The Braverman Family Homes on “Parenthood”

The only reason I originally tuned in to see “Parenthood” at first was because of Lauren Graham. As a huge “Gilmore Girls” fan, I was just excited to see her on TV again. But as soon as I got a look at the houses that these families live in, I was hooked for a whole other reason.

The drama, which is a remake/update of the 1989 Steve Martin movie, follows the extended Braverman family in Berkeley, California, headed up by parents Zeek and Camille. Let’s start by taking a look at the house they live in.

Zeek & Camille’s House

Set decorator Julieann Getman says, “Zeek and Camille have lived in this house for 30 years, filled it with heirlooms and haven’t redecorated much. It’s well worn and comfortable.”

Peter Krause and Lauren Graham, who play brother and sister on the show, are reportedly dating in real life.

I’m crazy about the windows in their house.

Many heart-to-hearts take place in their kitchen around the big, butcher-block island:

Parenthood TV show-Zeek & Camille's kitchen

Craig T. Nelson plays Zeek Braverman (and it really bugs me that it isn’t spelled Zeke). He was reportedly offered the role of Jay on “Modern Family,” but chose to do “Parenthood” instead.

Bonnie Bedelia plays the family matriarch, Camille. A lot of us remember her as Holly McClane in Die Hard.

The paneled kitchen cabinets are painted “Calke Green” (Farrow & Ball), and the walls are Benjamin Moore’s Rockport Gray.

Julia and Joel’s House:

Parenthood set

Zeek and Camille’s daughter Julia (Erika Christensen) is a successful attorney who lives in a more contemporary home with her stay-at-home husband Joel and their cutie-pie daughter Sydney.

“We wanted to reflect her taste in art and Midcentury Modernism and her ability to purchase it,” Getman says.

I love the little red kitchen set in front of the island for Sydney to play with:

Crosby’s Boat:

Adam and Kristina’s Craftsman:

Adam (Peter Krause) and Kristina (Monica Potter) Braverman live in a house that’s reportedly based on a real Craftsman in Pasadena.

“Their style is Pottery Barn, right off the shelf,” set decorator Getman says.

The kitchen is painted in Benjamin Moore’s Saybrook Sage. The black and white-checkered floor is fun. I had a checkered floor in my first kitchen and there’s something about it that makes a kitchen feel homey and cheerful.

The sofa and chaise sectional in the family area of the great room were custom made for the set:

Adam and Kristina's Craftsman-Parenthood

Getman says she strives for realism rather than perfection when decorating sets: “It’s much more what people can truly afford as opposed to what they see in magazines.”

A set photo looking from the kitchen into the dining and family room areas:

The red display cabinet in the dining room is Crate & Barrel’s Rojo Cabinet.

Adam and Kristina’s bedroom is painted Van Courtland Blue from the Benjamin Moore Historical Collection. The headboard and bench were custom made. The rug, nightstands and dresser are from Pottery Barn. (More set information in the LA Times.)

Parenthood TV show set-Adam Kristina's bedrm

Are you hooked on the houses from “Parenthood” like I am? Which is your favorite?

Julia-simple-teal-signature2

P.S. Visit Houses Onscreen to see more, including…

Gilmore Girls houses

Brothers and Sisters TV Show Nora Walker's House

Modern Family TV Show Houses and Set Design

Marley-and-Me-house-for-sale-Chadds-Ford-PA cover 500
Who could forget John and Jenny Grogan's beautiful stone house in the 2008 family drama Marley & Me? It was one of the highlights of…
Have you seen this year's HGTV Green Home in Denver, Colorado? It was "inspired by the architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright, combined with subtle nods…

Comments

I love this show! It’s one of my faves, yes it totally made me cry.

I also love these houses!!

Favorite show. LOVE the craftsman house… about to build and was hoping you could find out the exact material of their checkerboard floor. 😉 ?? Thanks.

• hookedonhouses says

It looks like vinyl flooring to me. Does anyone know for sure?

I am a HUGE fan of this show!! I watched the finale twice and cried both times!! I love the way their homes reflect the owners personality and look so lived in and real. Thanks so much for featuring them!

Thanks for this post, Julia! LOVE the Bravermans and their homes!
    The red cabinet in Adam and Kristina’s dining room is Garrett from Pottery Barn. But those cane-sided, leather-seated chairs in their living room are Crate and Barrel’s gorgeous Blake chairs, as are a few other items I spy, so apparently they’ve ventured beyond PB from time to time. 😉

5. ljb says

I love it too. And I am the Gilmore Girl fan. In fact you got me involved in the GG tapes. I bought the whole set after you talked about it. I think there will be a big uproar if Parenthood is not renewed.

Like you, I tuned in because of my love for the Gilmore Girls! Hope this show is renewed…love it. I’ve been fascinated by the homes on the show, too, so thanks for the tour!

7. Jane says

I haven’t seen this show, but I love the sets. Might have to check it out. I’m with you, love the diamond paned windows.

Oh My Goodness!! This is truly my absolute favorite show. I never ever miss it. I’m so happy that you did a post on ALL the houses. I LOVE all the houses on the show, but I could live in Adam & Kristina’s house. I think that Zeek & Camille’s house is beyond amazing and their entire property makes me swoon. When they do those night-time dining with the lights in the yard, be still my heart. Julia & Joel’s house is a bit too contemporary/modern for me, but there is definitely something sweet about it. I have a feeling that Crosby’s new house is going to be delightfully warm, cozy and real too.
    This is definitely one of my all-time favorite blog posts !!

9. Pam Beck says

Julia, I love your blog! Thank you so much for all of the wonderful and interesting information that you provide for us. I just love reading it and looking at the pictures. I wish I had become a set designer. That would have been something I would have loved to do. I am a decorating fanatic and always have been and always will be for as long as I can do it. I have never watched Parenthood but I know I would have loved it because I love Lauren Graham and some of the other actors and actresses in the show. I hope they renew it so I can watch it perhaps there will be reruns this summer I can watch. Thank you again for your wonderful blog. I wish you were a next door neighbor and we could get together in real life. Have a great week.

10. Susannah says

I am SO glad that you did a post on Parenthood! This is my ABSOLUTE favorite show ever!! I LOVE Adam and Kristina’s house, it’s my favorite on the show! Thanks for the facts and tidbits you add along the way. I will be SUPER mad if they do not renew this wonderful family show!!!!

Good morning, Julia!

I don’t watch the show but after seeing these beautiful houses and reading more about the show, I feel like getting to know better.

Did you have a nice Easter? I hope you have a great time with your family.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

My husband and I love this show. I also tuned in to see Lauren Graham post-Gilmore Girls as well as Peter Krause who we loved from Six Feet Under. I have continually commented on how wonderful all the houses are and they really are one of the great joys of watching the show. My husband favors Crosby’s house boat (even though I think his new home purchase is going to turn our very nicely) while I adore Adam and Kristina’s home – it is so warm, full of color and inviting! Of course, after reading your post I realize that it also speaks to my love of Pottery Barn!

Love your blog, keep it up!

13. Gabbie says

Yay!!! I was hoping you’d feature these houses at some point. You can only just slightly see it from the screen shot but Adam and Kristina’s master bathroom is also very retro cool. It has mint green tile with black accents and a pink sink. Fabulous.

I rarely care if a show gets cancelled, but Parenthood is perhaps the finest drama to come along in years. The casting for the show is superb. The lived in look of the homes is one of my favorite aspects. I’m rooting for it’s return.

15. Ami says

thanks for finally doing a post on the Parenthood houses!!!! 😉

I can’t believe it might not get picked up next year… I don’t understand why more people aren’t watching this show, it’s my favorite on tv right now!!

I love this show. I was hoping you would do a post on it. I love all the homes in the show, but Zeek (bugs me too) and Camille’s house is my favorite, the others are nice, but predictable. Zeek and Camille’s home fits the characters, you can totally feel that they have lived there for 30 years and that it’s the whole families go to spot.

Thanks Julia.

Love that show!!
    Thanks for the tour!!
    Loved it!!
    I hope the show gets picked up for another season!!
    Have a great week,
    Rosemary

I watch this show but I am indifferent to it’s future.

I love Julia’s house though. The rest of them are a little too cluttered for my taste.

Love love love this show. I hope they get renewed. So glad you did this post, it’s got such amazing sets.
    Can’t wait to see what happens to Crosby and his house.

I love this show, especially because the scenery/sets are so great to look at. My ab. fav. is the outdoor dining area shown in the opening credits!

Not a fan of the show. I had to snicker about the comment that their style was “pottery Barn right off the shelf” because that describes a homeowner that would paint interior woodwork on a craftsman white throughout. But, I’m a bungalow purist.

22. Cindy says

Love this show, but my life is crazy lately that I don’t get a chance to watch anymore, so thanks for the post with so many great pics!

Probably my favorite ‘room’ is the outdoor eating grotto at the Zeek (detest this spelling) and Camille’s house. I love the strings of lights and the stone walls. Such a great outdoor space!

Cindy

• Cindy says

OK, sorry for all they typos/misplaced words. That’s what happens when a 4 year old wants to ‘help’ mommy type while the jealous puppy tries to join the fun, too. LOL

I love this show! And I love all the sets! Keeping my fingers crossed for next season.:)

24. T. says

The only reason I gave this show a glimpse was because of Lauren Graham, and I was quickly hooked. I love how it speaks to several generations and phases of life. Julia’s home is not for me (in fact, her lifestyle/storyline is my least favorite to follow), but I would take Zeek and Camille’s or Adam and Kristina’s houses in a heartbeat.

25. Karen says

Ooh, I love the sets of this show! Thank you so much for covering it!

I have to say, everything still looks a little too new and matchy-matchy in those sets. They’re gorgeous, but they’re also clearly a little pricey and I have a hard time believing that families with small children could afford to have such nice things (and keep them looking in good shape). As pointlessly destructive as it is, I wish set designers would go through their finished sets with some dirt, a hammer and sandpaper to roughen up some corners and walls and such. It would look more realistic (and less distracting!).

Thanks Julia!

I’ve been hoping to see these the houses from this show on your blog! I started watching the show because of Lauren Graham too. Now I never miss an episode. I’m going to miss Crobsy’s boat though. I just love the color and feel of it.

I LOVE THE SHOW.
    I was so excited to see you do this post.
    “Pottery Barn right off the shelf”…I wish that was affordable living for me!

SUCH a fan of this show and I will be so disappointed it if is not renewed!!! I love their houses too! Especially Zeek and Camile’s and Adam and Kristina’s!

Thanks for sharing this and I am praying for another season!!

Lou Cinda :)

I love Bonnie Bedelia’s hair!!

I loved the film, so I tuned into the show (I really like Peter Krause), but I just couldn’t get into it. Maybe it was b/c it aired during a time with a lot of new shows and I felt like I was watching too much TV? I really, really like Adam and Kristina’s Craftsman! The decor is so homey and realistic, without being cluttered! Great post, Julia!!

30. Holly says

I love this show. I set it up to DVR when it first came out for the same reason as you – Lauren Graham and loving her on Gilmore Girls. But I watched one episode and it was just weird watching her as someone else. I never deleted the auto record though, so about 3 weeks ago I started watching the 20-something episdoes that had recorded. I fell in love with it!

I did cry at the finale! I hope it comes back on. Adam and Kristina’s house is my favorite!

This is my favorite show, too. I think the storylines and the acting are top-notch. These actors, including all the kids, make you believe this is their real life. I also love the emphasis on family love, loyalty and support. The set decor is just the icing on the cake. Wouldn’t it be great if everyone had a big brother like Adam?

Great post! I’ve never watched the show before but I’m told its hilarious! The set interiors are certainly pretty fantastic, I love Craftsman houses, big porches, and large dining room tables. I love Craig T. Nelson, adored him in The Family Stone, it’s hard to picture him as Jay on Modern Family! These houses are great, I particularly love the Pottery Barn style home (go figure). I’ll have to add Parenthood to my list of must watch on Hulu, along with Happy Endings. Have you watched it yet Julia?

I love this show! And I so love that during the finale, the set designer had a few spotlight moments to showcase each house at the commercial break. I bet you liked that part!

34. Brenda says

I too, watched this show from the beginning because of ” The Gilmore Girls” , and will be very disappointed if it not renewed. I love Camille and Zeeks ‘ house the best, it is just so homey. The whole property is to die for.

LOVE this show and all the houses!!!!! I really hope they pick the show up for next year, I look forward to it every week.
    I think I like the Zeek and Camille’s house the very best, because it really does look like a Berkeley house. I live minutes from Berkeley, and that one is the one that looks the most like the area. Adam and Christina’s house looks a bit too much like southern Cal to me.
    I’m new to your blog, and I must say, it is a whole lot of fun!! Look forward to coming back for more fun.

I have not been watching. But I have clearly missed some great houses and decor. I don’t know how realistic the set designer really is. I think it’s funny that she says their style (in the craftsman) is straight off the shelf PB, but then had several pieces custom made for their rooms. I think she’s kidding herself on the whole affordability mantra that she’s singing.

37. Melissa says

Well, that explains (and it really does) why I never watched this show…I Hate Lauren Graham, and Gilmore Girls. What a fake! Too bad, ’cause the scene sets are so homey.

• Corinna says

I’ve gotten to meet her, and she was definitely the opposite of fake. It’s a shame you have so much hate – that is never a good thing. Lauren is an extremely talented actress and a genuinely good person.

38. Nita says

I do love the show so that must mean it won’t be renewed. I love the first house, mainly the outdoors! It is a gorgeous setting.

39. Nita says

Oh, yes, they always say “affordable” just like Country Living will have a $5000 dining table or a $250 pillow for sale on their pages they say are bargains. I really know that these people live in another world from most of us and have NO idea that alot of us are buying even decorating stuff at the dollar store in this economy.

40. Claire says

I couldn’t get into this one, I don’t know what it was. And I adore Gilmore Girls!

If American Dreams is ever released on DVD you should watch it – it was a great show that highlighted the 60’s (which, yes, has been done to death, but it was so good!). Only season 1 was ever released and it’s such a shame. I still talk about it with my dad!

41. kthnxbye says

In the Bay Area, the reality is that in real life all the young single characters would have to have roommates, not live on boats! 😉

42. pmm says

I love, love, love this show. I also started watching because of my fondness for Lauren Graham in the Gilmore Girls, which I still watch religiously. Thanks for posting all the great photos of the homes in the show. You’re the best.

I love Zeek and Camille’s kitchen, especially the contrast with those lovely curtains – fun!
    Mary

Ok we must be long lost relatives. Did a very similar post on my blog last week or so. I love their homes and would gladly move to any of them even if they are sets I am completely ok with that!

Ahh, love the show, and balled like a baby! But so so glad you featured the houses, I just came to your blog like a week ago and did a search for them! Haha. Can you feature Joel & Julias yard though? Please!! I love it and really wanna see and learn more :). Thanks!!

Hello,

We also love this show and also because Gilmore girl is int it. Also love Peter Krause since Six Feet Under. Both great shows. Thank you for sharing these homes. Love all of them. I especially love Adam and Kristina’s bedroom. Love the accessories in their home.
    Great post! Always enjoy reading your blog…..take care. Claudia

47. Kim says

I have seen two episodes of this show, but I don’t care to watch it again. Not sure why, but something turned me off.

My favorite sets out of all of them has to be the the craftsman styled home. I would love to live in a house like that. A close second is Zeek & Camille’s House.

Thanks for sharing this with us Julia! I hope you had a good Easter.

I definitely like Adam and Kristina’s house the most. Great post as I’m always looking at the backgrounds on this show. I have to admit I stopped watching it though. I missed a week and just never caught back up because things were to hectic. Now might be a good time to do so!

49. handbright says

This decorator has demonstrated pure genius by creating real personalities in these homes. They seem to be part of the cast! From the fairy lights in the yard to the porch and the kitchen in Zeek and Camille’s home, it looks like the home of an artist, filled with quirky “stuff”. I love Crosby’s boat too, it will be fun to watch the new house he has bought come to life… I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it gets picked up for next season.

50. Karen says

I have to admit that this show took awhile for me to warm to – but I enjoy the acting so much! I agree that the ‘teenager’ Hattie is tough to buy as a teenager – and what is up with her hairdo? It’s like something out of the 40s . . . and I really dislike Crosby’s girlfriend (I felt he had way more chemistry with the girl he had a fling with!) AND her mother!! It’s too bad that Craig T. Nelson and Bonnie Bedelia don’t have more to do. Oh! And I LOVED seeing Richard Dreyfuss also:) The houses are all nice . . some a little too ‘decoratey’

Luv the show! So many real moments. Luv the home spaces as well. Sure hope it comes back next season! I wanna know either what fabric or where they sourced the euro shams from Adam & Christina’s bed. Anyone have a clue?

Love this show, mostly b/c of the sets (LOL, I’ll admit it.) Ugh, that name is spelled “Zeek?” that’s weird. Anyway, I love “Zeek” and Camille’s house, and LOVE Adam and Kristina’s house the most. I was SO bummed that the season is over (already?!?!) and I really, really hope it comes back, b/c there hasn’t been a good family drama show in way too long (in my opinion.)

Also, I must be missing out, b/c I’ve read & heard so much over the years about the Gilmore Girls, yet I’ve never seen it. How did I miss that show… I’ll have to go look it up, and maybe watch it online (or netflix).

I totally love this show!! I will be so sad if it isn’t picked up. I need Parenthood to make my life feel normal. :)

Oh, and yes, I was totally crying before the opening credits. And, I cried at the end, knowing I had to go all summer before seeing my friends again. *fingers crossed*

54. Laura says

I totally love this show , especially Z&C’s house – love love love love love it :)

Oh my word. I couldn’t agree more with everything you said! I NEVER buy Hadie as a teenager. She looks 27. Zeek should totally be spelled as Zeke, and it kind of freaks me out that those two are dating..they’re so convincing as brother and sister on the show! It’d SO better be up for RENEWAL! I will DIE if not. I balled my eyes out. LOVE this post.

56. Samuel Yeh says

The house that Adam and Kristina live in is based off of 1956 La France Ave., South Pasadena, CA 91030. The real house is used for the exterior shots, and a set is used for the interior shots.

This is one of my favorite shows! I started watching it because of Lauren Graham from Gilmore Girls. But as the season progress, the show pulled me in and got better and better. I really hope there will be more seasons!

58. Linda says

I loved this show from day one..also a GG fan! it is so realistic yes teenagers do have sex and take drugs etc. hope we get another season!

59. Lisa says

Thank you for the great post. Do you know where Adam and Kristina’s dining room light if from?

Thanks,
    Lisa

60. Corinna says

I absolutely adore this show. It is truly one of the most poignant series on television right now with the most beautiful performances. I am very excited for season 3. The houses and set decor are so warm and lovely. Lauren Graham is so very talented – certainly the top in the business and she never fails to move me in this show. I was fortunate enough to meet her in real life and she was absolutely lovely – very genuine and gracious. The experience made me admire her even more. Peter Krause also gives stellar performances each week. Really, the entire cast delivers consistently.

61. karen says

I love the decorating on Parenthood! Where did the tall bottles that are lined up in Julia’s kitchen come from?

• jennifer says

Ditto! I have been searching for an hour trying to find it or information about it. Thanks internet, for simply bringing me closer to other quilt lovers instead of their makers :)

62. Allison says

Does anyone know where Sarah’s comforter/duvet cover are from. It’s dark gray with white flowers (loved it paired with the bright teal sheets).

63. Ally Edward-Pitts says

Your website is genius!!!! I thought I was the only one obsessed with the Parenthood houses…or all houses for that matter! Love! Thank you for this!!!

so funny that you mention the “fixer upper” home for crosby – their casting director called me about a lease listing i had to see if the owners would be willing to lease their home to the production for a few months!

65. Sarah says

Hi, everyone! I LOVE this show (it is probably my favorite show EVER!!!) Acorrding to families, I like Adam and Kristina’s the best. I love the actor that plays Haddie (Sarah Ramos), and Max is SO adorable! My daughter, Anna, LOVES Haddie (she is her favorite character on the show). Sarah Ramos is her favorite actor, and Anna looks up to her SO much!! I like Kristina the best. I think she is a really good mom- I think she is very protective of her kids, and she is really good with Max and his disability. I also like their house the most, too. I think it is really colorfull and cheerfull as well. I also have the same red garnett cabinet in my dining room as well (A lot of our home furniture is from Pottery Barn as well, and the furniture in our kids rooms are from Pottery Barn Kids and Pottery Barn Teen.)

66. Natalie says

I love Adam and Kristinas home and have had my eye on those red bar stools for a very long time. Does anyone know where they come from? Im in Australia and havent been able to find anything like them here. Were they painted that colour or…?

67. Dawn says

I LOVE this website… Parenthood is one of my most favorite shows and i love all the houses on it. It is filmed on a soundstage, correct.

68. Stephanie says

The best show on tv by far!
    Zeek & Camille’s house is spectacular!

69. Suzanne says

Does anyone know where an image of Haddie’s room (specifically her bed/headboard) can be found??

70. Debbie says

I’m looking for the cow painting in the foyer… Anyone know who the artist is?

71. Phil says

Are there any interior photos from the movie “Parenthood” with Steve Martin?

72. Caroline says

Hello, everyone! I LOVE Haddie’s bedroom and bedding, and I wanted to know where her bed and bedding is from- does anybody know? I also wanted to know if you could do a blog on all of the Parenthood kids’ bedrooms- you certainly see Haddie’s bedroom enough to do one on hers! Thanks!

• ashlea says

love hattie’s room too. Her headboard really looks like west elm. all i can tell….

73. ashlea says

ugh. this was such an awesome show. love love love every house!!!!!! Thanks for all the info!

74. Molly says

What is the bathroom color in Adam & Kristina’s house? My bathroom has the same tile and have been struggling to find a paint color, theirs is perfect!

• says

Sorry, but tracking down paint colors from TV shows and movies is pretty tough. They’re usually custom-mixed to look good under the lights.