“The Family Stone:” Home for the Holidays

by hookedonhouses on December 10, 2008

The Family Stone movie white house in snow

Several  Christmases ago, I went with a couple of friends to see The Family Stone soon after it hit theaters. The movie had gotten mixed reviews, but we liked it. Would I have enjoyed it as much if it hadn’t taken place in this beautiful old house, however? Probably not!

The Family Stone movie house Diane Keaton Christmas tree

The Family Stone is about a family gathering at Christmas. There are five grown children, and Everett (Dermot Mulroney) is bringing his girlfriend Meredith (Sarah Jessica Parker) home to meet everybody for the first time. The casual, fun-loving, close-knit family takes an immediate dislike to uptight Meredith, who wouldn’t know a sense of humor if it knocked her across her tightly-coiffed head.

The Family Stone movie house family gathers

Hilarity, family bonding, and an unexpected romance between Meredith and Everett’s brother Ben ensue. Oh, and someone knows this is her last Christmas and dies before the end. I dare you not to mist up a little bit.

I like this shot of the hallway because you can see all the family photos.

The Kitchen:

vlcsnap-15039

The set designer says she carefully chose every photo for the fridge to make it look like a real family lived there.

The set designer says she carefully chose every magnet and photo for the fridge to make it look like a real family lived there.

When Diane Keaton saw the interior of the house for the first time, she says she thought it was “disgusting.” She couldn’t stand all the clutter “and all of the stuff everywhere.” But she admitted that it suited the family’s personality: “For them it was perfect.” The set designers were careful about every little detail, down to the magnets on the fridge.

Diane Keaton's character Sybil had a table she used as a desk in the kitchen.

Sybil has a desk in the kitchen. It’s truly her domain:

The Family Stone movie Diane Keaton red Mac

You can see the brick wall of the kitchen from this angle.

Elizabeth Reaser (the matriarch of the Cullen family in Twilight–you can see my post about it here) played the nice sister.

Elizabeth Reaser ("Ava" on "Grey's Anatomy") played the nice sister.

The Dining Room:

The dining room at night.

Everett’s room, which is much neater and cleaner than the others in the house and matches his buttoned-up personality.

The Family Stone movie Sarah Jessica Parker Dermot Mulroney

Everett's room.

The Parents’ Bedroom:

The parents' bedroom.

Amy’s Attic Bedroom:

Amy's attic bedroom.

The Family Room:

You can see the built-in bookshelves in the living room in this scene.

Charades. I like how you can see into the hall and living room from this angle.

The Family Stone movie fireplace

A reader tells me, “The real house they used for the exteriors is in Riverside, CT (postal district in Greenwich) on Riverside Ave at Club Rd on the southwest corner of the intersection. And the snow was real. They didn’t need the snow machines the crew had brought in!” Thanks, Kathy!

The Family Stone movie house in the snow side door

Visit my Houses Onscreen page to see more, including another Diane Keaton movie…

Father of the Bride house

Kelly December 10, 2008 at 8:14 am

Is the next house tour from the movie “The Holiday”? This is so much fun guessing!

Astrid December 10, 2008 at 8:26 am

When I saw that movie I didn’t care much for the actual movie but I LOVED that house! It’s so warm and cozy and inviting. It looked like a house filled with things that were collected over time (not someone buying the collection for a catalogue because it all matched).

Angela December 10, 2008 at 8:40 am

I loved this house!! Granted, it was a bit cluttered (although perfect for that family)…but man, I would love to live in a house just like it! Great movie, too!!! One of my favorite Christmas movies! Stepmom’s house was great, too – very similiar to this one.
Thanks for sharing!! :-)
~angela

bungalowbliss December 10, 2008 at 8:47 am

I’m a huge fan of several cast members (SJP, Rachel McAdams, Luke Wilson), plus I’m a sucker for holiday movies–so I knew I would love this one. But having it set in a house like this sealed the deal for me. I’ve watched it several times specifically for the purpose of checking out details like you’ve pointed out (as I have with To Kill a Mockingbird and It’s a Wonderful Life).

Have you seen the Changeling? It’s not a holiday flick, but oh! Angelina’s bungalow is so cool, especially the kitchen.

Heather December 10, 2008 at 9:14 am

The outside of the home is gorgeous, as are the bones on the inside, but I agree with Diane Keaton, I can’t stand all the clutter!

Starwoodgal December 10, 2008 at 9:44 am

Let’s not forget the house from “Home Alone”.

I love movies where the house is actually more like a Character than a set. My husband gets really annoyed when I’m paying more attention to the movie sets and decorations than the movie story line. “ooo, I love that comforter! Look at that paint color!”

It is a sickness I have. Ha!

lucinda December 10, 2008 at 9:53 am

I really liked this movie. It had so many layers. I remember liking the house when I watched the movie. I’m also crazy for Diane Keaton’s crisp white shirt and big chunky beads…such style!

Mike December 10, 2008 at 10:08 am

I <3 this house. It may be my favorite movie house of all (toss-up with the Father of the Bride house. This place just oozes familial warmth.

the pleasures of homemaking December 10, 2008 at 10:14 am

I love that house! I never saw the movie and if I’m going to cry I may have to watch it alone!

Manuela

Amy from Texas December 10, 2008 at 10:51 am

I’m laughing at that red Apple computer. I had a giant blue one like that! Man, if Diane Keaton came to my house, she would have a heart attack at all the clutter:-)

That button is so cute. (wink wink) I’m getting ready for your house tour. But it’s not what you would expect:-)

reagan December 10, 2008 at 10:57 am

I loved this movie. I thought that the house was from step mother as well…maybe it’s just the angle of the shot or something. I need to rent this movie!

Wingnut December 10, 2008 at 11:20 am

This is really a great movie. Not what you would expect when you watch the trailer. Like you said, you think it’s going to be a comedy (and it is hilarious), but it’s a drama. Very well-done movie, and I can see a lot of it being realistic.

Fifi Flowers December 10, 2008 at 11:35 am

Loved this movie… I could not think of the name. FUN Christmas movie trivia game!

emily December 10, 2008 at 11:50 am

I am just loving all these holiday houses. Sooo Fun to see!

Pat December 10, 2008 at 11:52 am

Diane Keaton is absolutely fabulous..as are other cast members. I like the movie and will watch it again and again. It seems the family situations are realistic. At least they are for me!

I love the house and everything else about this movie.

Tam December 10, 2008 at 11:59 am

I really liked that movie-but the ending is sooo sad! Good life lessons though. This movie was just on TV here last week, I skipped the end.
~Tam :D

Ms.Tee December 10, 2008 at 12:02 pm

Diane Keaton is one of my favorites – I love just about everything she’s in. I love how you showed snapshots of all the details – what a wonderful house!

Dagny December 10, 2008 at 12:34 pm

I love this house, it’s like a home. It has a warm and cozy feel. Thank you! Would love to see Nora’s house from Brothers & Sisters (I know, it has nothing to do with Christmas, but I still love that house!!)

Natalie December 10, 2008 at 1:54 pm

The set designer did a phenomenal job making the home look “real”. I can see what Diane Keaton meant, especially in the kitchen. I haven’t seen this movie but will now. I’m totally enjoying this week’s posts!

angie December 10, 2008 at 2:09 pm

I loved the movie The Family Stone. I watched it two nights in a row (but I have to admit I’m a SJP fan). I am not a big fan of the nik-naks but I thought this house was perfect for the movie and looked like a real family did live there. Thanks for sharing the still shots.

Sher December 10, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Omigosh, Keaton would certainly hate it here at my place – grandkids’ drawings and “I love you” notes on the fridge, plus! I love a clean house but will take their notes over pristeen conditions any time.

Liz December 10, 2008 at 4:39 pm

That movie made me cry so hard I hardly noticed how beautiful the house was. Thanks for the photo tour, I didnt cry during that at least. :) I’m such a cry baby.

Pat December 10, 2008 at 6:09 pm

Hi Julia!
I love this house and all the details inside –it make me want to see the movie just for that! I feel better about my refrigerator becasue it is a magnet haven galore –lol! Hugs, Pat

rue December 10, 2008 at 7:53 pm

I had no idea this was a tear jerker. I’ll have to watch this when no one is home LOL

rue

Ramona Owen December 10, 2008 at 9:23 pm

Yep…this movie is a major tear~jerk~a~rama fest. Great actors and characters. Love this house…

Smiles ~ Ramona

sandra/tx December 10, 2008 at 11:59 pm

I love living in Austin, but it would be fun to have an older Colonial-style home like this one. I’m not a fan of the clutter, but there are definitely elements in this home/set that could be used in real life.

melissa @ the inspired room December 11, 2008 at 1:33 am

I don’t think I saw that movie! Guess if it has a lovely house, I need to see it!

Happy night,
Melissa

Norma December 11, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Hi Julia, thanks for posting all those wonderful pictures, what a beautiful picture from the outside, I must say it does have alot of stuff in the rooms.Too much for me, I haven’t seen the movie yet. My favorite house still is from The Father Of The Bride, and Somethings Gotta Give, for some reason all these movies seem to have Diane Keaton in them, I’m a real fan of hers.

Annie Pazoo December 11, 2008 at 4:20 pm

I recognize the white house — in Mt. Washington, a neighborhood in NW Baltimore. Lots of movies have been filmed in Baltimore, of course. Such lovely old homes in Mt. Washington and Roland Park, and great rowhouses in Charles Village. Sigh, it’s making me wish I still lived there…

fran December 12, 2008 at 12:44 am

Thank you. Could you possible publish pics of the house
in OUT OF AFRICA?

lylah ledner December 12, 2008 at 8:45 pm

Wow…thanks for stopping by and checking out the 100 year old thatched room. sweet yes! and so glad i’m following you back on twitter…LOVE these houses you’ve got going here!

blessings…lylah

Melissa Lewis - Off The Wall December 13, 2008 at 10:12 pm

I’m a little late in reading all my blogs, so pardon the tardiness in my replies:)

I just loved this movie and this house. I dream of having a home filled with memories and family like this one. It’s just so warm and cozy. Love this house!

Cathy December 24, 2008 at 12:01 pm

I have never seen this movie. I caught the last 1/2 hour today and I can’t wait to see it again.

Aamdna December 30, 2008 at 9:45 am

This is a beautiful movie about family and Christmas time. I absolutely love that house. Does anyone know what type of house that is?

t4ac3y1 December 31, 2008 at 3:50 pm

I loved the movie, and I LOVED that house. I live in the Chicago burbs, and in area’s by, and on Lake Michigan, there are many, many beautiful home’s like this one. Since I was a kid, my favorite thing to do was drive the “Circle Tour” and just gaze at the houses. So worth a trip, if you’re in the city visiting. Btw, I’ve been struggling with house to design a house I just moved in (well, 6 years ago) and, when I saw this movie, I just knew this was the way to go… even though I’ve alway’s avoided wallpaper… I don’t care anymore, the house is that much of an inspiration. Thanks so much for the pics.

Rebecca February 22, 2009 at 2:27 am

I so so loved this house! I think I stuck with the movie mostly for the house. I dream of a big, rambling family home full of memories and collections and history… If I ever had a decorator I’d make her watch this movie and maybe Stepmom and say “make my house like that!”

Katrine Holme March 21, 2009 at 10:34 am

I watched this movie a long time ago, and then recently watched another movie also starring Diane Keaton. And I think that they used the same pregnancy picture in this other movie “Because I said so”. Did anyone else recognize?

Jessica March 5, 2011 at 9:18 am

Yes, I noticed that too!

Megan March 30, 2009 at 1:45 pm

The funny thing is about this house, Is that I live right next door to it. It was filmed in Old Greenwich, Greenwich Ct.

Jane Stewart May 23, 2009 at 12:30 pm

The Director Tom Bezucha emailed your site to me. I am so happy that people love the house. It exists forever in the movie but not in real life. The interior was created on stage in Culver City Cal. Enjoy! Jane Stewart Production Designer of “Family Stone”.

hookedonhouses May 23, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Jane, I’m so glad you stopped by! This is one of my all-time favorite movie houses. I love how the rooms reflect the personalities of the family members instead of just being a “pretty backdrop” for the story. Thanks for your comment! -Julia :-)

stars August 1, 2009 at 5:11 am

I loved this house in the movie, as well. I got a sense of deja vu when I first saw the house. Is it from another movie? I can’t figure it out!

hookedonhouses August 1, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Stars–
A lot of people have asked if it’s the same house as the one used in “Stepmom.” It’s not, but maybe that’s why it looks familiar to you? As far as I know, it wasn’t used in any other movies, but if anyone knows differently, please let us know! -Julia

stars August 2, 2009 at 5:13 am

Yes, that’s the movie I’m thinking of! Thanks :) I own “The Family Stone” and it’s such a great holiday movie. On a slightly random note, the house from “The Women” is also gorgeous.

Diana October 2, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Does anyone remember the movie Bed of Roses with Christian Slater and Mary Stuart Masterson? It was released back in 1996. For some reason this house reminds me of Christian’s parent’s house in the movie, where they visit during the Christmas holiday. Has anyone else seen the movie??

Maudie October 18, 2009 at 12:50 am

I loved the house, the movie, the characters….and I made strata for Christmas brekkie BECAUSE of this movie.
I could watch it over and over again.
A gazillion thumbs up!

Victoria April 1, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Is this the house from Philadelphia too?

hookedonhouses April 2, 2010 at 7:12 am

Victoria–
I’m not positive, but I think it was in Connecticut. If anyone knows for sure, fill us in! -Julia

Carol April 6, 2010 at 12:53 am

The houses featured in The Family Stone are both on The Green, Watertown, CT. I looked at both of them to purchase. The house I purchased was the one with the driveway/snow scenes. Across the road is the lovely house seen above in your photo’s. A family did live in it but had moved to another house and left it furnished and for sale. I fell in love with this house! Sadly, we were unable to agree on a sale price and I purchased the other house. I later moved to europe. Imagine my surprise when I saw it in the film!
.-= Carol´s last blog ..Eddie Murphy’s Yellow House in “Daddy Day Care” =-.

hookedonhouses April 6, 2010 at 7:50 am

Thanks, Carol! I’ll update my post. -Julia

Robyn May 3, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I saw that someone brought up Nora Walker’s kitchen on Brothers and Sisters. I love it too! Can anyone tell me if the kitchen walls are wood or a type of textured wallpaper. I would like to recreate the look. Thanks

Britton May 23, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Robyn,

It’s a type of textured wallpaper called woven grass. It’s great for a natural color palette. I absolutely love the home from Brothers and Sisters..

Britton

Dan July 18, 2010 at 10:15 am

Such a warm family film and has become a Christmas must every year to watch. I would love a close family like this one of my own with all the quirks, clutter and smart-ass/love that radiates from the family.

Love this site Julia!

martha August 28, 2010 at 5:29 pm

the family stone was filmed in Madison NJ which is 30 mile west of manhattan. house is located in “the hill” section. college in the movie is actually Drew University which is in Madison and the downtown shop are from Madison. they filmed during warmer weather and created snow all around town for the shoot.

you will see the thank yous in the credits to the town of madison and the 2005 movie review in the New York Times notes the shoot was done in Madison.

another good old victorian house was in One True Thing with Meryl Streep. This house is in the town next door to Madison NJ. Address is 11 Farragut Place, Morristown NJ.

Jason August 29, 2010 at 3:00 pm

A lot of confusion about the location of this house, but only one poster has it right so far… The white house in which the family lives is located on Riverside Avenue in Riverside (right next to Old Greenwich), CT. I grew up with the family that lived there, went to school with their kids, and stopped by one day while they were doing exterior pickups.

Here’s a link to an article all about the filming… Cheers! One of my favorite websites!!

hookedonhouses August 29, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Thanks, Jason! -Julia

Lauren November 28, 2010 at 11:23 pm

The house is located in Riverside, CT a part of Greenwich, CT. It is located on Riverside Avenue

hookedonhouses November 29, 2010 at 7:47 am

Thanks, Lauren!

Pat December 21, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Hello..I just found you. This is a GREAT site!! I was wondering what style the house from The Family Stone movie is? Also I would love a floor plan of the house (both floors). I can’t seem to draw it out by looking at the pics..I can’t tell where the bathroom should be downstairs!! I also can’t find it online either.. Thanks..Pat

Angela H December 26, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I am shocked that there are so many people that love this movie for the same reasons I love it – the house!! The story and acting are great, but the house is the reason why I’ve watched this film so many times :) Thank you for posting pictures and keeping this site up, I’m so glad I found it. Happy New Year!

Megan December 28, 2010 at 1:46 am

The house is actually located in Riverside Connecticut. I found the address on the msnnbc website. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40742401/ns/business-real_estate/

Pat December 28, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Megan..great link. I wish they had pics of inside the house. It didn’t even say what type of house. I know the interior was shot on a movie lot, but maybe someone can draw up a floor plan. Crossing my fingers!

Wendy Ramirez April 14, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I absolutely love love this movie. Its in my top favorite movies. What i was wondering is if that house is actually occupied? Is it for sale? i would not at all mind living in that home. Even with all the clutter lol. I can always clean it out. It has such a warm home feeling to it.

hookedonhouses April 14, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I don’t know what its current status is. Does anyone else?

Megan April 19, 2011 at 8:44 pm

This was filmed in Greenwhich Connecticut.. I think I would know, considering it’s my house…

hookedonhouses April 20, 2011 at 9:08 am

Lucky you! Thanks for clearing that up, Megan. :-)

tissy May 18, 2011 at 1:15 pm

This home in Old Greenwich is one I drove by for 10 years and yes it was published in the Greenwich Times the classic New England Home was being used for the film. It fit the family and if updated is awesome

Debbie June 27, 2011 at 6:26 pm

The house is at 141 Riverside Avenue, Riverside, CT.

Judith September 4, 2011 at 11:34 pm

I love The Family Stone and I really love movies with houses as a “character” in the storyline. The Family Stone has become my favorite holiday movie. I also love the house in Dan in Real Life. But, The Family Stone is my favorite movie and I am so glad others enjoy it as much as I do!!

Judith September 4, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Forgot to mention some other great houses in movies….
1. What Lies Beneath – the house is beautiful
2. Dan in Real Life – the house is in Providence, RI
3. Terms of Endearment – the house that Shirley McLaine lives in
4. On Golden Pond – come on…need I say more??

hookedonhouses September 5, 2011 at 8:31 am

I have written about “What Lies Beneath” and “Dan in Real Life” if you want to see them. All the links are on my TV/Movie Houses page (link at top of the blog). -Julia

Judith September 6, 2011 at 2:06 pm

In the latest issue of People Magazine Diane Keaton talks about houses & sites the kitchen in Somethings Gotta Give as her favorite movie kitchen. She also is not a fan of clutter so I guess she really wasn’t a fan of the Stone’s house!

{ 10 trackbacks }