“While You Were Sleeping:” Christmas in Chicago

While You Were Sleeping movie house

The Sandra Bullock movie While You Were Sleeping is one of my favorites to watch during the holidays each year, so I was determined to track down the white house in Chicago where much of it was filmed. Here’s how it looked in the movie, all lit up for Christmas:

While You Were Sleeping movie house in Chicago

While You Were Sleeping movie house front porch

Kristine tells me that she lived in this house when they filmed here: “We had to move out for most of the shooting and we were living down the street. Everyone was so nice.”

While You Were Sleeping movie house in Chicago

“The snow was all fake and we were the only house on the block with it.”

While You Were Sleeping movie house in Chicago

There’s a reason the interiors look so real and lived-in: “They redid some of the interior for the movie but most of it is the same. All the interiors were actually my house too, none of them were sets. Shortly after the movie, my parents put an addition on the side of the house.” (Thanks, Kristine!)

While You Were Sleeping movie house in Chicago

Check out the vintage wallpaper in the entry hall:

While You Were Sleeping movie house in Chicago

The house is on the corner of 8th and Elm in La Grange, a suburb of Chicago.

While You Were Sleeping movie house in Chicago

Here’s how it looks today, via It’s Filmed There:

While You Were Sleeping movie house today 203 8th Avenue La Grange Chicago

According to Zillow, it was built in 1904 and has nearly 4,000 square feet.

While You Were Sleeping movie house today 203 8th Avenue La Grange Chicago

Here’s how the side of the house looks via Google Streetview today:

streetview of house from While You Were Sleeping today

And the front, via Streetview, from the other side of the street:

Google Streetview of While You Were Sleeping movie house today

It looks even more beautiful than it did in the movie. Who wouldn’t want to spend the holidays here?

While You Were Sleeping movie house today 203 8th Avenue La Grange Chicago

Did you know the role was originally written for Demi Moore? Sandra Bullock had just come off the blockbuster “Speed” and was ready to try something different. This was the beginning of her romantic comedy career when it premiered in 1995.

Julia-simple-teal-signature2

P.S. Visit Houses Onscreen to see more, including…

The Lake House movie glass house

A Christmas Story movie house
One of my family's favorite holiday movies is A Christmas Story. It was based on a collection of author Jean Shepherd's short stories in the…
The Family Stone movie white house in snow
The Family Stone received mixed reviews, but I liked it. Would I have enjoyed it as much if it hadn't taken place in this beautiful old house,…

Comments

Yes, I love that movie, however my all time favorite it Sleepless in Seattle. I think I dig out While you were sleeping and watch it again tonight!!

I love that movie too. I would love to have an old house with a porch. We don’t have many of those down here. Everything is NEW!

3. Kelly says

Oh I know what movie house #3 belongs to. It is “Step Mom”. I own that movie. I just fell in love with the house as soon as I saw it! Too bad it’s such a sad movie though.

Love this movie and watch it again and again. I missed seeing your A Christmas Story post, until this morning. We love that movie, too!

Saturday, my youngest daughter who is a great enabler of her Mother’s passion for Christmas this and that, called. She was visiting Got A Deal and found that Sears was having a terrific sale on Dept 56, A Christmas Story pieces. Yep, you guessed it. We started another collection. I picked up several pieces at the store yesterday and had others shipped. I cannot wait!!

Oh yes, this movie is one of my favorites too!
    Don’t you just love Bill Pulman?
    A perfect movie rental for a cold winter night.
    Steve will just have to sit through it again (actually, he loved it too. Just don’t
    tell anyone)!

xo

Brooke

6. Mike says

#3 looks to me like the house from A Family Stone. If it’s not, I recommend that one later this week. 😉

I think you’re right Mike. When SJP backs the car down the drive she hits a tree. One of my favorite scenes. These homes are absolutely gorgeous.

Such an adorable movie! I thought her land lord was halarious, and I have a special place in my heart for the grandmother since she was the mom in Mary Poppins.

This is also one of my favorite romantic comedies. I love the lead glass windows on either side of the door.

I haven’t seen that movie in years, probably since shortly after it was released, so I’m not sure who all the family is, but in the toll booth scene isn’t the woman in the bottom right corner the mom from Mary Poppins?

Another great movie. I think this was a perfect roll for Sandra Bullock, and don’t think it would’ve conveyed as sweetly had Demi Moore done it. Another great post, can’t wait for tomorrow!

Oh I love this movie, it’s in my top 10 favourites of all time and wonderful Christmas movie. I remember feeling very much like Lucy when it came out and I think that’s why I have such fond memories of it. I can’t believe it’s 13 years old!

13. mercedes says

Great pictures,Julia, thanks.I hope that if the next house isn´t of Stepmom,please find this house for us, the bedroom belongs to Susan Sarandon character was amazing.
    Best wishes for you and your family.
    Mercedes
    PD: sorry my English

14. Marla in Ohio says

I’m with Mike – tomorrow’s looks like the Family Stone – another awesome house.

This is one of our favorite movies, too. “These mashed potatoes are so creamy” is one of our favorite moments in the movie… When our daughter (now 18) was little, she would make us rewind it over and over again on the part where the newspaper boy falls off his bike!! She would just crack up over that. I LOVE THAT MOVIE!! We need to watch it soon.

Oh how I adore this movie…so, so much. I think I have every word embedded in my head. Our older cat is named Lucy Eleanor Moneratz after SB’s character. : )

Love that house…*sigh*

Love,
    Sue

Great house-great movie-great post!
    Makes me want to watch the movie now! Lol!
    ~Smiles~Tam

The scene where Lucy is going through his wallet has always stuck with me. She is going through it slowly, with amusing curiosity, when all of a sudden she comes to a scrap of paper and she gets alarmed. We then sees why; it’s a coupon for cat food. She rushes over to feed the cat and this moves the story forward for the romance to build with the guy’s brother. It’s a great scene. I often wonder if I would have connected the coupon with the thought that there might be a hungry cat waiting for food at his apartment.

I LOVED this post. Loved the movie. The architecture of the homes was so beautiful. I never noticed it before. Thanks so much! I look forward to reading more of these – what fun!

I didn’t get that one… loved that movie too! You have GREAT photos of movie sets… I think I might have to ask you next time I cannot find photos of sets to paint! You are NOW in my reference bank! Hooked on Houses library!
    Ok… I have one for you… Spanglish… I have not been able to find a good photo of the front of that house… hmmmmm… let me know if you have any phones.
    ENJOY your day!
    Fifi

I LOVE this movie and was thinking I should watch it just last night. Of course I love Lucy’s cluttered apartment and the family’s house–I never think of Peter’s cheerless apartment.

22. melissa says

sigh, i always loved that house. so perfect.
    do you know where they filmed this movie??

23. melissa says

I watched the movie. The suburban shots are La Grange, IL.

24. kristine says

haha this is so weird, that is my house!! yes it is in La Grange,IL, a SW suburb of chicago. oh and all the interior is actually my house too, none of it is a set as is mentioned above. the living room and all that is real haha

25. sandra says

This is one of my all-time favorite movies ever! While visiting friends who moved from Texas to Chicago back in 1997, a couple of years after the movie came out, I was determined to find some of the locations! I called actor’s group out of the phone book and eventually spoke to Jon Turteltaub, himself! I wanted to see the house! He gave me an address in La Grange, but we could not locate it. :(

I’m writing to Kristine, who posted on March 27, that it is her house! I’d love to hear whether she lived there during the filming and what it was like! Thanks!

This is a GREAT website!!

26. Tracey says

I FOUND IT!!!! The address of the Callahan’s house is 328 E Elm Avenue in LaGrange IL. One beautiful house!!!!

27. kristine says

that’s close, but not my exact address haha!
    yes i lived there at the time, but i was only about 7. we had to move out for most of the shooting and we were living down the street. everyone was so nice. the snow was all fake and we were the only house on the block with it. i met everyone a few times and they were all so nice. for whatever reason, whenever we stopped by, there was LOADS of baskin robbins ice cream that they gave to us. they redid some of the interior for the movie but most of it is the same. shortly after the movie, my parents put an addition on the side of the house. and the kid falling off the bike is on 8th ave, south of my house. the actual house is on the corner of 8th and elm in la grange.

28. kristine says

oh and you can’t see the address in any of the shots because it’s on the right side of the house, but it’s 203 😛

29. hookedonhouses says

Kristine and Seph–thanks!! I might have to track it down next time I’m in Chicago. -Julia :-)

30. Tonya says

My favorite part that reduces me to tears every time is when Jack looks back at his family after kissing Lucy in the booth when she accepts. I fell in love with Bill Pullman that moment myself!

31. Victor says

A correction in the captioning is needed for the last image.

This is not the State/Lake El Stop. This is Wabash & Randolph stop. The view is looking due north towards the now demolished Chicago Sun-Times Building. Trump Tower Chicago currently occupies that site.

32. Cammy says

That’s my house! I wasn’t born yet but I was the one ‘sleeping’ in my mom’s stomach! It makes me feel so happy when people say they think the house is so pretty. I think it’s too big. It scares me sometimes… :/ Kristine (above) is my sister. :)

33. Lauren says

When Winter comes around this movie was always in the VCR as soon as it was released, always reminds me of the holidays. I love it!

Now this post reminds me, I have to go to Best Buy and pick up the DVD version now 😉