Which Room Doesn’t Belong in This Craftsman Bungalow?

by hookedonhouses on November 7, 2008

It’s time to play one of our favorite games here at Hooked on Houses, called “One of These Rooms Is Not Like the Others…” It’s taken from the song on Sesame Street that goes like this:

“One of these things is not like the other. One of these things just doesn’t belong! Can you tell which thing is not like the others by the time I finish my song?”

This beautiful Arts & Crafts Bungalow was built in 1915. It’s on the market near Columbus, Ohio, for $549,900. Take a look around and see if you can spot the room (or rooms) that tend to, well, stand out from the others.

Did you see any rooms that stood out a little from the others? Did you see any renovations that didn’t belong?

(Insert my usual ranting against real estate agents who post dark, fuzzy photos of houses that we have to squint to see.  Ugh.)

Thanks to Marla who sent me the link to this house and questioned whether someone made a mistake when they stuck those photos of the master bedroom and bath in.

If You’re Hooked on Odd MLS Photos:

Meghan November 7, 2008 at 3:43 pm

I wouldn’t mind living there tho.
The rooms totally don’t go but I could adapt!
LOL

Nikki November 7, 2008 at 4:05 pm

What is up with the master bed and bath?? Someone went a little modern on their decor and style! hehehe :)

Emily November 7, 2008 at 4:09 pm

um, crazy funky modern master bed & bath! not really a fan of that pink bedroom either.

The rest is beautifully craftsman though!

maya November 7, 2008 at 4:26 pm

oh my.

Darla - Sassy Homemaker November 7, 2008 at 4:35 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHA God Bless people.

jeweledrabbit November 7, 2008 at 4:57 pm

Are you sure that bedroom and bathroom are from the craftsman house? LOL

Amy November 7, 2008 at 5:18 pm

Wow! It’s beautiful but doesn’t fit. Although I’m not sure I could live with all that dark wood anyway. Maybe that’s why they did it. I think it’s a big mistake though.

Natalie at FLHomeBlog November 7, 2008 at 5:24 pm

Huh???

Wha???

How???

wow, what a 360 from the rest.

Love that house.

Kathy :) November 7, 2008 at 5:30 pm

Oh really some of those rooms don’t belong LOL ??? It’s like having a pimple at the end of your nose very obvious I say. What are they thinking ??

I just loved that library/study area.

Have a great week-end Julia and I hope everyone in your world is on the mend, take care…

Kathy :)

ps I think we need another round of love it or hate it….do you ???

Suzann November 7, 2008 at 5:33 pm

That master bedroom and sleeky modern bathroom are really not craftsman style in any way. LOL

Kim~HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs November 7, 2008 at 5:38 pm

Wow…that master bedroom and bath do not belong is this home…not too sure about the green and pink bedroom either.

Neutral Dwelling November 7, 2008 at 5:52 pm

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm

Pat November 7, 2008 at 6:37 pm

Hmmm…let me think about it a minute…can you sing the song again, Julia?

Ms.Tee November 7, 2008 at 6:56 pm

What a gorgeous home – I want that sunroom! :)

Billy November 7, 2008 at 8:15 pm

Okay so Greene and Greene did use an Asian influence in their later work but I am pretty sure that Chuck and Hank did not have PoMo Euro Zen Loft Attic Master Bed Room in mind. So in the couple, who’s style is reflected in the PoMo Euro Zen Loft Attic Master Bed Room? And how much did the PoMo Euro Zen Loft Attic Master Bed Room cost? But I think the PoMo Euro Zen Loft Attic Master Bed Room would look better in an English caravan.

Robyn November 7, 2008 at 8:58 pm

Im loving the sunroom and the library. The kitchen and the pink bedroom I would have to revamp. I could live in the rest of the house and yard thought. It’s a cute house. ~ Robyn

Magnaverde November 7, 2008 at 9:18 pm

While, in theory, I don’t have a major problem with one or two rooms of a contrasting style stuck in along with a houseful of rooms in a different style as a sort of architectural sorbet course in a meal of heavy traditional design–and here I’m thinking of places like David Adler’s house for Lester Armour, with its dignified English interiors set off against the jazzy bling of Leola Armour’s mirrored bath & dresing room, or McKim Mead & White’s chaste essays in Colonial Revival goosed with a Moorish den or a Japonesque smoking room–there are few architects who can do it as successfully as those guys did it, and sadly, this wasn’t one of them. I doubt that in fifty years anyone will look back at this and think it was an improvement to a handsome old house–even if the upstairs was nothing but an unfinished attic. Like Jesus says, Don’t put new wine in old bottles.

hookedonhouses November 7, 2008 at 9:26 pm

Okay, great comments, as usual. You guys keep me so entertained.

Billy, your comment made me laugh out loud. You should write comments for a living.

Magnaverde, I thought your comment was brilliant, especially this: “Like Jesus says, Don’t put new wine in old bottles.” -Julia :-)

Sher November 7, 2008 at 10:12 pm

That Japanese inspired bedroom is definitely doing its own thing (keeping with the Sesame Street song).

sandra/tx November 7, 2008 at 11:31 pm

Alright, Julia. I figured out which room it was, but sister, you’re gonna have to plug in a different song in your next post to get this one of out my head. LOL

Jen R Sanctuary Arts November 7, 2008 at 11:48 pm

oh, I saw a few rooms! The modern bed and bath and that little girls room. I have that song running around in my head now ! :)

edie November 8, 2008 at 12:43 am

WTH?

Kellye November 8, 2008 at 1:17 am

Oh Magna! McKim, Mead & White. ::sigh:: What I wouldn’t give to have been in NYC then and had the money to commission something.

I’m not usually partial to Craftsman, but I happen to really love that little kitchen. In this particular case, it’s a shame that the zoning board approved their addition.

Liz@VioletPosy November 8, 2008 at 1:54 am

What the?!?! Who on earth thought that master bedroom and bath would fit in??
And I’m with you, why can’t they use some flash photography when taking pictures of such a dark property?

The Summer Kitchen Girls November 8, 2008 at 7:59 am

How funny! They followed the craftsmen style so strict downstairs – wallpaper, furnishings…..maybe they were starting renovations first in their bedroom and then planning on moving throughout the rest of the house….or maybe the bedroom was last on the list and they just ran out of money……we may never know!!

Meredith November 8, 2008 at 9:46 am

Now that’s just a crime, that is. I think the owners must have an identity crisis. What style do they really like? Why did they buy the house in the first place? I cannot imagine living in the rest of the house all day, surrounded by the lovely warm Craftsman style, and then having that bedroom hit you in the face at night. I know it’s supposed to be tranquil and soothing, but to me it’s like someone running their nails across a blackboard.

Derek November 8, 2008 at 10:24 am

I have to given them credit for sticking to the craftman style for a majority of the house. The little venture into the land of “Buck Rogers” looks to be in the attic. Maybe they just needed a place to get out of the land of Dark wood downstars. Who knows?

Aubrey November 8, 2008 at 11:19 am

“Oh my heck,” was my inital reaction to the ‘special’ rooms that maybe are in a guest house in the far corner of the backyard–where they punish their guests? The ceiling isn’t even right! Those have to be pictures accidentally added. The need to find a new realtor.

Linda November 8, 2008 at 12:11 pm

Oh!! I LOVE playin’ this game…I sing the little ditty in my head (in a syrupy voice) Then hear that screeching sound of a needle scratching the LP (remember that sound!) when it gets to the “wrong” room!

Modern/asian meets the arts and crafts movement. Lovely.

'D' November 8, 2008 at 3:59 pm

This was fun, I’ll look forward to playing again.

Starr November 8, 2008 at 5:14 pm

LOL You made this one SOOO easy! And I agree with Sandra– That song is stuck in my head!!

'D' November 8, 2008 at 6:44 pm

Julia,

Thanks for the visit to my blog. People, like you amaze me, your life seems so busy, so much to do, yet you have time to let us know you’ve been around our places for a look-see.;) All I did was groom my Collie and make Biscotti today, and the day is almost shot. I know I may not always leave a message, but I’m around.

Hugs
‘D’

le November 8, 2008 at 7:22 pm

well at first I thought it was the pink bedroom …. UNTIL ! oh wow – what a delightful home until the master bed and ensuite raised their heads – shame really …

Melissa Lewis - Off The Wall November 8, 2008 at 8:18 pm

That’s funny. I was scrolling through slooowwwwlllly making sure to pay attention so that I could pick it out. Then… WHAM! The room hit me like a ton of bricks, and I laughed at the oh so obvious room that doesn’t fit in:)

Great post! You had me on my toes.

rue November 8, 2008 at 8:50 pm

Ack!! What were they thinking?! This is a prime example of remodeling gone wrong. It hurts my eyes Julia…. ouch!

rue

Rhubarb Whine November 8, 2008 at 11:00 pm

LOL. Too good. And a new place for me to play in! I’ll be back!

Fifi Flowers November 9, 2008 at 12:32 am

Photos 9 and 10… modern bedroom and bath… HORRIBLE! Adorable house the rest of it!
ENJOY the rest of your weekend!
Fifi

laura @ the shorehouse. November 9, 2008 at 1:01 am

Oh lordy. What causes this?! Especially since the rest of the house is totally Craftsman-style. Maybe the realtor posted the wrong photos accidentally. ;-)

Jinx November 9, 2008 at 8:55 am

It’s hard to believe all those rooms are in the same house! The living & kitchen area are so gorgeous & work so well together. But the rest just totally break up the flow!

I love the Master Bedroom, with the Asian influence, but if I were doing a walk through as a potential buyer I would be adding up the expense of a major redecorating bill!

Angela November 9, 2008 at 5:12 pm

That’s comical. I have to wonder what they were thinking when they did the master bed/bath?! Thanks for sharing!

Brooke November 9, 2008 at 5:41 pm

I don’t know how you find these things!
Why do people do this to homes? There is a way to re-model a home to make it more livable while still having it look like the rest of this home.

xo
Brooke

Slowish Food November 10, 2008 at 10:49 am

Frank Lloyd Wright is rolling in his grave over that Victorian bedroom.

Sammie December 17, 2008 at 6:28 pm

That pink and gray,blue,green (whatever color that is) bedroom may have been for a little girl and little girls get their girly bedrooms no matter what the rest of the house is like.
One day she will outgrown her desire for that frilly stuff or will have grown up and left.
Then the parents can go back to redo the bedroom to match the rest of the house, all the while wishing their little girl was back again to mess up their decorating plans.
It’s called living.

ida February 26, 2009 at 2:52 am

i personally loved the ikea looking modern bedroom and bathroom. i think the husband finally flipped out and said he needed his space. lol and i dont blame him eithor.

Tom February 26, 2009 at 7:07 pm

That master bedroom looks like the house of the jerk yuppies next door in “Christmas Vacation.”