“Yours, Mine & Ours:” The Big Old Victorian from the 1968 Movie with Lucille Ball & Henry Fonda

by hookedonhouses on December 3, 2012

Our fascination with bigger-than-normal families is nothing new. Long before the Duggars, there was a book and a movie about the Beardsleys and their 18 kids. Helen Beardsley wrote Who Gets the Drumstick? about her family (“A Story of a Widow and Widower Who Met, Fell in Love, and Lived Happily Ever After”). And in 1968 it was adapted into the now-classic family film Yours, Mine and Ours, starring Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda.

I thought it would be fun to take a look at the big old Victorian house from the movie. It’s a real house that’s still standing in California, and wait ’til you see what it looks like today–beautiful!

The house where they filmed it is in Pasadena (the exterior, anyway). In the movie they say it was “the biggest place we could afford.”

According to Trulia, it was built in 1901 and has 3,017 square feet, with 6 bedrooms and 2 baths. (I’m assuming the interiors were all shot on a soundstage instead of the real house, however.)

In reality, Frank Beardsley added onto his house, and Helen North sold her home and moved into his with her children. The Victorian was a Hollywood addition. You can see photos of their much more modern house here.

The movie had three other working titles that they were considering: The Beardsley Story, Full House, and His, Hers, and Theirs.

Every morning the family goes through 5 lbs of bacon, 3 dozen eggs, and 40 pieces of toast…

Making all those lunches for school is no easy task, either…

Van Johnson played Frank’s navy buddy.

They used the real names of all the Beardsley children in the movie, although they changed some of the age order in the family.

The movie shows how Frank used skills he learned in the Navy to keep his large family organized and the household running smoothly. Check out the chart with the color-coded bathrooms and letter-coded bedrooms:

Their wedding night doesn’t go quite as planned…

Frank gives his daughter a great speech about what true love is on the way to the hospital that always gets me sniffly:

One of my favorite moments is when the doctor (Tom Bosley) slides down the banister like a kid:

The oldest son, Mike, was played by Tim Matheson:

It takes a big mantel to hold all those stockings!

The wedding invitation they show in the movie was the one the real Frank and Helen sent out (love that).

Although the kids are upset that their parents are getting married and plan to adopt them all in the movie, it was the opposite in real life. And they didn’t keep their children a secret from each other in the beginning, either. In fact, Helen brought 5 of her kids to Frank’s house on their first date and they all became immediate friends. They urged their parents to marry and go through with the adoption.

On Christmas morning, Helen gets a phone call from her doctor with the news that she’s pregnant. Here comes baby #19! (Which was truly a Christmas miracle in the movie since Lucille Ball was in her late ’50s at the time she filmed it.)

Although it was portrayed as a shock in the movie, the baby was very much planned and wanted in real life.

The movie was a big hit when it came out in 1968, earning nearly $26 million at the box office (on a budget of $2.5 million), and it’s now considered a classic family film. It was remade in 2005 with Dennis Quaid and Rene Russo.

One of my favorite lines from the movie–and there are lots of good ones–is when Frank says he thought the house cringed when they pulled up in their two station wagons filled with kids, ready to move in:

Want to see how the house looks today? It’s been totally restored and is GORGEOUS. It was taken by Pam Bass for a fascinating website about the real-life Beardsley family:

It’s known as the Blankenhorn-Lamphear house. According to Trulia, it’s worth more than $1 million today–a lot more than the Beardsleys would have paid (or been able to afford) in the ’60s!

According to I Am Not a Stalker, it was also used in the 1999 movie Teaching Mrs. Tingle. Here’s how it looked in that movie:

Check her blog to see more photos of it from that movie and how it looks today.

Does a movie like this make you wish you had a bigger family and lived in a rambling old Victorian? Or maybe make you glad that you don’t? ;-)

Hooked on Classic Movie Houses? More I’ve Featured:

Fran December 3, 2012 at 8:22 am

Don’t you mean Henry Fonda, not Henry Ford? :-)

hookedonhouses December 3, 2012 at 8:37 am

Ha! Yes! Thanks for catching my typo so I could fix it this morning, Fran. :-)

Tracie@MiddleClassModern December 3, 2012 at 8:33 am

Love it! This was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid, and its nice to see the house again. That kid schedule on the linen closet door is both intense and awesome!

Alie B December 3, 2012 at 8:45 am

I love this old house! I haven’t seen the original version of this movie, but I did recently see the re-make with Dennis Quaid and Renee Russo. I loved the sea-side house used in the re-make too! Could you maybe (pretty please?) do a piece on that house too? :-)

House Crazy Sarah December 3, 2012 at 9:13 am

I’ll take the house… but not the bigger family!!

Richella at Imparting Grace December 3, 2012 at 9:17 am

I’ve always loved that movie! When I was a kid, I had a paperback called Who Gets the Drumstick?–a book adaptation of the movie, complete with still photos from the movie. So your post brings back lovely memories of watching the movie and reading that book! :)

Sandy December 3, 2012 at 9:27 am

I would love to have that large family now but not so much when I was doing the raising of mine. I’m hoping that my 3 kids will provide enough grandchildren to fill up the house for holidays and summer vacations.

Teresa December 3, 2012 at 9:27 am

Thanks Julia! I remember seeing this movie as a kid and then more recently on Turner Classic Movies. I just noticed that one of the still shots that you posted of the linen closet has a organizer hanging on the door with names of all the children. Two of the kids names are both mine and my hubbys! (Tommy & Teresa). Never caught that before.

Fran Mateus December 3, 2012 at 9:33 am

I love your site. I follow it all day, here, from Brazil. Congratulations!!

Brenda December 3, 2012 at 10:16 am

Thanks for the memories, Julia. I love that movie. The link to the family’s website is also interesting.

Linda December 3, 2012 at 10:30 am

Julia, you nail it every time! As an only child I LOVED this movie (and the house) and watch it every time it comes on. So happy the real house looks so loved!

65andcounting December 3, 2012 at 11:11 am

I am jealous of parents who have the patience (and money) to bring up such a big brood. My best friend growing up was one of eight and I always envied the camaraderie the kids had.They learned to make do with what they had, shared everything. Good life lessons. Plus, it takes an extraordinary couple to manage so many, especially like in this movie, a blended family. I was not blessed with the “patience gene” and found two was all I could handle. And there were days when two seemed two too many!

Great post to a great old movie. If you look closely at the photos of the kitchen, it is pretty amazing. Marble counter-tops even and a neat old oven. I imagine today, this house would be an episode of Unsellables, with two bathrooms for the 7 bedrooms! :-)

Jean Leonard Cox December 3, 2012 at 11:13 am

Hi Julia: Interesting and fun to read about this house and family. Thanks for posting it.

jean

Spring December 3, 2012 at 11:46 am

I once had the pleasure of staying with friends who have seven kids. At the time I only had three. Our breakfasts and lunches were exactly like that assembly line production pictured.

I can’t imagine doing that for twenty people every day. :)

Hildie December 3, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I have a relatively large family (6 kids) which seems completely normal to me at not at all chaotic. But I must be used to it because my sister and her husband (1 child) always prefer to stay in a hotel when they come to visit, even though we’ve got plenty of room.
We have a very big house but even so I have my younger kids sharing rooms because I think it builds camaraderie (when they’re not screaming at each other, of course!). I dream of living in a sprawling old Victorian but I don’t dream of paying the bills for such a place! Or having to clean it. My kids clean A LOT but the mess is never-ending.

Maddie December 3, 2012 at 1:34 pm

The minute I looked at the picture of the house, it looked familiar. I have driven past this house a million times to visit friends. Funny, I never knew it was the house in the movie. Thanks, Maddie

Rebecca C. December 3, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Yay, I can actually drive by this house. It’s beautiful. Glad to hear it still exists. Thanks. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen this movie.

Erin December 3, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Thanks for the great post, Julia! This is one of my all-time favorite movies! As a kid it made me wish I had 20 siblings and a kitchen table with a lazy-suzan! :)

Kristen @ Joyfullythriving December 3, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Oh, my sister and I love this movie, too! The remake wasn’t nearly as good as this classic. The speech upon heading to the hospital is one of my favorite parts, too.

kasey December 3, 2012 at 8:23 pm

One of my favorite movies. The house looks absolutely amazing now, a gorgeous restoration.

Kim December 3, 2012 at 9:24 pm

What a fun movie and a beautiful house. I wish we could see the real interior.

Jake's a Girl December 3, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I love this movie! Nope. Never wanted a big family. We have one son and that is plenty. ;) I will say, as the middle child of 7, I often wished I was an only child but I love my siblings dearly.

nanne December 4, 2012 at 8:59 am

good one, julia! thanks!

Christina from Dallas December 4, 2012 at 9:34 am

This post was so interesting. I love finding out the background stories of the Hollywood movie houses. I can’t imagine having that many kids. It seems overwhelming but fun at the same time!

Nica December 4, 2012 at 9:40 am

Gorgeous house!
It does take a great deal of patience to manage a family that big. I grew up the youngest of seven kids in a seven bedroom victorian (built in 1902). To this day I’m in awe of my parents who raised brought us up on very little money. My first house was a beautiful victorian but the heating bills were just too much! Now my husband and I live in a mid-century split level with just two kids. That’s enough people for me.

Amanda @ Serenity Now December 4, 2012 at 9:49 am

I love that movie, but I had no idea it was based on a true story. Reminds me a lot of Cheaper by the Dozen! And like Cheaper by the Dozen, I MUCH prefer the original movie to the remake. Thank you for sharing the shots of the interior, and for sharing facts I didn’t know! :)

Lisa December 4, 2012 at 10:11 am

I saw the newer version of this movie, but never realized it was based on a true story and that there was an original with Lucille Ball!! I’ve got to see the original!! Loved this house and story! Thanks for sharing!

Cindy D. December 4, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I Love Lucy, the movie, and the house!!!

Penelope Bianchi December 4, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Lordy! What a coincidence! The very first house I decorated (at 19 years old!!) was right next door! To the right in the picture! 366 Markham Place, Pasadena!

I posted on Facebook (I think…..I don’t work it very well. I will try to copy and paste the story. Unless you can read it…….let me know; please!

I was in college….1967…and my mother bought it…..and gave me an allowance to decorate it…..and we made “a fortune” percentage wise!! 9 months later!

Just amazing!! It looked exactly like the pictures in the movie when I was fixing up the house next door!

Can you see my story on Facebook?

Let me know, please!

LOVE THIS BLOG!!!!

hookedonhouses December 4, 2012 at 10:19 pm

No kidding? Wow! That’s so cool. I don’t see anything on my Facebook page. Is it on yours?

Penelope Bianchi December 5, 2012 at 2:14 am

tell me what to do! Do you have to ask me to be a friend? Sorry to be so lame…..I love this story so much! I almost fell off my chair when I saw that house; and I never saw the movie!

That is one of the most brilliant things about your brilliant blog! Think of it! Literally 46 years ago!

Yikes!

Penny

Penelope Bianchi December 5, 2012 at 2:15 am

I just checked…….it seems to be on mine……how do I get it on yours?

Lame, lame lame! But I will try!!

XXOO

Penny

hookedonhouses December 5, 2012 at 7:10 am

I have a public page, so all you have to do is click “like” on it and you can post on it. Here’s the link:

Thanks, Penelope! :-)

Linzy December 4, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Wow. Normally my heart belongs to the little guys, but this restoration is jaw-droppingly beautiful. BUT its nice that it is in Cali, cuz I sure wouldn’t wanna heat it. Annnd I just sounded like my mother.

Kelly December 5, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I feel so inspired to see the movie now! I love those ’60s madcap comedies.

I just posted last week about my stroll through a gorgeous neighborhood in Pasadena (actually, on the border in South Pas). Total house envy.

So happy I’ve recently found your blog.

Rebecca@MidcenturyModernRemodel December 5, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Nice post! I have never heard of this movie. Looks like a good one for a Saturday night with a bowl of popcorn and my feet on the coffee table.

Nathan December 6, 2012 at 4:05 am

Lived in a house like that, maybe, had a family of that size, most definitely not! Holy man, could you imagine the monthly grocery bill? Eeeek!

Penny December 6, 2012 at 6:51 am

This movie came out my senior year in high school – and I loved it, as well as the house. What fun to see it then and now. Thank you.

Grace @ sense and simplicity December 7, 2012 at 11:26 pm

That was so interesting. I didn’t realize they were a real family. Thanks for all the links. I”m off to check them out.

Tracie April 30, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Is the house on “Your’s, Mine, and Our’s” with Henry Fonda and Lucille Ball, the same house used in “Meet Me in St. Louis” with Judy Garland?

hookedonhouses April 30, 2013 at 1:43 pm

No, they’re different. You can see my post about the “Meet Me in St. Louis” house here: http://hookedonhouses.net/2009/12/13/meet-me-in-st-louis-the-victorian-on-kensington-ave/. It was built on a studio backlot, whereas the “Yours Mine Ours” one was/is a real house.

moviebunny June 29, 2013 at 5:34 am

one of my all-time favorites!–and one of my favorite pieces of trivia is that one of the babies, “Germaine” was played by Tracy Nelson, who grew up to play “Sister Steve” in “Father Dowling Mysteries” with Tom Bosley, who played the doctor. :)

{ 1 trackback }