It’s a Snow Day at My House–Come On In!

Snow Day at My House-BackyardOn Tuesday night it started “pouring snow” and by Wednesday morning the school called a Snow Day. Woo-hoo! There’s something thrilling about an unexpected day off, especially when the snow is piling up outside and everything kind of comes to a standstill. I snapped some photos around the house while the snow was falling and thought I’d share them with you today. Come on in!

my sunroom on a snowy day 2

We don’t use the sunroom as much on the coldest days of winter, but yesterday we cranked up the heat and settled in to enjoy the view.

my sunroom on a snowy day 5

My mom was here with us and said, “Your backyard looks like Narnia!”

view of backyard in the snow

Spring is right around the corner, so we’ll enjoy the snow while it lasts. Hot chocolate, anyone?

my sunroom on a snowy day 3-13

For Valentine’s Day, my husband Dave surprised me with this vintage strawberry jam jar:

vintage strawberry jam jar

I used to have one like it that I found at an antiques store, but last year he accidentally knocked it off the kitchen counter and broke the little green lid. He said was determined to track down another one for me. How sweet is that?

He also found two old Nancy Drew Mysteries that were missing from my childhood collection. I keep them in the playroom, so let’s head upstairs and I’ll show you…

our playroom 313

They still make me smile every time I see them:

Nancy Drew yellow backs-playroom 3-13 2

Dave noticed that I was missing volumes 12 and 15 and got them for me.

Nancy Drew mysteries Dave gave me

I can’t wait to read The Haunted Bridge and The Message in the Hollow Oak. Does anyone else collect those older editions with the yellow spines?

My Nancy Drew Mysteries yellow backs

I love the view of the snow-covered backyard from the playroom, too. So peaceful…

playroom window snowy scene

Thanks for stopping by on this cold, wintry day. Anyone else enjoy a snow day this week?

Julia signature 4

P.S. Visit “My House” to see more of it, including…

The Day the Monkeys Took Over the Playroom

master bath 11-12 black bench and new tile
So. Last time we talked about my master bathroom, I was feeling just a teensy bit emotional. We had just gotten new tile installed, which…
new blue ball heritage pint jars dining room
When I woke up on Monday and saw snow falling outside my window, I thought it must be an April Fool's Day joke. I mean,…

1. caddylou says

Ooh, I am so jealous! I lost my original Nancy Drew’s years ago in a move!! I miss them!!

2. Wade Watson says

That is so beautiful. It’s like Christmas in March. Also, I have appreciate a girl and her Nancy Drew series. I didn’t read Drew, but I read Tom Swift Jr. by the same publisher. Gosh, you have to wonder what are the ebook reading kids today going to collect when they’re our age.

Your sunroom and view are beautiful…incredible.

One question….does Dave have a twin brother for me? What an awesome guy.

My daughter started buying me Nancy Drew books because I only had library or borrowed copies when I was young. I love my collection and I actually enjoy reading them again. Great memories. I love how you display yours.

• says

No twin, but he does have two brothers who are pretty great guys. Not sure their wives would appreciate me setting them up with anyone, though. 😉

That is just beautiful…the contrast of your cheerfully happy rooms with the stark whiteness outside the windows. I too am jealous! Not one little bit of snow here this year (although someone said we had flurries around 6 a.m. Sunday morning that I missed.) No Nancy Drew here, but we do have the Hardy Boys!:)
    Enjoy your last dose of winter before spring arrives.

• says

My brother had the blue-backed Hardy Boys. Don’t know what happened to them, but I wish I had those, too! I was always sneaking copies of them out of his room to read when he wasn’t looking. Ha.

I collect Bobbsey twin mysteries. I have twin sons, am married to a twin and have twin sister-in-laws! I loved these as a little girl and have searched them out when ever I can. I particularly like the ones with the lavender spines since those are the ones I read as a child. I have some older ones as well! What a fun collection we BOTH have!

Thanks for sharing your gorgeous Narnia snowy day…

• says

I love that you collect the Bobbsey Twins! Perfect for a family with twins. I read some of those when I was little but never owned any, so they must have been from the library.

6. laney says

…beautiful!…the home and the snow…love the cookie jar…i received one just like it for a wedding persent 43 years ago…and i am old enough to remember nancy drew in the old blue covers…(and my big brother’s old hardy boys in brown covers)….i would love to have hot chocolate with you… pull a cookie out of that cookie jar…and dish (do people still say “dish”?) about nancy…blessings laney

• says

I have one with the blue cover. It’s so fun to look through the old illustrations in them. I’ll dish with you–come on over, Laney! :)

What a beautiful snowfall. Your views are gorgeous! It was so thoughtful of your husband to think of such special gifts!

8. Beth says

What a lovely tour! So cozy it almost makes me wish I wasn’t moving to Florida. I still have a New England heart. And your husband is a keeper! Stay snuggled up inside!

Beautiful! I just love all your color…makes me tempted to switch all my white out!

10. Alie B says

Awwwww, your hubby is so thoughtful! :)
    The snow around your place looks very pretty. We’ve had more snow days up here in Canuck land this year than you could shake a stick at. Unfortunately, “Snow Day” here only means that the school buses don’t run. The schools are still open. Being a teacher, that’s a bit of a drag; especially when the driving is really treacherous! As Canadians, we are expected to suck up whatever mother nature decides to grace us with! :)

• says

That’s so interesting that you lose busing on snow days but the schools stay open! That would be a bummer. This was the first snow day we had in 2 years. Last year we didn’t get any all winter, so the kids felt like they really deserved this day off. Ha.

• Alie B says

Last winter was rather light on snow for us too, but this year we have been dumped on time and again! I picked the right year to buy a truck! Glad the kids are enjoying their day. :)

Such a pretty room – and doesn’t it look gorgeous with all the snow on the trees!!

Love Nancy Drew books, I have 2 of the yellow spine books that I kept from when I was a teenager. I’ve never seen any of those books at thrift shops or second hand stores. I haven’t re-read them in a while either… hmmm now you’ve done it!!

Have a great day!

I have a collection of the yellow Nancy Drew books that used to belong to my mom. They sit on a table in our hallway. They’re great books that bring back a lot of memories.

13. Jennah says

I’m lucky in that my folks kept most of my childhood books including my yellow-bound Nancy Drew collection, my Bobbsie Twins books and my Sweet Valley High series (ack!). My older two have been inhaling my Nancy Drew books like candy. I have all but one (#16 – the Clue of the Tapping Heels which was lent to a friend years ago and never returned).

It’s postcard pretty here today. A light, refreshed blanket of snow has covered much of the landscape making the view out of the windows a true winter wonderland.

Your sunroom, as always, looks tranquil and lovely. Enjoy!

Love Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden. Need to get mine inventoried so i can finish the sets. Also, I love, love, love the little yellow vase in the photo next to your two new books.

I would have definitely hung out in the sunroom all day too with that lovely snow.

• Margot says

Love the Whitman edition Trixie Beldens with the full page illustrations. I have a few which came down through three previous sisters before me. I’ve been collecting them through antique stores, junk rooms and eBay! They have been republished and ‘updated’ but I’m sorry, they are just not as good. I always wanted a friend like Honey but I was always the one in trouble like Trixie. Wanted brothers, too, but no luck there either!

15. Lisa says

Love the pictures. Especially the spring feel in the sunroom looking out into the beautiful winter wonderland.

The Message in The Hollow Oak! Oh my gosh – that brings back memories! Great collection Julia and your house is adorable (snow or no snow).
    Thanks for sharing those pictures!

ps. Does your daughter read the Nancy Drew books?

17. Carolyn says

How lovely! We’ve missed a good snowfall this year. Nothing like a snow day where you just want to stare out the window and soak in the loveliness. I would have been in your pretty sunroom, too. Funny – another Nancy Drew collector. I collect the early blue cover ones – pre-1959, the first 34 volumes that weren’t revised. I grew up reading both blue and yellow covers. The series went through a major revision beginning in 1959 (and of course has been expanded and changed since then, too) which tried to correct certain racist stereotypes, revised language, updated and shortened them, but critics claim also made Nancy less assertive and more feminine. Re-reading them, there are certainly a lot of bad stereotypes, but I like Nancy’s gumption and her ‘roadster’. I have such fond memories of reading Nancy Drew, and I think the books helped foster a love of old houses – places with secret stairs and hidden doors. There was nothing like that in the modest ranch house I grew up in! And I remember “The Bungalow Mystery” — I had no idea what a bungalow was and looked it up – my first introduction to that style house (though my grandmother lived in one, but we never called it that!). In these early Nancy Drew books, an old house is really an old house. My ‘old house’ built in 1928, would have been a new house when we first meet Nancy in 1930!

• says

I always thought it would be so cool to drive a roadster like Nancy’s when I grew up! Sadly, I have a minivan instead.

There really were a lot of houses that featured in her mysteries like that bungalow you mentioned (like you, I had never heard of a bungalow before I got that book). On my shelf alone are titles like Mystery of the Moss-Covered Mansion and Ghost of Blackwood Hall. Maybe that’s why I loved them so much? :-)

• Mary says

I have the 34 original texts with dust jackets too! I never could have done it without eBay, though. The gem of my collection is a first edition “Wooden Lady” with Ned holding a cigarette in the frontispiece. I love the original texts because it’s interesting to read what life was like in the 1930s.

• Carolyn says

Wow. That’s a real collection! I don’t nearly have all 34, and no dust jackets, but I picked mine up cheap here and there years ago when you could still find the original classics in used book shops. Hadn’t looked on eBay. Now I’m tempted. . .

18. Fwitzie says

Aw how cozy. That was a beautiful snow! I cant believe you have all those Nancy drew books! I had them when I was a child as well but they are long gone… So nice to see them. Your house is looking beautiful!

Isn’t that kind of snowfall just so out of this world beautiful?
    We have had too much this yr..but I find that kind..gorgeous..

Pretty post:)

The Pacific Northwest didn’t really get snow this winter. We had a half inch on Christmas day. I am so jealous of anyone getting snow. You have a beautiful room to cozy up and enjoy the view. Thank you for sharing!

21. JMB says

Nancy Drew AND a beautiful sunroom = AWESOME!! I was an avid Nancy Drew reader as a kid and a couple of years ago found 5 first editions in an antique store for just $6 each. I love them!!

22. Amanda S. says

Wow, Julia! Beautiful pictures that leave someone like me (in Arizona) awestruck.

I have the same Nancy Drew books and one with a blue spine. I don’t have them all, but my daughter is a book hound and is starting to collect the rest for her baby girl. What’s funny about those old books is that I would write my name in them as soon as I got one. In the earlier ones I printed my name and then eventually began to write my name in my very best cursive. I get so sentimental seeing my handwriting and my mom’s handwriting sometimes, and I still have letters written to me by my husband’s grandmother!

23. Dean says

That view is stunning! We had a similar days in NC when I was growing up, but here in Atlanta snow is a rarity. (Not complaining though.) Love how quiet everything gets when it’s like that.

I used to read a series called “The Happy Hollisters,” about a family solving mysteries.

• Carolyn says

Loved The Happy Hollisters! Have one of those books somewhere. It has a red cover . . .

24. Brandy says

Wow! I live in the Deep South and almost never see such pretty scenes. Your husband is adorable–good catch 😉 For the (slightly) younger set out there, does anyone else collect Boxcar Children books or Babysitter’s Club ones? e-books just aren’t the same…

Julia – these photos are gorgeous! It is snowing here in Boston today and it looks beautiful. I love that your husband found your missing Nancy Drew volumes. I used to read those yellow, hard cover versions as well. Happy snow day!

Just lovely. Sometimes I truly miss winter. Right now, though, I’m ready for springtime here in Florida. Bring on the sunshine!

27. Linda W says

The pictures are beautiful! The snow makes an amazing backdrop through the windows. The Nancy Drew books really make me nostalgic! I read every one as a kid and now wish I still had them. :) Did you ever read Trixie Belden? They were popular when I was a kid too and also a favorite of mine, although I could be dating myself because I am older than you! :) Lovely photos, thank you for sharing them!

28. ShabbyChick says

I miss the snow :( ……but not the cold!!!! So beautiful. I just read The Haunted Bridge! My daughters collect the old yellow spines, so far they have 25, and my son has the entire collection of old Hardy Boys – I love to raid them from time to time! Enjoy your snow day and a cup of cocoa for me!

29. Sil says

Beautiful pics. I actually miss the snow – call me crazy. Currently living in the Hilton Head Island area but we miss our kids and are moving back to MI later this spring. I read all the Nancy Drew books I could find from the library and I read all the Hardy Boys as well. My kids were big readers growing up, but I just couldn’t get them interested in these!

30. Darlene says

Snow beautiful Snow! My favorite season is Winter, luckily I live in Canada so we get lots, but not as much as I want in my area.

I love Nancy – by my collection is Trixie Belden. I had only two as a child, my best friend had the set, so I borrowed hers. About 20 years ago when eBay was an infant I tracked down the rest of the set – and they are centre front on my bookshelf – still enjoy reading them, especially as an adult!

You have a very thoughtful husband to hunt these down for you!

31. Linda says

What beautiful snow pictures! In the Pacific Northwest it rains, with only a short couple days of snow in December :( I mowed my lawn for the first time this year the other day.

I read all the Nancy Drew’s when I was a kid and now have a small collection for my girls to read. I remember the Trixie Beldon series, and I had aunts that read older girls series – the Lennon Sisters and the older scholastic soft covers, “Ginnie and the Mystery Doll” being my favourite, I’ve always wanted to live by the seaside.

32. Rebecca C. says

Love the snow too, but not when it’s so cold. Thin blood I guess.

I loved reading Nancy Drew as a kid. I remember checking out the books at the school library. So much fun.

33. Jane says

Snow Days are the BEST!! And your sunroom is gorgeous in all seasons. Your husband is great, I remember him finding a first edition of Little Women (was it?) a couple of Christmases ago (my husband is banned from buying presents because they actually cause me more upset(!) because he is so clueless). I have 11 Bobbsey Twin books (starting from the 1920s) that my neighbour gave me for my antique bookshelves. I’m afraid they will fall apart if I crack them open.

Having only ever lived in the Bay Area (where the last recorded snow fall in my hometown was in the 60’s), I am fascinated and enchanted by the idea of snow. I know that it can be a huge inconvenience to live with every winter, but look how pretty! The fog and rain are never that magical looking! Plus, as a kid, never having experienced a snow day, I was always a bit jealous of my colder climate peers.

As for the Nancy Drew books, what a great collection! I have a few, the first four I believe, that were my mom’s as a girl.

Great call to crank up the heat and enjoy the view out of those beautiful windows! My goodness if I had such a wonderful wooded setting, I’d spend all day (between naps) staring out those windows! Maybe I wouldn’t even dislike winter…nah…I’d just want it shorter!
    What a loving husband you have…he listens to your heart. Couldn’t ask for any thing more then that!

I have the entire Nancy Drew set with the yellow bindings and the entire set of Hardy Boys – they had blue bindings :) I’m hoping my girls enjoy them as much as I did. It snowed all day yesterday at our house and it was gorgeous – but it was also warm so the several inches we got yesterday were gone today. But it was nice while it lasted :)

37. Barbra says

Beautiful room!!

I still have all my Nancy Drews as well, and I do still read them. My son just bought me one I was missing–the very first one. They bring back such wonderful memories!

I’m enjoying the magical view from your sunroom from here in sunny AZ! It’s gorgeous! PS- I too LOVED Nancy Drew as a girl (although I only owned one or two and the rest came from the library). Last year I picked up an old Nancy Drew book on impulse as I was in the YA section of our library helping my son find a book for a project. When I saw that row of yellow spines it was so exciting, like finding a long, lost friend, so I checked one out and spent a delightful afternoon re-connecting w/ Nancy and the gang! I think you should spend your lucky snow day wrapped up in a blanket on the couch in your sunroom, drinking hot cocoa, and reading Nancy Drew!

39. Kim says

What beautiful photos. If I was at your house right now, I would be playing in your backyard. I wish we had snow. This winter where I live, we only got a dusting and it didn’t last for very long. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Julia, this is stunning! So glad you took those pictures. I wish I could get in a time machine and fly to your house yesterday. Gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing!

41. Anita says

Julia, your back yard is like a fairy land! The sunporch looks beautiful and very inviting. Thanks for posting those pictures. Living in Florida, I don’t ever get to see such sites. I too had the Nancy Drew books with the yellow spines. I gave them to our local library many years ago.

Thanks for your blog, it brings a smile to my face everyday!

42. Rachel says

we had a snow day here in minnesota, too…i will always love a snow day! the snow outside your windows is beautiful, and the bright colors inside your house are so cute! i also love that your husband hunted down those vintage treasures for you. :)

43. Maria says

Heading for the kitchen for some cocoa and am gonna hunt down some Nancy Drew to share with my daughter. Love your blog!

44. Destiny says

I would love to play in your playroom. What a pretty and happy space!

45. Mercedes says

Julia where do you live? Is it normal this great snow in March/
    Envy, I love snow but in my country last time was 2007 after 89 years!!

• says

Mercedes–I’m in Ohio. When I was growing up we always got lots of snow around here each winter. But last year we didn’t get any. The kids hadn’t had a Snow Day with school canceled for 2 years, which made yesterday feel kind of special. :-)

46. 65andcounting says

As a collector of old Nancy Drew books myself, doing research is critical before determining if a particular Nancy Drew book has any value. There’s an entire Nancy Drew cottage industry – the link below is to a website I find the most all-around informative. (note: I am not related to nor do I know the website host, just find her links very helpful)

Wow, love the view out your sunroom…truly a fairyland! Julia, I had to smile when I saw all your Nancy Drews. I have a collection that’s missing a few. What a sweet hubby you have to think of helping you fill in the missing books. Love that!

48. Maryellen says

Nancy Drew was (is!) my favorite! We had a snow day in Chicago on Tues. Stretched our 3 day weekend (Pulaski Day on Mon!) into 4! I baked lots of cookies. Snow days are the best! Your house is adorable, Julia!

49. Maryellen says

BTW – did you get your yellow bench at HomeGoods? I saw a green one there today — very similar to yours. I think I’m going back for it. Yours looks so nice. 😉

50. Becky says

I loved the visit to your home. The snow was beautiful. We seldom get snow here in the Piney Woods of East Texas, but it makes the world look magical when we do. Last year at charity Garage Sale, I bought 19 Nancy Drew books with the yellow spines for $1. each. I had been telling my husband that I wanted to read them again and I was thrilled to find them. Maybe it’s the start of a collection.

51. Julia says

My collection was of The Boxcar Children. I wish I still had it.

Oh my goodness I thought I was the only one collecting Nancy Drew! We should post a list of the ones we all need, and may have multilples of. Then share! I will never give up an old one again without checking with you first Julia. You know I look over at my “Please Don’t Eat the Daisies” book without thinking of you to this day!

Oh, we were lucky enough to have a snow day on Tuesday as well. Apparently it is the first one for our school district in years and years (not for lack of snow – they just never stop school for it). I collect those Nancy Drew books for my daughter. Whenever I pop in to my local thrift stores I do a quick scan for them. I haven’t found many but I am slowly, slowly adding to her collection. I am also collecting the Boxcar Children series for her. It is always fun to find one as I love the hunt.

54. McKenzie says

I have my Nancy Drews displayed on a bookshelf near the kitchen. I took the handful my mother got when she was young and added through the years so I have 1-56. Some are new and some are older though all are the yellow spined similar print. Love them! I can’t wait to pass them to my daughter.

55. Laurie says

Your home is so beautiful. Such lovely pictures. Thank you for sharing. I love the snow and how beautiful it makes everyting look. Where did you get your couch in your sunroom?

56. Laurie says

Your home is so beautiful. I love all the pictures with the snow. You decorate so nice too! Where did you get your couch for your sunroom?

57. lilkunta says

I agree with grandmom (is it fine to call her that?) that your backyard does look like Narnia. that is sucj a NEAUTIFUL scene. I have emailed this link to my address book bc it is such a beautiful scene.

Like you, we havent had snow in 2y(which Im greatful for bc the last snow was enough for 5y!). Im east of you and our last big snow was 09/10 when it snowed from dec thru feb. It was called snowpocalypse. Did you get that big snow ?

• says

We didn’t get as much snow you did. And whenever we have gotten a little this winter it seems to melt right away. It’s still white outside my window right now (2 days after I took the photos), but it’s supposed to be in the 50s this weekend. Spring is on its way! :-)

58. Gina Y says

Your sunroom is beautiful and cozy. And the canvas of snow outside is stunning. But what I want to know is where to find a husband like yours? How thoughtful to find the jelly jar and books for you :-)

59. Mimi says

Hello…Your sunroom is just beautiful! Having grown up (and still living) in North Texas, there was nothing more exciting that a snow day! I still remember my dad making chili and all of us neighborhood kids sledding down our icy street…I can’t remember what we used though because we sure didn’t have any sleds. It only snowed here once this winter, on Christmas Day; it was very exciting!

I am so happy to hear that I’m not the only adult who sometimes goes back and re-reads my Nancy Drew books! Very comforting and I still love them –Pretty much have all of the yellow-spined ones, with a few older and newer strays. I can honestly say that I learned a lot about georgraphy (all of those trips the girls took!), different subjects (Nancy was certainly very talent in many areas!) and good vocabulary and grammar from reading them. And maybe that’s where my love of houses began…….

Happy Spring to all and enjoy that snow!

60. Christina from Dallas says

So lucky to have a snow day! We’ve had a very mild winter here although we were blessed to have snow on Christmas but it hasn’t snowed again since.
    Your husband is so sweet to have bought you that strawberry, My husband too knocked offf some of my spice jars on accident that I had gotten at an estate sale as a set. After he knocked them off he searched high and low on ebay to find replacements and he finally find them. Now I have extras too in case he gets clumsy again.

61. Screendoorgirl 3 says

So beautiful! I love your sun room, it’s always a treat to get a peek . Congrats on keeping your white couch so crisp and clean! Thanks for sharing, Julia..

• says

Well, I have to admit they’re not all that crisp and clean close up. I’m waiting until I do Spring Cleaning to wash the slipcovers. For now, I’m just flipping cushions over when they get dirty. Ha.

62. Maggy says

Ahh, Julia .. I am *so* jealous because it’s been at least 3 winters since our area has had a decent snowfall! The views from your sunroom are wonderful; I’d have dragged out a space heater and immersed myself with books, blankets and hot chocolate!

And .. Nancy Drew .. I LOVED those books! What wonderful memories they bring back :-) Dave gets a *6* on a scale of 1-5 for his thoughtfulness … what a sweet guy and a true gem of a husband. You two are obviously, wonderfully suited for each other!

63. Amy says

I have the Nancy Drew books too, in my guest room. I keep thinking if I am lucky enough to have a granddaughter some day I am ready for her!! I saved my daughter’s American Girl Doll (Kirsten) just in case too!

64. nanne says

love your sunroom–those are the colors i have used throughout my house!

i too was a nancy drew groupie as a girl. for my oldest daughter’s 11th (she’s now 22!!) birthday, we had a nancy drew party. the invitations were a copy of the cover of the Clue in the Moss Covered Mansion (i think), we changed it to our last name. in the invitations, each invitee was assigned a character whom they had to dress as. i hid clues all over our neighborhood, had a scavenger hunt to find them, then everyone met back at our house(which was decorated like a spooky, cobwebby old home) to eat pizza, cake & solve the mystery. it is my favorite of all of my girls’ birthday parties!

65. Esther George says

Hi Julia just wanted to say your home in winter I could only think of one word MAGIC…. Thank you for sharing these beautiful photographs. Regards Esther from Sydney.

Lately Nancy Drew books have been stalking me around blogland…maybe the universe is trying to tell me something and I should take down a couple of our Nancy Drew books and read them!

LOVE seeing more photos of your playroom and sunroom. Your winter photos are so pretty…it’s like a winter wonderland!

67. Michelle says

I have several of the yellow-spined Nancy Drew’s and 3 or 4 that are even old. The originals were actually written in the 1920’s or 30’s and the yellow-spines are updated or whole new stories. I have a 1930’s edition of #8 and a yellow-spine of #8 and while the stories are similar, they aren’t identical. Maybe one day I can complete a collection of both to fill my the bookcase my great-uncle built. :-)

Love the porch and the view. Hope to have one as nice one day.

68. Sam says

I love that yellow chair! Your house looks amazing in winter! Even though it always looks amazing hahah :)