A “Practical Magic”-Inspired Kitchen That Casts a Spell

by hookedonhouses on March 3, 2010

Practical Magic movie kitchen set

A few months ago, I showed you photos of the Victorian house from Practical Magic, a movie starring Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman. The kitchen was practically a character of its own and was one of the most memorable parts of the movie–at least for me. So I was excited when Derek, one of my long-time readers, sent me photos of a Practical Magic kitchen that he designed recently. It was part of an amazing Gothic Revival house project that he spent two years working on, and I think the results are stunning.

The photo above was taken on the set of the film and published in Victoria magazine in 1998. Here’s Derek’s version of the kitchen in the house he designed:

Derek's Gothic Revival Kitchen

“The AGA is almost like a shrine,” production designer Robin Standefer said of the gas stove that was the focal point of the movie kitchen. “This is the place where they do their work; it’s where they place the cauldron.” Derek’s clients have an AGA, too:

Derek's Practical Magic kitchen 1

The ceilings aren’t vaulted like they are in the movie, but they are beamed for a similar feel. A view of the kitchen from overhead in the movie:

Practical Magic movie kitchen-overhead

The kitchen Derek designed:

Derek's Practical Magic kitchen 2

Derek says:

“The point of this entire kitchen design was to make it look like it had existed for nearly a century. No islands with bar stools, no visible microwaves, all signs of modern conveniences gone. Even the Sub Zero was disguised. The choice of an AGA range, despite its weight, price and many special requirements was completely worth it to achieve this timeless look.”

The Sub Zero disguised as an icebox:

Sub Zero disguised as an icebox

The movie kitchen, looking into the dining area:

Practical Magic movie kitchen

And an almost identical opening in Derek’s house–love his meticulous attention to detail:

Derek's Practical Magic kitchen 4

I think the freestanding island is gorgeous. It looks like an antique, but Derek designed it himself and had it manufactured in Central America. He says, “It was designed after the large work tables found in some of the larger historic home kitchens.”

Derek's Practical Magic kitchen-island

Many thanks to Derek for letting me share this with you! For more details about the kitchen, visit Derek M Design. You can see more photos of the Victorian house from Practical Magic here. If you could have a kitchen inspired by any TV or movie house, which one would it be?

*UPDATE: You can see the rest of this house here.

You might also like these posts: Practical Magic: A Victorian House Fit for a Witch and A Something’s Gotta Give-Inspired House in Sun Valley, Idaho.

Chris March 3, 2010 at 8:08 am

Hands down, one of the dreamiest kitchens I’ve ever seen. Oh, how I love coming here to get inspired (and realize how poor I am!). :)
.-= Chris´s last blog ..Painting Furniture =-.

Kim~HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs March 3, 2010 at 8:29 am

What a lovely kitchen :)
.-= Kim~HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs´s last blog ..~? New Recipe Posted ?~ =-.

MissCaron March 3, 2010 at 8:30 am

Beautiful … great eye for detail! He did a great job and I love the SubZero disguised as an icebox!
.-= MissCaron´s last blog ..Macaroni and Soy Cheeze =-.

christy March 3, 2010 at 8:43 am

WOW! That is one of my favorite kitchen’s ever! I like his version even better than the one in the movie. How wonderful it is for whatever family gets to live there – SWOON!
.-= christy´s last blog ..A little dancing foo =-.

Vanessa March 3, 2010 at 8:44 am

Beautiful kitchen – love the elevation of the wall opening up to the dining room. Have to check out his website now.
.-= Vanessa´s last blog ..Design Inspiration…Stephen Knollenberg =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now March 3, 2010 at 8:45 am

WOW!!! I love his version even better. :) It’s so light and open. I wouldn’t mind washing dishes in there. ;)

duchess March 3, 2010 at 8:52 am

Absolutely beautiful! Love all of it – especially the brick. Great job, Derek!
.-= duchess´s last blog ..Birds & A Small Change =-.

Katie March 3, 2010 at 8:59 am

Wooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww………….I’m speechless……
.-= Katie´s last blog ..Little Girl Nursery =-.

nanne in columbus March 3, 2010 at 9:06 am

i’m in love!!!! thanks, julia, for the gorgeous pics!!

nanne

Susan March 3, 2010 at 9:15 am

Great kitchen! What a thoughtful interpretation of the original. Love it! I also love JC’s kitchen in her Vermont home in “Baby Boom”, Iris’s in “The Holiday” and Mary Richard’s kitchen on “The Mary Tyler Moore Show”. I loved the stained glass window that she could pull up to open into the rest of her charming apartment. Also loved the kitchen in “Christmas in Connecticut” with the dutch door. Sometimes I think that Hollywood set designers should be designing homes for the general public. Their sets are so much more inviting than what most builders design.

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo
.-= Susan´s last blog ..Vintage Baby Setting =-.

susie March 3, 2010 at 9:19 am

Wow, that kitchen is amazing. Derek did a fabulous job. The island is gorgeous. I like Derek’s design better than the movie set kitchen.
.-= susie´s last blog ..~ MY FIRST GIVEAWAY ~ =-.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints March 3, 2010 at 9:19 am

I’d take that kitchen:) Oprah did a show on Kirstie Alley’s kitchen a long time ago and I remember it being just gorgeous!
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Chase the Lion =-.

Joseph March 3, 2010 at 9:21 am

I don’t really know what I would do with a kitchen, were I blessed with all the room in the world in which to put said kitchen. And, yes, I do know that no one really has “all the room in the world,” but lots and lots of people have considerably more room than I have! All I can do, I guess, is just keep surfing the Internet, hoping that I will find designs that I can put to use in my own kitchen. A little here, a little there, that sort of thing. That said, I will say, and I DO say, that you have given me much to think about with your concepts, and I thank you for sharing your ideas. And who knows? Maybe one fine day I will be sharing an absolutely smashing, albeit small, kitchen design!
.-= Joseph´s last blog ..Pedini Modern Italian Kitchen Designs =-.

Sherry March 3, 2010 at 9:26 am

not only am i a kitchen lover…i’m also a movie lover. so your blog always makes me smile.
.-= Sherry´s last blog ..Thoughts from the weekend… =-.

Etta March 3, 2010 at 9:35 am

… I really love this kitchen… it’s so warm and charming…

Sarah @ Dream In Domestic March 3, 2010 at 9:38 am

Wow – Derek did an amazing job! I can’t even believe it! The stove really does make the kitchen as well as that insanely gorgeous island. I have never seen anyone in real life take their inspiration so seriously – but it sure paid off!
.-= Sarah @ Dream In Domestic´s last blog ..Brand New Target Shoes at Goodwill Prices =-.

donna good March 3, 2010 at 9:50 am

i am impressed!!!

middle sister March 3, 2010 at 9:52 am

Love when people break away from the standard high end kitchen and really go for it. An amazing accomplishment.

Shannon March 3, 2010 at 10:04 am

Oh My!! I love that kitchen. And it makes me rethink disguising appliances. Derek is a fabulous designer that doesn’t overlook one detail. Thanks, Julia, for sharing.
.-= Shannon´s last blog ..DIY of the Week – Braided Rag Rug =-.

Barbara March 3, 2010 at 10:12 am

I LOVE these kitchens, both of them. I’ve watched Practical Magic so many times, and fall in love with that kitchen every time! I also LOVE her little shop in town, could you show us some of that? :-)
I especially love what Derek has done with the glass panes over the walk through to the dining area!
Barbara
.-= Barbara´s last blog ..Hello world! =-.

hookedonhouses March 3, 2010 at 11:05 am

Barbara–

I’ve got photos of the shop in my Practical Magic post. You can see it here:

-Julia

tina poulsen March 3, 2010 at 10:15 am

Gorgeous! What an accomplishment! Wish I were friends with him so I could come over & cook!
If I were to do it, I’d have to go with Erica Berry’s Hamptons’ kitchen (& living room…&bedroom..) Maybe I could just live in that rental house you showed in Utah!
.-= tina poulsen´s last blog ..Oh, it’s Ree! =-.

Gerry March 3, 2010 at 10:19 am

Chris@PaintingFurniture, you took the words right out of my mouth.
This kitchen is amazing!

Susan S March 3, 2010 at 10:20 am

Holy moley!! You can see the love (put into it)!!

Stephanie March 3, 2010 at 10:21 am

What a lovely kitchen!!
.-= Stephanie´s last blog ..Dangle your feet (or paws) Wordless Wednesday =-.

Richella at Imparting Grace March 3, 2010 at 10:29 am

Oh, my. What a beautiful, beautiful space. And another AGA. Ummm. When I’m a gazillionaire, I’ll have a house somewhere where it doesn’t get hot. . . and that kitchen will have an AGA. And I’ll invite you over for a cup of tea.
.-= Richella at Imparting Grace´s last blog ..A welcoming space =-.

peggy March 3, 2010 at 11:07 am

One of the most personable kitchens ever! What a designer. Great pics and super job.

Celia March 3, 2010 at 11:09 am

This is an amazing kitchen design. It is gorgeous and I love the “ice box” look. One thing I did notice though :) The island does not have any leg room… but overall the kitchen is amazing. Love the stove too!

LoveFeast Table March 3, 2010 at 11:28 am

Love the island!! But, then again, I’m partial to tables! :)
.-= LoveFeast Table´s last blog ..Double Delicious Bars Recipe =-.

Evelyn March 3, 2010 at 11:44 am

I LOVE IT….I WANT IT!!!!!!

Tracy @ Comfort&Luxury March 3, 2010 at 11:47 am

How beautiful. Love those two “islands” pushed together and the wall between the kitchen and dining room… wow. The Practical Magic house is one of my all-time fave movie houses. Love it that someone (homeowner+designer) went so far to replicate the look but in a modern, “practical” way. Thanks Julia! (and thanks to Derek for sharing your gorgeous design!)
.-= Tracy @ Comfort&Luxury´s last blog ..Field Trip: The Huntington, Part 3. The Garden’s Promise of Spring =-.

pattie and allie March 3, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Absolutely one of my top 3 fave kitchens! Bravo derek!!
.-= pattie and allie´s last blog ..Priest Stranglers and a Tiramisu Cheesecake =-.

petra voegtle March 3, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Julia, I absolutely love the kitchen from the movie and I love Derek’s “recreation”. This is a kitchen where you can feel cosy, where family really has its place and I can imagine all that laughter that is going on when the dinner is prepared. This kitchen is a story in itself…lovely…
.-= petra voegtle´s last blog ..An opulent Lady’s Boudoir =-.

Hip Hip Gin Gin March 3, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Oh my gosh, to have a large table like that in the kitchen! To be able to roll out dough and prep and just generally have all that room. Lucky, lucky homeowners! That is a true family kitchen, made to spend evenings in together. Amazing!
.-= Hip Hip Gin Gin´s last blog ..Oscar Countdown: “The Thin Man”, 1934 =-.

Polly March 3, 2010 at 12:31 pm

OH.MY.GOSH. Seriously? What? I can not even get over how stunning that kitchen is. WOW-ZA! Oh to have that kind of space … and money! :) One of the best ever, for sure!

My parents put an AGA in one of their Nantucket homes and most of their guests didn’t have a clue how to use it … including me! But it WAS gorgeous!
.-= Polly´s last blog ..These two. =-.

Ann March 3, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I love the tile hood around the AGA range. Superb!
.-= Ann´s last blog ..Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend =-.

Linda March 3, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Love that kitchen, especially the ‘icebox’ refrigerator. Also, I have lusted for the entire house featured in the movie ‘Home Alone’ since the very first time I saw it.

Kim March 3, 2010 at 2:10 pm

What a great looking kitchen. I bet the homeowners will be spending a lot of time in there. I would if I had that kitchen.

Tina March 3, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Oh wow, this kitchen is amazing! I loved the kitchen (and indeed the whole house) in Practical Magic…I watch it often because it is just so much eye candy! Thankyou for sharing x
.-= Tina´s last blog ..Like a Puppet on a String =-.

Kat in Texas March 3, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I like Derek’s kitchen more than the movie version. Stunning design! If I had a kitchen that fabulous, I’d sleep in it!

Shannon of ** Happiness Is...** March 3, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I don’t know about the kitchen, but one of my favorite movie houses is “When a Stranger Calls” :)
.-= Shannon of ** Happiness Is…**´s last blog ..Helvetica Cookie Cutters =-.

Pat March 3, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Oh I’m feasting on some delishish eye candy! Both of these are the kitchens of my dreams. Derek did an amazing job, just amazing!
I never get enough of your blog, thank you for constantly making my day!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..Back From Capri – The Isle, Not The Pants =-.

Lucy March 3, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Practical Magic was the best ever movie kitchen for me. The whole house just stays with people who have seen the film, it’ s amazing. I love it!!!

stefanie March 3, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I am super jealous and happy for the owners all in one. I am pretty sure they know what an amazing kitchen they have.

Man I better start saving up my pennies for the someday. This is without a doubt my dream kitchen!
.-= stefanie´s last blog ..A discussion =-.

Tiffany March 3, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Definitely a memorable part of that movie. The recreation looks amazing too!

Lesley @ TheDesignFile March 3, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Nice! And I do think he accomplished the goal of creating a kitchen that looks like it had been there forever.
.-= Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..Etsy pick: Handblown glass sinks – stunning! =-.

Stephanie Lynn March 3, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Wow what a stunning space. Such incredible attention to detail. Love every inch! Thanks for keeping up such an inspiring site with lots of amazing eye candy!
.-= Stephanie Lynn´s last blog ..A Playroom of My Own ~ My Craft Workshop =-.

Pamela Rosenberg March 4, 2010 at 12:00 am

In a word, exquisite.
.-= Pamela Rosenberg´s last blog ..Joyce Shelton Giftware = Accent Heaven =-.

Karena March 4, 2010 at 12:46 am

Wow, I love the very first shot/. image! What a treat! Julia you are the best to show us these great properties!
Karena
Art by Karena
.-= Karena´s last blog ..Stormy Sea in Winter =-.

E. George March 4, 2010 at 1:08 am

Hi Julia great post thanks – love love love it. No I have not won the lottery yet you would have had that invite. I wonder how much it would set you back – over here I think at least $50K Aus. and then some. A magic lamp would come in handy right now. I would settle for the kitchen in the movie Just Like Heaven I don’t ask for much do I? This was fun you made my day. Regards Esther from (hot and cold) Sydney.

janice |Sharing the Journey March 4, 2010 at 7:57 am

This is one of those posts that makes me want to get up from the computer, grab my design kit and go into the kitchen to gut it and get it right! I bookmarked the post you did on the ‘Magic Kitchen’ last time. Synchronicity sent it spookily back again today. Thank you, m’dear!

PS I can’t remember if I told you, but I got the Alexandra Stoddard book for Christmas after you raved about it.
.-= janice |Sharing the Journey´s last blog ..Writing Snow =-.

Cyndi March 4, 2010 at 8:53 am

OMGosh! That is one of the most spectacular kitchens I have ever seen. I loved the kitchen in the movie, but Derek’s version is just fabulous! Too bad my budget won’t allow for a Derek makeover of my kitchen! :o(
.-= Cyndi´s last blog ..And the Winner Is… =-.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions March 4, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Wow! That is close! Derek did a fantastic job! I love the windows {above the doorway and cabinets} and how that area just flows with the cabinets. Love the island/table and how the dark wood works so well with the white. Those tiles around the stove look exact! I love that this looks like one of those kitchens where you could sit and chat with your hubby or best friend over a cup of coffee, or have everyone from your dinner party hanging out and drinking their wine. I don’t cook much {or well}, but I love for a kitchen to really “hug” people when they come into a house. I feel that about this kitchen.

Lisa March 4, 2010 at 6:59 pm

This is fantastic!!

le@whoopwhoop March 6, 2010 at 5:50 pm

wow I love this kitchen – what a fab job Mr D has done – very movie worthy – best le
.-= le@whoopwhoop´s last blog ..Alexandra Angle … sigh …. =-.

Beck March 6, 2010 at 6:52 pm

This movie had a “farmers sink” before they were so popular again! This is MY KIND OF KITCHEN!!!

Adrienne @ Susan Palmer Designs March 7, 2010 at 3:02 am

Just absolutely beautiful — when can I move in? :) Love the overlay panels making the ref look like an icebox!

Gwen Rubenstein March 10, 2010 at 11:26 am

This kitchen is GORGEOUS!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

rue March 10, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Holy smokes Julia! I would think that I had died and gone to heaven every time I walked in there if it was mine. It’s perfect!

rue
.-= rue´s last blog ..The snow is gone now… =-.

Jaime March 19, 2010 at 9:16 pm

That is the most gorgeous…most perfect kitchen I have ever seen. It would feel like I died and went to heaven every time I walked into it. I’m in love…
.-= Jaime´s last blog ..Tray Table… =-.

Rachel March 22, 2010 at 5:44 am

Incredible! I’m dying to know what the rest of the house looks like – not that’d I’d ever go into the rest of the house if that was my kitchen…!
.-= Rachel´s last blog ..Back off my car Punks! =-.

Jill July 15, 2010 at 10:27 am

THANK YOU!!! I absolutely love the kitchen from Practical Magic! And this designer has created a similar and wonderful kitchen. My husband & i are about to build our last home as we retire and this is the kitchen we’ll have. Thanks so much for all the photos.

Neil January 10, 2011 at 6:13 pm

This is a fabulous kitchen! I am actually the owner of the AGA from the movie set – believe it or not the chrome bar still has the bend in it that you can see in some of the movie stills! We didn’t have the space for a ‘nook’ around the stove so we had a large copper hood custom made to fit over it. I think it looks pretty good but not quite like Derek’s kitchen unfortunately!

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints January 14, 2011 at 4:50 pm

SO beyond dreamy…holy cow!
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Fresh and Simple with Lissa =-.

LA King January 19, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Love both! Thanks for sharing.
.-= LA King´s last blog ..The Cinque Terre =-.

Monica Roberts January 25, 2011 at 12:39 pm

In truth, the only movie I’ve ever purchased to own is “Practical Magic” … just so I’d have images of that incredible kitchen to check out any and every time the spirit moves me … which is often. Have the issue of Victoria magazine featuring it as well, and even though I’m a still photographer myself, there’s just something about life (albeit a fantasy one) moving through that delightful kitchen that captures the wonder of it all. There’s only been one other kitchen that has swayed my imagination so wholly, and that was one featured in the old cooking show “Two Fat Ladies” (English). I believe it was shot in an old manor house converted into a boys school … all tiled in white with a huge round window dominating the room. Wish I could find a DVD or even a VHS of that show! What an incredible job Derek’s done on his … very inspirational. I’ve been gathering exquisitely bitty things to do a miniature replica in 1:12 scale … that should drive me to distraction for the rest of my life!

kimberly May 12, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I came across this blog after searching for inspirations for our in the future home. He did an AMAZING job at this!! Brilliant.

{ 2 trackbacks }