“Breaking Dawn:” Edward & Bella’s Tropical Honeymoon Hideaway in Brazil

by hookedonhouses on November 21, 2011

Are you one of the many Twihards who stood in line to catch the latest installment of the Twilight Saga over the weekend? Breaking Dawn Part 1 pulled in a staggering $30.25 million on Friday alone. Wow.

I read all of Stephenie Meyers’ books in the series when they first came out and was frankly not crazy about this one (couldn’t get past the “baby” storyline). I was eager to get a look at Bella and Edward’s honeymoon hideaway on “Isle Esme,” though, so I tracked it down. It’s a pretty fabulous beach house. Wanna see?

They filmed the honeymoon scenes at Casa em Paraty, a luxury vacation home in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The setting is gorgeous.

The house was designed by Thiago Bernardes of the architecture firm Bernardes + Jacobsen. It was featured in the January 2011 issue of Architectural Digest. Here’s a shot of the front of the house that appeared in the magazine:

AD describes it as “a rustic beach house built for the Fernandes family on the Brazilian fjord of Saco do Mamanguá. The area is so remote that the family can only reach its house by boat or helicopter.”

These pivoting glass doors are so cool. They were designed to let the sea breezes blow through the house. Ahhh…

In this screenshot from the trailer, Edward carries Bella over the threshold by pushing the glass door open:

Architectural Digest recently wrote about this Brazilian beach house again, featuring an interesting interview with the film’s production designer, Richard Sherman. He tells AD:

“A number of the scenes that take place inside the Brazil beach house were actually shot on sets—a bedroom, bathroom, and courtyard—built on a Louisiana soundstage. The production team’s challenge was to create a seamless transition between the house and the sets.

“We see Edward and Bella arrive at the house at night. Then she walks through the living room, and the scene cuts to our set. You can’t tell the difference. It looks like a part of that house.”

Sherman says they even recreated their own version of the exterior of the house with visual effects when they arrive on the boat. “What you see of the real house is the front door, the steps leading up to it, the veranda, and all those glass doors.”

Rates range from $7,000 a night to $15,000, depending on the time of year. So, you know, not for the budget traveler.

I played chess on my honeymoon, too…didn’t you? ;-)

This walkway spans from the master bedroom on one side of the living room to more bedrooms on the other:

Bella walks into the honeymoon suite with the white canopy bed, which is actually a set built back in Louisiana (another crappy screenshot from the trailer–will have to wait until the DVD comes out to get better ones):

In the book, the house is on an island owned by Edward’s “mother,” dubbed Isle Esme. It was a gift from her husband Carlisle. It has “the pale-on-pale color scheme preferred by the Cullens.” In the bedroom is an “absolutely huge white bed in the center of the room, hung with billowy clouds of mosquito netting.”

There are 6 bedrooms in the house. This is the master:

I featured Bella’s house and both of the houses used for the Cullens in the past (different houses were used in different movies), so I was trying to figure out if they were the same sets in this one. Turns out Bella’s is the same, but they rebuilt the entire 3-story Cullen house on a soundstage in Louisiana, with exteriors shot in Vancouver.

You can moor your boat right off the beach when you visit. Something to keep in mind when planning your trip!

Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson play lovebirds Bella and Edward. My husband was dragged went to the last installment in the Twilight series with me and complained that there’s at least a 5 second delay between each line of dialogue. He swears the movie would have been half as long if they didn’t spend so much time staring mutely into each other’s eyes. Ha. He has a point.

They created a big, open kitchen on a soundstage, but I couldn’t find any photos of it. Or the master bath, for that matter. Bummer.

In the novel, Stephenie Meyer set the honeymoon on an island in the middle of nowhere. That presented a challenge for location scouts. Hard to find something that remote. After four weeks of searching, they settled on this house, even though there are views of other tropical islands from here.

The aerial view of the property:

Have you seen Breaking Dawn yet? What did you think? Did Edward and Bella’s honeymoon house look the way you imagined it would? More photos and information at the Casa em Paraty website, Architectural Digest, and Casa Sugar. AD photos taken by Iain Kemp.

More Twilight Goodness:

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints November 21, 2011 at 8:25 am

OOOh great post Julia. Just saw this this weekend and of course fell in love with that honeymoon hide-out! Just swoon worthy.

Luciane at Homebunch.com November 21, 2011 at 8:30 am

I’m from Brazil and Paraty is a paradise! Loved this post. Sunning home and locations!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Junia November 21, 2011 at 8:32 am

I am originally from Brazil and lived most of my life in Rio de Janeiro.

My biggest problem with the honeymoon as described in the book is that Bella and Edward get married in August, which is Summer in the Northern Hemisphere, but Winter in the Southern part of the World. Maybe Stephenie Meyer doesn’t know that, but it is actually a LITTLE cold in Rio during Winter. No wait, I shouldn’t say it is, but it can be. And the waters in the beaches of Rio are always cold during this time of the year. So all that talk of how warm it was during their honeymoon bugged me a little.

hookedonhouses November 21, 2011 at 8:37 am

Good point! I hadn’t heard anyone mention that.

Linda November 22, 2011 at 7:56 am

But they weren’t honeymooning in Rio, they were on Esme’s private island.

hookedonhouses November 22, 2011 at 7:59 am

In the book it’s described as being near there, though. They land in Rio and then take a boat to the island.

Christy November 22, 2011 at 4:49 pm

It doesn’t matter if it’s not in Rio anyway. I’m about 99.9% positive that Stephanie Meyer’s has no clue about the difference in weather patterns between the northern and southern hemisperes.

I’m still debating whether to see the movie. I didn’t hate the first book. The same cannot be said about the other 3 books. My feelings actually grew stronger as each book came out.

But the honeymoon house is fabulous. I just need to find $7,000 so I can see it in person :)

Christy November 22, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Er, Meyers, not Meyer’s. I’ve been doing that all day. Good thing it’s a short week!

belledame November 28, 2011 at 1:24 am

actually, it’s meyer. no ‘s.’ and i can’t believe that didn’t occur to me while reading the book! :shamefaced:

Laura November 21, 2011 at 8:38 am

What an amazing spot – truely Culleny :-p

That was a high point of how long the honeymoon scenes dragged on…ok, ok, so Bella’s husband won’t have sex with her…..at least she (and the audience) get some amazing scenery to watch! haha

Ami @ parsnipsandpears November 21, 2011 at 8:42 am

I agree with you about Breaking Dawn being my least favorite of the books… the baby part was just toooooo crazy and drawn out for me.

I too however am excited to see the honeymoon location! I haven`t seen the movie yet, but love this preview… looks amazing!

Lisa November 21, 2011 at 8:56 am

It’s my favorite book, mostly for the bloody gorey birth scene and Bella’s transformation.
As for the Honeymoon spot, nope, it doesn’t look anything as it described in the book. Beautiful house though but so much more larger than how it’s described and the colors were off.

Carrie November 21, 2011 at 9:00 am

So, I did not wait in line to see Breaking Dawn because I was at the theater at 4:30 to watch a Twilight marathon. Yes, I am one of those crazy Twi-Hards!!! The honeymoon house is amazing. There is one scene at night when Bella is in the bedroom and the doors are opened to the beach. Fabulous!!! This is also my least favorite book, however, I think the movie is excellent. For a Twilight movie. I might be a little biased though!!! Great post!

Suzette November 21, 2011 at 10:01 am

I saw BD this weekend and loved it – even though it was my least favorite of the books. Love the honeymoon house. I would gladly spend some time there!

Ricki Jill Treleaven November 21, 2011 at 10:26 am

Love the post, Julia, thanks so much for putting it together for us! I did not wait in line for the midnight premier, and it is the first time I have not because my older daughter is away at school, and I was usually taking her and her high school friends to the movies. She went to the midnight movie with her sorority sisters. They rented an entire theater for themselves and their dates!

I want to see it this week at some point. Maybe on Black Friday because I will not be shopping on that day!

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!
~Ricki Jill

Deb November 21, 2011 at 10:48 am

I was hooked until the end of the third book, then it just got silly. And I saw the first movie, but it was so corny it turned me off from the series forever – ha! But I’ll look at houses anytime so I love this post :)

Jamie@WrightHouseAffairs.com November 21, 2011 at 10:52 am

I’m no Twi-hard, but I could very much handle vacationing in a home like this! Apparently vampires have no honeymoon budget?! ;)

Lorna November 21, 2011 at 11:47 am

Love the post, but what happened to Bella’s other leg in the close up of Edward carrying her?!!!

Peggy November 21, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I wondered the same thing, Lorna!

hookedonhouses November 21, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Good question! Movie magic? Ha.

T. November 21, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Hilarious! I didn’t notice until you mentioned it, but you’re right–it’s missing!

I read all four books and saw the first two movies, but I have no desire to to see any more.

HollyM November 21, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Beautiful house. But Twilight?? I caught a few minutes of the first movie this fall on some cable channel. I thought the glimpse I got was laughable, it was so badly acted. I’m completely flumoxed over the hype and hysteria.

Bre November 21, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I <3 this post Julia! I am a crazy Twihard fan, and I went to the midnight showing with friends as it is our tradition. I have to say I adored the movie, it had romance, action, and the wolves never disappoint. I loved their wedding and their honeymoon hideaway was absolutely gorgeous, just what I pictured from the books. This house is incredible! I love the glass doors, the house is so bright and spacious. Love the behind the scenes information regarding this house and the sets they had to build, it transitioned seamlessly from scene to scene. You're so lucky your husband has watched the movies with you, my boyfriend would never! Thank for this and all of your Twilight posts :)

Please promise me you will go see it! I want to see it again actually, with my mom and my recently engaged friend, she needs to see it for wedding inspiration! :)

Kim November 21, 2011 at 5:26 pm

What a relaxing vacation spot. The home and everything is built around the view and I love that. This would be a great place to spend sometime.

Sorry to say, but I am not a Twilight fan at all and I think the movies are over hyped. I’ve watched a couple minutes of the first movie and it was bad. Plus I don’t like the Twilight vampires. They aren’t the true ones you see in other movies and tv shows.

Amanda @ Serenity Now November 21, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Oh, you’re killin’ me! I’m holding out b/c my sis promised she’d go with me to see it, but I guess we have to wait until I get back into town from our Thanksgiving trip…and that means before she leaves to go home to Tennessee! The house looks like it’s worth the ticket price just to see. ;)

Jared November 21, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Why isn’t he glowing?

hookedonhouses November 22, 2011 at 7:21 am

He only glows in direct sunlight. It must’ve been a cloudy day. ;)

jacob black`s girl April 24, 2013 at 3:48 pm

I JUST RELIZED THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is going to brother me every time i watch Breaking Dawn Part 1.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... November 22, 2011 at 8:43 am

Wow. Totally gorgeous. Excellent location/house.

Nita November 22, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I don’t get the Twilight interest. I have seen two of the movies because my granddaughter is interested in it, but for the life of me, I don’t think I have ever seen any worst movies ever made. I like Taylor Lautner, the other two cannot act their way out of a paper bag. The house was okay. The movie was particularly gross, except for Taylor. :)

charliee April 29, 2012 at 1:48 pm

i think that you should watch more movies because you no nothing

debbie bailey November 22, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I just finished watching Breaking Dawn this afternoon and felt like coming home and having a good cry just to relieve the tension! Oh…my…goodness! Intense! I loved it!

charliee April 29, 2012 at 1:50 pm

i cried toooo

Joni Webb November 23, 2011 at 1:28 am

yeah!!! i went to the midnight show and laughed and cried, yes cried!!! but i’m a fanatic. loved the movie, it was so good — of course they played chess! anything not to have sex!!!!! what else would you do?

I did a story on this house when they filmed it. a month later – arch digest shows it and doesn’t mention the movie AT ALL. they finally wised up. all the grass was removed and sand replaced it for the movie. but i don’t think you even see that in the movie – can’t remember now.

GO SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kristen @ More Than Mulberries November 26, 2011 at 6:08 pm

I seriously love this series for what it is – just fun. It’s never going to win Academy Awards, it’s entertainment. We usually rent out a theater and do the midnight showing but we all decided we are too old to stay up that late this year and then get kids off to school a few hours later. It’s campy, it’s not perfect, but there are some great sets to go with the bad make up and I would rather watch this than another boring cop/car chase movie any day. Thanks for showing this house, pretty great honeymoon getaway, vampire or not!!!

Arachnaphobe November 26, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Gorgeous home, but…they have spiders the size of dinner plates that fear nothing there :-(

Natalie A. November 30, 2011 at 6:22 am

So who feels like booking the house on “Isle Esme”? How about we get a group of 50 of us and split the ridiculous cost? ;)
Absolutely loved this movie, even though some of the acting is ridiculous.
Thanks for sharing the info re: the houses/sets, always find it fascinating to read.
One TV show Im a huge fan of and would love to know more about the houses/sets is the Vampire Diaries which is filmed in Georgia. Some of the houses are truly gorgeous, and the “Salvatore brothers” have eclectic decorating taste lol

hookedonhouses November 30, 2011 at 8:21 am

Count me in, Natalie! :)

There are great houses in Vampire Diaries. Is it really filmed in Georgia? Didn’t know that!

charliee April 29, 2012 at 1:52 pm

that was my progect

Jennifer December 4, 2011 at 2:39 am

I agree that the honeymoon house did not look like it was described in the book; but neither did the Cullen house. In the book it was described as more old fashioned looking. But I absolutely loved both homes in the movies! Gorgeous!

Anne December 9, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I’m pretty sure that my husband and I played a different game on our honeymoon. Good news though, WE BOTH WON EVERYTIME! ;)

Gretta December 21, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Hey! I love this blog sooo much!
I’m only 16, but I love looking at pretty houses on Tv/ Movies.
One set I thought was cute was the house setting in “Son of the Mask”
and you already got the settings of my favourite house setting, Bewitched the movie, Sex and the City, etc!
thanks so much!

charliee April 29, 2012 at 1:55 pm

do you like edward i think that he is white and im black !!!!!!! im only 2000years old lololololol

NJ Cellulose Insulation Contractor January 5, 2012 at 11:51 am

Beautiful!

Cindy February 26, 2012 at 4:05 am

I went to see it on Thankgiving because it was finally free of crowds. I thought the honeymoom location was amazing and to me it was the highlight of the movie. The rest of it I could love without, it was poorly constructed, acting was poor, and sillly compared to the quality of the rest of the movies in the series. I will not bother buying it or watching it again. The house is amazing and worth the price of admission, but the movie was not.

Alex June 30, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Does anybody knows if this house can be rented? how much will be for a week?
Thanks

sarah rimjhim August 10, 2012 at 4:02 am

IT”S REALLY GR*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

nicole February 6, 2013 at 9:23 pm

im just saying right off that me and my 4 kids love the twlight movies and we are going to take a trip soon to stay in that home for 3 or 4 days just to see it and live it up for them few days .im just saying i really love it to pay that much./

Lisa March 15, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Would like to see Edward and Bella’s house from Breaking Dawn Part 2, PLEASE!!!!!

Laurie Evans April 3, 2013 at 12:52 am

Yeah, I played chess on my honeymoon, too. LOL

lollychizzy April 6, 2013 at 11:21 am

I have never read the novels but I have watched the film from the scratch to the peak,their honeymoon was spectacular,gorgeous,dnt even know how to describe it but the battle between the cullen’s and the volturi is really amazing and I am a twilight freak and I am crazy about it

bieber girl April 23, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jacob black`s girl April 24, 2013 at 3:51 pm

OMG! I really really really really really want it. Same as beiber girl but i will get it first.

bieber girl April 24, 2013 at 3:53 pm

WHATEVER!! I am on the same website as u r now and i am mad. u willnot get it before me. and i will make sure about that

jacob black`s girl April 24, 2013 at 3:55 pm

i love twilight and hopefully i get to marry taylor lautner and he can take me to that beautiful island

bieber girl April 24, 2013 at 4:08 pm

well Justin Bieber is cuter and i want him

tinkerbelle April 24, 2013 at 4:27 pm

break it up girls!! thats enough! nobody wants to hear this

Hi June 21, 2013 at 12:52 am

Oh my gosh…I wanna be Bella so bad I mean I want everything that happend to Bella……..She is so lucky….Edward is so cute in this one..I wanna be her so bad im think i might cry :’(

{ 6 trackbacks }