This Is Not an Ordinary Mobile Home

by hookedonhouses on March 23, 2010

Theresa Smith-mobile home-Country Living

Theresa Smith owns an antiques business in Glendale, Kentucky, where she lives in this double-wide mobile home. It may look unassuming from the outside, but it’s no ordinary trailer! It goes to show, as Theresa told Country Living, “It isn’t the structure you live in; it’s what you do with it that makes it a home.”

Theresa Smith-living room

The rooms are filled with her favorite antiques and vintage finds:

Theresa Smith-kitchen

Theresa’s studio takes a break from the white in the rest of the house with cheery red on the walls:

Theresa Smith-studio

I think this is further proof that creativity is more important than money. It’s what we do with the space we have that matters.

You can see the rest of the photos of Theresa’s home and read all about it at Country Living. (Photos by Keith Scott Morton.)

Nita March 23, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I have seen this one on the HGTV website and love it. I also lived in a mobile home and mine wasn’t typical, either. There are $300,000 mobile homes now, and up north in northern California, mobile homes, even old ones, can go for $700,000. I saw one mobile home done up in French country. Adorable!

Julie M ~ The Little Red Shop March 23, 2010 at 10:27 pm

What a lovely and inviting home!

: )

Julie M.
.-= Julie M ~ The Little Red Shop´s last blog ..Ma Cuisine, Week II ~ The Little Hutch and 100th Follower Giveaway! =-.

Pam @ Design Fanatic March 23, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Unbelievable! Her taste is so awesome!
.-= Pam @ Design Fanatic´s last blog ..ANOTHER PAINTING PROJECT =-.

Lauren March 23, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Holy. Crap. My mom and I are both lying in bed, and I just had to yell across the hall at her about what an awesome trailer this is. I’ve seen humongous homes with not one hint of this kind of style!
.-= Lauren´s last blog ..Your Opinions Needed =-.

pam @ becolorful March 23, 2010 at 10:47 pm

That is absolutely incredible! I have a new appreciation for mobile homes and what you can do with a small space. I’d like to hire her.
Pam
.-= pam @ becolorful´s last blog ..Day One of My Sideboard Transformation and A Score at Pier 1 =-.

Cindy March 23, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Very, very nice. She is amazing.

le@whoopwhoop March 23, 2010 at 11:06 pm

how delightful – what a grand thing it is to make your house a home :) le xo
.-= le@whoopwhoop´s last blog ..Bach = Kiwi speak for holiday shack =-.

Nonnie March 24, 2010 at 12:22 am

Wow, just wow.

christy March 24, 2010 at 3:42 am

Wow you would never know it from the inside. I love it too! Thanks for sharing it with us Julia!
.-= christy´s last blog ..The Foo’s Fabulous Big Girl Room! =-.

Sharon March 24, 2010 at 6:43 am

I agree, a mobile home doesn’t have to ‘look’ like a mobile home. There’s always potential it you look beyond what the factory has added. In this case she has done a wonderful job of making it her own instead of some prefab design.

Stephanie March 24, 2010 at 7:04 am

I can’t believe how beautiful that mobile home is…they did a wonderful job at making it look like a home.
.-= Stephanie´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday, You capture, theme "the moment" =-.

Blayne Beacham March 24, 2010 at 8:01 am

How amazing! I love it! I love the pediment above the window in the first picture :)
.-= Blayne Beacham´s last blog ..Guest Blogger – Morningside Hotspots =-.

Anna March 24, 2010 at 8:09 am

The rooms a bright and lively, any home can be beautiful its what you can make with your own personal touches. Kudos to the owner on a terrific transformation

angela | the painted house March 24, 2010 at 8:14 am

I LOVE it! You are so right on in your last statement…it’s what we do with the space we have.
.-= angela | the painted house´s last blog ..The Painted House is Yum =-.

Sheila March 24, 2010 at 8:19 am

Love it. I think that even the outside has been given attention. And I LOVE the white-on-white scheme — gives more credence to items rather than walls (but I love the red room, as well). Serious kudos!
.-= Sheila´s last blog ..Dinner vs. supper =-.

Kat in Texas March 24, 2010 at 8:24 am

Wowzers! I love it that she’s taken a mobile home and turned it into a showplace. Who wouldn’t love coming home to that every day?

LoveFeast Table March 24, 2010 at 8:29 am

My husband and I lived in a trailer in the mountains of Colorado right after we were married. He was 19 and I was 22. We had our first son. It was straight out of the 70′s shag carpet and all…nothing like this little beauty! If I knew then, what I know now! :)
.-= LoveFeast Table´s last blog ..VEAL SCALLOPINI – Remembering Childhood =-.

linda@LimeintheCoconut March 24, 2010 at 8:38 am

No Maam…indeed it is not!
.-= linda@LimeintheCoconut´s last blog ..Heh heh heh….(insert creepy laugh) =-.

Pat March 24, 2010 at 9:24 am

This is by far my favorite story! This makes my heart happy even more then my eyes. If I could meet this incredible person, I would give her the biggest hug…she’s got style!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..**SIGN OF THE TIMES** =-.

Camila F. March 24, 2010 at 9:28 am

Amazing! I wanna live there!

Amanda @ Serenity Now March 24, 2010 at 10:14 am

I would never have thought “mobile home” when I saw those photos…I have such a preconceived notion that comes along with those words. Even the exterior looks great. :)

the domestic fringe March 24, 2010 at 10:19 am

I think I saw this home featured in Country Living Magazine before. It’s just amazing. I am in awe.
-FringeGirl
.-= the domestic fringe´s last blog ..Tuesday’s Nonsense =-.

Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip March 24, 2010 at 10:20 am

Wow! What a place!

Yes, creativity is more important than money when it comes to decorating!!
.-= Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip´s last blog ..SPRING IS HERE!! =-.

Jeanette {A Passion for Home} March 24, 2010 at 10:20 am

This is the best looking mobile home I’ve ever seen. Ms. Smith has fabulous taste and a knack with designing rooms with antiques. Very very inspiring.
.-= Jeanette {A Passion for Home}´s last blog ..Four Chairs & a dry bar, Part II… =-.

Kristi @ Creative Kristi March 24, 2010 at 10:20 am

I have seen this article somewhere else online before (more focus on her kitchen-which is AH-mazing!) and it just goes to show you should really REALLY not judge a book by it’s cover! I love it!
.-= Kristi @ Creative Kristi´s last blog ..Happy Friday!! =-.

Morning T March 24, 2010 at 10:30 am

I’ve been drooling over her home for quite some time now….love it all!!
.-= Morning T´s last blog ..Treasure hunting in Calgary =-.

Gwen Rubenstein March 24, 2010 at 10:31 am

Fabulous!!!

Sandi March 24, 2010 at 10:48 am

Theresa Smith could probably decorate a mole hole & it would look great. She’s got a great eye for design!

Amy March 24, 2010 at 10:55 am

That’s fantastic!
.-= Amy´s last blog ..Things, They are a’Changin’ =-.

Hip Hip Gin Gin March 24, 2010 at 11:02 am

Wow!! This is fantastic!! Not at all what I would have pictured when someone says “mobile home”.
.-= Hip Hip Gin Gin´s last blog ..Did you know =-.

Susan March 24, 2010 at 11:10 am

I have also seen this mobile home before. What a wonderful job of transforming a typical manufactured home into a charming one. Talent and creativity are what’s needed to change any typical space into a fabulous one. Just look what designers do on movie sets. They create spaces that live in our memories for years. This place should boost sales of mobile homes. I also love the little camp trailers owned by the “Sisters on the Fly”. They are also very charming. Perhaps you should do a post on that topic. With summer coming up, what a fun way to travel that would be!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo
.-= Susan´s last blog ..Dogs and Horses =-.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions March 24, 2010 at 11:50 am

I had no idea this was a double wide trailer/mobile home! It looks just like a ranch style or cottage! Love the pictures you shared in your post and I agree with her that its what you do with it.

Struggler March 24, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Thank you for this, what a beautiful home. Once again, blog land has made me feel very humble in terms of what Theresa has achieved with (apparently) so little.
Hope you are well; I’ve been stopping by often but life (darn it) has required a bit of a cutback on my commenting :)
.-= Struggler´s last blog ..Design Your Own Decor =-.

Lesley @ TheDesignFile March 24, 2010 at 1:35 pm

This is really amazing and a great lesson in how you can change any home. I’m going to include the post in my Sunday roundup. It’s fantastic.

Thanks for always featuring the most fun and incredible stuff.
.-= Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..Design Translation: A country corner cabinet =-.

Beckie March 24, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Mobile or prefab homes offer great possibilities, but the Lady in KY better have a storm cellar or friends with a basement! Tornadoes love TN & KY, along with the Mid-West. You could pay me to live in a house without a basement anymore!
Beckie in Brentwood, TN
.-= Beckie´s last blog ..The Art of Chihuly =-.

Annie@A View on Design March 24, 2010 at 1:39 pm

amazing isn’t i!
.-= Annie@A View on Design´s last blog ..You can relax, it’s Tassie! =-.

Beckie March 24, 2010 at 1:40 pm

That should have been “you COULDN’T pay me to live in a house without a basement”…
.-= Beckie´s last blog ..The Art of Chihuly =-.

guest October 5, 2010 at 7:57 pm

isn’t it great that you are so much more fortunate than some?

Amy @ Living Locurto March 24, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Beautiful trailer. I’d still be afraid a tornado would blow me away.
.-= Amy @ Living Locurto´s last blog ..Free Easter Printables =-.

Kim March 24, 2010 at 3:36 pm

This house is incredible. I love what she has done to the place.

The manufactured homes they make today, are alot nicer then the ones they made in the 90′s and older. I know because I have been inside them.

Karen March 24, 2010 at 3:52 pm

This is great — I’d love to see more houses like this! I think it’s all about what you do with your space, to make it your own.
.-= Karen´s last blog ..Marshmallow Peeps Store =-.

janice | Sharing the Journey March 24, 2010 at 5:26 pm

This lady has amazing taste! I loved the kitchen and serene seaside feel of the lounge. Just shows what you can do if you’re oozing with flair and creativity!
.-= janice | Sharing the Journey´s last blog ..Why Haiku? =-.

Dawn March 24, 2010 at 7:25 pm

My first thought was “Wow! Just WOW!” And I noticed that someone else posted that already and lots of similar sentiments.

That is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints March 24, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Love this! Great post Julia:)
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..What should have been fun… =-.

Lori-Anne March 24, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Wow, that’s got to be the nicest mobile home I’ve seen! Thanks for sharing :)
.-= Lori-Anne´s last blog ..Flame in a Teacup =-.

Katie @ makingthishome.com March 25, 2010 at 11:28 am

Oh this is great. It’s great proof of loving where you live and what you have. Thank you for showing us, Julia!
Katie
.-= Katie @ makingthishome.com´s last blog ..I Forget English =-.

Josanne March 25, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I love looking at how people decorate their homes. When people can get past what their idea of the perfect home is, they can create an inviting and cozy haven of their own. My own home might not be someone else’s dream home, but I am comfortable, and have even learned to look at the flaws of my 70-ish year old structure as character, until I can get them fixed! :)
.-= Josanne´s last blog ..My Marriage Tips =-.