concepts, and I thank you for sharing your ideas. And who knows? Maybe one fine day I will be sharing an absolutely smashing, albeit small, kitchen design!
    .-= Joseph´s last blog ..Pedini Modern Italian Kitchen Designs =-.

Love when people break away from the standard high end kitchen and really go for it. An amazing accomplishment.

I LOVE these kitchens, both of them. I’ve watched Practical Magic so many times, and fall in love with that kitchen every time! I also LOVE her little shop in town, could you show us some of that? :-)
    I especially love what Derek has done with the glass panes over the walk through to the dining area!
    Barbara
    .-= Barbara´s last blog ..Hello world! =-.

Gorgeous! What an accomplishment! Wish I were friends with him so I could come over & cook!
    If I were to do it, I’d have to go with Erica Berry’s Hamptons’ kitchen (& living room…&bedroom..) Maybe I could just live in that rental house you showed in Utah!
    .-= tina poulsen´s last blog ..Oh, it’s Ree! =-.

10. Gerry says

Chris@PaintingFurniture, you took the words right out of my mouth.
    This kitchen is amazing!

Oh, my. What a beautiful, beautiful space. And another AGA. Ummm. When I’m a gazillionaire, I’ll have a house somewhere where it doesn’t get hot. . . and that kitchen will have an AGA. And I’ll invite you over for a cup of tea.
    .-= Richella at Imparting Grace´s last blog ..A welcoming space =-.

12. peggy says

One of the most personable kitchens ever! What a designer. Great pics and super job.

13. Celia says

This is an amazing kitchen design. It is gorgeous and I love the “ice box” look. One thing I did notice though :) The island does not have any leg room… but overall the kitchen is amazing. Love the stove too!

How beautiful. Love those two “islands” pushed together and the wall between the kitchen and dining room… wow. The Practical Magic house is one of my all-time fave movie houses. Love it that someone (homeowner+designer) went so far to replicate the look but in a modern, “practical” way. Thanks Julia! (and thanks to Derek for sharing your gorgeous design!)
    .-= Tracy @ Comfort&Luxury´s last blog ..Field Trip: The Huntington, Part 3. The Garden’s Promise of Spring =-.

Julia, I absolutely love the kitchen from the movie and I love Derek’s “recreation”. This is a kitchen where you can feel cosy, where family really has its place and I can imagine all that laughter that is going on when the dinner is prepared. This kitchen is a story in itself…lovely…
    .-= petra voegtle´s last blog ..An opulent Lady’s Boudoir =-.

OH.MY.GOSH. Seriously? What? I can not even get over how stunning that kitchen is. WOW-ZA! Oh to have that kind of space … and money! :) One of the best ever, for sure!

My parents put an AGA in one of their Nantucket homes and most of their guests didn’t have a clue how to use it … including me! But it WAS gorgeous!
    .-= Polly´s last blog ..These two. =-.

17. Linda says

Love that kitchen, especially the ‘icebox’ refrigerator. Also, I have lusted for the entire house featured in the movie ‘Home Alone’ since the very first time I saw it.

18. Kim says

What a great looking kitchen. I bet the homeowners will be spending a lot of time in there. I would if I had that kitchen.

Oh wow, this kitchen is amazing! I loved the kitchen (and indeed the whole house) in Practical Magic…I watch it often because it is just so much eye candy! Thankyou for sharing x
    .-= Tina´s last blog ..Like a Puppet on a String =-.

20. Kat in Texas says

I like Derek’s kitchen more than the movie version. Stunning design! If I had a kitchen that fabulous, I’d sleep in it!

21. Lucy says

Practical Magic was the best ever movie kitchen for me. The whole house just stays with people who have seen the film, it’ s amazing. I love it!!!

I am super jealous and happy for the owners all in one. I am pretty sure they know what an amazing kitchen they have.

Man I better start saving up my pennies for the someday. This is without a doubt my dream kitchen!
    .-= stefanie´s last blog ..A discussion =-.

23. Tiffany says

Definitely a memorable part of that movie. The recreation looks amazing too!

24. E. George says

Hi Julia great post thanks – love love love it. No I have not won the lottery yet you would have had that invite. I wonder how much it would set you back – over here I think at least $50K Aus. and then some. A magic lamp would come in handy right now. I would settle for the kitchen in the movie Just Like Heaven I don’t ask for much do I? This was fun you made my day. Regards Esther from (hot and cold) Sydney.

This is one of those posts that makes me want to get up from the computer, grab my design kit and go into the kitchen to gut it and get it right! I bookmarked the post you did on the ‘Magic Kitchen’ last time. Synchronicity sent it spookily back again today. Thank you, m’dear!

PS I can’t remember if I told you, but I got the Alexandra Stoddard book for Christmas after you raved about it.
    .-= janice |Sharing the Journey´s last blog ..Writing Snow =-.

OMGosh! That is one of the most spectacular kitchens I have ever seen. I loved the kitchen in the movie, but Derek’s version is just fabulous! Too bad my budget won’t allow for a Derek makeover of my kitchen! :o(
    .-= Cyndi´s last blog ..And the Winner Is… =-.

Wow! That is close! Derek did a fantastic job! I love the windows {above the doorway and cabinets} and how that area just flows with the cabinets. Love the island/table and how the dark wood works so well with the white. Those tiles around the stove look exact! I love that this looks like one of those kitchens where you could sit and chat with your hubby or best friend over a cup of coffee, or have everyone from your dinner party hanging out and drinking their wine. I don’t cook much {or well}, but I love for a kitchen to really “hug” people when they come into a house. I feel that about this kitchen.

28. Beck says

This movie had a “farmers sink” before they were so popular again! This is MY KIND OF KITCHEN!!!

29. Gwen Rubenstein says

This kitchen is GORGEOUS!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

That is the most gorgeous…most perfect kitchen I have ever seen. It would feel like I died and went to heaven every time I walked into it. I’m in love…
    .-= Jaime´s last blog ..Tray Table… =-.

Incredible! I’m dying to know what the rest of the house looks like – not that’d I’d ever go into the rest of the house if that was my kitchen…!
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..Back off my car Punks! =-.

32. Jill says

THANK YOU!!! I absolutely love the kitchen from Practical Magic! And this designer has created a similar and wonderful kitchen. My husband & i are about to build our last home as we retire and this is the kitchen we’ll have. Thanks so much for all the photos.

33. Neil says

This is a fabulous kitchen! I am actually the owner of the AGA from the movie set – believe it or not the chrome bar still has the bend in it that you can see in some of the movie stills! We didn’t have the space for a ‘nook’ around the stove so we had a large copper hood custom made to fit over it. I think it looks pretty good but not quite like Derek’s kitchen unfortunately!

In truth, the only movie I’ve ever purchased to own is “Practical Magic” … just so I’d have images of that incredible kitchen to check out any and every time the spirit moves me … which is often. Have the issue of Victoria magazine featuring it as well, and even though I’m a still photographer myself, there’s just something about life (albeit a fantasy one) moving through that delightful kitchen that captures the wonder of it all. There’s only been one other kitchen that has swayed my imagination so wholly, and that was one featured in the old cooking show “Two Fat Ladies” (English). I believe it was shot in an old manor house converted into a boys school … all tiled in white with a huge round window dominating the room. Wish I could find a DVD or even a VHS of that show! What an incredible job Derek’s done on his … very inspirational. I’ve been gathering exquisitely bitty things to do a miniature replica in 1:12 scale … that should drive me to distraction for the rest of my life!

35. kimberly says

I came across this blog after searching for inspirations for our in the future home. He did an AMAZING job at this!! Brilliant.