Coastal Nest: A Charming Beach Cottage Remodel

by hookedonhouses on October 7, 2010

front door

You know I’m a sucker for cute little beach cottages–heck, I used to have a blog about them! So I was smitten when I saw this vacation cottage for rent in Pacific Beach, Washington. Its owner is Lisa, whose blog shares the same name as her beach house: Coastal Nest.

Lisa says that she’s most proud of the fact that she and her husband did all of the work on it themselves: “100%. That’s why it’s so special to me.” Which is understandable considering that this is how it looked when they started:

cottage before

They had their work cut out for them! It’s hard to believe this is the same place.

living room

Here’s how the kitchen looked before:

kitchen before

And here it is now–much better!

Coastal Nest kitchen

Another before:

living area before

And now–beautiful!

two chairs

One more daunting look at the kinds of challenges they were facing in the beginning:

before-door

And now:

hall

I think I could really go for a vacation by the beach right about now…couldn’t you?

no shoes required

Thanks to Lisa for letting me share her cottage with you! You can see the rest of the photos and get more information about renting Lisa’s Coastal Nest on VRBO.com. Be sure to check out her blog, too!

Julia-simple teal signature

Love Before & Afters? Click Here for More, including…

Plain-Jane House BEFORE Craftsman Style CottageA Plain-Jane House Gets a Craftsman-Cottage Look

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

Kim-HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs October 7, 2010 at 6:53 am

What a darling cottage…Lisa and her husband did an amazing job with the transformation! :)
.-= Kim-HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs´s last blog ..?A Little Fall Decorating ? =-.

Annie@A View on Design October 7, 2010 at 6:54 am

wow – I mean they don’t come much better than this, compare it to its original state, that is quite an accomplishment, most people wouldn’t have the stamina for such fantastic finish!
.-= Annie@A View on Design´s last blog ..Im in love East Malvern =-.

Cindy at Applestone Cottage October 7, 2010 at 6:57 am

Absolutely love this!
What a charming little beach cottage and seeing the before’s really makes it even more special!

Laura October 7, 2010 at 7:02 am

Wow…. it makes me think, there may be hope for my old place yet!!! Lx
.-= Laura´s last blog ..Great Expectations =-.

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish October 7, 2010 at 7:14 am

Love it!! Fantastic redo – that kitchen is too cute! And I love all their beachy accents!
.-= Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish´s last blog ..Decorating for Fall Indoors =-.

Shelia October 7, 2010 at 7:22 am

Hi Julia! OH, what a lovely little beach cottage!! These folks did a wonderful job, didn’t they! I do believe they had coastal beach cottage vision!!
I wanted to say your new blog photo of you looks gorgeous!
Have a wonderful day and be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
.-= Shelia´s last blog ..A Very Fallen Home =-.

linda @ Lime in the coconut October 7, 2010 at 7:28 am

Love her cottage re-do…and her infectuous personality!!
.-= linda @ Lime in the coconut´s last blog ..Cupcake for your thoughts… =-.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints October 7, 2010 at 8:21 am

That is really unbelievable. I admire people for jumping in and tackling a project like that. I know I wouldn’t have the vision or the patience. Love that little crate shelf with the sea shells and SEA over it. Great idea!
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Memory making 101 =-.

Janell Beals October 7, 2010 at 8:22 am

Amazing…what a great renovation, the cottage is now completely adorable and inviting! Janell
.-= Janell Beals´s last blog ..Get out! One of my DIY Tutorials Featured On TheNateShowcom! =-.

MelMel October 7, 2010 at 8:26 am

Oh, wow! I’d like to just move right in! It’s perfect! Great job in the remodeling!
.-= MelMel´s last blog ..A Walk =-.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. October 7, 2010 at 8:27 am

Oh, what a lovely cottage! And quite the amazing transformation!!!

DesignTies October 7, 2010 at 8:31 am

What a pretty and charming home!! It must have taken a lot of time and elbow grease, but Lisa and her hubby have created a wonderful home that I’m sure they’re extremely proud of :-)

Love the No Shoes Required picture :-)

Kelly

sue@solsticehome October 7, 2010 at 8:42 am

Fabulous remodel! from one who has ‘done’ over a few homes..this is a job so well done and all the while keeping the home true to its origins.
.-= sue@solsticehome´s last blog ..sunday morning musings =-.

ann at housefinally October 7, 2010 at 8:55 am

Gorgeous! What great color schemes.

Dean October 7, 2010 at 9:09 am

Fantastic! Glad to see they kept the integrity of the original.

Pat October 7, 2010 at 9:34 am

What a personal accomplishment!
It’s absolutely charming….great job!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..Hotels Are For Sissies =-.

Lauren October 7, 2010 at 9:42 am

Ahhh – these are giving me hope to fight another day. As for the crab paraphernalia – where does one acquire home décor with STD puns? Want.
.-= Lauren´s last blog ..Day 40- life around here =-.

Lisa October 7, 2010 at 10:55 am

Julia,
Thank you so much for the shout out on our Coastal Nest..It was a blast to renovate, and yep, we are still married! If any of you EVER find yourself needing a sweet little getaway, for heavens sakes, let Coastal Nest know..we would love to have ya!!
Lisa
coastal nest
.-= Lisa´s last blog ..When one really needs to just FALL ON THE FLOOR =-.

etta October 7, 2010 at 11:53 am

Wow… this is lovely!
Kisses
Etta

jennifer black October 7, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Holy cow. That’s amazing. I love posts like this.

jennifer
.-= jennifer black´s last blog ..Its all about the view- isnt it =-.

Maya @ Completely Coastal October 7, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Great that you posted this!!! Completely missed it! I’m a sucker for beach cottages too and want one as my very next home (if we can sell this one, haha!).
.-= Maya @ Completely Coastal´s last blog ..Fall Decorating with Pressed Leaves =-.

Luciane October 7, 2010 at 12:19 pm

This is a very tasteful transformation! I love the green in the kitchen the simplicity of all. I believe this is the key to have a “dreamy” cottage: it has to be simple.
The little “shells shelf” on the 7th photo caught my eyes. What a brilliant idea!
Luciane.
From: http://www.HomeBunch.com

lulilut October 7, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Heh! In the before picture, I recognized the ‘brick’ linoleum flooring. My grandfather had it and so did my husband’s parents before they remodeled. It must have been popular at one time.
They did a great job fixing it up and I love the 3 paintings above the couch.

Cheri@IHeartOldHouses October 7, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I love that they were able to work the original vintage green tone into the kitchen, but made it sooo much cuter! I would totally rent this place if I was vacationing in WA.
.-= Cheri@IHeartOldHouses´s last blog ..Getting a Handle on Hardware =-.

Lesley @ TheDesignFile October 7, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Lovely. I love little places like this. It’s so to see what people can do with small spaces and the beach feel is wonderful. Thanks for sharing it!
.-= Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..Couple buys Indy mansion to share with others =-.

Brenda Kula October 7, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Yum, love to see before and afters like this! They did have their work cut out for them. And they achieved perfection! Thanks for showing.
Brenda

Amanda @ Serenity Now October 7, 2010 at 2:35 pm

What a neat feature. :) I love a good remodel story. The new look is wonderful. :)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Blog Design Giveaway from Laura Jane Designs =-.

Marie October 7, 2010 at 2:54 pm

OMG! What an amazing transformation. I agree, that does not look anything like the old house. Now it’s so pretty and so enchanting. They did a fantastic job!!!
-marie
.-= Marie´s last blog ..The Spicy Scent of Autumn =-.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... October 7, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I love it!
.-= Juju at Tales of Whimsy…´s last blog ..I want to read that- Knits for Paranormal Bookish Gals =-.

Nancy@marcusdesign October 7, 2010 at 3:09 pm

This is so charming! And I love seeing those before pics mixed in, what a difference!! They did such an amazing job.
Nancy
.-= Nancy@marcusdesign´s last blog ..q &amp a with massucco warner miller =-.

Design Elements October 7, 2010 at 3:56 pm

charming beach cottage

Bre October 7, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I LOVE beach houses, I adore the entire concept and aesthetic. I didn’t know you had a little side blog at one time, I will be checking that out definitely. This is an adorable cottage and an amazing transformation! They did a fantastic job, the before and afters are day and night!
.-= Bre´s last blog ..Lash Envy =-.

beth October 7, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I am so jealous they had time to do it all themselves. It’s gorgeous. We’re working on a 100-year-old schoolhouse on the Russian River in Sonoma County, CA and trying to do as much of it as we can, but sadly we have jobs.

hookedonhouses October 7, 2010 at 6:53 pm

That sounds like an amazing project, Beth. I love seeing old schoolhouses turned into homes! -Julia

Kate R October 7, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Thanks for showing us this great little cottage. I love all things coastal (BTW, I really miss your other blog) so I’ve bookmarked Coastal Nest so I can really check it out when I have more time.
.-= Kate R´s last blog ..MidwestMediocre- Todays lunch – cottage cheese &amp applesauce Its official- Im becoming my mom =-.

hookedonhouses October 7, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Nice of you to say you miss my other blog, Kate! I miss it, too. Wish I could have kept up with it, but having two blogs turned out to be harder than I thought! Maybe someday I’ll have the time to go back to it, though. -Julia

Valerie October 7, 2010 at 6:55 pm

OMG so cute! It’s only 2.5 hour drive away for me!I am sooo dragging my husband there ASAP!
.-= Valerie´s last blog ..Quilting Class &amp A New Tool =-.

Struggler October 7, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Wow. Ab-sol-utely LOVE it. Even more, because they obviously worked so hard.
Wonderful style and very clever use of fun accessories.
.-= Struggler´s last blog ..Purple Splurges =-.

lucy October 7, 2010 at 7:03 pm

these sorts of transformations are so inspiring….they are like a little caress to the heart ….:)…<3

Pamela @Atmosphere ID October 7, 2010 at 7:19 pm

You had me at coastal and cottage! Two things I adore.
.-= Pamela @Atmosphere ID´s last blog ..Traditional Homes Loves Ceilings Too! =-.

angela | the painted house October 7, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Adorable! They did a wonderful job reviving that little cottage–an act near and dear to my heart. :)

I could sure go for a stay at the beach right now…
.-= angela | the painted house´s last blog ..Vote for Me at Design Refuge! =-.

Karen Ho fatt@ fire pit reviews October 7, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Awesome renovation. They have captured the theme well with all the little details, color and accent pieces. I can just imagine the work required. Currently doing renovations now, sadly, not near a beach! Publisher,familyfirepit.com
.-= Karen Ho fatt@ fire pit reviews´s last blog ..Cocoon Fires Standing Fireplace Set in Black – Sleek and Modern Styling =-.

Daisy October 10, 2010 at 9:01 am

They have done an outstanding job! Others thought so too, judging from all the positive reviews on the vrbo site. I love the little touches like the paddle in the living room and the lighthouse picture in the kitchen. :-)
.-= Daisy´s last blog ..Top 15 Christmas Toys 2010 =-.

Kim Root October 10, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I’m a new reader! This is great. Enjoyed the whole transformation. We just re-modeled a 1915 vintage style home – alot of work. Look forward to following along with your blogs.

Robin October 10, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Wow! What a wonderful transformation. I love it! Hope you are doing well, Julia :)
.-= Robin´s last blog ..Fall At The Cape House =-.

Tara @ Tara Being Tara October 10, 2010 at 9:56 pm

WOW! You’re right – it’s really hard to believe those “before” pictures are for real!
.-= Tara @ Tara Being Tara´s last blog ..A full wedding recap =-.

Why S? October 10, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Great vision. Great realization of that vision. Truly sublime.
.-= Why S?´s last blog ..Dont Make Everyone Lose =-.

Sally January 8, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Love this one. Love the crab pillow. Love the sea shell shelf. (Say that 10 times fast!)
.-= Sally´s last blog ..Psalm 143-8 =-.

Mary Ann March 19, 2011 at 6:30 am

We just did a complete beach cottage remodel…so nice to wake up to every morning. This one is charming.

Kathleen Westlake June 8, 2011 at 9:46 pm

That’s totally the look that I’m going for! We live in a 1940s cape cod style home. It’s close to the beach in Kotzebue Alaska. It was built by the government back then, and they had master craftsmen shipped up here to build it. It has all original wooden doors and hardware, moulding, and built in cabinetry that is just outstanding compared to anything built here now. We just love it! It just has to have some 80s taken out of it ;) I love your site<3

{ 1 trackback }