An Old Post and Beam Farmhouse in Hopewell

Post and Beam Farmhouse circa 1813 Hopewell NJ

Alantha wrote me about her mother’s “really beautiful and unique post and beam farmhouse” in Hopewell, New Jersey. It was built in 1813, and although it has been updated, many of the original details remain intact. It sits on nearly 8 acres and is surrounded by 200 more of “preserved land.” Take a look…

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (16)

The listing says: “Circa 1800’s post and beam restored farm house with many original details and authentic renovations. The long private drive, leads you to this charming homestead, surrounded by 200 acres of preserved land. The welcoming front porch will lead you into the foyer, which is flanked by a formal living room and formal dining room.”

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (3)

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (2)

“Large, original wood burning fireplace, with massive pine mantel surround & stone hearth creates a wonderful dining experience. The open kitchen & family room, with WB fireplace, lots of windows and French doors, leading to the side porch & patio for outdoor entertaining.”

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (10)

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (8)

“Beamed ceilings and gorgeous restored antique flooring throughout, will impress the antique home enthusiast.” (That’s probably an understatement!)

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (13)

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (9)

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (15)

There are 4 bedrooms and 2.5 baths.

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (11)

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (12)

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (14)

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (4)

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (6)

Thanks to Alantha for telling us about it. For more photos and information about this wonderful old farmhouse, check the listing with Lisa James Otto.

Julia signature 1

DesignDreams by Anne DIY shutters AFTER
As "Real Bathrooms Week" comes to a close, I'm finishing it off with 10 more makeovers my readers submitted. Click the links to visit their…
white farmhouse in upstate New York
There's something about old white farmhouses that get me every time. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I belong on a farm about…

Comments

1. Christina from Dallas says

What a lovely home! The beams are gorgeous! I love that long countertop in the kitchen. It seems like such a warm and cozy place. Good luck on the sale!

2. Laura says

That’s a gorgeous house! I love the floors, french doors, windows and decor. As a “Jersey girl” who now lives in VA, I know how many beautiful places there are in my home state. Thanks for showing one of them.

3. Carol M says

I lived just a few miles from Hopewell from 2000-2010. Loved that area and spent many days in that little town. That is a beautiful home.

4. Emily Jackson says

Lovely! There is nothing I don’t love about this house. My dream home! If I could, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

The “antique home enthusiast” in me is blown away!!!! What a wonderfully preserved home! Those wide plank floorboards are stunning! I have to go back and study these pictures, for I am in love!

6. jen says

How pretty and sweet with beautiful floors themed the beams and windows gives it toms charm

Wow! I just took a look at the real estate site! The last photo is of the barn/artist studio! I love it!

8. Erica says

This is exactly the type of house I love. I live in a slightly newer house (about 75 years old) but it has a very similar feel. So warm and cozy. Thank you for sharing!

9. 65andcounting says

I can see the house smiling that it is STILL surrounded by 200 acres of undeveloped and preserved land, as it was in 1813. That in itself makes the house worth a fortune. So many old homes are the only vestige of antiquity surrounded by modern cookie cutters as land owners sell sell sell.

I hope the new buyer appreciates the house heritage and treats it as well as its former owners have.

10. Leanna says

I could step right into any one of these photos and feel right at home. It strikes the perfect balance between being cozy and lived in, while still looking picture-perfect. So many homes “look” pretty but feel void of character because they are so staged. Not this one. Love it.

11. Judy Jennings says

When I see a house like this I just start itching to arrange all of my “stuff” in there!

12. Maggie B says

Oh my gosh!!!!!! My jaw literally dropped when I saw these pictures! SO STUNNING!!!!! I LOVE IT!!

13. Ma says

I can’t even handle how gorgeous this house is! Wow!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

14. Esther George says

Wow Julia what a lovely home, so much space to get lost in…gotta love it. Thank you for sharing. Regards Esther from Sydney.

15. Linzy says

Julia, this reminds me a lot of a property that I drive by for work sometimes (I’m a landscaper, so I get around a bit). I loved the exterior and the gardens so much I just had to look up the listing. The inside is a biiiit country for me, but oh the possibilities. I have no idea who lives there, I’m just completely in love with this place and thought I might share. You can check it out here if you want, http://www.trulia.com/property/3047396678-3372-Route-30-Cornwall-VT-05753
    Enjoy!

16. Imre Zat says

Wonderful house! Dear Julia! I really miss your Movie Monday posts :)

17. Lynn says

The furnishings are just as perfect as the house. I just got lost staring at these pictures! An absolutely gorgeous home!

18. Carolyn says

Wonderful! I love the well-cared-for antiquity. Especially love the floors, doors, beams, and natural surroundings and privacy!

19. Alie B says

Love the house. The kitchen feels a bit like the kitchen in the old house in the movie Marley and Me. :) I get the feeling the homeowners have had to put away about 50% of their stuff to stage the home. I think I would crave a bit more color and texture, but otherwise it’s perfect!

20. Janet Rankin says

I absolutely love this home. It is so warm and charming.