A Transitional Craftsman in Pasadena’s Historic Highlands

by hookedonhouses on May 27, 2012

I love it when readers send me photos of their houses, so I was excited to see Heather’s Transitional Craftsman in Pasadena, California. The house was built in 1913 in the Historic Highlands neighborhood and has been featured on their annual tours.

Take a look!

I love the front porch–so charming!

This is the original river rock fireplace in the living room:

Heather says, “Our house is considered a Transitional Craftsman because it really can’t quite make up its mind as to what it is. The second owner preferred Victorian homes and would salvage things out of them as they were being torn down locally for ‘being out of style.’” For example, there are 3 Victorian fireplaces that he added to the house.

She adds, “The pressed tin ceilings and 3 of the 4 fireplaces are more of Victorian style. The owner before us spent a lot of time restoring the Craftsman qualities.”

When it was built, it was a small, 1,100 square-foot bungalow with only 2 bedrooms and 1 bath. A couple of additions were added over the years, and the dining room was one of them.

“Some fun little quirks are a meat smoking building in the back, which is used for storage now,” Heather tells me, “and the plaster in what was the original bathroom is pressed to look like tile.”

The house has about 3,300 square feet. Heather says it’s too big for them, so they’re moving to something smaller.

I thought this was interesting–when they told friends that they’re selling this house and downsizing, “our peers, late 30s, early 40s with little(r) children think we are nuts. ‘Don’t you want/need/use all that space?’ they ask.”

But when they tell older people their plans, “they nearly send out a marching band congratulating us. When they hear what it will mean to us financially (debt free!), they tell us it’s a smart move and one they wish they’d made years ago.”

The pool was added in the 1970s.

Like it? Check the listing for more photos and information. Asking price is $1.1 million.

P.S. Heather says that the house sold after only 3 days on the market. They had multiple offers and accepted one that was about $100,000 over asking price. Wow. Congratulations!

Hooked on Craftsmans? A Few of My Favorites from the Movies:

Amanda @ Serenity Now May 27, 2012 at 7:53 am

Congrats to Heather on the quick sale of her home. It was is a lovely, lovely place…love the river rock fireplace! My girls were looking over my shoulder, and they love the pool. :)

Kelly at Talk of the House May 27, 2012 at 8:27 am

Beautiful!! things i love about it…the vanity, the gazebo/porch, and the pool. It is so hot here. Can I just go jump in??
Selling the house in 3 days? Amazing in this real estate economy.
Thanks for sharing another lovely home.
Kelly

Black Eyed Susans Kitchen May 27, 2012 at 8:46 am

Congratulations indeed! Beautiful home…we are considering the same, but because our children are now grown. I have serious sink envy…love that kitchen sink!!

shabbychick May 27, 2012 at 9:26 am

SO, SO PRETTY!!! The decorating is so wonderfully done, too. Thank you for sharing!

Laura May 27, 2012 at 9:27 am

What a gorgeous home, thanks for sharing it with us Heather :)

shabbychick May 27, 2012 at 9:29 am

SO, SO PRETTY!!! The decorating is so wonderful, as well. My favorite is the bathroom with the green tile! Thank you for sharing! ;)

Sarah @ housecrazy May 27, 2012 at 9:32 am

wow!!! Insanely beautiful home! Glad they had a quick sale – and I feel downsizing in 30′s/40′s is a really smart thing if it means more financial freedom, and living within one’s means.
I actually love the mixing of Victorian elements with Craftsman style – it just gives it such a unique feel!
Great house!

Heatherly May 27, 2012 at 9:34 am

Thanks Julia! What a fun thing to see first thing with my morning coffee. We could not be happier with speed and outcome of our sale. It definitely did not feel like a “buyer’s market.”

I will make note that we will be “debt free” except for a (much smaller) mortgage. We have an accepted offer on a Mid-Century Modern home just around the corner.

Thank you again, Julia!

Janet May 27, 2012 at 10:35 am

OOOO, Please, Please share your mid-mod when you get settled. Pasadena is mecca for architecture junkies, my head spins anytime I am near. Although I must say, polluting a traditional craftsman is a crime and would drive me crazy. Good luck in your new home, kudos for downsizing.

hookedonhouses May 27, 2012 at 11:16 am

I’d love to see it, too! Thanks again for sharing your beautiful home with us, Heather. :-)

snaggy May 27, 2012 at 11:17 am

I want a house like that …sham we don’t have them in the UK : (

Cindy May 27, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I love it! And big congrats to Heather on the quick sale! Even more importantly, though, I applaud her for doing the debt-free-thing. We are staying in our tiny house to accomplish the same goal for our family. We didn’t know (at the time) that our starter home would be our one and only, but the peace of mind of being debt free (someday) is well worth it.

OK, sorry to go off on that little tangent. ;-) Thanks for sharing this great house, Julia!

Pat May 27, 2012 at 6:06 pm

What a wonderful home… I just love it. I’m not surprised at the quick sale, nor getting more then the asking price. I actually thought it would be listed higher. Maybe another marker at another time.
I’m always surprised at how much larger Craftsman homes are inside then they appear outside. They seem so “livable”.
You are so wise to think of your financial future. Blessings in your new home!

Destiny May 27, 2012 at 8:33 pm

This is an absolutely lovely, liveable home for a family, and I’m delighted that it sold over asking price. I, too, would love to see a blog post on the new house when Heather and her family are settled.

Kim May 27, 2012 at 10:31 pm

What a gorgeous home. It has such great character and perfect for a family.

mishelle May 28, 2012 at 2:42 am

i liked her decorating as well. Love the chairs in living room. And her bed is awesome. I don’t like stone fireplaces but her decor took me away from that. Nice drapes too. Glad it sold quickly and would love to see the new house!

theresa May 28, 2012 at 5:37 am

we did the same thing on a much smaller scale – our job situation forced our decision – and now we are much happier and so much less stressed in our smaller, less expensive home – every renovation or decoration project does not need to be perfect, the tiny mortgage frees up money for doing things together we could not afford before, and i am not so freaky about the my house/ my identity thing – and i am in my 30′s too!

Jackie May 28, 2012 at 5:51 am

A beautiful, unique house! I love it and the new owners are lucky people.

HollyM May 28, 2012 at 11:17 am

What a wonderful home! The pressed tin did give me pause . . . but it sort of adds a quirky feel to it.

Threadbndr May 29, 2012 at 12:00 pm

We have several of the ‘transitional Craftman’ type houses in our neighborhood. The one that I’m most familiar with is next door to my parent’s house. Very A&C on the outside, but lots of more Victorian-ish details inside – especially fireplace surrounds very like the ones in the featured house. And pressed tin ceilings in the kitchen! I didn’t realize until now this article that there was a name for that style!

I love Craftmen houses and have a little bungalow myself (much smaller than this one – 900 sf). It was supposed to my husband and I’s “starter” house and we just never moved on – LOL. Being debt free is wonderful, being mortgage free is even better.

theSavvySeeker May 29, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Interesting spin on a craftsman. Very beautiful home…but I prefer more original looking arts and crafts furniture and color schemes in these types of houses. So overall, a little to modern/transitional for me, but still lovely.

Lisa T. May 30, 2012 at 6:28 am

Nicest and most “craftsman” kitchen I have ever seen in a craftsman. Great house.

excitingLA June 1, 2012 at 7:09 pm

not too crazy about the exterior color of the house or the kitchen, but the rest of this house is absolutely gorgeous! i love the color scheme!