Westchester Magazine’s American Dream Home 2012

by hookedonhouses on October 14, 2012

Westchester Magazine’s American Dream Home is opening its doors for tours this week in Tarrytown, New York. It’s “a luxurious, well-appointed townhome that’s both elegant and modern, and boasts every imaginable energy-efficient feature that exists in the building industry today.” Here’s a peek:

It sits in Hudson Harbor’s waterfront community on the banks of the Hudson River and is “a cutting-edge green community of LEED-registered, ENERGY STAR-efficient homes.”

I thought the kitchen was kind of unexpected, mixing modern elements with traditional ones, black tile with white cabinets, and then changing the wall color for the eating area. Do you think it works?

There will be a “pop-up shop” where you purchase furniture and other items. The rooms were decorated by designer Susan Anthony and Ethan Allen.

Anthony says, “We’ve packed a lot of cool ideas into this compact carriage house. When we designed the interiors, we wanted to show that you can take some traditional pieces that you love—we used some American antiques and artifacts—and blend them with new choices to form a different design story and way of living.”

Nothing I like better than spending a Sunday taking a house tour. Even when they’re not my style, I still get ideas from them.

Open house hours begin October 19 and will take place every Thursday-Sunday through November 11. For more information or to purchase tickets visit Westchester Magazine. (Thanks to Stephanie and Kris for telling me about it.)

House Crazy Sarah October 14, 2012 at 10:51 am

It’s lovely but what is that thing in the last picture that appears to be coming down from the ceiling into the bath tub? Weird.
I love the little bird & birdcage on the blackboard in the dining area!

Jill Valeri@The Welcome Home October 15, 2012 at 6:07 am

The thing coming down from the ceiling into the bathtub is water. It is a ceiling mounted tub filler. I have never seen one in person but I believe Candace Olsen featured one in one of her episodes on HGTV.

missy October 17, 2012 at 8:09 am

I just don’t understand the whole ‘water coming from the ceiling’ thing. For one, if the house is all about efficiency it seems that falling from the ceiling would cool off hot water. Even if it’s just a little bit, that’s not very efficient. Plus, I like to sit in the tub while the water flows in. I don’t think I would want it falling on me from the ceiling.

Ashley October 14, 2012 at 11:16 am

That’s a tubfiller. It’s a faucet in the ceiling.

House Crazy Sarah October 15, 2012 at 9:56 am

oh boy – water coming from the ceiling? I guess it’s supposed to be trendy, but that just stresses me out!

Abby R October 15, 2012 at 11:58 am

I stayed in a hotel that had that (Hotel 1000 in Seattle) and it is awesome! It’s not stressful, and it doesn’t splash everywhere. It’s a sweet feature.

Katie Clooney October 14, 2012 at 11:32 am

/Thanks for the tour. It is lovely – but a tubfiller from the ceiling? Obviously, I don’t get out much!

hookedonhouses October 14, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Don’t we all need a tubfiller in the ceiling? Ha.

Mary October 14, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I could enjoy a ceiling tub filler, but the sharp angles and upright nature of that tub are unsettling. I know I’m being outrageously picky but I love a good long soak and know what it takes….. A slanted back for resting and reading, no sharp edges for enter/exiting, a place to put your drink, and sturdy handholds. ( I should be a professional bathtub consultant!)

Shannon October 14, 2012 at 1:33 pm

That’s not outrageously picky at all, that’s the essence of a tub. This tub looks uncomfortable and awkward (like the…what is that, a cat with a lizard head?), and you’d have nothing to look at except the tan walls with the matchy white and tan towels. I guess you could face the other way and stare at those tub faucets that look like they would like to poke you, and wonder why you have them and the ceiling tub filler both.
And don’t take a step back when you’re standing at the sink, or you’ll hit your head on the shower wall.

Laura October 14, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Interesting, I guess, but these “Dream Homes” will never be my dream since they’re usually full of new furniture, products, etc. I prefer the collected-over-time look with plenty of vintage and antique furnishings.

cbean October 15, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Ditto.

Karen October 17, 2012 at 5:38 pm

ditto-ditto!

Lili October 14, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I actually LOVE the chandelier in the bathroom… very simple, but still lovely.

Amy October 14, 2012 at 3:35 pm

The house is ok, but the LOCATION is killer — I grew up in the area. It’s on a peninsula jutting out into the Hudson River. On most days you can see the NYC skyline. The property is the site of the former GM factory, where up until the early 90′s your mom-mobile minivan was built.

65andcounting October 14, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Amy: I also live in Westchester County but not Tarrytown. I have to disagree slightly with your killer location assessment – while you are right about the great views into the city, the issue for the next umpteen years is the construction noise of the new Tappan Zee Bridge; these townhome residents are going to have an earful. I hope for the developer’s sake, I am in the minority but for me it would be a deal breaker, view or not.

SAS95 October 15, 2012 at 9:09 am

I totally agree about the location NOT being great. Construction noise and they built a zillion of those homes just jammed together. Not to mention who knows what contamination issues are on that land from the GM site. My husband and I sort of shrug when we drive by wondering who would want to live there. To each his/her own.

Chris October 14, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Is that a chalkboard in the dining room? I know I’m in the minority here, but I just don’t get the design esthetic of chalkboard paint. I’ll be glad when this trend fades.

judi October 14, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I agree with you. I like chalkboards in a kid”s space and in a message center area…but not everywhere. I can’t come up with enough cute things to write:)

Kim October 14, 2012 at 7:40 pm

What a nice house. I could actually see myself living here.

Rebecca@MidcenturyModernRemodel October 14, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I like that white bathroom a lot. Especially the chandelier. I know, you are shocked. :) The green paint color in the master is BEYOND cool. And, I am super sick of the chalkboards. Didn’t like them in schools, like them less in houses.

Lilly Faye October 15, 2012 at 12:17 am

I’m not a fan of those sharp edges around the bathtub, either.

Also, isn’t that chandelier over the bed hanging a bit low? Seems like it would be in the way when you’re changing the sheets. But I do like the green walls.

Baileywife October 15, 2012 at 6:53 am

OH THAT MASTER BEDROOM! I will take one of everything please and thank you! :) ~Kim

Lisa T. October 15, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Really love the master Bedroom. I love the bathroom, too. But I am wondering about that bathtub, is the inside contoured?

So nobody has a problem with the giant flag in the living area? I really don’t like that. That is a missed opportunity for a gorgeous work of art.

Kyla October 16, 2012 at 10:09 am

That’s an interesting house … simply love all the colours in the dinning room and that chalk board is brilliant. BUT … what’s up with the moulding and finish around the bathtub??? Talk about a rough finish … not only are there gaps between the wood sides at the corner but you can also see the nails in the base board … very shoddy workmanship, not at all to the standard I’d have expected.

{ 3 trackbacks }