“The Break-Up:” A Condo in Chicago Worth Fighting For

by hookedonhouses on November 8, 2009

The Break-Up DVD cover

Welcome to Movie Monday, when I feature the sets from our favorite films. The Break-Up, featuring Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston, was the anti-romantic comedy. Instead of following a couple in the process of falling in love, we watched a relationship fall apart.

In the movie, Gary and Brooke share a fabulous condo in Chicago that becomes a battleground after they break up. Neither of them wants to move out, and we can hardly blame them.

Vince Vaugh-Jennifer Aniston-sofa

The movie has a lot of funny moments, but I found it kind of depressing to watch them fight (and fight and fight some more).  Most of the action happens in the apartment, though, so at least we had something pleasant to look at in the background.

Entry Hall:

entry door

hall into living rm

Brooke works in an art gallery and is an artist herself. The apartment is filled with sketches and paintings, many of which we assume are hers (but are actually Francine Turk’s).

entry hall

Living Room:

living room-cleaned up

Vince Vaughn sofa

Jason Bateman plays their Realtor friend who encourages them to go ahead and sell the condo when it’s clear that they aren’t going to get back together:

Jason Bateman-living rm

Gary turns the living room into his (messy) bedroom after they break up:

Vince Vaughn-messy living rm

In these two photos taken on set, the colors don’t look as warm as they do on film:

living room set - The Break Up

fireplace - The Break Up

Bedroom:

Jen Aniston-bedroom 2

Jen Aniston-bedroom 3

As I’m going through these photos, I notice that Brooke sure did spend a lot of time talking on the phone!

Jen Aniston-bedroom

Kitchen:

Break-Up kitchen 1

Break-Up lemons 1

One of my favorite scenes in the film is when they’re getting ready for a party in the apartment and Brooke complains that Gary brought her only 3 lemons when she needed 12 for the centerpiece. “So no one is actually eating them?” he asks. “They’re just show lemons?”

When she explains that 3 lemons won’t fill the vase, he asks, “Why can’t you put them in a drinking glass instead?”

The Break-Up kitchen stove

Vince Vaughn-counter

In this shot of the kitchen at night, you can see the top row of cabinets that go to the ceiling:

kitchen at night

Peter Billingsley plays Andrew, the husband of Brooke’s friend Addie (Joey Lauren Adams). You might recognize him from A Christmas Story, which made him famous when he was 12:

Joey Lauren Adams-Peter Billingsley

The Dining Room:

Break-Up dining room 1

Break-Up dining room 2

Vernon Vaughn (far right, below), who is Vince Vaughn’s real-life dad, played Jen Aniston’s father in the movie. You can definitely see some resemblance:

Vince Vaughn's Dad

When Brooke’s at work one day, Gary brings a pool table into the dining room:

Break-Up pool table

I think set decorator Daniel Clancy and designer Stephanie Gilliam did a great job creating a space that was worth fighting over.

dining room

The artwork shown around the condo is by Francine Turk. (Thanks to Amy S. who passed this info. along to me along with the set photos. You can read more about the talented Francine Turk here.)

dining room into kitchen

One of the final scenes has Brooke and Gary moving out of the condo and saying goodbye. Frankly, I was more sad to see Brooke lose this place than to see her lose her boyfriend.

empty condo 1

The movie was directed by Peyton Reed, who was also at the helm of another movie we love for the sets–Down With Love (you can see my post about the Renee Zellweger-Ewan McGregor comedy here).

I took most of these photos while watching the movie. The images belong to Universal Studios, copyright 2006.

Visit my TV/Movie Houses page for links to all the others I’ve featured, from  The Parent Trap to Spanglish.

FROM THE RIGHT BANK November 8, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Another good one, Julia! I found the movie a little painful to watch too but I always loved the apartment scenes. (I can’t believe you took these photos from the movie! Good job!)
.-= FROM THE RIGHT BANK´s last blog ..House Hunting, The Highlights =-.

micah November 8, 2009 at 7:34 pm

What a fabulous apartment! I wouldn’t want to give it up either. I enjoyed the movie the first time around, but don’t feel the need to see it again – a little too depressing.

Really enjoy this series, by the way.
.-= micah´s last blog ..Kitchen Update: IT’S DONE!!! =-.

Kim November 8, 2009 at 7:39 pm

I really for some reason, didn’t like this movie. They did a really good job with it it’s just that, their whole relationship, was so painful to watch.

I’m usually not an apartment or condo person, but this condo I love. The whole detail and layout is so incredible. Thanks for posting this!

clustres November 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Thanks! I have been waiting for you to do this condo. I loved it in the movie!

AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage November 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Loved their apartment in the movie! I actually really liked the movie too…well, more or less…the actors were fun to watch and Jennifer Aniston looked amazing the entire movie (as usual).
.-= AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage´s last blog ..I Found the Coolest (Inexpensive) Store on Earth =-.

E. George November 8, 2009 at 10:41 pm

Hi Julia as usual you keep us entertained – I have watched the movie twice – first time I have to admit my sister made me – 2nd time by choice it was sad but the condo WOW I wouldn’t want to move either. Regards Esther.

Carmen November 8, 2009 at 10:59 pm

I did NOT know that was the kid from A Christmas Story. That’s funny. Just the other day I was wondering what ever happened to him. For some reason, I thought this movie was so sad. Maybe in the back of my mind I was sad about the condo. haha
.-= Carmen´s last blog ..Never used to be much of a crafty gal =-.

Janell Beals November 8, 2009 at 11:06 pm

Yes, I also thought the movie was a bit hard to watch, but went crazy for the apartment. I lived in Chicago for years (in a somewhat dreadful apartment) and always dreamed of moving up to such a fabulous space!!
Love your movie posts, always say this, BUT I DO!! Janell
.-= Janell Beals´s last blog ..A Sunday Of Painting =-.

Nita Hiltner November 8, 2009 at 11:08 pm

I think places we live have souls and when people leave the place, a little of their souls are left behind.

There is a Christmas Story museum in Hammond, Indiana, and in early Dec., they open up the museum and I think the house in the movie to the public, plus alot of the actors like Peter Billingsley come. Worth checking out.

jan November 8, 2009 at 11:09 pm

You have the eye of an eagle, girl! I agree with you about the movie–I found it rather depressing also and, in fact, didn’t bother to finish it. Your critiques about the home are marvelous. You point out things that I had not noticed, and I also find myself looking at the sets rather than the actors much of the time. Great post!
.-= jan´s last blog ..This Book Makes A Statement ! =-.

Laurie @ My Domicile Style November 8, 2009 at 11:10 pm

I haven’t ever seen this one, but I like the apartment. Speaking of apartments, did you ever do What Women Want? I would die for Helen Hunt’s apartment in that movie.
.-= Laurie @ My Domicile Style´s last blog ..Friday Finds: Steals, Deals and More =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now November 8, 2009 at 11:15 pm

LOVE the built-ins!!! I’ve only seen parts of the movie…I love Vince Vaugh and Jennifer Aniston. And ohmygosh, had no idea “Ralphie Parker” was in this movie! :)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..27 Days of Thankful, #8 =-.

desiree November 9, 2009 at 12:44 am

Loved this condo. The movie was sad, but I thought the actors did a great job.
.-= desiree´s last blog ..Cape Cod Classic Keeps Charm with Enclosed Porch =-.

Mom in High Heels November 9, 2009 at 3:22 am

I didn’t like the movie at all (honestly, Vince Vaugh and Jennifer Anniston?) but that apartment is worth fighting over. I adore the columns and opening between the LR and DR. Gorgeous. Oh, the lemon part cracked me up too. ;)
.-= Mom in High Heels´s last blog ..You searching for me? =-.

Laura November 9, 2009 at 7:54 am

Really enjoy all your movie posts. Wondering if you might feature the house from The Proposal–thinking of renting the dvd so I can see the fabulous house again.

hookedonhouses November 9, 2009 at 8:04 am

Laurie–
I haven’t done a post about “What Women Want” yet, but that would be a good one. I’ll add it to my list. Thanks!

Laura–
Yes, in fact I’ve already started working on a post about “The Proposal.” Loved the house in that movie! ~Julia :-)

Debbie November 9, 2009 at 8:23 am

I have enjoyed hearing stories of your children and their antics; they grow up so fast! I am in the process of helping my “little” 28 year old son buy his first home/condo/townhouse and this gives me some great ideas for decorating! Enjoy those children!

Stephanie November 9, 2009 at 9:11 am

WOW…this is another great one..thanks Julia!
.-= Stephanie´s last blog ..Crazy Love, Destination Canvas, time spent with family =-.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints November 9, 2009 at 9:31 am

I really didn’t like this movie. Too real! But the apartment was great. Loved the kitchen with the french doors and the built in’s surrounding the fireplace. That background behind the bed was interesting too… headboard or something else??
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Kristine’s Housewarming =-.

Gerry Emery November 9, 2009 at 9:42 am

I loved this movie and loved also loved the condo. I was hoping you would feature this sometime. Great job! While watching this movie, one of the best scenes was when they were getting ready for the dinner party and Brooke was wearing that adorable apron. I got hooked on aprons after I saw it!

Meg November 9, 2009 at 10:22 am

The condo in that move is insane. Many are are gaga over it and have serious envy for it. Definetely have to have the “suspension of disbelief” to think those two could have a place like that in downtown Chicago. Otherwise I’d so be there :)

Tina November 9, 2009 at 10:30 am

Definitely worth fighting for!
Looking forward to The Proposal house. A friend lived in Manchester when it was being filmed.
.-= Tina´s last blog ..Retail therapy? =-.

Danielle @ Transforming Home November 9, 2009 at 11:17 am

Yea!! I have been waiting for this post! I love this condo – definitely one of my favorites. Also one of those DVD’s I purchased simply for the decor (you know you guys do that too!).
danielle
.-= Danielle @ Transforming Home´s last blog ..Real Life =-.

Rhianna November 9, 2009 at 12:53 pm

I loved their condo. I’ve watched this movie over and over again just to see the condo. It’s funny how you mention the artwork, because I have wondered if all those drawings were done by the same artist.
I don’t mind watching them break up, it’s very realistic.
.-= Rhianna´s last blog ..Big Trend This Season: Black Tights =-.

MissCaron November 9, 2009 at 1:03 pm

I’m so glad you posted this! That’s one of my favorite houses in a move ever!
.-= MissCaron´s last blog ..Personal Color Profile =-.

Vicki Jacoby November 9, 2009 at 6:54 pm

What a great condo! I haven’t seen the movie yet. I’ve wanted to see it… perhaps over the holidays. Thanks for the post!!
.-= Vicki Jacoby´s last blog ..Saving money or being lazy? Hmm… =-.

Bertie November 9, 2009 at 7:43 pm

Didn’t like the movie but loved the bones of that apartment! Somehow Jennifer and Vince never really “clicked” in my mind.

Rebecca November 9, 2009 at 7:49 pm

You always post the houses that I have always loved too! :) My husband and I LOVE this movie and love their apartment, too! :)
.-= Rebecca´s last blog ..Quote for the week – Little House on the Prairie =-.

suzie November 9, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Love the photos. How much do you think an apartment goes for like that in Chicago.

Maureen November 9, 2009 at 11:13 pm

My favorite part of this movie… that condo. Didn’t like the movie, and I love both actors. Just wanted to love it because I loved where they lived. Those built-ins in the living room are fabulous. And that dining room… so intimate, yet large enough to handle a crowd. Beautiful… thanks!

Nancy Hood November 10, 2009 at 1:07 am

You continue to amaze me with such great pics from the movie! and yes, it’s a condo worth fighting over!
.-= Nancy Hood´s last blog ..Oh My, Bakerella!! =-.

Lena November 10, 2009 at 7:22 am

You make GREAT picks! It’s like you know my fave movie houses nearly every time. Wonderful inspiration for home design fans.
.-= Lena´s last blog ..Gray Day Wear =-.

Angela November 10, 2009 at 10:17 am

LOVE this movie!! And the lemon scene is classic! Oh, to live in this condo?!?!

~angela @ peonypatch
.-= Angela´s last blog ..Thoughts on taking a bath ~ =-.

Cheryl November 10, 2009 at 7:09 pm

Has anyone else noticed that most on-screen kitchens have white, glass-front cabinets? Is it because they photograph better on camera, perhaps making the kitchen look bigger and brighter? I’ve been noticing this trend for several years, but I’m not complaining, that’s my favorite cabinet style! :)

laura @ the shorehouse November 13, 2009 at 3:05 am

I just recently watched this on a plane that had the little screen on the back of the seat in front of you (so you could choose your own movie). Hated the movie…but kept rewinding to see the apartment. :-)
.-= laura @ the shorehouse´s last blog ..Tea for two. Or more. =-.

Jenny November 13, 2009 at 4:53 pm

http://www.styleathome.com featured this condo and says that the closest color to the living room walls in this movie would be Benjamin Moore’s Brandon Beige CC-530. It has a muddy undertone that works great for displaying abstract artwork.

Amanda Record November 15, 2009 at 1:40 am

God I loved the movie! It really hit home for I’ve had so many of those same fights with my ex-boyfriend. But I guess if you’ve never been in a relationship like that it just seems sad. Thanks for this post. Since I’m such a fan of the movie the more times I watch it the more I fall in love with the decor. I would never think of putting all the pieces together but it works so well.
.-= Amanda Record´s last blog .. =-.

Lisa@DestinationSeaborn January 10, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Hi Julia,

I saw this apt on another blog and remembered you had more pics. I just purchased some mid-century chairs that I would like to re-upholster. Just looking for some inspiration. Thanks for posting!
.-= Lisa@DestinationSeaborn´s last blog ..An Angelversary =-.

Kiki Nakita February 24, 2010 at 4:07 am

The kitchen tile was from Ann Sacks in Seattle, WA, but made in a factory in Spokane, WA. We did a tour of the tile factory that had it’s ‘claim to fame’ in 2007.

Christina June 22, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I loved the movie and I can truly say I understand what everyone was stating about how it was painful to watch their relationship.. That was one heck of a mess. You see them both going out of their way to put each other through emotional turmoil. Gary, (Vince Vaughn’s character), made the place into an awful, sloppy, dorm looking wreck. That alone was painful to watch. I can see that Brook, (Jennifer’s character), had great taste and she was the person who put the really geat decor in that apartment. He should have left and just bought her portion out. It was a great apartment and I would have fought hard to keep it.. Love the kitchen, the dining and living room area..and know Gary’s character doesn’t seem like he would have any interest in decor such as Brooke. He continued on about that pool table, which in an apartment that doesn’t have that kind of room, looked out of place and we all know he did it to anger her. She works for an art gallery and it reminds me so much of Charlotte, the character from “Sex and The City” who also worked at an art gallery and had great taste in redoing the Park Avenue apt that she and Trey shared. Men, not all, but a great deal I know, can really wreck a place… a shame, the men friends I have, have had horror of all horrors the messiest, worst, awful places I have ever seen and can’t take a moment to even clean a place! That is so distasteful. What’s up with that? Okay… loved the apt photos!!

Christina June 22, 2011 at 7:34 pm

error: Great decor.. whoops

Annika July 8, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Hi, does anyone know what lamp that is in her master bedroom on her night table?

Judith September 12, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Just watched this movie and came right to this site to find out if it was listed. Thanks! fun to read about this great apartment and the artist.

{ 3 trackbacks }