The “Father of the Bride” House

by hookedonhouses on June 5, 2008

Who doesn’t love the “Father of the Bride” house? Lindsay at Iamnotastalker found the original home used for the movie in Pasadena, California, and a reader named Mike sent me the link to the floor plans if you want to build one like this yourself. Here’s how it looks today:

The front of this house was filmed in Pasadena, but the producers chose a different backyard in Alhambra for the backyard basketball scenes.

Remember when Annie and her dad shot hoops? The backboard is still there, all these years later (the movie was released in 1991–can that be right? It doesn’t seem like that long ago!):

The Alhambra house was later used in the 2005 Ashton Kutcher movie “Guess Who? Here’s the front of it, which is also pretty similar in style and spirit to the other two:

*6/11 UPDATE: I wrote about these houses much more extensively here: The “Father of the Bride” House is For Sale…Sorta. You can also see photos of the FOTB interiors from the first and second (when they added the nursery wing) movies.*

Visit my TV/Movie Houses page for links to more!

irishsof June 5, 2008 at 7:56 am

Oo Oo Oo! I can contribute today!

JLB and I were looking up that house a couple of years ago because I wanted to find out if you could get the plans for it in order to build it. (Hey, a gay guy can dream!)

Apparently, the couple that owns it now went looking for something like it, and stumbled upon the actual house from the movie. But the inside was a mess from the movie, because walls had be made removeable for filming, etc. It’s kind of a cool story.

Story can be found here.

And here are the plans!

irishsof June 5, 2008 at 8:06 am

And my follow up – my guess as to the other house is Steve Martin’s house from L.A. Story.

hookedonhouses June 5, 2008 at 8:09 am

Irishsof, you are not just the Reader of the Day for providing those links–you’re the reader of the month! (Your plaque is in the mail.) Thank you!!! I immediately edited the post to add the links. -Julia :-)

Marie June 5, 2008 at 8:37 am

I LOVE that Father of the Bride house. I remember waaaaay back in 1991 when I saw the movie the first thing I thought was “I MUST HAVE THAT HOUSE!” It is hands down, my favorite movie house ever.

Cindy June 5, 2008 at 8:38 am

I love it that there are other movie house stalkers too. Being close to Los Angeles I have driven by many of them. They filmed some scenes for a new movie a block from my house last week and while watching Disturbia I told my hubby I thought I regonized the house as one in Whittier and I was right. My guess for your other favorite Steve Martin house is the one in Cheaper by the Dozen. Love it.

Sue June 5, 2008 at 9:46 am

One of my most favorite places ever…thank you for this smile!!
I watch these movies so often…and love the inside and the outside! It makes mt happy…

Love,
Sue

Mrs.Limestone June 5, 2008 at 10:08 am

I could be totally wrong but I thought I read that house was for sale (newly renovated) recently. Of course I can’t remember where I saw it and Im sure its long gone now but how cool to live in that house.

hookedonhouses June 5, 2008 at 10:23 am

Oh! Well get right on that and see what you can find out for us, Mrs. Limestone! You don’t have anything else to do today, do you? -Julia ;-)

Tori June 5, 2008 at 12:09 pm

I love it! I love it! I love it! The Father of the Bride movies are
two of my favorite, though last time I watched them my dad
said, “You better watch these because this is how I am going
to be when you get married.” 0_0, that could be scary, lol.
I love movie houses (have you seen Dan in Real Life?
not a white house, but it is beautiful). As far as white houses
go, what about Clueless, doesn’t she live in a white house?

Marla June 5, 2008 at 12:11 pm

My husband and I would LOVE to have the “Home Alone” house, but would be highly unattainable in Columbus, OH – for us anyway. :) We can always watch the movie (sigh).

Love your site.

JLB June 5, 2008 at 12:20 pm

I love that house form father of the bride. We so want to build a house like that…someday.
I can’t really remeber the outside of it but the house from “Mr. & Mrs. Smith” is really cool!
The light fixtures in their dining room got a lot of attention in the design community.
I will look for the link.

Tori June 5, 2008 at 12:29 pm

In Big Fish they have two beautiful white houses.
Also My Fair Lady, and Gone with the wind
(sadly this is the only picture out of all three of them that
I could find)

Robin June 5, 2008 at 12:30 pm

I always like the house in the Steve Martin movie “House-sitter”. It had a hallway to the master suite that was all french doors on both sides, one side looking onto to the front yard house and one to a courtyard. Sadly, according to imdb.com, it was built as a set and torn down after filming (how wasteful!).

Lynn June 5, 2008 at 12:39 pm

I have always loved that movie. Love the house as well.

Lynn
John 15

jennifer June 5, 2008 at 12:45 pm

I always loved the home alone house- it is similar-but a brick exterior

speaking of movie houses , it is not this style but- my husband and LOVE the house from the movie funny farm – it is somewhere in Grafton Vermont , but we have never been able to find pictures

hookedonhouses June 5, 2008 at 12:57 pm

I love all the movie houses you guys are mentioning! Thanks, Jennifer, for the link to the “Home Alone” house. Interesting how it’s basically the same style but in brick. That’s another house I always loved in the movies.

I want to cry hearing that they may have torn my favorite little yellow house down after filming “Housesitter.” How could they??

jennifer June 5, 2008 at 2:04 pm

AND they tore down the house from “Something’s gotta give” and “what lies beneath” – it’s just sinful!!
I just love movie houses.

TraceyB June 5, 2008 at 3:30 pm

Ooooh, I love the Father Of The Bride house! I beleive it was Father Of The Bride 2 when Steve Martin’s character was having a mid-life crisis and wanted to sell. I was so disgusted with the thought I could hardly pay attention to the rest of the movie. I recently watched ‘Mr. Mom” with my daughter and remembered what a cute house that was!

class of 56 June 5, 2008 at 10:41 pm

When my son was a Senior in high school he decided he wanted to be a film producer. I had a training center in Glendale, Ca where one of my students was Executive Director of the Star Trek series si I called him up and asked if he would give son and me a tour of his studio, Disney at the time, and introduce us to the real thing of movie making. One guy is the “Location Master” who finds houses and other locations for a film. He took us to Pasadena where a lot of movies were made because the homes and street scenes are so memorable.

We hung around trying to get selected as extras but no such luck. The “Father of the Bride” house looks awfully familiar but maybe there were several like it in Pasadena.

melissa lewis - off the wall June 6, 2008 at 12:23 am

This my be my favorite of your post. I absolutely LOVE that movie, I cry every time I watch it! I have always loved that house too! So cool:)

Beverly June 6, 2008 at 11:18 am

Thanks for visiting my blog, and coming to my Front Porch party. I hope you’ll come by to visit again soon.

courtney @ nesting instincts June 6, 2008 at 12:33 pm

what fun, Julia! Father of the Bride was always one of my favorite moves…and in fact was a bit of inspiration when I planned my own wedding. :-) I, unfortunately, only had access to my parent’s 1968 ranch house when I got married…not this FOTB dream house…so got married in church instead! But I love these photos and all the links.

courtney @ nesting instincts June 6, 2008 at 12:33 pm

…I meant to say…had the reception elsewhere too! Yikes. Anyway, I’m back and I missed reading your blog! Am off to catch up!!

Lena June 13, 2008 at 11:02 am

I adore that house. The house is so inviting, just makes you want to live there. I gives me the feeling that the familyl living there has a perfect life. I am already hooked on your blog!

Amanda Miller July 4, 2008 at 10:43 pm

I Want The House Right Now?

Amanda

Sandra Murray July 28, 2008 at 12:08 am

I have always loved the Father of the Bride house decor.

Does anyone know the name/names of the individuals or firm that decorated the interior of the Father of the Bride house for the movie? Any idea where I could find some still photos of the interior as it was in the movie? I’d especially like some of the kitchen. It’s hard to see the whole room in the movie.

Thanks.

Sandra

captnina August 6, 2008 at 5:59 pm

My mom grew up in the house next door to the Alhambra Father of the Bride house. They use many of the houses on her street for films.

deb villegas September 22, 2008 at 2:35 pm

Didn’t the movie “8 is enough” have a house like the steve martin house in Father of the bride? Long time ago but thought it was similar?

hookedonhouses September 22, 2008 at 2:40 pm

Deb is right. I hadn’t thought about “Eight is Enough” in years. I did a quick Google search and found a photo:

-Julia

Happylady October 8, 2008 at 12:25 pm

The Steve Martin Movie house I love is the house in Housesitter. It is awsome!

ky4ensicgirl November 28, 2008 at 11:43 am

I don’t have links, but I do have movies! Here are a couple that have houses that are very similarbto the FOB house:

Deck the Halls
Liar Liar
Enough (little known JLo movie about a battered wife getting even)

Lisa in Australia January 9, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Hi… I was looking through your site and homes – which I love – and couldn’t find this house… and was disappointed! Then I found it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this house. American styled houses are so differen to our houses in Australia. I just love this home. Big but welcoming and friendly. Wish I lived in it!

jax1841 January 26, 2009 at 10:47 am

Every time I see a white house like this I, too, think “That looks like the Father of the Bride house!” I’ve always loved it. Also, I haven’t seen it mentioned here, but I remember the “crap house” in the Money Pit was a nice big, white house too.

ky4ensicgirl February 15, 2009 at 10:13 am

Just saw another one. A new (really bad) horror film called “Amusement” has a similar house.

Heather February 19, 2009 at 10:44 pm

I have wondered if the house that was blown to bits in the movie “Mr and Mrs. Smith” was the same house that was in the “Father of the Bride Movies”. Are they the same house??? It sure looked familiar from the FOtB movie!!!

Heather’s last blog post..A good day

Allison April 4, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Does anyone know if the FOTB house is also the house from the 2005 remake of “Yours, Mine & Ours” with Randy Quaid and Renee Rousseau? It’s on ABC tonight and as soon as that house flashed by I thought it was the same one.

Allison April 4, 2009 at 7:48 pm

I should clarify, I am referring to the house at the beginning of “Yours, Mine, & Ours” that Randy Quaid’s family (the Beardsleys) lives in, which is supposed to be his childhood home, not the house they move to once marrying. Does anyone know if this is indeed the FOTB house?

Tiffany April 12, 2009 at 10:16 pm

2 movies off the top of my head are
“guess who” w/ Ashton Kutcher and
“Monster-in-law” w/ Jennifer Lopez
Do those houses look like the “father of the bride” house?
Haven’t seen them in a while so can’t quite remember.

Houselover May 28, 2009 at 6:23 pm

For the link explaining of the couple who actually lives in that house and redecorated it. has anyone been able to find the actual article? I went to the site but have no idea where to start

hookedonhouses May 28, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Houselover–that link was a year old and they apparently removed the article that was there. I can’t find it anymore. So sorry! -Julia

Mandy Sadler June 15, 2009 at 12:17 am

You guys are forgetting the best white house of all time – The Notebook – the one Noah builds for Allie – I. LOVE. THAT. HOUSE!

Mini is a STAR!! June 16, 2009 at 11:55 am

Wow, the house looks exactly like it did in 1991 and 1995! It’s really pretty; I’m attempting to buy a house similar to it, but with four acres for my horse!

Joe June 21, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Can you tell me the street the house from “Father of the Bride” is on in Pasadena and the one in Alhambra? I would love to see it in person. I make it a day trip to find locations used in films. I have found many locations just on street signs, etc in the backgrounds.

Joe’s last blog post..Father’s Day Gifts & Wishes

michele June 22, 2009 at 12:34 pm

i’ve been obsessed with this house for 18 years! lol

i don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but i’m pretty sure the house in “mr & mrs smith” is also this house. the architecture of it is very similar, even though the interiors have been made much more contemporary and modern.

michele’s last blog post..and with that, it’s summer.

Cynthia Shepard July 30, 2009 at 11:03 am

I absolutely LOVE this house from FOTB. I have printed out the plans and I am going to build it someday, somewhere. It has remained my dream ever since I saw the movie. I drew it..both inside and out (as much as we saw)…I am going to have it!! Darn it!!LOL!!!

Blog Ojevich October 27, 2009 at 5:32 pm

If you’re looking to a very similar house sans Porte Cochere…dust off some reruns from Eight is Enough a late 1970′s show starring Dick Van Patten. Very similar architecture.

Lana January 10, 2010 at 2:47 am

Interesting to see all the similar cravings for this house! I too have
desired to have such a house.. but more importantly, a street and neighborhood
like the one in the movie! (location!) Pray tell, other than CA, where would this be?

Joana Leal November 3, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Anyone knows the exact adress of the house of Father of the Bride?
I live in Brazil and since I was a little kid I love this film and always said to my parents that one day I would at least take a picture in front of it.
I’m going to States on January and I’ll try to visit Pasadena and look out the house. Hope I’ll find it.
If anyone knows anything that can help me my e-mail is joanaluisaleal@gmail.com
Thank you all for sharing something I always love but could not imagine other people would love too.
Thank you.

Jacqueline January 8, 2011 at 5:54 am

Awww, this movie played tonight on TBS. I love this house so much. Does anyone know the real address? My friend just moved to South Pasadena and after reading your blog and realizing how many movies use Pasadena, Alhambra, and other neighborhoods close by, I’d love to drive by and take a picture of it. It’s such a beautiful home.

Tracy January 24, 2011 at 7:18 am

The front of this house was also used in Mr. and Mrs. Smith (Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie).

hookedonhouses January 24, 2011 at 8:02 am

The houses look similar, but they’re actually different. I addressed that rumor in a different post. -Julia

{ 8 trackbacks }