Jennifer Aniston’s Sleek New House in Bel Air

Jennifer Aniston Buys Contemporary House in Bel-Air | hookedonhouses.netJennifer Aniston has reportedly plunked down $21 million on this 8,500 square-foot house in Bel-Air, California. It was designed in 1965 by architect A. Quincy Jones and looks a lot more contemporary than her last place.

The house originally went on the market for $29 million in 2008.

There are lots of great floor-to-ceiling windows:

A long covered balcony off the second floor:

According to Yahoo! Real Estate, the house comes with “more than three acres of land, views of the city and ocean, a pool, a guesthouse, a wine cellar, and—last but certainly not least—a vineyard. Let’s not forget to look inside: those distinctly mid century-feeling interiors boasts gleaming wood floors, full-wall expanses of glass, and some pretty stunning fireplace detail.”

Jen seems to love real estate. Last May it was reported that she bought 2 apartments in NYC.

TMZ has all the photos if you want to see more. A gossip blog suggested that Jennifer bought this house so she and her boyfriend Justin Theroux could start a family here. It doesn’t really scream “family home” to me, though.

I preferred the more modest house she was renting with him in the Hollywood Hills:

Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux rental Beverly Hills

It looked so much cozier to me. But maybe she has plans to revamp this new place the way she did with her former Beverly Hills home known as Ohana:

Jennifer Aniston's house Ohana Beverly Hills

P.S. If you’re a fan of “Friends:”

25 Things You Didn't Know About the Sets on Friends

Comments

1. Janice says

I too hope we get to see what she does with the place. She’ll warm it up a bit, I am sure. As warm as these mid century homes can ever feel, that is.

2. Mandy says

I agree, I like the one she was renting better. The new one is too modern for me and cold.

3. jodi from new jersey says

Wow! I didn’t realize she had so much money. That’s big bucks. I’m with you though, Julia . It’s pretty, but it has nothing to do with “home”, as far as I’m concerned. I ‘d prefer the rental also, or the “Stepmom” house, if we’re dreaming… . Different strokes for different folks. Thanks for the post.

• Margot says

Jodi! Where have you been? “Didn’t realize she had so much money”? The last couple of seasons of “Friends” she was making a very refreshing $1 million an episode! Yes, she has money. Lots and lots and lots of money. And I don’t like the house either. Looks like some kind of institution from the outside and the inside isn’t much better. I thought the whole reason for selling the house she remodeled was to “downsize.” I guess downsizing is a different concept if you can live in Bel Air and have boatloads of money…

Ugh, definitely do not like this house at all. Loved the one she was renting and even though I am not a fan of contemporary design, I absolutely LOVED her house in Beverly Hills and still oogle over the photos that were in Architectural Digest!

This is my favorite type of architecture, so I love it. The home itself is beautiful. I do like the decor, but it is not nearly as high end as it should be for this caliber of home. Great post Julia. 😉

• Melissa says

I love this type of architecture either! The house is perfect for me!!! I can expect to see very expensive art and furniture added here!!! I can definetely feel like home!

6. Amer in Illinois says

This house doesn’t jive with her personality at all. It seems cold and unwelcoming and she seems so down to earth and friendly. Maybe I’m just biased because I don’t like this style of home. I would much prefer the cozier rental. Oh well, it’s fun to look! :)

Love the architecture of the house but the interior design is very generic especially the bedroom. I’m sure it will be decorated tastefully and in keeping with the style of the house before she moves it

8. Amber in Illinois says

^That’s Amber, not Amer… (too early in the morning!!) 😉

I would much prefer the Hollywood Hills home myself. There’s just something about rustic wood floors and ceiling beams that makes my heart sing…but hey, if I had any of those houses I’d be a-okay! 😉 I’m a fan of Jenn’s. No matter where she is I just hope she finds love and has the family she’s wanted for so long.
    Team Aniston!
    Lisa

10. Laura says

Reminds me a lot of one of the houses used in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo!

I agree that her new house seems a little sparse as it appears in the photos. But with all that natural light and beautiful views, I’m sure there’s things she can do to warm it up. Her rental seems more indicative of her fun personality. I’d love to see her new house when she’s done decorating!!

I love the wide open space and wood floors. I doubt that she’ll leave it the way it is but I also can’t imagine that home looking as cozy and warm as her former rental. It will be interesting to see what she does.

13. Tricia says

I’d love to see the “after” pics, once she’s had time to personalize the space. Because right now it’s pretty heinous. So harsh & uninviting.

I would have to add a lot of fabulous art and extra furniture. Too many cavernous, cold spaces. It could be wonderful though!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

15. Suzanne says

Yikes for $21 million, one would think the new owner wouldn’t need to do any work to it! This is just so very, very blah and there is nothing warm & comforting about this house at all.

Love the simplicity of the house. Would make a perfect backdrop for a collection of art or pottery. Look how those red Bauer pots pop.

17. Ann says

I’ll reserve judgment until she decorates it (like anyone cares what I think!) but right now it looks like a motel.

18. Julie B says

I bet the location is amazing, but too mod and bland for my taste. But, in its defense, I assume these pics were probably taken either before the house went on the market, or to stage it for selling, so that’s probably why it’s so impersonal. The other homes pictured that she lived in really did look warmer. Like other people have said, she will add her own touch and hopefully share some after-pics!

I’ll be interested to see what she does with it as well because the decor in there currently is not as great as it could be (I think). Maybe the rooms are so massive it makes all the furniture look tiny:)

20. Christina from Dallas says

For sure she is going to renovate. She did a lot of work to her other house. I don’t think she would be happy to buy a house”off the rack”.

21. innerjuju says

If you were posting photos to sell your $21 million home, wouldn’t you clean the crap off your bedside tables and pick the junk up off the floor of your bedroom???

I’d prefer her cozy rental any day of the week, that is definitely my style. The house she just bought does seem extremely sterile. Here’s hoping to she adds a homey warmth to it.

23. OKMrazor says

Looks like a blank slate to me.

Gotta think a strong decorator could make it sing. Add that to some well-considered architectural enhancements and that could be amazing.

Hailing from New England, I’ve always leaned toward the traditional and used to scoff at houses like this… Stark and cold, right? Then I was lucky enough to visit one beauty like this sitting high above Beverly Hills. All those windows with the lights of LA dancing beneath you… it’s really amazing. Warm. Vibrant.

Definitely wouldn’t have guessed.

24. Kim says

I hate to say this, but I’ve seen bachelor pads that look better than this house. Not my style or type of house at all. I’ll take her rental over this any day.

I totally LOVE her rental house but I also love contemporary architecture and that new one could be fabulous with the right decor. I’m thinking it’ll be lots cozier once she gets it all decorated.

Yikes, I agree. The rental looks so much more inviting and cozy, especially for kids (down the line). Oh well, to each his own where “home” is concerned, right?
    Karen

i think when you’re stalked by paparrazi like that a huge home is the way to go. you can’t get away from them so you have to have a lot of private space for when it’s not worth going out and dealing with them.

• Laura Lawrence says

Yeah, or all the charm of a shopping mall.
      If it was me I would want a cozy cottage
      by the sea so Justin could easily find me !
      Stay here and..
      It could take all day to find your mate
      for receation, and by then you would be
      too tired !
      I hope they fill it to the brim with
      warm soft, inviting stuff.
      Plants, oranges, yellows..
      and just panoramic..
      Go Jenny go, you are the greatest.
      Love Justin too ! YOU WON !

I wish I could find just one thing to like about this house. I really don’t see how that house can be helped out of it’s frigid appearance, there is only so much one can do with mid modern, unless one wants to get serious with remodeling.
    Her rental seemed so much more cozy, warm, modest, and inviting.
    Maybe she will do something spectacular with it.

29. Melinda says

I think it looks cold and sterile in the photos but I’m betting some artwork and those fabulous views will warm it right up. And hey, how can you go wrong with your own vineyard?

Justin Theroux will forever be the guy who was a bit too quick on Sex and the City. I hope she does a redo more like the BH house. It really doesn’t look like anything special in the first photo. But the floor to ceiling windows throughout are pretty amazing.

31. Dean says

Love the house–hate the way it’s decorated. With different (vintage) furnishings it could shine.

love it. love the light and the open floor plan and jennifer will no doubt create an oasis.
    I think the light is great.
    pve

33. Marie says

I think this might be my favorite house yet! Jen is obviously interested in modern architecture and has a great eye for it. I love the simplicity, if only the price tag reflected that! But I’m sure the price is so high because of the view, 3 acres, and vineyard.

34. Jane says

There is a reason why contemporary homes can be a tough sell for the average buyer and Aniston’s home is a perfect example. People simply can’t imagine living there, keeping the floors clean, the house immaculate. It doesn’t feel like “home” except perhaps to those who grew up in absolute clutter and want the complete opposite.

I do appreciate Aniston’s home as a akin to a piece of art but the home has no personality, no clue (as far as I can tell) about who lives here. And so many white or light colored rugs! With a possible baby on the way?

Wow, that’s a really sad-looking house at any price. What is up with the low ceilings, doctor’s office furniture, and weird wall placements? I can only assume, based on these and other photos I’ve seen of the property, that she is going to majorly renovate on this otherwise nice piece of land (the on-site vines, views, etc. are nice). Looking forward to seeing what she does with it… those are going to be some “before”s and “after”s.

36. Talia says

Not for me. It feels very sterile, crisp and cool. No thanks.

37. tammy says

It’s look like computer or electronic small company. Jenifer Aniston bad taste

38. nieman says

Bad decoration. She should throw away all of these furnitures then buy new one. Over price and the house look cheap

39. Christina says

I don’t like this either.. What the heck does she have against comfort, approachable, something that looks lived in? These homes she chooses look cold, uncomfortable, museum looking.. awful. No, No, NO!! again she has chosen something that I can promise she won’t spend two years in. This is awful! So many homes to choose from with a much better look..what’s with all the sharp, hard edges. It’s so unlike what I thought her personality was like.. It’s cold and uninviting… I hate it. Simple. I hate it.. It won’t last ..watch. She’ll have it on the market before you know it. I hate Courteney Cox’s taste in homes as well. All those homes in Malibu she bought and I’m telling you, they were awful. The decor terrible, the homes uninviting, all bad taste.. What’s up with these people with a ton to spend on any and everything their heart desires and they have such lousy taste? Who the heck wants to live in a museum!! YUCK!!

I love modern architecture but I’m not crazy about this example (sorry Mr A. Quincy Jones). Photos 1 – 3 look like hotel lobbies, the dining room is very odd proportions – long and narrow, with a view out onto …what? Whatever it is, the room looks sterile, shaded and cold. The bedroom is actually too big (bedrooms that are too big are not welcoming to settle down in).
    Each to his own but it wouldn’t be *my* choice of modern architecture. The trouble is that in owning a building like this, by such a well-known architect, I feel is in some ways similar to owning, say, a fine old Georgian building. There is a responsibility to leave them largely as originally built. I don’t doubt that she loves it and will leave it pretty much as is.

dear miss jennifer Aniston:
    I’m Mr. wayne Covington writing to say hello,and tell you that I love you somuch that w e should get married,and I need a place to stay.I want to say happy holidays,and happy valentines.I might send you a gift.I want you to please help me to find a apartment,or a home.Tell your ex husband Mr Brad Pitt that I’m not trying to follow his every woman around.I’m just trying to be friends.I need all the money in the world.Tell all your rich friends that I’m single and free never been married and need a lady you can keep me companyand sympathize for me I need a home,and catreer goals.I ‘m staying a shelter home,and if you don’t want to stay you have to around me I undrestand it.Please help with all the cash money you can give me$1 Billion Dollars anything $250 thousand dollars.Anthing I’ll love you forever do anyway just keep it a secret so that your men don’t get jealous I’m very poor in wealth.Call me anytime 1.336.995.0150
    I stay in Winston-Salem NC 27127

42. Lynn says

Everyone’s entitled to their opinions of course, but I so disagree with most of the comments on this amazing house. Sure, all the furniture should go out on the curb but that’s an amazing work of art! The light alone (especially in that part of the country), and the way it will change throughout the day, is better than any interior decorating one could do. And as for cozy…well, when I look at what people around the country call “cozy” (I’m a HGTV addict), all I see is clutter, clutter, clutter. I pray she doesn’t “cozy” up this amazing space. From what I remember of interviews done when she was married to Pitt, they both had pretty advanced architectural IQs so there’s hope. Just because there’s not a lot of stuff in a room doesn’t mean it has to be cold, from a mid-century modern perspective. After all, Jonathan Adler is a midcentury modernist and his work is anything but cold.

43. Sydney says

Hi, I am emailing to inform you about the latest A. Quincy Jones residence to come on the market. Below is the information along with a link to pictures for your use if you would like. Please feel free to reach out for any more information on the home or listing agents.

Sydney

A. Quincy Jones Architectural Masterpiece Hits the Los Angeles Real Estate Market??ST JAMES + CANTER announce the listing of an A. Quincy Jones designed home located in prime Beverly Hills location??Today, Luxury Real Estate duo, Cristie St. James and Markus Canter of ST JAMES + CANTER at Prudential CA Realty Beverly Hills, announced the new listing of a coveted A. Quincy Jones designed home located in a prime Beverly Hills location. A. Quincy Jones was a Los Angeles-based architect known for his innovate, modernist designs which have become staples in Palm Springs, Palo Alto, Bel Air, Beverly Hills and other prominent areas of Southern California. More recently, actress, Jennifer Anniston purchased an A. Quincy Jones designed Bel Air mansion and vineyard for $20.97 million.??Listing agent, Markus Canter describes the Beverly Hills residence as “an ultimate example of the Purity, Harmony, and Elegance of A. Quincy Jones’ architecture and the mastery of his use of natural light, design, space, and environment.”. The Beverly Hills estate, located on more than 35,000 sq ft of lot, is hidden away from the public eye with the home located up a long, private, gated driveway. Outside the home rests the tranquil entry courtyard and sparkling water fountain. Upon entering the the dynamic Post-And-Beam, modernist residence, you will be pleasantly surprised by the massive large-scale open floor plan with dramatic 18’’ soaring ceilings, sunken living room, and walls of glass that look out to the park-like manicured, landscaped grounds and pool. With five bedrooms, five bathrooms, and a three car garage this Architectural Digest Quality Home is a once in a lifetime opportunity. The 5,200 sq ft Beverly Hills residence (920 Foothill DR. Beverly Hills, CA 90210) is listed at $6,499,000. More information about this property can be found at http://www.920foothilldrive.com.??About ST JAMES + CANTER??ST JAMES + CANTER is one of the most significant top producing luxury residential real estate teams in Los Angeles consistently ranked among the top 1% in annual gross sales nationwide.?With nearly 25 years of experience and extensive knowledge, they have gained the reputation of being among the elite leaders in the representation of Buyers and Sellers of Luxury Estates, Architectural Properties, and High-End Luxury Condominiums in Los Angeles specializing in Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Sunset Strip, West Hollywood, & Hollywood Hills.
    ###
    Please find pictures for your use HERE?

44. Helen Beal says

It’s beautiful. Jennifer it’s so you. So California. Wish it were me.

45. Gentry says

jennifer is into contemporary I saw pics of her home she shared with Brad. So I doubt she changes much if any. I was surprised though she looks like she would like a safe flowery traditional home

46. sharris says

Jennifer… Great find. She is blessed with excellent eye for real estate along with all her many other admirable qualities.

47. Laura Lawrence says

I really do think she is up for the challenge,
    being an Aquarius and stuff and him a
    Leo. She may have ideas you and I never
    think about ,altho I am Aquarius as well..lol

48. Laura Lawrence says

Just think , she could fill this house up with treasures
    she has picked from all over the world.!