For Sale: The Victorian Home from “A League of Their Own”

by hookedonhouses on August 1, 2011

A League of Their Own house

It had been years since I saw the 1992 movie A League of Their Own, about the first professional women’s baseball league in the U.S. But when a reader told me that the Victorian mansion that doubled as their boarding house was on the market for $799,000, I sat down and watched it again.

It was a great old house in Henderson, Kentucky, that they filmed in. Here’s how it looked in the movie, when stars like Geena Davis, Rosie O’Donnell, and Madonna were playing the members of a baseball team who were living in it:

And here’s the house as it’s pictured in the listing today:

The place is huge, with nearly 17,000 square feet. (*Update: one listing I saw said 16,800. Another says 8,400 square feet. That sounds much more likely to me, so I’m thinking the 16,800 must be the incorrect number. Thanks to Margot for pointing that out!)

It has 3 stories and a full basement that have all been restored and updated.

Here’s how it looked in the movie, when it was decorated to look like a 1940s boarding house:

Madonna reportedly was not happy to spend so much time filming in such a small town. Somehow that doesn’t surprise me. :)

You can see how Madonna was used to living at the time–in her chic Manhattan apartment–here.

I love the double glass doors:

I tried to lighten these movie snapshots, but these scenes were all filmed at night and they still look dark. Sorry for making you squint!

Set decoration was done by George DeTitta Jr., who also worked on films like Sabrina and–one of my favorites–Stepmom. (The real Stepmom house was for sale earlier this year–you can see the photos here.)

There aren’t a lot of listing photos, and the ones they have aren’t great. But we can see the staircase (sort of–it’s pretty dark):

It’s just enough to tell that they apparently filmed inside the mansion (or replicated the staircase, which is less probable).

Here’s a shot of it from the movie:

The home was built in 1894 and has 9 fireplaces. One of them is shown in the listing:

The kitchen and bathrooms have all been updated. Again, I wish the photos were better. I’ve been checking every day for the last two weeks to see if they’d add new ones. I guess these are the ones they’re sticking with!

On the third floor is a great big ballroom that looks like a rehearsal hall-slash-saloon:

The ceilings are enormous!

The house looked really charming in the movie, setting the mood for the story and time period perfectly.

Tom Hanks played their manager with a drinking problem.

I thought this balcony was in the back of the house, but a reader just pointed out that it’s the front, and that the railing has just been changed. I think that’s right–thanks, Arie.

It looks like there could be individual apartments in the back of the house, although that’s not mentioned in the listing.

I always tear up at the end of the movie when all the players get together again years later as old women for their induction into the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum (in real life they were honored with a permanent exhibit in the museum). And I love the “Old Timers’ Game” played during the final credits.

The property is listed by Paula Johnston of F.C. Tucker, and there are a few additional photos on Trulia if you want to see them. (Thanks to Joan for telling me about it!)

Click here to see a list of all of the movie houses I’ve featured so far!

Luciane at Homebunch.com August 1, 2011 at 8:35 am

It’s amazing seeing Madonna like that! :-)

The house has is beautiful, sure needs some work, but its architecture is outstanding!

Thank you for sharing this, Julia!

Wishing you a great week!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Danielle August 1, 2011 at 8:39 am

I loved this movie so much and the end always makes me tear up a little bit.

What a beautiful house. The decor isn’t anything I’d pick out for myself but there’s so much character.

Also, how cool would it be to have a ballroom with a bar? I’d have to go and find lots of new friends to fill up all the parties I would have there!

Arie August 1, 2011 at 9:24 am

We just bought this move not too long ago. Good story, but the house in the movie is fantastic, although I think I would get lost in 17,000 square feet!

BTW, The 3rd to last picture, the one with the girls in the movie sitting on the railing is actually the front of the house. The railing design and the window/wall location match the upstairs porch of the movie house (first picture). The owners must have changed the railing design to what is now seen in the listing photo as they no longer look the same.

hookedonhouses August 1, 2011 at 9:32 am

You’re right! Thanks for pointing that out, Arie. I made a note about it in the post. -Julia

Kerry Rossow August 1, 2011 at 9:41 am

I could watch this movie a thousand times! The first 3 times because I love the movie and the rest so I could lookiloo at the sets!
Kerry at housetalkn.blogspot.com

Nathan August 1, 2011 at 11:30 am

That house is absolutely gigantic!

Katie August 1, 2011 at 11:42 am

As someone who grew up in the town where this house is located (Henderson,KY), I am tickled to see it featured here! I was only 3 or 4 when the filming took place, but I always recall stories of how, um, “unhappy” Madonna was to be here– apparently, Tom Hanks was incredibly nice, though (as if that’s any big surprise)! Even though I live in Chicago now, it’s so good to see a bit of nostalgia from my childhood. :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now August 1, 2011 at 11:55 am

“There’s no crying in baseball!” Love that movie…they did a great job with recreating that 1940s look, didn’t they? You’d think the Realtor could have taken some better shots though, huh??

Bre August 1, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Those ceilings, that porch, the balcony! What a gorgeous Victorian home. I love all the intricate details, and that bar/saloon area is so fun! I haven’t seen the movie in forever, but I will always remember the line, “There’s no crying in baseball!”

Mom in High Heels August 1, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I love this movie! Love, love, love it! If I had a spare $800K lying around, and wanted to live in KY, I’d totally buy that house!

Kim August 1, 2011 at 12:50 pm

How fun that you featured this movie. I saw it years ago, but couldn’t remember what it was called. I too loved the part when all the players got together again years later as old women. It made me smile.

That victorian home is to die for and I’m a huge fan of victorians. I love how most of the era is intact, but sad to see that they updated the kitchen. They couldn’t try and salvage the old cabinets or find some vintage ones that match the style? Maybe someone will buy the house and fix the kitchen.

Margot August 1, 2011 at 1:56 pm

“The place is huge, with nearly 17,000 square feet. ”
The MLS listing says 8400 square feet. What’s up with that?

hookedonhouses August 1, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Interesting! They changed it since I posted the info this morning. The other listing (Trulia) still has it as 17,000. I think 8,400 sounds much more likely, so the first number must have been wrong.

Thanks for pointing that out, Margot! I’ll update the post. -Julia

Kim August 1, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Zillow says the house is 8,400 sq ft and it would be most accurate I think.

Carla August 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I love, love, love this movie! So glad you featured the house! It got me to wondering if you have featured The Forrest Gump House or any of the houses from Fried Green Tomatoes? For some reason I find those 3 movies all a bit similar and I LOVE them! I will have to check your TV/ Movie houses tab now!

Angie August 1, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I live in Henderson, KY and it is so neat to see you feature this home! It is just gorgeous and it a quant, small town that I am happy to raise my family in :)

Beverly Palmer August 1, 2011 at 3:38 pm

You have to check out the home video tour. It has a picture of a chandelier that has 2 40 or 60 watt light bulbs! It also has a summer kitchen. I would love to see want the buyers do with this historic beauty!

Jocelyn Stott August 1, 2011 at 4:16 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie – SO much! Thank you so much for this post!

Jessica August 2, 2011 at 1:26 am

Love the house and the movie…wish it could have been left in it’s ‘movie state’, that always seems to be better. The railing and the corbels were so pretty in the movie, wonder why they were changed.
xo J~

Elvira August 2, 2011 at 2:49 am

Great house! Too bad I cannot remember much about the movie, I wasn’t hooked on houses back then. :)
Looking at the pictures I’m thinking of gallons of white paint to cover that gloomy, dark wood. The woodwork is beautiful and the staircase is spectacular but in it’s period dark colour and busy wallpaper, it gets lost in the murk. Sufficient lighting would work wonders, too.
I hope someone with the means and taste would bring the house back into it’s full potential, kitchen makeover included.

Holley August 2, 2011 at 5:12 am

I love that movie. The fireplace is gorgeous too. I really prefer the balcony in the movie–so much more interesting than the current railing.

Nancy Bea August 2, 2011 at 7:24 am

I have always loved this movie. Thank you for bringing the house in view.

threadbndr August 4, 2011 at 9:36 am

I sure hope the new owners DON’T paint the woodwork – the next new owners will have to strip it all and all the patina will be gone. Paint the walls, sure, but if you want white and beachy, then don’t buy a Vic or a Craftsman with old growth or quartersawn oak.

(Sorry, a bit of my personal hobbyhorse – staying true to the original architecture and style.)

Shauna September 11, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I love white, I’m not a dark wood fan, but I totally agree. Buying this house and painting all the original wood work white would be sacrilege!! Why buy something to ruin it simply because it isn’t your taste? Buy something that is!!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... August 4, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Such a fantastic place! I remember it well.

{ 2 trackbacks }