A Real “Up” Movie House Built in Utah

by hookedonhouses on July 11, 2011

Ireally liked the animated Disney/Pixar movie Up and the colorful little house that Carl and Ellie spent their lives together in. I still get sniffly just thinking about that opening montage that tells their love story.

So I was intrigued when I heard that some enterprising homebuilders were recreating the house from the movie in Herriman, Utah. What a fun idea! Here’s how it turned out:

Love it! Local station KSL.com reports that Bangerter Homes first got Disney’s permission to build it and then went to work.

It’ll be open for the Salt Lake Parade of Homes July 29-August 14 (man, I wish I could go!) and then it’ll be sold for around $400,000–just enough to cover the building costs.

They paid attention to every small detail, from the weather vane on top of the house:

To Carl and Ellie’s mailbox:

Remember the murals Ellie painted in the nursery and above the fireplace? Those were recreated, too:

The interiors aren’t finished yet, but they’ll have furniture designed to look like what was in the movie.

I would love to see it when it’s finished. Any readers in the Salt Lake area who could go to the Parade of Homes and snap some pics for us? Pretty please?  :-)

There were a lot of colors in the animated version of the house for the builder to replicate:

This makes me wish we used more colors on all of our houses. It’s so cheery!

“The movie kind of captured the idea that a house is a place where you live and you grow up and you live your life,” builder Blair Bangerter says. “We’ve tried to take this movie and bring it to life in a real home.”

They added a little extra space to the house and included a basement that the one in the movie (obviously) didn’t have. Their version has 2,800 square feet and a 2-car detached garage.

With the exterior finished, lookiloos are already stopping by to snap photos of the Up house. The builder adds balloons to the roof on the weekends for fun. “But not too many,” he laughs.

I’m sure there are some Disney/Pixar fans out there who would love to live in a house like this. Would you?

*UPDATE: Readers sent me some great interior photos of the house that I posted here.

You can read more about it and watch the video on KSL.com. There’s more information and photos of the house being built on the builder’s website. Parade of Homes info here. Thanks to Sherrie for telling me about it!

The Little Red Shop July 11, 2011 at 7:38 am

Sweet! It’s pretty amazing that they were able to get permission from Disney to do all of that. I loved “Up!” and I’m looking forward to seeing what they do with the rest of the interiors.

Have a great week!

: )

Julie M.

Alex July 11, 2011 at 7:43 am

That is excellent! There are few houses I’ve seen on other websites that look similar, but I love that someone has actually recreated the house. I’d love to see pictures of the inside.

Amanda @ Serenity Now July 11, 2011 at 7:57 am

How charming! I haven’t seen the movie (heard it was sad, and I get all misty with sad stuff), but our local *nice* theatre is showing it this month as one of the kids’ $2 movies!

Lesley @ The Design File July 11, 2011 at 8:21 am

I love it and totally agree with you that we should all live in more colorful homes. They ARE cheery and it would be especially fun in the suburbs where homes look so similar.

I can’t wait to see the inside of this home. I’m sure someone will take you up on your offer to take photos or the local paper or someone will do a great photo slideshow on it.

Thanks Julia for another great post.

Nita{ModVintageLife} July 11, 2011 at 8:27 am

Darling! I love that movie so much. It makes me cry and cry. I’d live in that house.

Lynette July 11, 2011 at 8:40 am

I live right by Salt Lake! I want to go to the parade of homes and if I do I will definitely take pictures of this house and send them to you!

hookedonhouses July 11, 2011 at 9:10 am

Yay!!

Luciane at Homebunch.com July 11, 2011 at 8:43 am

I need to show this one to my kids!!!! This is so adorable! Love it, love it! :-)

Wishing you a blessed week!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Kristen @ More Than Mulberries July 11, 2011 at 8:49 am

Just your luck Julia! This house is being built within miles of me….I haven’t made plans to go to the parade of homes yet (we are year round school so I am still busy trying to do all things summer in the next 2 weeks for me kids!) But I’ll see about getting a ticket so I can go take pictures just.for.you!!!! :)

hookedonhouses July 11, 2011 at 9:10 am

I knew I could count on you guys! I’d love to see anything you get! :-)

etta July 11, 2011 at 8:50 am

I can’t believe it! It’s amazing… I love the movie “UP”, my little son love it so much we had his birthday party themed UP few days ago!! You can see it here http://maison-etta.blogspot.com/2011/06/up-birthday-party.html

big kiss
Etta

hookedonhouses July 11, 2011 at 9:38 am

How fun! I love the cake and how you put balloons over the little playhouse. Thanks for sharing the photos, Etta! :-)

Jill July 11, 2011 at 9:33 am

What a charming house–I love the details and the cheerful colors! I wish I lived out there and could see it in person.

Jill July 11, 2011 at 9:45 am

I’m going to the Salt Lake Parade of Homes, so I’ll make sure to get good pictures!

Kelly, The Brave New Home July 11, 2011 at 10:08 am

Thanks for sharing, Julia! I love the happiness of the exterior, as well. Wish more homes would explore less serious color options. :)

Chrissy July 11, 2011 at 10:08 am

Okay, that is just TOO COOL! Love it! Hope all your readers can send you lots of pics!!!! I’d love to see the inside w/ furniture, especially their his/her chairs.

Andrea Worley July 11, 2011 at 11:01 am

How awesome!! I just love that movie, it has such a great message!

Carolyn July 11, 2011 at 11:08 am

I’ll get my ticket very soon! It’s the closest thing to an English cottage in arid Utah! And the colors can’t help but cheer one “up”!

Maaike Quinn @ Life with FlyLady July 11, 2011 at 11:14 am

Huh, seriously? I like the fact that they did it, because it’s odd + strange + fun, but boy, this house would be way too bright and happy for me.

EmilyC July 11, 2011 at 11:38 am

Oh fantastic! I watched this movie with my kids and fell in love with that little house! I can’t wait to see the inside!

Bre July 11, 2011 at 12:45 pm

How fun is this house?! Such a great and cool idea, and a cheery, vibrant house to recreate from film. I have never seen UP! I was told it was sweetly sad, and as such I haven’t seen it. Disney movies are known to make me cry (Bambi anyone?) but this house is decidedly cheerful! Thanks for sharing Julia!

Teacup Lane July 11, 2011 at 12:51 pm

My Hubby and I love this movie! What fun to receate the home. I wish we lived close so we could tour it. I sure hope someone does and shares it with you so we can see the inside. You find the most wonderful things.

Kristi F July 11, 2011 at 12:57 pm

That is just incredibly sweet! I would love to live there.

Miss Charming July 11, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I love that they recreated the movie house. It would be great to see it in person. (Whomever ends up living there will probably always have fans of the movie knocking on their door wanting to see the inside.) I look forward to seeing the interior pictures!

hookedonhouses July 11, 2011 at 3:28 pm

You’re right–I’m sure there will be a lot of uninvited guests in their future!

Kim July 11, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I’ve seen “Up” more than once and it is a great movie and one of the best pixar movies. How fun that they created the house from the movie! I can’t wait to see pictures of it.

Anne @strawberryjampackedlife July 11, 2011 at 2:45 pm

LOVE IT! Such a great movie. If you’re into colorful houses, check out the Columbia Tusculum area of Cincinnati. It’s full of brightly colored Victorians.

hookedonhouses July 11, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I love Columbia Tusculum! I grew up near there, actually. The houses really are colorful and fun to look at. Thanks for the link, Anne! :-)

Brian July 11, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I have watched this movie w/ my nephew more times than I can count, I would love to take him their. I’m also amazed at what a detailed job the builder did. If you are building a home, you would want a builder with OCD (or atleast I would) and it looks like this guy has it.

Brian July 11, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Zoning may not allow this, but wouldn’t it make a great daycare?

polly dove July 11, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Wow Julia! Too adorable! I live just about 15 minutes from that house and I don’t even know if I would have made the effort without your post … YAY! Now I will for sure go. I think we can all try to take pictures, but sometimes in these homes (during the parade) there are signs that say no photos … maybe with cell phones the way they are they know peeps will do it anyway. I’ll try to get some good ones for you!

hookedonhouses July 11, 2011 at 3:26 pm

That’s a good point–they don’t always allow photos. Crossing my fingers that they will this time! :-)

Shauna July 13, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I actually think they would, since they’re trying to sell it, it’s free and easy advertisement!! But I live no where around there (Tulsa, OK), nor have I ever been to a parade of homes (though I’ve always wanted to)!!

anna see July 11, 2011 at 3:52 pm

That is so neat! I’m going to show this to my kids.

Laura B. July 11, 2011 at 5:26 pm

How cool! It’s also cool that scientists tested the physics of actually lifting a house with balloons and it works! Check it out: http://www.constructionweekonline.com/article-11267-in-video-up-and-away–balloons-lift-house/

hookedonhouses July 11, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I love that they actually tested it out–and it worked. Too funny. Thanks for the link, Laura!

Jenny Allworthy July 11, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Awww….too cute! The new owners will have to have a dog too. Squirrel!!!!!

Mary July 11, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I like those colors. I found a coloring book I used 50 years ago, with a “Twas the Night Before Christmas” theme. No red/green there.. it was all the candy/pastel shades of the little UP house!

anh July 12, 2011 at 9:58 am

how cute!!!

Heather July 12, 2011 at 11:27 am

I am so glad to know that I was not the only one who teared up during the beginning of this film. I was so glad I was watching it at home with my daughter, because I literally burst out into a sob… it was so precious!

Noelle July 12, 2011 at 11:31 am

My 10 year daughter, Joelle ,says “Sweet”! and that is the “awesome kind of sweet!” Very fun!!

Janice Mahon July 12, 2011 at 11:57 am

This is just wonderful. The movie was spectacular. I read somewhere that Ed Asner, who voiced Carl, wasn’t too happy about how he was physically portrayed in the movie. Well, Ed Asner is an old curmudgeon just like Carl. You gotta love them both! Thanks for posting.

Realenvest July 12, 2011 at 12:42 pm

So Great! Thanks for posting all the details and photos. They did a great job.

Shannon July 12, 2011 at 2:22 pm

That’s not too far from me! I’d love to take some pictures from the Parade of Homes and share them with you!

Andreanna Ahn July 13, 2011 at 1:36 am

Wow~ That’s toally awesome!!
Thanks for sharing~~ ^^

jazlyn July 13, 2011 at 9:06 am

So cool!

Amy July 13, 2011 at 11:43 am

This house is beyond adorable. I love that they stayed true to so many details from the movie. Those colors! And the murals are so cute.

Vanessa July 13, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I want it!

Shauna July 13, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I LOVE it!! I actually saw this on AOL, thought “hmmm, I wonder…,” and low and behold, your link is the one imbedded in their article!! Now I definitely know (not that I ever doubted!!) you’re on top of your game!! I’ve never posted before (I don’t think, that is!), but I couldn’t resist on this one. I’ve never, even as a kid, been a fan of cartoons or anything animated (I know, sad, right?!), but I’ve started to over the past 3+ years, especially since all the D/P movies are so great. UP was one of my favorite movies, likely due to the love story (a genre which I’m a HUGE fan of!!) that starts in the beginning and is woven throughout the entire film. Also, I loved the bird, and that was before they started calling “him” Kevin, which is my husband’s name!! The movie really felt similar to our relationship, and as both of us are nursing students, we both felt really connected to the relationships the characters had, the constant draining of funds for rainy days (we were married in Jamaica in 2005 and started school a month before our 1 year anniversary in 2006, we’ve been trying to save up and it’s never happened!), and understanding that life is short (we deal with death, or the possibility of death, every day). Sorry this is so long, I just wanted to say that I loved Up, I love love LOVE your website (seriously, LOVE; I’m a big fan of homes, we rent an apartment, but what’s kept my sanity over the past 2+ years of nursing school is that my “stress reliever” has been planning our dream house in my spare time (using websites like http://www.eplans.com and http://www.floorplanner.com, and yours now too (I’ve only known about HOH for a few months, and I could spend all my waking moments getting caught up!!))). Thanks for posting this, I’m on hubby’s computer, but I’m soon going to hop over to mine and post this to FB. Love your blog, keep it up, PLEASE!! Hope you’re having a beautiful week!!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... July 13, 2011 at 8:50 pm

OMG it’s so cute. Can I move in?

geisslein July 14, 2011 at 6:23 am

me too, me too! I have fallen in love now!!!!! Hope to see some more pictures from inside, when it´s ready! sunny greetings from germany, geisslein

Sariah July 15, 2011 at 12:46 pm

My sister in law works for Bangerter homes and was the person who designed the floor plan for the “Up” house. She took us on a little private tour while it was mid-construction and it was great seeing how livable the house is. It’s a great combination of the sweet house from the movie meeting modern construction. A few extra details, that seem rather ironic compared to how I’m sure we all picture the movie version of the house, include a theater room in the basement (in which they’ll be playing the movie during the Parade of Homes) and two full sized laundry rooms – one upstairs and one in the basement. They’ll also have a member of the Bangerter family dressed up as Carl sitting in his chair during at least part of the tours too, which I thought was a great idea.

The only sad part is that the city is requiring them to re-paint it “normal” colors and to take out the picket fence after the tours are over. :(

hookedonhouses July 15, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Seriously? They’re making them repaint it? AND take the picket fence out?! That IS sad. :(

Arian July 18, 2011 at 2:18 am

How much dose it cost ?

L July 19, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I just had to share. One of my favorite local photography studios just did the cutest shoot there. Complete with a mini Carl and Ellie! It’s just so dang cute!
Here is the link:

Educational Toys Online July 22, 2011 at 6:19 am

Oh my, I love this. Loved the movie (as did my kids) and would love to live here. I wonder if Disney can copyright a house lol!

Content Writer July 23, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Awesome. Would love to own this! My son loves this film!

Amy from China Shepherdess August 1, 2011 at 12:21 am

Aww, I teared up just seeing this. What an amazing home. Wish it could be mine.

mon August 2, 2011 at 12:26 am

I loved reading this article, up to the point where I saw that the house was 2, 800 sq. ft. Sorry, but to me that just defeats the whole purpose of recreating the house with all its details… Love the colors, and windows, and porch. But why supersize everything these days? *sigh*

Shellyce August 3, 2011 at 1:36 am

just a quick note, the website is KSL not KLS (that one is not a good one)

hookedonhouses August 3, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Thanks for catching that typo, Shellyce! I corrected it.

Cassandra August 3, 2011 at 11:45 am

I drove past it last week and took some photos. It is so cute, my heart went pitter patter.

BreAnn August 3, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I love your posts! This house is amazing. I visited it this morning, and posted some pictures to our blog. http://blog.contempotile.com/2011/08/03/salt-lake-parade-of-homes-2011/

jane August 7, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Uhm, you guys didnt match EVERYTHING exactly as the movie, the roof is hardly the same. How disappointing.

Disney Diva August 11, 2011 at 6:27 am

Absolutely Adorable! I would so live in this house!!!

Emily Miskin August 14, 2011 at 11:45 am

I have pictures of the UP house, where do I send them to you?!! It’s amazing inside- when you walk in it truly feels like you’re in the movie!

Emily Miskin August 14, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I e-mailed you a lot of links/videos/ and pictures of the UP house. I hope you enjoy them!

hookedonhouses August 19, 2011 at 10:25 am

Yay! I’ll be posting them soon for everyone to see. Thanks, Emily!

Shan August 15, 2011 at 1:10 pm

We just saw this house during the Parade of Homes. You would love the kitchen. It’s retro and turquoise!

Natalie August 16, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I saw it on the 2nd to last day it was open for tours and it was so adorable! I felt like a little kid cause half a block down my cousin and I got free ice cream and cotton candy. I asked one of the Bangerter brothers who was there for questions if the house is being repainted and…he said no! :) The city loved it so much they said everything could stay! Also he said that Disney loved the floorplans etc they bought all the rights to it so if anyone wants to build another Up house they’ll have to go through Disney. :) Yay for happy cute homes!

Tim August 25, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I just saw an item for this house on the news… enchanting! The concept goes hand-in-hand with Mark Bennett’s book of his fantasy blueprints for famous TV family homes, “TV Sets.” People have a fascination with this sort of lighthearted fun! Along with Cleveland’s “‘Christmas Story’ House” and Iowa’s “‘Field of Dreams’ ball field,” this could become a fine tourist attraction. Since Disney has the rights and blueprints, however, maybe they want to build their own version in their parks! It sure brings a smile… :-)

{ 21 trackbacks }