Meryl Streep’s Spanish-Style Ranch in “It’s Complicated”

It's Complicated-Steve Martin-Meryl Streep

The minute It’s Complicated hit theaters last month, I started getting reader e-mails about it. Every day, more people asked me to “Please feature It’s Complicated on your blog!” Most said that they liked the romantic comedy, which stars Meryl Streep, Steve Martin, and Alec Baldwin, but they loved Jane’s 1920s Spanish-Style ranch in Santa Barbara. Are you one of them?

It's Complicated-living room

It's Complicated-bedroom

It's Complicated-bathroom

Everyone’s favorite room seems to be the kitchen, and with good reason:

It's Complicated-kitchen

Meryl Streep-Jane's garden

Photographs via Traditional Home and Universal Pictures.

Meryl and friends in dining room

UPDATE: I have written a new post with more photos, including ones of Jane’s bakery, here.

UPDATE #2: The Equestrian Ranch where this movie was filmed is on the market.

nights-in-rodanthe-dvd-cover
For all of you who have been following the sad saga of Serendipity, the inn from Nights in Rodanthe, I wanted to give you an…
Cape Cod from Mr. Mom movie | hookedonhouses.net
Who could forget the classic 1983 comedy Mr. Mom? Or that cute cape Michael Keaton and Teri Garr lived in? You can always count on…

Comments

1. stori says

My first thought when I saw Jane’s house was how long I’d have to wait to see it on your blog. You were fast! Thanks for that. I told my friend I wouldn’t change one part of that kitchen. It’s perfect! Can’t wait to see the next blog about it. I can tell that you must spend a ton of time and effort on each of your posts. And you make it seem effortless. Well done.

thanks for this! i loved her house in this movie. I also loved the oldest daughter’s house too. I liked the movie although I did spend most of the time staring at the interiors.
    .-= Jessica at Lavender & Lilies´s last blog ..A Cute Thing =-.

I wondered the same thing about the kitchen..the mentioned something about it being her dream kitchen so maybe it was more industrial or something…like multiple ovens or something? But you are right the oen she had looked pretty good to me!!!
    .-= Jen @ After The Alter´s last blog ..Soundtrack of My Life =-.

Yes, I saw the movie and yes I was one of those in the audience who was laughing so loudly you couldn’t hear the dialogue. Fabulous house and I too wondered why she needed a new kitchen. Maybe it was to exorcise the demons from the marriage in the old one. I can’t wait to get the behind scenes guff too.
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Sale Away =-.

There was an interesting article in the New York Times about why so many people find Nancy Meyer’s movies so appealing and why her formula works. (A lot of it has to do with strong independent women that also happen to have beautiful houses, something I think we can all appreciate.)

• hookedonhouses says

Great article! Thanks for the link to it, Jennevieve! -Julia

6. Kim says

I haven’t seen this movie, but it looks good. That house is nice and cozy. My favorite room is the greatroom. I love the vaulted ceiling, it makes the room seem larger, and it’s beautiful.

Thanks for spending time doing a post on this house. Have a great day!

Do you have any picture of Diane Keatons House/Kitchen in ‘First Wives Club’ I love that kitchen reminds me of Meryl Streeps above! Lovely website by the way!
    .-= Jason´s last blog ..Lazy Weekend =-.

• hookedonhouses says

Jason–
      I haven’t featured “First Wives Club” yet, but that’s a great suggestion. Thanks! -Julia

Hi! I, too, was wondering while I was watching the movie when you would feature Meryl Streep’s house! lol I really enjoyed the film. I went on a weekday during the day to see it and then went back that weekend to watch it with a group of friends! I loved her house and I especially loved her garden. There was an actual gasp that went up in the theater when the vegetable-picking scene started.
    Thanks for being so diligent for us “house fools.” We all appreciate it very much!
    .-= Donna´s last blog ..My 2010 Weekly Planner =-.

Yes, this satisfied my craving, for now! I LOVED this movie – it was so funny I laughed until I cried! So I would have been one of those people in the movie annoying the non-loud laughers! haha!
    Did you know that a fellow bloggers artwork was featured in this movie? Anne Harwell of Annechovie has one of her chair prints in the bathroom of the daughter’s house – which is shown extensively during one of the pivotal scenes at the party. So fun and fabulous!
    .-= christy´s last blog ..Matt ROCKS! =-.

I’m right there! I wouldn’t want a kitchen renovation….but would love a friend who owns a bakery :-). The movie was entertaining, but I wanted a rewind button so I could see the scenery again lol. Thanks for the post and look forward to the details.

Sandra Bulluck’s house in THE BLIND SIDE – can we see more? Definitely my style of house – I could just see me living there. Hope to see some pics soon!!

12. Kelly says

Oh my goodness! I just got home from seeing the movie 30 minutes ago. How wonderful that you have this featured here! I laughed until I cried at several of the scenes. The house and garden are gorgeous, but her bakery is to die for! Thank you once again for featuring a house I can swoon over.

13. E. George says

Hi Julia thank you ….my daughter just told me she went with my sister to see it last night and knew I would love everything about the movie I’m not good with dark closed rooms so I have to wait for the DVD my sad story. I watched The Ugly Truth and thought her place was great hint. hint. we are too demanding of your time and we know and appreciate what you do for us all. Regards Esther from Sydney with confused weather – hot and cold .

I need to see this movie so I can really take in every angle and inch of these rooms. Your picture has just given me the bug to see more. Thanks!
    .-= Rita´s last blog ..Black and White =-.

omg. thats so creepy. i saw the movie yesterdaynight and i was so in love with the kitchen!!!!! and then i get to this website and the first thing i see is a post about the movie and the house. love it!

16. Rick says

Julia,
    Great interiors. I think I realize I’m not the only one to be distracted by a chair, molding, or window. The SDSA (Set Decorators Society of America) have a web site with information on about this movie and many others. It’s Complicated was done by the same people who did Something’s Got to Give. The site lists sources too.

Other TV shows and Films are also covered. I see they also did an article about the show House M.D. , one show my wife and I both love.

Rick

Rick

Julia- I had seen this Traditional Home article and love the pictures. I had some of the same questions you had. I’d love to have her house, but I don’t think I’ll be wanting her therapist’s number any time soon :). Hope you haven’t forgotten my plea for “The Proposal” house!
    .-= susan´s last blog ..Reverse Psychology =-.

That kitchen — so swoony! I can’t imagine that what Steve Martin will come up with could possibly be any better. But my favorite part of the movie was definitely the garden! Can you imagine??

And yes, I liked the movie. But I disagreed with the ending. And that’s all I’ll say about that, so as not to spoil anything. 😉
    .-= Shannan´s last blog ..Dining In =-.

19. Jennifer says

Hope you don’t mind a couple of suggestions for future features…..
    I always liked Wishbone’s house when I would watch the show with my children.
    Also Miss Potter’s home-her parents’ home and her country home. Beautiful.

Thank you!

I loved her house! I can’t see why she needed to do any remodeling at all.

I also kept staring at her juice glasses. I’m going to hunt all over the place for those now.

Rick, thanks for the link. You’ve now destroyed any chance I had of getting work done today.
    .-= Annelise´s last blog ..Keep Calm Calendar =-.

21. Laura says

Julia, Thank you for doing this post. My husband and I saw the movie Saturday night and after we got out the first things we talked about were the house ahh that kitchen and the garden which made me gasp. I also liked the movie but that therapist must have been on something haha. Annelise I was also loving those juice glasses please let me know if you find them. Julia, have a great Monday.

Ahhh, THANK YOU for the collection of links. That will have to hold us over until the DVD comes out, at which point I plan on watching over and over with pen & pad in hand.

I liked the movie but I loved the set. I didn’t buy Meryl Streep in this role. I saw Janes character more as a Diane Keaton or even Diane Lane. And, I had the same question as you, why does she need a new kitchen and what will that one look like?!?
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Grateful =-.

23. Mary Frances says

I saw the movie yesterday, and loved it….laughed my head off! I loved all of the girlfriend scenes…isn’t that how we picture ourselves entertaining our closest friends and enjoying the beautiful spaces we create together? I agree with everyone about the bakery…I want a lovely place like this to grab a latte and croissant in the morning, too!!!

Mary Frances

24. Donna says

I always look forward to coming home from work on Mondays and reading your posts about movie houses. Since I have the day off, I can enjoy an early reading today. I can’t wait to hear more about “It’s Complicated.” Please consider posting on the apartment from “No Reservations” sometime. My parents home in Austin TX was used for scenes as the party house in the movie “Dazed and Confused.” While the filming took place on one long day almost 20 years ago, the neighbors still refer to the house as the “Dazed and Confused House.” It was not a movie that would usually draw my attention, but it’s fun to see my hometown and home on the big screen (or dvd). Thanks for all the info, Donna

I haven’t seen the movie yet but the house is great! Very lived in ~ the set designer did a great job. Looking forward to seeing that one and laughing out LOUD!
    Paula Grace ~
    .-= Paula Grace´s last blog ..Monday’s Method =-.

26. Carol says

I’m great at remembering details so I have the answer to one of your questions….Jane makes a statement in the beginning of the movie that she needs a kitchen with some walls in it. Those of us without them know that you cant have art work or beautiful antique free standing cupboards without them so I understand her desire but I really like the kitchen as is too. Maybe because her bakery is so open she needs the change when at home? I love all of Nancy Meyers movies , smart dialogue and house eye candy and “It’s Complicated” did not disappoint !

This post makes me SO homesick! I grew up 30 minutes north of Santa Barbara and we would go there on Sunday afternoons…it’s a gorgeous drive up the coast and you feel like you’ve entered into another world. I think they captured the feel of that town 100% in her home! Thanks for posting these great pictures!
    .-= Kristen @ More Than Mulberries´s last blog ..Kids Bathroom Remodel =-.

28. Gerry says

Julia, I just watched The Proposal this weekend. The house on there was “FANTASTIC” . Supposedly a home in Alaska, the outside shots were to die for. Not a lot of shots of the interior, but the few glimpses they did show were just beautiful. I’m sure you could probably research what the house is really like and maybe show it soon. Please?

I agree… why did she need a new kitchen…. I LOVED the one she had… and if she was going to have a NEW one… they really should’ve ended the movie by showing us the NEW one!
    Ooooh… not only was her home great… BUT… J’adore her shop!!!
    .-= Fifi Flowers´s last blog ..Umbrellas for a Rainy Day… =-.

30. Terry says

Haven’t seen the movie yet but am a kitchen fanatic (especially since I have a “90’s builder’s kitchen”). I want Meryl’s kitchen. I really, really, really want Meryl’s kitchen. I have DVR’d movies just for the kitchen. Alas, my kitchen doesn’t lend itself to easy transformation and it would take oodles of money to transform it (moving walls, moving plumbing, moving electrical, just about gutting the entire house). I have to stop watching movies. I can’t see movies in theaters since I disrupt others by saying, “DID YOU SEE THAT LAMP?!!!”, or, “what color is that – I HAVE TO HAVE IT! At least with this blog I can lust in private. Oh, and the vegetable garden. Life is not fair.

I reeeeeeally love the bedroom! Can’t wait to check out the site to see more. :) If you aren’t already writing a book about all of your movie houses, you should be! If I buy it, can I get an autographed copy?? 😉 Haven’t seen the film yet, but I really want to. I think Alec Baldwin looks hilarious!
    .-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Devilishly Good Cupcakes and Icing Tutorial =-.

32. Sara says

I had the same thought after seeing the movie. Why in the world did she need a new kitchen. And, when they kept saying she was finally getting the kitchen she’d always wanted I thought, I’d love to have the one in the movie!

33. MizNobody says

I asked all the same questions, only I do have a friend who runs a Bakery. Now of course I want to run one myself.
    Thanks for the photos. I fell in love with the house and soon found that it was a major distraction. :-) Look forward to regularly reading the blog.

34. Judith Jensen says

loved the extrior of the house but loved the garden more.

Saw the movie yesterday. LOVED it……….Loved the house, could move in with a toothbrush, loved the girlfriend scenes and loved the message in the movie. (Not the part of “it’s okay to have an affair with an X”) The whole house was amazing. The kitchen, wonderful look… most people would kill for a kitchen like this…do you hear the but coming……..BUT… I can see why if you where a professional cook you would want a new kitchen. Although it looked good, being a Kitchen designer, I saw a lot of Things that could be improved to make it work better. Would be hard to prepare a large feast in this kitchen and forget about anyone helping you cook. This is a one cook kitchen. But for a causal cook it is wonderful. And again the over all look is dreamy. sue

36. jodi from new jersey says

I saw the movie with my husband and we both loved it. Alec Baldwin is so funny and cute.. I was annoyed that she was getting an addition, it’s so messy. I loved how her house was so cozy and nestled in trees, I think the addition would ruin it. I think I have too much time on my hands! I love movie houses and I love this site…………………….

37. Liz says

Could you please feature the homes on the newest Stepford Wives (remake with Niclole Kidman)…I LOVE to look at them!
    Thanks,
    Liz

38. Stacey says

I just got home from seeing this at the movies today and loved it, especially the house, the big trees up the driveway, the kitchen and her gourmet work place! It was really inspiring which led me to google ‘beautiful homes in movies’ and I stumbled accross your website! I am so happy to have found it and am already totally hooked! Mum & I spent ages talking about this house, now we can see it any time along with some of our other favourite movie houses! Thanks

39. Donna from oz says

I loved the house but I also loved the bakery, where is it ? I want to open one just like it after seeing the movie, which by the way was terrific!

• hookedonhouses says

Donna–
      When I do a full post about the movie after it comes out on DVD, I’ll be sure to cover the bakery, too. Loved it! -Julia

40. merylstreeplove says

oh my gosh! ilove this movie, this house and meryl streep! she’s amazing!

41. Hamtonitegal says

This place is gorgeous as well. Love it. The main part that really makes it roomy and comfortable is the kitchen and the den/living room with the chair around it. I’ve only seen trailers of the movie, but there was a scene when she was with all her friends and she told them she was having an affair. Fun!! Now that’s an inviting room. I’m so glad I came across your website. I love it. The homes you have on here are amazing. I think I’m going to start going to some open houses and take some photo’s. They do have some amazing homes here, but they are heavily guarded and you can’t get in unless the guard calls the owner or realtor.. Homes are just gorgeous. But my favorite is “Somethings Gotta Give” and Carries apt from “Sex and The City”. That’s like my apt now. We are much alike in that respect. I surely didn’t want her to sell it in the movie. I would have just kept it. Never letting my lovely little apt in a lovely neighborhood go. Are you kidding? Married or not, sometimes you need a fortress of solitude and hers was the perfect apt as well as Mary Tyler Moores!!! Love it! Great website!!

42. Jennifer says

I am in love with the bakery/restaurant in the movie It’s Complicated. Is there more pictures and info we can get about it? I am a chef and interested in opening something sort of similar… I would love to be able to use it for some inspiration.

43. Judy D'Angiolillo says

I’m so in love with your website. I can across it by accident and am totally hooked. One request, do you have an info on Kate’s (Catherine Zeta Jones) apartment in NYC in the movie “No Reservations.” That’s also a keeper.

Thanks for your great site.

I just saw the movie:

I LOVE the view she will have by putting on the second story addition. Oh. my. God. I would live exclusively on the second floor ofthe house.

And the courtyard where she set up their dinner? The dwarf orange even matched the stripes in the cushions. Swoon.

Excuse me while I go make some chocolate croissants…
    .-= Janet @ I Drink at Restaurants´s last blog ..Vegan …with Exceptions =-.

45. Susan says

I just saw It’s Complicated on DVD this last weekend and I loved it. The scene in the bathroom where they’re smoking the joint was absolutely hilarious. Not that I condone that kind of activity!
    I would love a house like Jane’s, but unfortunately there are not too many to be found here in the Mid West. My favorite room of the house was the living room, very cozy.

It is the first time that I’ve been so curious about a “home” in a movie set that I had to go online to see more of it…and your blog was right on top of my search.
    Jane’s house was truly amazing. I loved her deli restaurant too.
    Looking forward to seeing more rooms : D
    .-= Angel´s last blog ..an expensive CVS trip =-.

47. Hamtonitegal says

I finally did see the movie and I loved it. I loved every aspect of that house. Great space!! I had to watch it three times because of the house. It’s these homes in these movies that really attract. It is also the likes of producers and directors such as Nancy Meyers and Nora Ephron who both seem to know exactly what the personality and home entails of all the characters in the movies. What’s so funny is that every time I’ve seen a movie and fell in love with the home’s, it was always one of their movies. They are true visionaries. Great taste. I would love to see their homes. Now since the movie, Sex and The City 2 is out I can’t wait to see Carrie and Big’s new place. Nothing short of great!! Really nice. I won’t spoil for anyone that hasn’t seen it yet, but you have to add it here. I loved it!!

I absolutely love that I’ve found your website. Looking forward to reading more. It’s Complicated is one of my favorite movies since seeing it earlier this year. I fell in love with this home and love looking at the detailed pictures of it here. Thanks for the link to Traditional Home as well.
    .-= Kelli´s last blog ..While I’m Waiting….. =-.

49. Jessica says

Just recently saw the movie and was in envy the entire time I watched it. The house featured in the movie is the epidemy of what I want for myself and my family. But of course what does a house like that cost in Santa Barbara?

50. Monique says

Have you ever considered taking a look at Streep’s house from The Devil Wears Prada. I’d love to see it on your post. Great job with your other postings. Keep up the good work!

I loved the red roofs of Santa Barbara. I loved her kitchen table. I loved her therapist for saying that “it couldn’t hurt” for Meryl to have an affair with her ex-husband even though I know that he’s more full of it than an elephant’s colon.

But while we’re dreaming, this is no dream. I loved the house in Something’s Gotta Give, but even more the Paris cafe where Nicholson and Keaton met with Keanau Reeves at the end. My sister was going on a two week trip to France to do a river float through the interior. “Sis, if I was in Paris I’d go to that restaurant.” She wrote me back “it looked too expensive for my taste.” This from a woman who’s been to France a dozen times. I wrote back and said “I wouldn’t know. I’ve never been to Europe.”

Meanwhile I’m thinkin’ ‘I’d like to drop kick my foot right up your big fat ass your g d btch,” believing that my therapist…if I had one would say….”go ahead. Let yourself go. It couldn’t hurt.”
    .-= Winsip Custer´s last blog ..Betty Krawczyk Is Canadian National Hero for Facing Down Kiewit =-.

52. Vera says

Just finished watching “It’s Complicated” for the umpteenth time on HBO. I fell in love with Meryl Streep’s house in this movie the first time I saw it and finally decided to google and that’s what brought me to your blog. I saw this movie on Christmas day with my two teenage daughters last Christmas. Didn’t think they would like it as it was about middle aged people, but they were laughing to the point of tears along with everyone else in the theater. I should be surprised it got so so reviews but the critics never seem to like entertaining movies. Thank you for posting the pictures of this beautiful cozy home.

53. Kevin says

I loved the movie as I am in my 8th year of being not married. But the house just caught my eye especially the kitchen and I am a terrible cook! Plus the soundtrack featuring Heitor Pereira and Hans Zimmer is absolutely fantastic!!

54. Payal says

I love the movie! My husband says why do you keep watching it again and again? And I tell him…I love the house, especially the kitchen….I wish I have one similar to this house somewhere in the near future!!!!! Its simply gorgeous….and since I am a kitchen, cooking and baking freak, I might keep this house’s photos and the movie in mind when we think of designing our own house!