“The Good Wife:” Alicia Florrick’s Apartment in Chicago

by hookedonhouses on March 26, 2012

The Good Wife TV show sets Alicia's apartment

If you’re not watching The Good Wife, then you’re missing out on one of the best dramas on TV. Seriously. I was kind of put off by the premise because I don’t really go for the “ripped from the headlines” types of shows. But I got so many requests to see the Florrick family’s apartment in Chicago that I finally started watching…and got totally hooked.

The sets are great, too. So, as I promised when I posted photos of Alicia’s former home, which she revisited in a recent episode, we’re taking a closer look at her apartment.

The apartment scenes are filmed on a 3,000 square-foot set in Brooklyn.

Julianna Marguiles plays Alicia, a politician’s wife whose life is changed by her husband’s sex scandal. After spending years as a stay-at-home mom, she goes back to work as an attorney to pay the bills and discovers that she’s really good at it.

“Designer Dad” Stephen Saint-Onge had the opportunity to visit the set in person and he wrote a great post about it, filled with behind-the-scenes photos and details that you can see on his blog. That’s where I found some of these fabulous set photos. Thanks, Stephen!

The Set Decorator for the series is the talented Beth Kushnick. Her work on the show is so popular that the sets have their own Twitter account (which I follow!):  @GoodWifeSetDec. She also writes a blog for CBS.com that gives inside looks into the weekly set design.

Gotta love all the built-in bookcases the apartment has!

The Dining Room:

The show airs on Sunday nights on CBS.

The Director of Photography Fred Murphy said, “In a way, it’s filmed more like an old movie than a CSI type of TV show. A classic kind of movie. Kind of 1940s.” That could be why I like it so much!

Alicia’s Bedroom:

The code words for the sets were “simplicity and elegance,” and it shows.

The Kitchen:

Chris Noth plays Alicia’s ex-husband Peter Florrick, whose misdeeds while in office put him out of a job and into a prison cell. If I have any complaints about the show, it’s that he’s not in enough of the episodes!

Another great character is Eli Gold, played by the brilliant Alan Cumming. (Jane Austen lovers still remember him as Mr. Elton in the 1996 “Gwyneth version” of Emma.)

Another reason to watch–if you’re a Gilmore Girls fan like I am, anyway–is to see Rory’s old boyfriend Logan. Matt Czuchry plays Cary Agos on The Good Wife and is one of my favorite characters. Almost makes me wish Rory ended up with him…

For More Photos and Information About the Sets:

P.S. On a recent episode, Alicia revisited the beautiful home they lost after her husband’s scandal and contemplated buying it back again. You can see photos of it here.

Visit my Houses Onscreen page to see more sets I’ve featured, including…

Brothers and Sisters TV Show Nora Walker's HouseNora’s House in Brother’s & Sisters

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

Black Eyed Susans Kitchen March 26, 2012 at 8:23 am

Good post Julia…I was a big fan of the show originally, but lost interest. The sets are beautiful and how we aspire to decorate.

Molly @thewaffler March 26, 2012 at 8:55 am

Alicia’s apartment is so elegant — very much in keeping with her cool cucumber character and simple but tasteful wardrobe. I love this show, but I wanted her romance to work out with her boss character. And OMG — thanks for pointing out the Eli -Mr. Elton connection…I knew he looked familiar.

hookedonhouses March 26, 2012 at 9:00 am

I’ve watched that version of “Emma” so many times that he’ll always be Mr. Elton to me! :)

grapevine93 March 26, 2012 at 9:20 am

WOW! Not only a great design but such a warm human feel that I forgot I was looking at a set. Found myself kicking off my shoes selecting a book from the shelves and curling up with a glass of red wine for a comfy read. I had the identical book shelves and cabinets either side of my living room French doors into family room my last home. Amish made for house. Next owner liked more contemporary and removed them. Each has their own taste, but I can not imagine anyone not admiring this beautiful set!

Claudia March 26, 2012 at 9:32 am

Hello,

Loved reading this blog post today… I love this show and all of the actors. It’s a great show. Thank you for sharing the photos of their apartment and hopefully we can see more of that house. The decor of the apartment is pretty.
Another house I love is the Farm House in Walking Dead. I was disappointed that they had to leave that house on the last episode. Would you be able to show more photos of that house? Take care, Love your blog!! Claudia

Maya @ Completely Coastal March 26, 2012 at 9:37 am

I’m totally hooked on the show! Love her apt. and hope she stays there (and does not move back into her former house).

CherylK March 26, 2012 at 11:13 am

Count me in as hooked on The Good Wife, too! If you didn’t know any better, you’d never guess that Alan Cumming’s native (not sure if that’s the right term) accent is British. And Cary is the quintessential ‘love him/hate him’ guy! All the characters are excellent actors, that’s for sure.

These photos are such a treat! This is a great post.

annette March 26, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Thanks,Julia. I thought I’d never get to see enough of that apartment.Such understated elegance combined with a lived-in look.I enjoyed the link to Stephen St.Onge. Thanks ,again Annette

Andrea March 26, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Sometimes I like to pretend that Rory went off to Chicago to cover the Obama campaign and then stayed after he won. Logan followed her and went to law school and then got the job at the firm and Rory is still there with him. This means we need to ignore that Cary is a player but I’m willing to suspend that knowledge with them actually ending up together. :)

hookedonhouses March 26, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Ha! I love it!

Karen March 26, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I’ve only watched the show a few times, but I do love this set. However, I’m not to fond of the kitchen, but everything else–the fireplace snf book shelves and all of the architectural details are lovely.

Julia March 26, 2012 at 7:15 pm

You know, I realize Felicia is looking for a home, but I never understood why she didn’t want to buy her apartment, now that it’s going condo. It’s gorgeous!

Elizabeth March 27, 2012 at 11:31 am

Love everything! I love the built ins, the kitchen, the bedroom AND the linens, oh and that hutch in the dining room.

Maria March 29, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I’m a sucker for built-n bookcases and both this/house have them.

And after last week looks like we’re going to have some house drama — hope we get to see more of it.

Ani April 17, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I just watched episodes 3.17 where Alicia is thinking about buying her apartment. I don´t know if I got the costs right (i´ m not a native english speaker). I think I heard 1,2 Mill for buying +2000 Dollar monthly costs. Is this right? Are apartments are really this expensive in Chicago? (I worked here in Europe for a property mangement company. So I´m really interested in such details.) It would be nice, if someone can explain it to me…..I´m curious

Laura May 17, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Hi Julia,
I just came across an article in High Gloss magazine about set design expert Cathy Whitlock and her blog. She has a recent post about a collaboration with the designers from The Good Wife and Mitchell Gold I thought you might find interesting. http://wwwcinemastyle.blogspot.com/

hookedonhouses May 18, 2012 at 6:05 am

That’s a great blog–thanks, Laura!

claudia August 18, 2012 at 7:47 am

Hi Jilia,
Thank you so much for making a post about Alicia’s flat. I love it, the kitchen used to be my favourite room, though I changed my mind now and prefer the living room. I can’t wait for the programme to be back on TV…only a few weeks to go!
Claudia

Maria October 17, 2012 at 3:20 am

I love this apt (and her former home) and wish I could find out the paint color! I saw something on HGTV about this set and the decorator said she took Julianna Margulies’ coloring in to account when designing her home. They wanted something to read well on camera against her pale skin and dark hair. Hummm, fun idea to design by creating a background one looks good against!

One thing the mentioned I can now not unsee when watching…

***…warning, decorating design spoiler alert…***

..is because of all the glass reflection problems involved with shooting in the offices, they designed all the glass panels to pivot so it doesn’t reflect. Often you can see that if you are looking for it.

hookedonhouses October 17, 2012 at 6:15 am

I saw that, too! Loved that show on HGTV. I was hoping there would be more of them.

Sherilee May 11, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Just have to say I love this site. Can get lost in looking at houses, for hours…

Meanwhile, I have to point out that the Florrick’s aren’t actually divorced, so Peter isn’t Alicia’s ex-husband, as stated above… picky, I know. Sorry.

Off to look at more beautiful homes. Thanks for all the work you put into this!

hookedonhouses May 11, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Point taken! Thanks, Sherilee. ;)

{ 1 trackback }