The Blue Craftsman Bungalow in “You, Me and Dupree”

You Me and Dupree movie Blue Craftsman

The 2006 comedy You, Me and Dupree stars Matt Dillon and Kate Hudson as newlyweds who return home from their wedding in Hawaii to their beautiful blue Craftsman bungalow…and an unwanted house guest. Owen Wilson plays Dillon’s wacky childhood friend Dupree who needs a place to crash. Add to the mix Dillon’s manipulative new father-in-law (Michael Douglas), and comedic chaos ensues.

Owen Wilson on porch of You Me and Dupree Craftsman

According to IMDb, “The interior shots of Molly and Carl’s house are filmed on the set of Hope and Michael Steadman’s house from thirtysomething (1987). The exterior is the house used at the end of 13 Going on 30 (2004), where it is pink.”

I’m not sure I believe it, though. Here’s the 13 Going on 30 house:

pink house from 13 going on 30

The roof lines and windows just don’t match up, so unless they did some extensive remodeling work on the house, they seem to be different. The interior floor plan is different than the house on “thirtysomething,” too, but since they were sets on a soundstage, they could have been reworked for You, Me and Dupree.

UPDATE: Lindsay of Iamnotastalker tracked down the You, Me and Dupree house in the historic West Adams district of L.A. and reports that it is definitely not the same house as the one in 13 Going on 30.  You can see her post about it here and about the 13 Going on 30 house (which is no longer pink) here. Thanks, Lindsay!

You Me & Dupree blue Craftsman front door

When Carl and Molly arrive home from their honeymoon, there are piles of gifts in their living room:

You Me Dupree-LR 1

“We tried to make Carl and Molly’s world sort of warm and accessible and you’ll see that in the choice of their house,” say Directors Joe and Anthony Russo. “It’s an older home, modest in scale, and the neighborhood feels like it’s been there awhile.”

Matt Dillon-Owen Wilson-still

That moose head that Dupree brings with him when he moves in was actually a deer head “repurposed” to look like a moose. A moose head would have been too big for him to carry around. You can see it propped in the corner below the stairs:

You Me Dupree-LR 2

The front of the house has two “living rooms” with fireplaces that face each other from opposite walls. Here’s the one to the left of the front door:

You Me Dupree-LR 7

And here’s the fireplace to the right of the front door:

You Me Dupree-LR 6

Love those windows, and the tile on the fireplace:

You Me Dupree-LR 3

In the commentary, the filmmakers mention that they shot this view of the street from inside the real house because they wanted to capture the look you can only get through old glass:

You Me Dupree-LR window

The actual house had a totally different floor plan than the set’s version, however.

You Me Dupree-LR 5

After Dupree sets the living room on fire, we get a look at it while it’s empty:

You Me Dupree-LR after fire 2

After they get new furniture, it looks like this:

You Me Dupree-LR after fire

They wanted Carl and Molly’s house to look believable as a first home for a young couple, but it also had to reflect the fact that Molly had grown up wealthy and was used to living a life of luxury where everything was well decorated and put together.

You Me and Dupree Craftsman dining room

The movie featured actors Seth Rogen and Bill Hader in small roles as two of Carl’s buddies. I had forgotten they were in this. In 2006 they were both still fairly unknown. Rogen would star in “Knocked Up” in ’07, and at the time of filming, Hader was in his first year on SNL.

dining room 1

The dining room has a window seat:

dining room 3

kitchen 1

kitchen 2

kitchen 3

kitchen 4

In this shot you can see the checkerboard floor:

kitchen 5

Craftsman Bedroom 1

I’m not sure about the odd window treatment over the bed:

Craftsman Bedroom 3

Craftsman Bedroom 4

Craftsman Bedroom 5

In one of the deleted scenes on the DVD we get a look at the upstairs landing that isn’t seen in the movie:

upstairs loft-deleted scenes

Owen Wilson says he based the character of Dupree on a dog he used to have. That explains a lot, doesn’t it? 😉

You Me and Dupree blue Craftsman Owen Wilson

Craftsman-style houses like this are so popular in the movies that it makes me wonder why more builders aren’t taking note and trying to recreate some of the classic home styles that may be small on square footage but are big on charm and character. I’d take one of these over a sprawling McMansion any day!

Julia-simple-teal-signature2

P.S. Visit Houses Onscreen to see more, including…

Marley and Me stone farmhouse

Inside the real farmhouse from Marley & Me

Comments

1. Ann says

One of the houses sits at ground level and the other has steps going up to the first floor so how could they be the same house? Or am I missing something?

• hookedonhouses says

Yeah, I couldn’t see how they could say it was the same, either. Odd. -Julia

Funny, the movie was actually on TV last night!! I was watching it with my husband and actually commented on that ugly window treatment in the bedroom haha. I am glad you posted this, because after seeing the movie again I was dying for pics of some of the windows and the kitchen!

Also, thanks for the deleted scene shot of the landing!! I love landings… weird but true. I always dreamed of a little library nook at the top of the stairs.
    .-= Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots´s last blog ..Gratitude- Week 3 =-.

3. Julianne says

OK so I’ve considered emailing you to ask you to post about this house for a long, long time — ever since I saw the show a couple years ago. The show wasn’t terrific, but I have watched it 2 more times on TV just to catch shots of their house. I love the house — love their master bedroom with the built-ins (though I never caught that wierd window thing over their bed), and I LOVE all that dark wood downstairs. I also love the kitchen.

I think you’re right — why aren’t builders and home designers catching onto this Craftsman “charm” thing and creating more homey homes for us?? I’d also ten times rather have a sweet home like this with half the space of a big 2-floor ceiling home any day.

I see what you mean about the windows and roofline not lining up… The renovation would have had to be significant for them to be the same house!

Nice lamp choices in the refurnished living room, on the master nightstands, and on the master dresser.
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..Vintage Brass Flower Candleholder =-.

5. Maria says

If only they’d make houses like this now, but all the built-ins/attention to detail would likely be more expensive than the boxes they put up now. Sigh…

I fully agree with you Julia, I love the craftsman style and I don’t know why people don’t build with this level of detail any more!!! Probably because it costs too much, so the average home is ‘cookie cutter’ boring! I haven’t seen You, me and Dupree yet but I loved the pink house in 13 going on 30! Happy Monday :)
    Nancy
    .-= Nancy@marcusdesign´s last blog ..q &amp a with colleen mcgill =-.

7. melissa says

Hello all! Yep, I don’t think they are the same…similar…but no match. The architecture is so appealing and amazing. Thanks for the up close look, always fun and interesting :-) Love it!

I love this house! The movie…eh (I’m not a big Matt Dillon fan), but have watched it more than once just to look at the house. I dream of owning a craftsman one day.
    .-= Mom in High Heels´s last blog ..Cravings =-.

Julia,

That was a really funny and light movie… the older I get, the more I want to watch funny movies instead of drama..lol… I wonder why. :-)

Fun house and I love the bed, but I agree with you on the window treatment. That one needs a “treatment”, if you know what I mean.

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

10. Phyllis Briner says

To your comment, “wonder why more builders aren’t taking note and trying to recreate some of the classic home styles that may be small on square footage but are big on charm and character. ” We are looking to buy or build a cottage in the northwoods of Wisconsin and picked up a book of ideas that I can recommend. It is all Arts and Crafts smaller bungalows with floor plans.
    It is: “Small Bungalows” by Christian Gladu, published in 2007 We may never actually use one of the plans, but I love to sit with book and imagine that we will. 😎

• Shari D. says

I have that book as well – it’s wonderful in its design developments. Very much the bungalow heaven type homes, but with an up to date vibe in its bow to contemporary life.

Oh, I LOVE this house! I totally admit to watching the movie a second and third time just to ogle the house (and Kate Hudson’s cute style). I about died when Dupree set fire to the place.
    And I am having all kinds of nostalgic flashbacks about “thirtysomething” now, I loved that show!
    .-= hip hip gin gin´s last blog ..Victory Day =-.

I loved this house…it was one of the major reasons I watched the movie ( the other one being Owen Wilson). I adored that stenciling in the living room over the fireplace, and was mildly upset when it was “burned” off….why do they always destroy the sets i love in movies? Lets not even mention the horrible “Mouse Hunt” disney film where it was ALL ABOUT destroying a house set I adored (AND making fun of people who adore old houses!)!
    .-= garden girl´s last blog ..new to me =-.

13. Gerry says

So glad you featured this house. It is beautiful. I have watched the movie several times mostly just to look at the house.

I wonder if they change the street numbers on movie houses? Seems it makes it far easier for stalkers (cough-likemyself-cough) to get their Google on & track ’em down.

That pink house is shocking!!
    .-= Lauren´s last blog ..Why boys hate turquoise =-.

15. Erin T. says

So excited you featured this house! Never really got into the movie, but definitely admired the house. :-)

To me, this house looks similar to the CO house they used in “Catch and Release.” I love the built-ins! Our apt has similar built-ins and I will be so sad when we have to move out!
    .-= Erica´s last blog ..200th Post! =-.

17. Laura says

Craftsman houses are just wonderful, but I’m guessing cost is why you don’t see more new ones built. We are building a Craftsman style home and all of those details add up. Blank sheetrock walls and cookie cutter trim is so much cheaper!!

• hookedonhouses says

I’m sure that’s true. I wish they’d build at least a few now and then, though. I’m so tired of all the cookie-cutter subdivisions being built! Lucky you getting to build one. I’m jealous! :-)

I like the feel of the “real homes” house too, but think I could live in a McMansion also! lol Not because I’m so stuffy, but because I’m in love with the woodwork and charm of the big, old homes!
    I like the livingroom in the totally empty picture of it-very nice! Among the many other things in the home…
    .-= Josanne´s last blog ..Surprise!!! =-.

I adore craftsmans, which is why I bought a colonial…

um….

Yeah.

It seems in some subdivisions I’ve been in they are trying to bring back a little of the Craftsman feel. I wonder if they truly are craftsman inside, or if they’re just dry-wall and bleh…….

Craftsman’s always have great staircases….
    .-= Lizzy´s last blog ..55 Degrees of Separation =-.

Hi Julia!
    Thanks for the link! And you’re right – the “You, Me, and Dupree” house and the “13 Going on 30″ house are most definitely not the same place. Here’s the post I did on the You, Me, and Dupree house – it’s in the West Adams District of Los Angeles. :) http://www.iamnotastalker.com/2008/04/14/you-me-and-dupree/
    Happy Stalking! :),
    Lindsay
    .-= Lindsay´s last blog ..Villa Sorriso – The Restaurant Where Michael Jackson’s “Celebration of Life” Reception Was Held =-.

• hookedonhouses says

I just updated my post with your info. Thanks so much, Lindsay! -Julia

21. Jan says

Are you sure the inside was filmed using the same set as the thirtysomething house??? They don’t seem alike to me at all. I like them both though and would be happy to live in either one. :)

• hookedonhouses says

No, I’m not sure. Just reporting what the IMDb.com report about it says. If they did use the same sets, they rearranged them quite a bit. I was just watching “thirtysomething” on DVD and they look totally different to me, too. -Julia

I love Craftsman style bungalows too! They’re one of my very favorite house styles. Unfortunately… development seems to have run rampant over the years, and I’m guessing that developers/builders would not make much of a profit from building “real” craftsman style houses. Some offer simple details that look very craftsman-like, but it really used to be such an art to build that way.

I saw a beautiful Craftsman style house with a modern floor plan in Denver recently. I still think that when I win the lottery I’ll buy that house! :)
    .-= Ashley´s last blog ..Support Local-Small Business Give Thought to Your Choices =-.

23. HollyM says

” I’d take one of these over a sprawling McMansion with soaring ceilings any day.”

Amen, sister!

YES! I love the classic lines of the house. The living rooms are a little dark for my taste, but I love the kitchen, bedroom, and upstairs landing. I haven’t seen this movie, but I think Owen Wilson is pretty funny. Might have to RedBox this one.
    .-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..The Soup Nazi =-.

25. Kim says

Thankyou for doing this post. What a beautiful home! The details are so gorgeous. I love Craftsman styled and old homes.

I wish they would build better looking, and strong homes too. The ones they build around here are those ugly, cheap, and box homes that are so ugly. In years to come, they will start falling apart and will probably end up being torn down so why not build homes that can last for a very long time? Last time they built strong and nice homes, were in the 80’s and 90’s. That’s why if I ever buy a home, it will be an older home, but not too old. Unless I am rich and can afford a nice new one.

I came across a nice craftsman style home. It was built in 1908 and is gorgeous. Here’s the link, (there’s two pages): http://jimbopdx.smugmug.com/Architecture-Alfred-Faber/The-M-G-Nease-House/1229556_rAej2/1/57593282_NN7vF#57593294_62cpy
    What I can appreciate about these old homes is that people built them with heart. The homeowners wanted their homes built strong and with as much detail as possible. If I ever build a home, I am going to do the same.

I loved this house! Thanks so much for posting this. In all honesty I liked the house more than I did the movie. I love Movie Mondays because I learn fun, little facts. Discovering that Owen created his character with a dog in mind cracked me up. P.S. Two fireplaces in the same living area? I die! P.P.S. I’m with you, the window treatment in the bedroom is hideous.
    .-= Bre´s last blog ..Lavish Holiday Makeup MAC 2010 =-.

I loved this house when I first saw You, Me and Dupree. In particular the living area with the rustic timber look. The staircase is really lovely too.

Funny, but it actually kind of bugs me that these guys are in Hope and Michael’s thirtysomething house!

This place reminds me of the house in Joan of Arcadia…

The “You, Me and Dupree” house is definitely located in West Adams. I walked my dogs by there every day while they were filming. The house they filmed in is actually a one story house! They must have added the exterior shot of the top story during post production. The upstairs landing scene has to have been shot in a different location. Maybe that was shot inside the “30 going on 13” house?

The house you see through their living room window, especially when the kids are playing in the street, is our realtor’s house. We parked in front of the “You, Me and Dupree” house every weekend while our realtor took us out looking for our own bungalow!

• hookedonhouses says

That is so interesting! Thanks for the additional info, Heather!!

30. threadbndr says

I’ve got a little tiny Craftsman. It’s only a bit over 900 square feet and has THREE built-in bookcases, a built in secretary desk and a big built in buffet. Lots of hardwood (that needs refinishing LOL). There’a big brick and oak fireplace, too. Can’t get any of that in a comparably sized ‘new’ house.

I SO wish I had that staircase and landing with a proper upstairs instead of an enclosed stairway and just a converted sleeping porch upstairs bedroom.

I love my baby Craftsman so much. I may never move. Come to the midwest – there are bunches of these 1920 and early 1930s houses.

31. Jackie says

The inside of this house reminds me a lot of the Braverman’s house on “Parenthood.”

32. Jennifer says

I have been looking for the wallpaper in this movie. Do you have a name of the wallpaper or a place where it is from?

33. margaret says

In my neighborhood, built in the 1930’s, the lots are so small that builders can’t do McMansions, so they’re actually building some with the look of the rest of the houses. Not exactly Craftsman, but at least they fit the neighborhood a lot better.