Trina & Mike’s Country Farmhouse in Oregon

Country Farmhouse before

Readers of the blog A Country Farmhouse followed Trina and Mike’s adventures in fixing up this old farmhouse that sits on 7 acres in Oregon. We oohed and ahhed over every update and room tour. So I think they heard a collective gasp of shock from their followers when they announced that they’re selling the farmhouse and moving on. After all the work they put into it, here’s how it looks now:

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (1)

They raised the house higher off the ground and added dormers and a wraparound porch. The white picket fence and gardens add even more charm.

Here’s another before photo that shows the side of the house:

Country Farmhouse before 2

She explains, “It was built in 1923. It’s a simple one and a half story farmhouse that endured a little neglect, some quirky additions, and a very 1970’s style ‘remodel.'”

They wanted to give it a more classic farmhouse look. Here’s how that side of the house looks now:

side of the farmhouse

“The serene country setting offers everything we were looking for in a country home…privacy, peace and quiet, oodles of opportunities for long walks just outside our font door and spectacular views of rolling farmland with Mt. Adams as a backdrop.”

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (33)

If it looks familiar, it may be because it’s been featured in Country Living, and I wrote a post about how it was decorated for Christmas last year (A White Christmas in a Country Farmhouse).

Trina-and-Mike-family-portrait-A-Country-Farmhouse-CL

The previous owner was known for feeding any wildlife that came knocking at her door: “This included deer, skunk, raccoon, opossum and BEAR. That’s right, she fed bear. Right off that back deck.”

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (47)

“Although we hadn’t set out to necessarily buy a fixer upper, this house had so much potential and offered such a lovely spot in the country, that we decided that it was an opportunity we couldn’t pass up. Upon taking ownership of the property in June of 2006, we immediately began working on our vision for the house.”

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (26)

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (6)

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (23)

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (46)

I’ve been wanting wood countertops in my kitchen ever since I saw them in hers.

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (45)

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (52)

The house has 3 bedrooms and 2 baths:

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (10)

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (17)

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (40)

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (34)

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (4)

The dining room was a new addition:

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (25)

It leads to a stone patio outside:

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (5)

They have gorgeous panoramic views of Mt. Adams and the Hood River Valley:

views from the porch

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (14)

Country Living recently featured the guest house makeover: “Between them, Trina and Mike Burke claim six siblings, 12 nieces and nephews, and countless friends—aka a whole lot of houseguests. Good thing, then, that the couple’s barn contains a 400-square-foot loft. Not so great? The space, last remodeled in the ’70s, bore all the telltale signs of the era.”

guest house bedroom before makeover

“The Burkes considered a gut renovation…until their contractor issued an $80,000 estimate. Instead, the two took matters into their own hands, hiding the fiberboard ceiling beneath inexpensive beadboard panels and giving the dated kitchenette a fast facelift with new hardware and butcher-block counters.”

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (32)

Cost for the DIY guest house makeover? Fifteen grand. Trina told the mag, “Now the loft is so cozy, Mike and I like to escape there ourselves!”

guest house kitchen before makeover

In the Country Living feature, they gave some source info, which is why there are blue dots all over it in the photo below. You can read the article here.

white guesthouse in Country Living

Country Living photos were taken by James Baigrie and styled by Heather Bullard, who wrote about the experience on her blog.

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (21)

You can read more about the guest house remodel here.

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (31)

It’s on the market for $739,000. For more photos and information, check the listing by Tim Donahue of Windermere and Trina’s blog A Country Farmhouse. (You can see how it looked at Christmas in the post I wrote last year.)

A Country Farmhouse for sale in Oregon (42)

Wishing them all the best as they move on from their country farmhouse. I can’t wait to see what they do next!

Julia signature 4

P.S. If You’re Hooked on Farmhouse Style:

Rie's Victorian-Style Farmhouse

“Home & Harmony” Blogger Selling Victorian Farmhouse

small living room makeover Blissful Bee
When Amy moved into her new house, she says she was "a bit nervous to sign the lease" because it was smaller than she was…
Craftsman in Portland Heights for sale (1)
This unusual "Grand Craftsman," which was built in 1915 with three stories and nearly 9,000 square feet in Portland Heights, was designed by Oregon's first…

Comments

1. laney says

…this house…like joan and dan’s house of “for the love of a house” fame…has always taken my breath away…precious precious people…blessings wherever they may land….laney

I have always loved this house. It is proof that simple is beautiful. It’s truly an “Un-decorated house” with only the minimum to make it charming and comfy.

I’m guessing this house will last about 5 minutes on the market. I do hope Mike and Trina blog their new house.

3. Lisa says

My favorite place was the porch with amazing view. I would like to see houses like this less styled and more personal.

• says

Hola
      Lisa, while the house is perfection, I agree that I prefer seeing homes that reflect their owners just a tad more than this one does.
      KAY

4. Emma says

What a fabulous house and a spectacular, dreamy view! (I do hope that framed art over the crib is just for staging the house, tho’ !)

5. Wendy says

Love what they did to the house. Still too white and sterile for me in terms of decorating, but that’s clearly their style. My guess is that they have created the perfect canvas for the next family’s style.

6. Rebecca C. says

So beautiful and serene. I remember that guest house from Country Living too. On to the next project!

7. Corinne says

Her house is pure perfection. The people that buy it are lucky indeed. If I didn’t live on the other side of the country ( and didn’t have so many kids) I would buy it! I can’t wait to see there new home. Hope she continues blogging.

Their house in Country Living was one of my favorites ever featured….love all the white and wood and the simplicity of the home. I also wanted butcher block in my kitchen when I saw theirs…I can’t wait to see the next home they redo….

• says

Hola
      Gabrielle, IKEA has nice, chunky butcher block countertops that aren’t that expensive. Now I’m thinking about it, too . . . .
      KAY

• Maribeth says

I also fell in love with these countertops after first reading about their beautiful home. I have now had the Ikea oak countertops (sealed with several coats of Waterlox) in my kitchen for a year and I still love them as much as on the day we installed them! With three little kids, I was a bit nervous about how they would hold up, but they still look brand new and give an amazing warmth to offset our white cabinets that I just love. Plus they were SUPER reasonable! Good luck, ladies!!

9. Tracie says

Absolutely gorgeous home! I love the home itself, the clean palette and the use of antiques throughout….definitely my style! …and the views, wow! I wish I could pick my family up and head to Oregon right now!

10. Laura says

Wow! That’s a gorgeous house. I adore the exterior, and those views! As for the interior, if I were buying it I’d want them to leave everything, then I’d just add some oriental rugs, oil paintings, and wall color here and there. One of the best houses I’ve seen.

11. Jen says

what beautiful inside and out i adore the wraparound porch. & The white picket fence its to cute

12. Alie B says

They have put so much work into this place! It’s sort of a shame that they’re moving, but I’m sure their next home will be gorgeous as well! :-)

13. Tania says

This has made me rethink my whole decorating style for my own house. I love it so much I could cry. I want to buy it – pity I live on the other side of the world!

I know they had delays in getting pregnant. Wonder if the location/lifestyle helped the end result?

Acreage, beauty, diy, work, types of food they’ve chosen…..

Have adored watching their babies grow via the blog.

Garden & Be Well, XO T

Love M&T’s house. The blog too.
    The view from the porch is breathtaking.
    I’ll miss seeing it in all it’s blooming glory.
    Can’t wait to see where they land.

16. Kae says

There is not one thing I would change about this home. This is seriously one of the best homes I have ever seen!! It is absolutely perfect!!

17. nanne says

one of my favorite blogs! love her style, both decorating and writing. i was so sad when she posted that they were selling the house. hoping she will continue to blog and share her new life in whatever home they find.

18. ss says

Eh, these photos depress me. My house couldn’t stay that clean for five seconds.

Oh this is heaven! I’m originally from Oregon and miss it sooooo much! I did not see the town where it is located. Do you know? Thank you so much for sharing a bit of home for me today!!~~Angela

Breathtakingly beautiful. I would love to live there…that view!!! It would be awful hard for me to give that up. Must be something REALLY great out there to move away from that. I would be thrilled with just the guesthouse. :)

21. Sue says

Hi Julia! Beautiful farmhouse! They have done a wonderful job!

I wanted to let you know I could only get to this article by accessing it through your e-newsletter. When I click on it through your blog I am redirected to a site called “realreal.com” selling something. Thru the newsletter page I am redirected to “priceslocker.com” when clicking on the link for the story about the guesthouse.

Sue

• says

What in the world? I have no idea why it would be doing that. I’m glad you told me so I can try to block those domains altogether. Thanks, Sue!

22. stef says

I agree that the kitchen counters are beautiful as are the wooden floors.
    What views…lovely, lovely home.

23. Esther George says

Hi Julia this home is beautiful… I’m with you on the kitchen counter tops they look great. You know with all that effort in the renovation and with a view like that there is no way I could let it go (you know the scene in Ghost where Woopie can’t let go of the cheque) that would be me not letting go of this home. Thank you for sharing. Till next time Regards Esther from Sydney. PS watched Ghost for the hundredth time still has the same effect on me. It’s that time of the year on TV (repeats).

I am sad to see the house sold, but am going to enjoy the next one as well. Their taste in interiors, the beauty of white on white and the simple furnishings left me speechless many times. It was inspirational.

25. Linzy says

You’re killin’ it this week! Another one of my favorites.

I’m with Laney. Joan and Dan’s house (FTLOAH) and this house have a very similar feel and sensibility. I can’t believe they are selling! I would buy it just for the hydrangeas (and it’s probably the only part of the house I could afford! LOL!!)
    Best wishes with their next endeavor….I, like you Julia, will be waiting with baited breath! 😉

27. Chiara says

When I read that they would have left I couldn’t believe it… I would be totally unable to leave a house like that!

28. Carolyn says

I, too, couldn’t believe it when I read they were selling and moving on. I’m sure they have their reasons, but STILL . . . They are a lovely family. I’m hoping there will be pictures and stories of the next house. Love their style, though I somehow can’t live with an all white and neutral palette, as much as I admire it.

29. Amanda says

Always loved this house. And I want those countertops, too!

30. Kim says

I love this home! It’s very peaceful and nice. I also love the property. It’s my dream to own acres someday and this would be a perfect place to live.

31. Lisa says

I love their simple style. I can’t even believe it is the same house in these photos! Anyone know where they have moved to? Can’t wait to see what they do.

32. Candice in Georgetown ON Canada says

Just amazing! I wouldn’t change a thing . . . except move it to Georgetown.

33. Karen says

What a gorgeous view and the Hood River Valley is sublime and with such a view a porch makes perfect sense. This is impressive and I really love what they’ve done to the place, especially the wraparound porch. I’d say that they’ve succeeded in giving it the classic farmhouse look. Love the gardens and the picket fence and I agree that it adds a lot of charm. I like the bedding in what looks like the master bedroom and wonder where she scored that. I also adore the guest house. I always wonder when people put so much time and energy into a place if it is hard to move on. I know that it would be for me as it seems like the type of place where one would want to put down some roots.

34. Kathleen says

How could I find out the name of the Ikea bed? I cannot find it on the website.
    Thank you!

35. Robb7 says

Fabulous home!! You can see a lot of thought and good decisions went into its creation.

36. Carli says

What’s with ALL the white décor after these people move in? White walls, furniture and curtains? No type of color scheme and just BLAND.

37. Bri says

It’s such a lovely house, I don’t mind all the white and color can be added so many ways. It looks like they have often brought in flowers, which I love.

I’m a little confused about how this could be considered a farm house though. On the east cost this would be considered a cottage or a bungalow.

I hope they enjoy the next chapter in their lives now that they have moved on from this house.