On “The Good Wife:” Alicia Florrick Revisits Her Old House

by hookedonhouses on March 12, 2012

Did you see last night’s episode of the Julianna Margulies drama The Good Wife? I love that show–and her apartment on it, which I promise to feature soon. But in this episode, called “Long Way Home,” Alicia’s real estate agent tells her that the house they lost in the midst of her husband Peter’s scandal is back on the market. She goes to see it during an Open House, so we get a glimpse of what her life used to be like.

Not only was it moving to watch her revisiting her past, but I loved the house and had to get some photos of it to show you.

She checks to see if the glass doorknob still falls off the door to the bedroom, and it does:

Chris Noth plays her ex-husband Peter Florrick, whose bad behavior with prostitutes while in office cost him his job, their marriage, and this house. I like Noth so much, though, that it’s hard not to like his character anyway! Maybe I watched too many episodes of Sex and the City (he was “Mr. Big”).

Would have loved to have seen more of the kitchen. We just get this glimpse:

Did anyone else tear up when she looked inside the pantry and found her family’s growth chart still penciled on the wall?

I could see why her kids Grace and Zach were hoping she’d buy the house back. I was, too! I doubt the writers will take her there, though.

You can watch the episode on CBS.com if you missed it (the scene with the Open House is at the end). I’ll be featuring Alicia’s apartment on the show soon, too.

Have you ever had a chance to revisit one of your old houses? I check for mine at least once a month online just in case one of them might come back on the market!

On Mondays I Feature Houses from Movies and TV Shows:

Nancy March 12, 2012 at 8:18 am

Loved her old house, too. It is so disappointing when you see a former house and how the new owners change it for the worse.. Or de-value all you did with the landscape. But I recently visited my childhood home and the exterior curb appeal is 100% improved, and I thought it was great before! that is heartwarming to see someone love it as much as you did.
PowellbrowerHome.com

Janice March 12, 2012 at 8:27 am

Oh my gosh – when I was watching last night, I thought to myself – Julia will have a new house to feature if Alicia moves back here. Or even gets a new apartment. I love the apartment she lives in now – can’t wait to see your feature! We got to see Will’s place last week too – very Will-like.

Black Eyed Susans Kitchen March 12, 2012 at 8:28 am

Beautiful house Julia. We have been living in our house for 15 years and one day as I was leaving, I noticed a couple looking at the house from the street. The man said that the woman with him grew up there. I invited them in. She told me wonderful stories about her family and the origins of some of the trees in the yard. She approved of the changes that we made. She was frail and dying from cancer so this was a very bitter sweet visit. Some houses feel like they have a soul…our house is like that.

Bridget March 13, 2012 at 11:15 pm

@Black Eyed Susans Kitchen,

I want to thank you for being so kind hearted to these people. Just reading your comment made me tear up. I too believe some houses have souls.

Lisa March 12, 2012 at 8:42 am

I bought my first house with my boyfriend in 2000. It was such a cute little 2 bed. 1 bath cottage, and we redid the kitchen so it was perfect. But we broke up a few years later and I decided to sell it when I got engaged to someone else. It had too many memories with someone else for me to feel comfortable living there with my new husband. It was really hard to let it go.

A couple of years ago it went on the market and I went to the open house. Very weird to be back in my old house and see how much abuse it had taken from two very young children!

If I’d been in a position to do so I still would not have bought it back, simply because of the old memories, but I still love that house more than any other.

Luciane at Homebunch.com March 12, 2012 at 9:04 am

I did! It was for sale once and I knew the owners had moved, so I walked around the house and picked through the windows to see the kitchen. I still dream about our first house. I didn’t like it much when we lived there, but now I miss all the memories we made there. :-(

Our 1st place will always be very special, no matter how much nicer our current home is.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Karena March 12, 2012 at 9:04 am

Love the series and this house is so different from her lifestyle now. She has grown through her trials ( no pun intended) and tribulations. She won’t go back after this visit!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Mari-Lynn Poskin March 12, 2012 at 9:05 am

My first house was an adorable little craftsman bungalow in Lincoln, NE that originally served as a parish house for the church behind it. As such, it had the unusual feature of two huge walk-in closets, with windows, in the main bedroom. When my daughter was born, we converted one of the closets into a nursery holding a crib, rocker and dresser…it was THAT big! While she cut her teeth on a teething ring, I began my lifelong obsession with remodeling. We sold it for full price to the first person that looked and moved out of state. Years later, we were visiting family and took her by to see it. While standing on the sidewalk pointing at the house, the owners (not who we sold it to) came out, looked at my daughter and asked if she was the baby who used to sleep in their closet…they invited us in and it was a delightful visit!

Melinda March 12, 2012 at 9:20 am

We have a growth chart inside our pantry door. It is not only for our family but my husband measures everyone who comes over ! hahahaha ! The neighbor kids check their growth out frequently.

hookedonhouses March 12, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Love that he measures everyone who visits! :-)

Rick March 12, 2012 at 9:21 am

Julia,
Great house, and for a tv show it looks like a location shot (real house). So many are sets, beautiful but not “real”.
My wife and I moved from a house we built and stopped driving past because the new owners were making insensitive “improvements”. Just sad.
The house we live in now is more old fasioned than many people are looking for . The previous owners built it in 1978 and raised their kids here and had a hard time letting it go. Mr __ drives around the cul-de-sac to check things out 2-3 times a year since we bought it over 5 years ago. We have some contact with them and they have written us that they are glad “their house” went to us. We have taken more time to listen to the house before we make changes and most of the changes were to freshen up what was already here. The house hugs us everyday and we don’t want to lose that.

rick

Meggan June 8, 2012 at 9:49 am

It is a real house. It’s about a mile from where we live in a beautiful part of the Bronx. I actually love that house so much that I got on here just to check if there were pictures. My husband had driven past the house the day they were filming this episode. I love, love, love the porch!

hookedonhouses June 8, 2012 at 11:17 am

Interesting! Thanks, Meggan!

Molly @thewaffler March 12, 2012 at 9:26 am

This is one of my favorite shows (and one of the first episodes I missed). I love the character, Alicia, but I still can’t help calling her “Nurse Hathaway” in my mind.

Sarah @ housecrazy March 12, 2012 at 9:35 am

I don’t watch that show – but what a great premise! The image of her going back to her former house is very powerful.
I feel the same way about my former houses – bittersweet. Life goes on but I think part of our hearts stay in all the places that we have lived.

Rhianna March 12, 2012 at 9:48 am

I can’t wait to see pics of her apartment, I absolutely love it! I still have a tv guide from the first season of The Good Wife, it had a couple pics of her apt.

Mary March 12, 2012 at 11:22 am

I would love to see some shots of the kitchen from the Waltons. Also some pics from Meg Ryan’s apt in You’ve Got Mail.

hookedonhouses March 12, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Mary–I’ve featured “You’ve Got Mail.” Go to my “Houses Onscreen” page and you’ll find it and all the other TV and movie houses I have photos of, listed in alphabetical order:

Mary March 12, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Thanks! New to your blog and love it! I am definitely hooked on houses! I live in a 200 year old brick colonial in Vermont and love it dearly, but it doesn’t stop me from looking at houses that catch my eye. And there are many…

Kelly March 12, 2012 at 1:19 pm

The house I spent my first 18 years in is only a couple of miles from where I live now, which is my dad’s childhood home. I try not to drive past my old house any more because it’s become so decrepit that it just makes me sad. If the outside looks so bad, I can only imagine what the inside looks like.

hookedonhouses March 12, 2012 at 4:05 pm

It really is sad to see a former home that’s no longer looking its best. When I saw the first house we owned in Indiana a few years ago when it was for sale, it was a wreck. They had put up an ugly chain-link fence across just half of the backyard, ruining the rolling views of the creek and the woods, and there were a ridiculous number of garden statues, gnomes, stone donkeys, etc, in the front yard. The landscaping was a mess, and they had a collection of beer steins lined up across the beams in the living room. I’d rather remember the house the way it was when we were there!

Linda @ MyCraftyHomeLife March 12, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I think I’m the only one who doesn’t watch this show. I can’t remember if you have ever done Mad Men? I’ll go check in your search…it starts on the 25th, so excited.

hookedonhouses March 12, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Yep, I did, back when the first season was on. I really should update it–so much has happened on “Mad Men” since then!

Becky March 12, 2012 at 2:27 pm

My girlfriend of 45 yrs, (we met in 5th grade when our family moved from Texas back to Indiana) lived in back to back houses with an alley between us. I returned to Texas many yrs ago, but when I went back to Indiana 2 yrs ago, Sheila & I visited our childhood homes. I was unable to go into mine, but the lady who lived in Sheila’s, was gracious enough to let us come in. Oh the memories!! We spoke of so many while we were in there. I must say everything did seem soo small now tho. And on that trip, I found out.. that was my daddy’s childhood home also!! He left for the war from that home. Why I never KNEW that!! The home really is in my heart!

hookedonhouses March 12, 2012 at 3:58 pm

What a great story!

Becky March 12, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Love this show! But do I wish they would get rid of that Gosh-Awful wig they have her wear!!

hookedonhouses March 12, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Gotta agree. Her hair just never looks right. I guess they decided her natural curls weren’t what her character called for, but still, I think she looks better with them!

Mia's Pearls March 12, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I actually drove by the only house that we bought and renovated, we poured our hearts and soul into that house. The couple who bought it from us, liked it so much, they got to keep our sofas and a book case (we had larger furniture in storage) and when we drove by not too long ago, it looked just the same. (sold it in 2006, so that made me really, really happy). It was just as we left it, part from a shrub at the front, which had seen better days when we left.

Kim March 12, 2012 at 7:12 pm

What a beautiful house! I would love to have a place like that. Especially one you can make memories in.

Beth March 12, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I haven’t had the chance to watch this show but this post reminded me of the song “House That Built Me,” by Miranda Lambert. I had to hear it about 10 times before I stopped crying all the way through it.

Menahil December 10, 2012 at 10:13 am

Me too! I just love that song. It makes my heart sink every time I listen to it.

Tammy March 13, 2012 at 4:55 am

I actually found it strange that the new family living there wouldn’t have painted over those growth charts. I know, dramatic license!

hookedonhouses March 13, 2012 at 8:04 am

I wondered the same thing…although I’m not sure I’d have the heart to paint over someone else’s growth chart, either!

When we moved from our last house, I really hated to leave our kids’ growth chart behind. We copied it from the door frame onto a long sheet of paper and brought it here to our new house. Now we keep it on the paper so we can take it with us when we leave. :-)

nanne March 13, 2012 at 7:20 am

a man whose parents had built our alabama home (in the mid 1940′s) was passing through town, dropped by & asked if he could see the house. for some weird reason (maybe i was having a party that night), the house was spotlessly clean, thank goodness. he was very interesting, told some stories about the house. his parents loved camelias-there were dozens in our yard- & even hybridized their own. he showed me the one his parents had named for him.

among the many hard things about selling that house was leaving the camelias and our childrens’ growth chart.

on the flip side, the woman who lives in my great-grandparents’ home in montgomery, al is a saint. i cannot tell you how many members of my family have knocked on her door & asked to see the home. she has always been gracious & welcoming. AND, she has great taste…the house has been beautifully renovated and decorated.

thanks for a fun post!

nanne in columbus, indiana

Deb in AZ March 13, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Yes, I did get weepy feeling when she went back. I like her x-hubby too and think they should put her back in the house. Maybe good for the show to go off on another tangent. She could change the place up a bit and maybe have her x over to visit sometimes. Ha!

Amy March 13, 2012 at 3:09 pm

My house was built in 1925. On the wall in my youngest daughters bedroom closet is a growth chart dating back to the 1920′s. Our house has only had 4 owners and they have all measured their kids on this wall. It is the absolute BEST part of my house.

Someone once suggested that I take the wall down to increase the size of the room (it’s the smallest bedroom in the house but the closet is huge by comparison) and I nearly died at the suggestion. I would never even consider losing such an important element of our house. I love it so much that the closet is always one of the stops if I am giving company a tour of the house.

Barbara March 13, 2012 at 3:50 pm

It looks like a house in the town I grew up in, Hackensack New Jersey. Does anyone know the actual location? The house is even lovelier in person, the last time I saw it it was painted a pale silvery grey green.

bfish March 13, 2012 at 7:59 pm

The Good Wife is filmed in NYC, but is supposed to take place in Chicago. From reading about the show, they have definitely used some places in northern NJ/metro NYC area for location shooting so it may be the house you remember.

Karen March 13, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I loved this episode. I definitely teared up when she saw the height chart on the door. I like her apartment better than the house…I wonder if she’ll buy the apartment?
Karen

Debra March 13, 2012 at 7:52 pm

We love The Good Wife – and yes we thought it so sad that the owners had not painted over the growth chart. But, that is part of the writers ploy to keep us hooked!!

Janice Mahon March 15, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Oh wow. Memories. My parents built a bungalow in West Hempstead, Long Island in 1950. A small three bedroom house, with a front porch trellis covered with roses, the side yard with a bird bath, lots of room for kids like me to play. My parents sold it for $15,000 in 1956 when we moved to SoCal. I recently saw the house on a website, huge houses built on both sides, no side yard. But the roses were still blooming on the trellis. Maybe it is best just to dream. Thanks for posting.

bobby March 26, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Thanks.

Love your site.

Great blogs and your responses are really helpul.

laney March 28, 2012 at 3:10 pm

…i visited the house i grew up in some years ago…the atlanta airport had bought the land…and all the houses were to be moved…my friend and i were in the neighborhood “saving” plants and flowers…i kept the street sign…and my husband moved many many stones from the stone wall my daddy had made across the back yard almost 4o years before…but…the very best moment happened when i opened my closet…and found the words i had written as nineteen year old college girl leaving the room i had lived in since infancy…”this is a happy room…please love and take care of it for me”…my name…and my words…and my heart were still there…i cry to this day when i think of that…

{ 1 trackback }