The Beach House in “Something’s Gotta Give”

Something's Gotta Give beach house photos

When a friend took me to see Something’s Gotta Give on the big screen, I knew it was a Diane Keaton-Jack Nicholson romantic comedy. What I didn’t expect was to fall in love with the Hamptons beach house Keaton’s character lives in. I went back to see it again a week later, just to get a better look at that house.

Something's Gotta Give beach house

The exterior is a real house somewhere in the Hamptons, but the interiors were all created on a soundstage.

The house was featured in Architectural Digest, which provided us with some great photos of the what the sets looked like when they weren’t filming on them (photography by Bob Marshak):

The movie was written by Nancy Meyers, who has had her hand in other great “house movies” I’ve featured, including The Parent Trap and Father of the Bride.

Something's Gotta Give in Architectural Dig

The Production Design was done by Jon Hutman (who also worked on The Holiday), and the Set Decoration was by Beth Rubino (It’s Complicated).

Erica and Harry (Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson) in the living room at night–meeting up for a “pajama party:”

Don’t even ask what paint colors were used (I have already been flooded with e-mails on the topic). Set Decorator Beth Rubino says they were custom-mixed colors that were designed to look good on screen. The lighting is different on a set than it is in a house, so even we used the same paint, she says, it wouldn’t look the same.

We were building our house when this movie came out. Thanks to Something’s Gotta Give, I’ve got a kitchen with white cabinets, black countertops, and dark floors.

The counters were just MDF painted to look like soapstone for the movie, but it started a huge trend. Suddenly everyone wanted soapstone!

As a writer who works from home myself, I swooned over Erica Barry’s writing nook at the end of her bedroom:

Diane Keaton was nominated for Best Actress for this role at the 2004 Oscars and won a Golden Globe.

The pool as photographed for Architectural Digest (above), and a production shot that shows how the pool and fake exterior really looks on set (below):

Jon Hutman received an Oscar nomination for Production Design because of this now-iconic movie house.

Is this one of your favorite movie houses, too?

Julia signature 6

P.S. Visit Houses Onscreen to see more, including…

Father of the Bride house

The “Father of the Bride” House

Comments

1. Rebecca says

Sigh….I love this house to. Thanks for this awesome post!

Love the house, loved the movie. Harry’s Townhouse isn’t chopped liver either!

Great fun to see these movie set photos ea. Monday! Hope Lily’s birthday was terrific?!

This one of my favorites. I bought the movie just to see the house over and over. Thanks you made my day!

I need to get one of those standing clocks. I’m in love with those! Also love the serene blues… I live in AZ and think if I were to redo my house in blues and tans I could shave 20 degrees off my inside temperature… just mentally of course. Thanks Julia!

PrettyOrganizer’s last blog post..I’m hosting a Talk Show!

Oh, my gosh, I absolutely adore that house. Funny, that kitchen contains all the elements of my kitchen remodel plans–white inset cabinets (uppers with glass inserts), dark countertops, vintage latches, and a farm sink! I need to check this movie out for the full kitchen scenes, but this post gave me the perfect chance to see it all come together.

Thanks, Julia! I’m a huge fan of your Movie Mondays!

bungalowbliss’s last blog post..Plaid is Bad, Wood is Good

Julia, you read my mind today. I was talking about offices off of bedrooms just like the one you posted and was struggling to find pictures somewhere. This one’s perfect and dreamy.
    Another movie I need to see! You keep my list constant and growing.
    Katie

Katie @ makingthishome.com’s last blog post..How to: Stencil on Fabric

I love Movie Mondays! Seriously, it’s one of my favorite things about Mondays because I love movies as much as houses! You are definitely not alone in your love for this house. I completely fell for it, too. And that setting! Sigh.

from the right bank’s last blog post..Cute Beach Cottage

8. Liz says

I love this house but whenever I see it I always think: more color, more books please.

I just love these posts you do on movie houses but I do believe that this may be my favorite one yet. Please keep them coming!

I loved this house! I seem to recall one room had a pale gray blue paint. I loved that color and we painted our boys’ living areas that color. But I don’t see it in these shots. Did I dream that?

Bonnie’s last blog post..Gone Fishin’

11. hookedonhouses says

Bonnie–
    I think I posted photos of all of the rooms from the movie. Can’t remember any I left out, anyway. Her bedroom looks like it could be a pale gray–it comes the closest, anyway. Could that be what you saw? -Julia

I loved this Julia. I have the pictures form AD on file and had planned to do a post about it eventually! You did a mucj better job than I would have!!

Love,
    Sue

13. Suzette says

Thank you so much for featuring that house! I love, love, love it!

What a coincidence! On Friday a friend and I were both talking about how much we both LOVE this house. She’s in the middle of decorating hers so I’ll make sure she reads your post.

This is my favourite movie home of all time. I never knew it was just a set, I always wondered what lucky person got to call it home! My kitchen is also white with dark floors and counters……it’s such a timeless look….and it’s always the room people love to be in.

Great post.

Janis@An Inspired Life’s last blog post..EAT,PRAY,LOVE

I think we all have posted pics from SGG on our blogs, I know I have too. the DR was inspiration for me painting my DR a lighter antique white color & that wall of white dishes did it for me & now I have to collect white dishes too. Love this movie!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality’s last blog post..Thrifting with Daisy Cottage

Ahhh– just as i thought a beautiful review of the house and movie.

Yes, *sigh* the best house — if we all had our dreams come true there would be alot of us living there!! :)

The music was one of my favs too!

Great job…ty!

Claudia@DipityRoad’s last blog post..Sundays songs and singing

I’ve never actually seen this movie- though I wanted to. It is absolutely beautiful. Gorgeous and unpretentious, I just love it.

Amy’s last blog post..I’m Too Excited!!!

19. Melinda says

Nooooo,(insert foot stomp) it has to be a real house! I want it!

I found you on Blissfully Domestic. I think you are my “house” soul mate:) I LOVE looking at houses and have for as far back as I can remember. As a child I would pick out the houses that I thought looked “friendly”. As I got older I’d go on drives just to look at the houses on tree lined streets. Knoxville has a Victorian Home Tour that I love to take each year in December.
    I’m so glad to find someone who has an entire blog dedicated to the house lovers of this world. Thanks so much. You rock!

Dawn’s last blog post..ADHD or The Energizer Bunnies Among Us….

Great post! I loved this house so much I felt like taking notes during the movie! I prob would have if I wasn’t obsessed with movie popcorn. Amazing to know it was a set! It literally looks like soooo many houses out East!

If you ever want to make a trip out East our door is ALWAYS open to you in Bridgehampton! It would be fun to do a “Hooked on Houses” on location! :) -Melissa

Melissa’s last blog post..Coastal Comfy

I look forward to this every week! I love every detail in this “house”! Now I can get a close look at one of my favorite houses in one of my favorite movies with two of my favorite people!!

susan’s last blog post..Metamorphosis and Blue Monday

Julia, I love that house too! I had forgotten about it until this post but you better believe I poured over every. single. photo. Thanks for all that work to capture all those shots. What a great idea!

emily’s last blog post..it all started with the barbies

I love that house!!! Makes me wanna go watch the movie again. Love your blog by the way. just found it!

I have to agree with you about this house, but especially about her office. To die for! But I think my favorite picture is the one of the bookshelves behind the two chairs in the corner…what a great spot to settle in and read!

Thanks for the photos!!! I fell in love with the house while watching the movie. By the end of the movie, I think I was watching more for the house than the actual movie. I can’t believe it was a “set”. I thought they shot in the actual house.

Every room in the house, I loved. Loved the kitchen, loved the living room, loved how they accessorized the home and absolutley LOVED the dining room.

Susie Nelson’s last blog post..Happy May Day

Oh yea — one of my favorites too. I loved her writing desk, the kitchen and the front porch. The biggest disappointment — Diane Keaton didn’t win! She was fabulous….

Lucy’s last blog post..Scrappy Pillow

I love this movie, and that house is one of the reasons. I can’t get enough of the bookcases, the kitchen, the windows, and the bedroom/office! It is gorgeous. Thanks for posting some still shots so we can really study it! Now I want to watch the movie again for sure.

stacey’s last blog post..Blue Friday

29. Linda says

There was an article in the Washington Post a couple of years ago about how much everyone loved this kitchen. They said that people were giving copies of the movie to their kitchen planners for inspiration and/or copying. Yes indeed I copied it too…and swell it is.

I’m a little late getting over to this post. I’ve had it bookmarked in my mind though because I, too, LOVE the house in this movie. DREAM HOME, love it. I even watched the movie yesterday afternoon after I saw your post on FB.

Great review! LOVE looking at all these pics! I’m even going to bookmark this post, I love it all so much! :)

Amber’s last blog post..Extreme Makeover: Me Edition

Dream house, for sure! I’ll never forget the first time I saw this movie, and swooned over this house. Put it on Cape Cod or Martha’s Vineyard, and I will have died and gone to heaven!! LOVE IT!
    And that desk, I’m not a writer, but with that view and that desk, I think I would be one!! Or else I’d become Barefoot Contessa in that kitchen!
    ~angela @ peonypatch

Angela’s last blog post..Kiddy

I never knew that wasn’t a real house! Ohhh those Hollywood Houdinis. They get us every time :).

I agree with you on this house…can’t get enough of it. In fact, why don’t I own this movie?!

AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage’s last blog post..Paint Sample Tip

33. Linda/ "Mom..." says

************** SOOOO SCRUMPDELICIOUS!!!!! Thanks!!!!!***********

Hi Julia! I am in love with this house, although I have never seen the movie! I love these features~I would love a feature on the cute house in “Bedtime Stories” with Adam Sandler. I know they don’t show much of it, but it’s so cute!

35. Lisa in Australia says

Love this house. One can imagine themselves living here unlike those huge 100 million monstrosities you often see with ugly gilded gold furniture. love the dresser with all the plates… I love so much, not sure where to start.

36. Carol Ann says

I can’t believe it was a “set”. I thought they shot in the actual house. I have been watching it trying to work out the floor plan, the space planning was fab…love the livingroom lots…so glad I found your blog…I could be here a long while…

37. sdobe says

There has to be some sort of floor plan out there. Any idea who designed the set?

38. Misty says

There’s no other house! I’m in Love! I can’t wait to transform my house into THIS!!! Minus the Beach:(

39. beaches says

I have searched everywhere; online, frame shops, books of prints; for the lighthouse picture in Somethings Gotta Give Movie using the artist’s name to no avail. Did anyone have luck finding that print?

40. beaches says

sdobe,
    Several months ago I remember seeing the floor plan. Now, if I could only remember where. Was it House Beautiful or online?…

41. Liz says

Oh my goodness! I thought I was the only one obsessed with this home! It is just so airy, clean, and draws you into the beach! Thanks for publishing this information! I hope when I get to build my dream home it will look just like this!

42. Sandy says

Thank God I am not alone, there should be a SGG House 12 step program 😉 I am searching for rugs similar to those in the house?? It is a DREAM HOUSE!!!!

When I saw the “movie mondays” link on the side and saw you showed different movie and tv houses and apartments I KNEW I would find this movie on this list! When I saw this movie with my mom, that was the first thing we said to eachother! “My god, that house was gorgeous!” Love Your Blog! :)
    .-= Christina´s last blog ..How To: Save Some Extra Cash =-.

44. Lisa T. says

Looking for the floorplan/layout for the Alvin and the Chipmunks kitchen! Any word?

45. hookedonhouses says

Lisa–
    I am planning to do a post about that house in Alvin & the Chipmunks eventually, but it probably won’t be until December or so. Sorry! -Julia

46. Marie says

Hey Julia,

I just found your site while I was looking on the internet to see if I could find out which beach they filmed Something’s Gotta Give. Do you know where it was filmed please. I LOVE that film and I think we would all love a house like that. I am lucky enough to live on the beach in England and we have sand dunes just like on the film….we feel so priviledged and I have named our house The Hamptons !

I’ll be dipping into your site from now on. Well done. It’s great.

I too have been obsessed with this house since first seeing the movie. I’ve even drawn floor plans (for my Goal Book) based on what I thought the lay-out of the house was. I was way off in my sketches! Like you I am a writer, and although I live just a block from Lake Michigan, I visualize myself creating daily from my “writing room” that looks out over Lake Michigan, in a room just like this. I’ve got to order the issue of Architectural Digest that contains these photos! Thanks so much for posting all this information. I thought I was alone in my obsession!
    .-= Liz DeLaRossa´s last blog ..Revisiting a Common Theme =-.

48. Tonya Overal says

Is it too late to add my comments?? Seeing this house is a little depressing for me as I love it sooooo much!! My husband is dreading coming home ‘cos he knows I have big plans to bulldoze the interior walls.(I-MUST-HAVE-THAT-KITCHEN-OR-I-WILL-DIE)
    And as for taking notes during the movie, well I have a little note book jammed FULL of drawings,scribbles and notes,swatches,sea shells stuck to the pages etc..I keep pausing during re-plays of the dvd, zoom in , just to get every last detail.Remember: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

49. Kathy says

I love the beach house. I’ve trying to find some of the artwork from the movie, especially the beach scene in the living room. I think it’s called rockaway beach. I can’t find anything. Can anyone help?

50. Elisha says

Who knew I wasn’t the only person obsessed with this house. I have the DVD (with the bonus house tour of course) and I paused it and took a picture of the screen during an exterior shot and that is the background on my BlackBerry….yikes, nuts right? Thanks for posting all the great pictures. Talk about hooked on houses, I actually got a real estate license years ago…just so I could see more houses. 😉 This is a great site, I’ll be back I’m sure.

51. Bella Inautunno says

I googled “Something Gotta Give Kitchen Design” and landed here! I feel like I’ve been in a foreign country without a translator and now….poof… I suddenly can speak the native tongue! How refreshing! I’m in a kitchen redo – do you have any feedback on height of upper cabinets? In “Somethings Gotta Give” and Nora’s house in “Brothers and Sisters”, both appear to be hung quite high. I have 11′ ceilings in kitchen so I’m flexible. THANK YOU – THIS IS LOVELY!

52. Tonya says

I realized that after the second time watching this movie, I was only watching it to see the interior of that house! (I still cry at Harry’s line near the end of the movie when he tells Erica that his life “just got made”.) Thank you for your pics and site! I stumbled across it referencing Twelve Oaks!

53. taydev says

I BOUGHT this movie ONLY to view the home! LOL! This is my Hamptons beach dream home, every single detail of it and I’m not suprised that many like myself, are obsessed with this set. The kitchen had me first and then the master bedroom/home office. So warm, cozy, quaint, and simple! A cozy family home does more for me than gold embosses columns/pillars, marble floors, crystal chendeliers etc, etc. I home that is comfy and actually LIVED in is always best! Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to watch this movie….

54. DreamerLady says

OMG!!!! I would’ve never believed that this house was just a set. I TOTALLY LOVE THIS HOUSE. I just watched the movie last night over and over just wanting to keep seeing the inside of the house til today when something prompted me to google ‘beach in the movie somethings gotta give’, and God Bless You. This is my dream home and i just love it and this site. THANK YOU! Now if you can somehow find a way to put an index to all the decorations on your site, we’d be much obliged.

55. Suzanne Lambert says

I’m so glad to learn I am not alone here. I’m an architect and have recently had to learn a new drafting program called Revit to keep up with the standards of my industry. Since I was learning it on my own in my spare time I decided to load the plan of the “Something’s Gotta Give” house and model it in 3D. I have watched this movie over and over again, not only for the wonderful story of hope it gives me, being a single girl over forty; but for the wonderful carefree interiors that were showcased. I’d like to imagine myself in a home like this one some day, for now I am in a town house, so in the meantime I live in it virtually while I practice my new 3D program.

As you probably already know and I was surprised to learn, the house in the movie is actually a soundstage in Hollywood. During filming, the weather did not permit the appropriate lighting to be on location so it just goes to show you that this entire look can be recreated all the way 3,000 miles away in California. I’ve done the same as you…stopped the DVD and sketched the floor plan. I so curious about what happens upstairs, but for my own project I have extrapolated to keep things interesting. Please post if you have any information about the original house and the architect of record.

I live in Charlotte, NC and can attest that this style is alive and well in the South. Easy and earthy. Every piece and stick of furniture looks to be collected from tag sales we frequent from Charleston to Lexington.

I absolutely love your site and blog and will be checking in to see what is new in the future.

Best regards,

Suzanne Lambert

56. Christy says

We should always remember that any movie that stars Diane Keaton will have an impeccable home…ie, Father of the Bride, Baby Boom, and Something’s Gotta Give. I just love her style. Classic.

57. Sandy Mohler says

ohmygosh — was amazed to see this site! I, too, absolutely LOVE Keaton’s home in Something’s . . . . ! In fact, I’m remodeling my master suite and rented the movie yet again just so that I could pay extra attention to the design/decor details of her home! It’s almost completed and I feel like I’ve gotten pretty close. Also loved Streep’s home in Complicated. Fabulous all!

58. Terry says

I have been obsessed with this house for years. I have it on my DVR and watch it at least once a week. No one yet has asked about the lamp with the “silver” shade in the bedroom. I have seen similar shades in designer rooms but cannot find them ANYWHERE. I have looked all over the web to no avail. Can anyone help?

• Lane says

I too am obsessed with this movie. I’ve watched it so many times,even pausing to take in every detail of the rooms,I can practically recite the dialog before the actors. After first watching it the first time, one of the things that caught my eye was the silver shade candlestick lamp in the bedroom,(I think there are two shown actually)I’ve searched for several years trying to find out where or if it is available for purchase.I decided to try once again,when I came upon your blog asking about the lamp also.I must admit I too am surprised no one else has ever mentioned it.It looks like one of those rare antipue finds.It’s now 2011 & I’m still searching…..did you have any luck? I’d love to know.

59. Peggy says

I thought I was the only one who owned “Something’s Gotta” so that I can watch it over and over and over to memorize more features of the house. I saw “It’s Complicated” yesterday and want Nancy Meyer’s set designers to design my house. I googled “Pictures from It’s Complicated” and then took a stab at “Something’s Gotta – Pix” and came to your blog. I am so glad to have these pictures and ideas for my house. Would appreacite any feedback or other tips on where to find “Something’s Gotta” style and stuff.

60. hookedonhouses says

Peggy–
    Did you see the links at the end of the post? Those should be a good start! -Julia :-)

61. Sam Fleming says

I can’t believe there are other people as taken with these sets as I am. It makes one aware of how much thought goes in to such a design. I do wish there were some way to get a better look at and more information about the art on the walls though. I am especially interested in the sunbather in the living room…

Also, have you seen Death at a Funeral? I love English style and the feeling it evokes, and I particularly love the exterior and living room in this movie.

Thanks!

62. tonya overal says

Yes Terry, I too covet that lamp with the funny little silver hoop/handle thingy and silver shade.
    I have looked everywhere(short of emailing Beth Rubino!)
    Can anyone out there help us?
    WE MUST HAVE THAT LAMP!!!!!

63. Hamtonitegal says

I love this movie so much. I watched this movie literally because of that stunning house, the elegant Diane, love Frances McDormand and of course Jack. Gotta love Jack. He’s amazing. This movie was pure class. Nancy Meyer’s movies are always fabulous. She really has the gift of knowing what presence in film is. The home is gorgeous. I still can’t believe it’s a set. What a gorgeous home! I made lots of notes on my dream home and believe me, oh so close. It’s gorgeous! I had to watch the movie 8 times at least, maybe more. The Paris scene, the part of a younger doctor just adoring her. The thought that you could make a man that was nothing but a complete playboy into a married in love man. She got to him. She stated, you’re the only person who really get’s me. Fantastic movie, love it, gorgeous scenery. Perfection!!!!

64. Georgia Fontaine says

Does anyone have a floor plan of the SGG House?

65. Phyllis Aplin says

Please tell me if there is a floor plan…I know its just a set but is there a floor plan for the set. My husband is a homebuilder and I just saw the movie, I LOVE this house! If anyone can help with fllor plan info please do tell.

• hookedonhouses says

If I had a floorplan for this house, I’d publish it, I promise! I get requests for it almost every single day. If anyone has worked one out, send it to me, please. -Julia :-)

Thanks so much for posting this! Your website was the first result in a search for this kitchen and your pics and replication are fantastic.

Julie, Im drooling! Do you know the color on the walls in the master bedroom? I’ve found my inspiration! thank you!

• Jodi says

I am looking for the bedroom paint color as well. Have you found it?

• hookedonhouses says

The paint colors were all specially mixed for these sets for the movie. The designer says paint colors for film are different than in real life so it wouldn’t look right even if we could duplicate them. Just use them as inspiration. -Julia

68. Heather Brown says

I was wondering….do you know who was the artist for the paintings in this movie? We are redoing our beach house and I would love to find out the artist….
    great blog.
    thanks,
    Heather

69. KBonzo says

I’m in LOVE with this house!!! I’m always asking people if they saw this movie and are they in love with the house like I am ( most look at me like I’m crazy and say they don’t know what I’m talking about ) I’m in the middle of building a house and I watch this movie all the time to get ideas. I’m trying to do all of my color the same, I just love the fresh, clean and open feel that this house has. Thanks so much for the pictures

70. Jared says

Hey Julie! Totally hooked on houses here and totally hooked on your blog. Since the moment I saw this Hamptons beach house I became obsessed! I did a little investigating and the house they used for the frontal exterior shots is on Meadow Ln. in Southampton NY, don’t know if I should disclose the actual address lol, but its just two doors down from Calvin Klein’s mega mansion! Zillow.com claims it is over 7,000 square feet with 7 bedrooms and 11 bathrooms!

71. Lupe says

Dreaming of this house on occasion. Googled it on a whim…Who knew I would find it! THIS is my dream house….

I love the retro look and that’s just about all that I’ve been painting for the past 4 years. Check it out at my website.

Well, i googled the words in “beach house in somethings gotta give” thinking I may get someone else saying the loved the house and perhaps, where it was located. I absolutely LOVE THIS HOUSE, actually… my dream is to build something like this one day. Thanks for Sharing… awesome!
    .-= Miko Holt´s last blog ..Quote on Life =-.

74. Penny says

I didn’t think I’d even be able to find pics of this house on line–what a pleasant surprise to see how many others adore this house!! I have a tiny 1,500 sq. foot home but I am determined to make it look as much like this “dream” house as possible!! Thanks for the pics!

75. erick says

i bought this great movie one week ago and i love 2 know whos the painter or creator or the name of the harry’s townhouse bedroom paint???

by the way thank u so much

• hookedonhouses says

Paint colors for movie sets are generally mixed with the set lighting in mind, so they would look different in a regular home. -Julia

76. Elisha says

This is THE house I’m most obsessed with. Not only do I have all of these pictures already in my “Something’s Gotta Give house” photo folder on my hard drive, I have the movie (with all the extras including house tour), but the first picture is my screen saver on my phone.

I have been looking for a Swedish tall clock similar to the one in the living room, I already have a cute side table like the one in Erica’s bedroom AND the same Simon Pierce glassware from the dining room scene (though I’ve had that for years).

Am I crazy or what? :-)

• Jocelyn says

I read an article with Jon Hutman that said it’s actually painted wood made to look like Soapstone. I never would have guessed!

77. Jocelyn says

I watched this movie twice last night just to drool over the house. I can never get enough! I watch it every time it’s on TV. I have a sick obsession with this house lol.

78. Silvester says

………………I bought today that movie. The house is really a dream. But i need some H E L P please. At the entrance, when Diane drives to the house, gets in, and the nurse is sending away from Jack, what is that for a painting? Looks like a “beach art deco” painting with a brown-red chair, like on a sunroof, or something. Please help me, maybe someone knows, who was painting this. my email: diemucha@gmx.net

Please, PLEASE, i would die for that………. i need that in my appartment……

greetings and kisses, Silvester :-)

79. KristinS says

This house is REAL and located in South Hampton. I lived in New York City for over five years, and accompanied a family I was nannying for to South Hampton during summer of 2008. We went to visit friends of theirs, and as we pulled up to the gate, I couldn’t help wondering where I had seen the house. Sure enough, when chatting with their friends, I mentioned how familiar feeling their house was. They mentioned Somethings Gotta Give being filmed there & meeting Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson. House is just as amazing in reality as on screen. Although the film interior scenes were built on a soundstage, the real interiors are just as wonderful! :)

80. cari k says

I just watched this move again over the weekend ! I have to say this house never gets tired for me ! it still looks as good as it did when the movie came out !! So Classic I absolutely love everything about it

81. Divacd says

One of my favorite movies because of Keanu Reeves but also the house. I think the house is what makes me love this movie even more. I am going to use it for inspiration when I go to decorate my new house! Thanks for posting all these helpful pics! :)

82. Claire says

Thanks for this! I have been obsessed with this house since the movie came out. We will be building soon and I am definitely inspired by this house.

83. Amy says

I am procrastinating today and thought I would once more look for a silver lamp on line in an attempt to find the lovely lamp in Erica’s alcove in Something’s Gotta Give. I stumbled on this site and found two pictures of it, for which I am grateful. Can anyone provide information/clues/whatever on the lamp? I have been looking for it or one similar to it since the movie came out. Thank you very much!

This house is the stuff of my dreams!! Thank you for the amazing pictures – I too have been completely obsessed with this house and it’s gorgeous classic style since seeing the movie. In fact it has been the style – and name inspiration for my online homewares business ‘The Hamptons House’ – http://www.thehamptonshouse.com.au/.

I especially love the pic of the living room during the storm – the white French doors and cream sofas… aahhhhh :-) This home is AMAZING. I have also loved other Nancy Meyers films for the homes – I grew up loving the home in ‘Father of the Bride’. Stunning!

85. DebraB says

Would anyone out there know which 3 fabrics were used for the pillows on the living room sofa? Am desperate to find out! Thank you, thank you!

86. James Boykin says

The kitchen looks a lot like a house I built in Rosemary Beach around 2001/2002.
    Here are some pics. http://www.luxist.com/2007/05/01/rosemary-beach-estate-of-the-day/1#c4780431
    Its called the Pitot house.
    The Pitot house is also featured in the March/April 2006 issue of Veranda magazine.
    The trim and cabinet color is Sherwin Williams white 747 semi gloss.
    Countertop is unhoned black granite. Looks great but can stain because of no sealer. Very flat finish is what makes the look unique?
    Most of the door and cabinet H/ware is Baldwin dark bronze. The latches are reclaimed iron from salvage place in New Orleans. They have them by the barrel full and very inexpensive.
    The cooktop is Wolf. The hood is custom from a shop in Texas.
    The wall tiles were 3×6 from Brooklyn tile co. Same as in the movie except the Pitot house used them in the bath instead of kitchen.
    The owner had another house in the Hamptons. Hmmm.
    The Architect was Domin/Bock. http://www.dominbock.com/index.html
    I believe they are listed at Rosemarybeach.com They can answer your questions about the home.

Oh my gosh… all I could think about while watching this movie was…. that’s my dream house! Thanks for the post!

I absolutely love this house!! im watching the movie right now and decided to “try” to look “the house from…” and this website was the first to pull up and i cant believe that so many others feel the same way about this house as i do!! omG amazing simply amazing! i will be buying a house here in the near future and am going to replica the look of that house.

89. robin b from engand says

the living room rug is from THE RUG LOFT in New York City and is made from several sewn together.
    for inspiring kitchens look at CHALON from the uk , I think they may have a show room in NYC
    does anybody know what the curtains are made from ? linen perhaps, also the rug in Erica’s bedroom, where could I buy one,
    when I finally renovate my house I shall base my ideas on this house because it is 600 years old so would look fantastic in an old property too because of the timeless feel it gives,

It is such a joy to get on a website with like thinkers!! I too have thought about that house since I first saw the movie. After a bad breakup, I watched it 24/7 until I got through it!
    Thanks for all the advice on how to create a similiar one. My dream is to being sitting at that desk and writing. I just printed off pictures to put on my dream board.
    Wish me luck!
    P.S. robin b from engand …You go girl!! I am happy for you and am trying not to be jealous..lol

I loved this house, inside and outside, from the moment I spotted it in the movie. I saw the movie for the first time on TV, rather than in the theater, so I was able to hit pause and rewind a few times to check out the house details. I love the soft colors and upscale beach house vibe. Oh, and the white kitchen. Loves.

92. trudy cleland says

We are thinking of building on our cottage lot and this house is close to what we want. Is there some way I can find out the house plan number? Thanks.

Before I saw this blog, but not too long ago we aw that movie again and I actually Googled to try to find the picture of the lighthouse. I just think this house would be move-in perfect for me, I wouldn’t change a thing. I really would like to slipcover some dining chairs like that, makes them look shapely and flirty! LOve it!

94. PAMELA says

Hi Pamela,
    I wanted to show you the bedroom in this movie.
    This is how yours could look!
    She has a covered headboard and a chaise.
    I also love her chair with nailheads.
    Very cute.
    Let me know what you think.

95. shelby says

I LOVE THAT KITCHEN!!!!!! I would spend all day either cooking, or reading in that gorgeous living room.

This is probably my favorite movie house ever! I didn’t know that so many others felt the same way, but I’m not surprised because wow, what a great house. Thanks for posting the pictures of it and giving a little background-very interesting!

97. Beth says

I just read an article in a magazine in which Diane Keaton said her all-time favorite kitchen in the one in her movie “Somethings Gotta Give”! I agree and have obsessed over this house since the movie’s debut!

• Judith says

Beth, I read that same article regarding Diane Keaton and the kitchen in Something’s.” She also noted that women come up to her all of the time and mention how much they love the kitchen.

What I love about this house and the decor is the use of white with the black accents. The black and white is also used in Keaton’s wardrobe and the beach glass they find together. The dishes against the white wall are so beautiful. Top of the heap!

98. Ben says

Hi,

I had a rug made exactly like the one in the movie ‘Somethings Gotta Give with Jack Nicholson & Diane Keaton. I have never used it and it is new. We had it made for a house we never moved into so it has just stayed in storage. It is a 12ft by 18ft large Dhurry Handmade rug. Its giant & 100% cotton flatweave and exactly made and inspired by the movie Something’s Gotta Give.

It is absolutely gorgeous! I am looking to sell it as unfortunately it is just too big for where we live. I was wondering if any of you are interested? Or anyone you know. I live in the UK but will arrange postage with anyone who is interested and keep the price as economical as possible. Please let me know if any of you are interested here is my email address and I am happy to send any of you pictures: bencaring@hotmail.com

I look forward to hearing from you,

Kind Regards,

Ben

Here are some further details:

· Pile height (in.) : 0.50

· Product Length (in.) : 216.0 in

· Product Thickness (in.) : 0.50 in

· Product Width (in.) : 144.0 in

· Recycled Materials (%) : 0.0

. Item Weight : 65Kg

99. Kim says

Does anyone know what sheets they used in the master bedroom? In that scene where Harry is “trying to sleep” with Erica, the sheets look so comfortable and luxurious. I’d love to own sheets like that! :-)

100. Meg says

I knew I wanted to decorate my home office just like the Something’s Gotta Give house, and was at the fabric store trying to get the colors right from memory. On a whim, I googled and I found your blog. Thank you!