“The Break-Up:” A Condo Worth Fighting For

"The Break-Up" movie apartment sets behind the scenes | hookedonhouses.net

The Break-Up, starring Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston, was the anti-romantic comedy. Instead of following a couple in the process of falling in love, we watched a relationship fall apart.

"The Break-Up" movie apartment sets

Gary and Brooke share a fabulous condo in Chicago that becomes a battleground after they break up. Neither of them wants to move out, and we can hardly blame them.

entry door

Brooke works in an art gallery and is an artist herself. The apartment is filled with sketches and paintings, many of which are actually the work of Francine Turk. A reader sent me some behind-the-scenes set photos that give us a better look at the art in the entry hall:

entry hall

Jason Bateman plays their Realtor friend who encourages them to go ahead and sell the condo when it’s clear that they aren’t going to get back together:

"The Break-Up" movie apartment set design | hookedonhouses.net

The next two photos were taken behind the scenes of the living room set:

Behind the scenes on the set of "The Break-Up"

Living room on the set of the movie "The Break-Up"

Here’s how the living room looked onscreen, which really shows the difference that lighting can make:

"The Break-Up" movie apartment set design | hookedonhouses.net

Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston in "The Break-Up" movie

They’re getting ready to host a party in the apartment and Brooke complains that Gary brought her only 3 lemons when she needed 12 for the centerpiece. “So no one is actually eating them?” he asks. “They’re just show lemons?”

"The Break-Up" movie kitchen

Vince Vaughn in The Break-Up movie

"The Break-Up" movie dining room

A couple of set photos of the dining room show what it looked like behind the scenes:

Set photo of dining room from "The Break-Up" movie

"The Break-Up" movie apartment behind the scenes set photo of dining room

When Brooke’s at work one day, Gary replaces the dining table with a pool table:

"The Break-Up" movie apartment

Set decorators Daniel Clancy and Stephanie Gilliam were the ones tasked with creating an apartment worth fighting over.

"The Break-Up" movie condo sets

One of the final scenes has Brooke and Gary moving out of the condo and saying goodbye. Frankly, I was more sad to see Brooke lose this place than to see her lose her boyfriend. 😉

Julia-simple-teal-signature2

P.S. Visit Houses Onscreen to see more, including…

Hope Floats house in Smithville Texas

Howards End London House exterior
I already showed you the ivy-covered cottage from the classic Merchant-Ivory film Howards End. Today we're taking a look at another property from the movie:…
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
When I was growing up, my mom and I used to watch old movies together on Saturday afternoons, and we loved anything with Cary Grant in…

Comments

What a fabulous apartment! I wouldn’t want to give it up either. I enjoyed the movie the first time around, but don’t feel the need to see it again – a little too depressing.

Really enjoy this series, by the way.
    .-= micah´s last blog ..Kitchen Update: IT’S DONE!!! =-.

2. Kim says

I really for some reason, didn’t like this movie. They did a really good job with it it’s just that, their whole relationship, was so painful to watch.

I’m usually not an apartment or condo person, but this condo I love. The whole detail and layout is so incredible. Thanks for posting this!

3. clustres says

Thanks! I have been waiting for you to do this condo. I loved it in the movie!

4. E. George says

Hi Julia as usual you keep us entertained – I have watched the movie twice – first time I have to admit my sister made me – 2nd time by choice it was sad but the condo WOW I wouldn’t want to move either. Regards Esther.

I did NOT know that was the kid from A Christmas Story. That’s funny. Just the other day I was wondering what ever happened to him. For some reason, I thought this movie was so sad. Maybe in the back of my mind I was sad about the condo. haha
    .-= Carmen´s last blog ..Never used to be much of a crafty gal =-.

Yes, I also thought the movie was a bit hard to watch, but went crazy for the apartment. I lived in Chicago for years (in a somewhat dreadful apartment) and always dreamed of moving up to such a fabulous space!!
    Love your movie posts, always say this, BUT I DO!! Janell
    .-= Janell Beals´s last blog ..A Sunday Of Painting =-.

7. Nita Hiltner says

I think places we live have souls and when people leave the place, a little of their souls are left behind.

There is a Christmas Story museum in Hammond, Indiana, and in early Dec., they open up the museum and I think the house in the movie to the public, plus alot of the actors like Peter Billingsley come. Worth checking out.

You have the eye of an eagle, girl! I agree with you about the movie–I found it rather depressing also and, in fact, didn’t bother to finish it. Your critiques about the home are marvelous. You point out things that I had not noticed, and I also find myself looking at the sets rather than the actors much of the time. Great post!
    .-= jan´s last blog ..This Book Makes A Statement ! =-.

I didn’t like the movie at all (honestly, Vince Vaugh and Jennifer Anniston?) but that apartment is worth fighting over. I adore the columns and opening between the LR and DR. Gorgeous. Oh, the lemon part cracked me up too. 😉
    .-= Mom in High Heels´s last blog ..You searching for me? =-.

10. Laura says

Really enjoy all your movie posts. Wondering if you might feature the house from The Proposal–thinking of renting the dvd so I can see the fabulous house again.

11. hookedonhouses says

Laurie–
    I haven’t done a post about “What Women Want” yet, but that would be a good one. I’ll add it to my list. Thanks!

Laura–
    Yes, in fact I’ve already started working on a post about “The Proposal.” Loved the house in that movie! ~Julia :-)

I have enjoyed hearing stories of your children and their antics; they grow up so fast! I am in the process of helping my “little” 28 year old son buy his first home/condo/townhouse and this gives me some great ideas for decorating! Enjoy those children!

I really didn’t like this movie. Too real! But the apartment was great. Loved the kitchen with the french doors and the built in’s surrounding the fireplace. That background behind the bed was interesting too… headboard or something else??
    .-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Kristine’s Housewarming =-.

14. Gerry Emery says

I loved this movie and loved also loved the condo. I was hoping you would feature this sometime. Great job! While watching this movie, one of the best scenes was when they were getting ready for the dinner party and Brooke was wearing that adorable apron. I got hooked on aprons after I saw it!

15. Meg says

The condo in that move is insane. Many are are gaga over it and have serious envy for it. Definetely have to have the “suspension of disbelief” to think those two could have a place like that in downtown Chicago. Otherwise I’d so be there :)

Definitely worth fighting for!
    Looking forward to The Proposal house. A friend lived in Manchester when it was being filmed.
    .-= Tina´s last blog ..Retail therapy? =-.

Yea!! I have been waiting for this post! I love this condo – definitely one of my favorites. Also one of those DVD’s I purchased simply for the decor (you know you guys do that too!).
    danielle
    .-= Danielle @ Transforming Home´s last blog ..Real Life =-.

I loved their condo. I’ve watched this movie over and over again just to see the condo. It’s funny how you mention the artwork, because I have wondered if all those drawings were done by the same artist.
    I don’t mind watching them break up, it’s very realistic.
    .-= Rhianna´s last blog ..Big Trend This Season: Black Tights =-.

Didn’t like the movie but loved the bones of that apartment! Somehow Jennifer and Vince never really “clicked” in my mind.

20. suzie says

Love the photos. How much do you think an apartment goes for like that in Chicago.

My favorite part of this movie… that condo. Didn’t like the movie, and I love both actors. Just wanted to love it because I loved where they lived. Those built-ins in the living room are fabulous. And that dining room… so intimate, yet large enough to handle a crowd. Beautiful… thanks!

You make GREAT picks! It’s like you know my fave movie houses nearly every time. Wonderful inspiration for home design fans.
    .-= Lena´s last blog ..Gray Day Wear =-.

23. Cheryl says

Has anyone else noticed that most on-screen kitchens have white, glass-front cabinets? Is it because they photograph better on camera, perhaps making the kitchen look bigger and brighter? I’ve been noticing this trend for several years, but I’m not complaining, that’s my favorite cabinet style! :)

I just recently watched this on a plane that had the little screen on the back of the seat in front of you (so you could choose your own movie). Hated the movie…but kept rewinding to see the apartment. :-)
    .-= laura @ the shorehouse´s last blog ..Tea for two. Or more. =-.

25. Jenny says

http://www.styleathome.com featured this condo and says that the closest color to the living room walls in this movie would be Benjamin Moore’s Brandon Beige CC-530. It has a muddy undertone that works great for displaying abstract artwork.

God I loved the movie! It really hit home for I’ve had so many of those same fights with my ex-boyfriend. But I guess if you’ve never been in a relationship like that it just seems sad. Thanks for this post. Since I’m such a fan of the movie the more times I watch it the more I fall in love with the decor. I would never think of putting all the pieces together but it works so well.
    .-= Amanda Record´s last blog .. =-.

Hi Julia,

I saw this apt on another blog and remembered you had more pics. I just purchased some mid-century chairs that I would like to re-upholster. Just looking for some inspiration. Thanks for posting!
    .-= Lisa@DestinationSeaborn´s last blog ..An Angelversary =-.

The kitchen tile was from Ann Sacks in Seattle, WA, but made in a factory in Spokane, WA. We did a tour of the tile factory that had it’s ‘claim to fame’ in 2007.

29. Christina says

I loved the movie and I can truly say I understand what everyone was stating about how it was painful to watch their relationship.. That was one heck of a mess. You see them both going out of their way to put each other through emotional turmoil. Gary, (Vince Vaughn’s character), made the place into an awful, sloppy, dorm looking wreck. That alone was painful to watch. I can see that Brook, (Jennifer’s character), had great taste and she was the person who put the really geat decor in that apartment. He should have left and just bought her portion out. It was a great apartment and I would have fought hard to keep it.. Love the kitchen, the dining and living room area..and know Gary’s character doesn’t seem like he would have any interest in decor such as Brooke. He continued on about that pool table, which in an apartment that doesn’t have that kind of room, looked out of place and we all know he did it to anger her. She works for an art gallery and it reminds me so much of Charlotte, the character from “Sex and The City” who also worked at an art gallery and had great taste in redoing the Park Avenue apt that she and Trey shared. Men, not all, but a great deal I know, can really wreck a place… a shame, the men friends I have, have had horror of all horrors the messiest, worst, awful places I have ever seen and can’t take a moment to even clean a place! That is so distasteful. What’s up with that? Okay… loved the apt photos!!

30. Annika says

Hi, does anyone know what lamp that is in her master bedroom on her night table?

31. Judith says

Just watched this movie and came right to this site to find out if it was listed. Thanks! fun to read about this great apartment and the artist.