Sarah Richardson’s Home for the Holidays

by hookedonhouses on December 23, 2013

Sarah Richardson's Ontario holiday house

Every December, designer Sarah Richardson heads north to her weekend getaway in Ontario to spend the holidays there with her husband Alexander and daughters Robin and Fiona. She told HGTV Magazine, “It’s two weeks of nonstop baking, family visits, and snowy adventures.”

Sarah Richardson at home in Ontario

When you live in Canada, a big mudroom like this would be a must-have. Sarah used a soft green-blue paint (looks like Tidewater by Sherwin-Williams) for the closet doors and found the vintage light fixture at a Toronto flea market. Wall hooks are mounted low enough that the girls can hang their own things when they come in.

Sarah Richardson's Ontario holiday house mudroom

“I love icy colors year-round, and they work especially well in this house,” Sarah says. This nook is “their little hideaway.”

Sarah Richardson's Ontario holiday house kids room

The kitchen has white shutter-style upper cabinets and soft gray lower cabinets. “We bake a lot, so I wanted durable countertops,” says Sarah. She chose white quartz for the counters and cream and gray quartz for the island. “Spilled wine, hot pots, even paint haven’t harmed them,” she says.

Sarah Richardson's Ontario holiday house kitchen

She says the girls love to sit on the window seat in the kitchen’s eating area, which has a practical, “heavy-duty leather cushion.”

Sarah Richardson's Ontario holiday house dining room

Check the December issue of HGTV Magazine for the story by Jessica Dodell-Feder and all the photos by Bjorn Wallander.

Sarah Richardson's Ontario holiday house living room

Hooked on Sarah Richardson’s Designs? Click here to see more, including…

All About Sarah Richardson on HGTV“Sarah’s House” on HGTV

{ 28 comments… read them below or add one }

House Crazy Sarah December 23, 2013 at 10:34 am

In Canada, a mudroom is INDEED a necessity to take off all the winter boots and gear! In fact the custom in Canada is that everyone takes off their shoes/boots at the door so as not to track muddy snow around the house!

Another difference I learned when I moved to the US from Canada: “washroom” in Canada means BATHROOM; whereas “washroom” in America means LAUNDRY ROOM! (Caused a bit of confusion and embarrassment for me at first!)

hookedonhouses December 23, 2013 at 11:22 am

I’ll keep that in mind the next time I visit Canada. Ha. :)

Kay December 23, 2013 at 11:19 am

Saw it. Loved it. Yet wondered what happened to that fabulous brick farmhouse in which Sarah + her family had been spending their holidays. ?? You know the one, with the yellow + gray kitchen + fabric/wallpaper dining room, right?

hookedonhouses December 23, 2013 at 11:21 am

I do know the one you mean. She apparently owns multiple houses because there’s also the cottage on the water. Can you imagine having to decide which of your beautiful homes to spend the holidays in each year? Decisions, decisions… :)

Jean in BC December 23, 2013 at 11:33 am

Loved the farmhouse (and all her projects)! She sold the farmhouse a few years ago.

hookedonhouses December 23, 2013 at 11:38 am

So that explains it! I would have had a hard time selling that one, I think. Loved it.

Frances December 23, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Actually Sarah sold the farm house a few years ago and bought this place instead. If you follow her on Facebook she is always posting pictures of her adventures

Christina from Dallas December 23, 2013 at 11:54 am

So pretty! I always find it amazing when someone can decorate for Christmas without using too much red and green. Karianne from Thistlewood Farms knows how to do this also. Takes some creativity.

hookedonhouses December 23, 2013 at 11:58 am

True!

Jennah December 23, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Sarah has her own paint line here so I’ve no doubt those beautiful, soft colours are her own creation. Besides her Toronto home and her island cottage, she has her beautiful farmhouse outside of a town called Creemore, Ontario. It was, at one point, listed for sale but was taken off the market as the family loved it too much to sell. I have a friend who lives in the nearby town and they often see the Younger family at the shops and market. I’ve always said my lotto dream would be to have Sarah design my home from top to bottom. I love her style. Two years ago I was ‘thisclose’ to her at a Balzac’s coffee shop. My celebrity gush moment. ;-)

hookedonhouses December 23, 2013 at 12:36 pm

That would be my kind of celebrity run-in! :)

tricia @ littlecottageonthepond December 23, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Love her design aesthetic and love following her on Instagram :) Happy Christmas to you and yours, Julia!

hookedonhouses December 23, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Thanks, Tricia! Same to you! :)

Kelly - Talk of the House December 23, 2013 at 4:16 pm

love everything that woman does! She is one of only a few I would give total freedom to decorate my house. This place is gorgeous, but I still love that farmhouse more than any of her spaces.
Merry Christmas Julia!

hookedonhouses December 23, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Thanks, Kelly! Same to you! :)

missgulfsouth December 23, 2013 at 5:21 pm

THAT CHRISTMAS TREE ! ! !

I love Sarah, she is spectacular. Everything she does makes me drool. Thanks for sharing, Julia!

Wishing you and yours a Very Merry Christmas and a Most Blessed New Year!

Jim Winston December 23, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I want a winter house to go to and get away for two weeks during the holidays. I would love the idea of a white christmas every year and to be able to sled and ski.

Alie B December 23, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Sarah is a design genius. Cute as a button too! :) Merry Christmas everyone! :)

hookedonhouses December 23, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Merry Christmas, Alie! :)

Christy December 23, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I LOVE Sarah Richardson’s design style. Where the heck does she find all of those fabulous prints? How does she combine all those fabulous prints and end up with a room that looks like an insane person designed it??? I try, but I have yet to to manage even a fraction of her style.

Christy December 23, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Obviously I meant how does she combine those fabrics and NOT have a room that looks like an insane person designed it. I love you Sarah, I definitely do not think you and Tommy are insane! LOL

hookedonhouses December 24, 2013 at 8:27 am

Ha! :)

Kim December 23, 2013 at 10:51 pm

I love her sense of style. Like Kelly said, she’s someone I would trust to decorate my house.

Maggie S December 26, 2013 at 4:14 pm

I just looked on HGTV website and it looks as if there is another “Sarah” marathon on January 7th starting at 7:30 until noon! Set your recorders!

hookedonhouses December 26, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Yay! Thanks, Maggie. :)

Kelly December 27, 2013 at 7:22 pm

What I love the most about her, is if you see any of her work from her old shows like Design Inc., (2006) it still looks beautiful and stylish!!

Susanne December 30, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Sarah is fantastic at getting those great flea market finds. Thanks for sharing this. I adore Sarah’s designs and would love to have her design a home for me someday. Someday when I win the lottery. LOL!

Karen T. January 3, 2014 at 6:39 pm

I love Sarah’s design aesthetic and everything she does. I really miss her show on HGTV.