An Old Post and Beam Farmhouse in Hopewell

by hookedonhouses on October 27, 2013

Post and Beam Farmhouse circa 1813 Hopewell NJ

Alantha wrote me about her mother’s “really beautiful and unique post and beam farmhouse” in Hopewell, New Jersey. It was built in 1813, and although it has been updated, many of the original details remain intact. It sits on nearly 8 acres and is surrounded by 200 more of “preserved land.” Take a look…

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (16)

The listing says: “Circa 1800’s post and beam restored farm house with many original details and authentic renovations. The long private drive, leads you to this charming homestead, surrounded by 200 acres of preserved land. The welcoming front porch will lead you into the foyer, which is flanked by a formal living room and formal dining room.”

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (3)

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (2)

“Large, original wood burning fireplace, with massive pine mantel surround & stone hearth creates a wonderful dining experience. The open kitchen & family room, with WB fireplace, lots of windows and French doors, leading to the side porch & patio for outdoor entertaining.”

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (10)

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (8)

“Beamed ceilings and gorgeous restored antique flooring throughout, will impress the antique home enthusiast.” (That’s probably an understatement!)

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (13)

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (9)

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (15)

There are 4 bedrooms and 2.5 baths.

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (11)

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (12)

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (14)

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (4)

For more photos and information about this wonderful old farmhouse, check the listing with Lisa James Otto.

32 Stony Brook Hopewell NJ 1800s Farmhouse For Sale (6)

Thanks to Alantha for telling us about it. And if you have a listing you think my readers would like to see, feel free to send it to me!

Julia-simple teal signature

Click here to see more interesting properties I’ve featured, including…

1700s Farmhouse-700 Hedges Sagaponack smA Classic Farmhouse in the Hamptons

Christina from Dallas October 27, 2013 at 9:19 am

What a lovely home! The beams are gorgeous! I love that long countertop in the kitchen. It seems like such a warm and cozy place. Good luck on the sale!

Laura October 27, 2013 at 9:37 am

That’s a gorgeous house! I love the floors, french doors, windows and decor. As a “Jersey girl” who now lives in VA, I know how many beautiful places there are in my home state. Thanks for showing one of them.

Carol M October 27, 2013 at 10:47 am

I lived just a few miles from Hopewell from 2000-2010. Loved that area and spent many days in that little town. That is a beautiful home.

Emily Jackson October 27, 2013 at 11:28 am

Lovely! There is nothing I don’t love about this house. My dream home! If I could, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

House Crazy Sarah October 27, 2013 at 12:33 pm

The “antique home enthusiast” in me is blown away!!!! What a wonderfully preserved home! Those wide plank floorboards are stunning! I have to go back and study these pictures, for I am in love!

Karen W. October 27, 2013 at 12:48 pm

To.Die.For. Wow!!!

jen October 27, 2013 at 1:01 pm

How pretty and sweet with beautiful floors themed the beams and windows gives it toms charm

Donna October 27, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Wow! I just took a look at the real estate site! The last photo is of the barn/artist studio! I love it!

Erica October 27, 2013 at 1:58 pm

This is exactly the type of house I love. I live in a slightly newer house (about 75 years old) but it has a very similar feel. So warm and cozy. Thank you for sharing!

65andcounting October 27, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I can see the house smiling that it is STILL surrounded by 200 acres of undeveloped and preserved land, as it was in 1813. That in itself makes the house worth a fortune. So many old homes are the only vestige of antiquity surrounded by modern cookie cutters as land owners sell sell sell.

I hope the new buyer appreciates the house heritage and treats it as well as its former owners have.

Leanna October 27, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I could step right into any one of these photos and feel right at home. It strikes the perfect balance between being cozy and lived in, while still looking picture-perfect. So many homes “look” pretty but feel void of character because they are so staged. Not this one. Love it.

tricia @ littlecottageonthepond October 27, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Love this! My sister lives in a 100 year old farmhouse in NJ. The homes up there are just lovely. I adore all the woodwork and the simplicity of the design.

Judy Jennings October 27, 2013 at 6:29 pm

When I see a house like this I just start itching to arrange all of my “stuff” in there!

Maggie B October 27, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Oh my gosh!!!!!! My jaw literally dropped when I saw these pictures! SO STUNNING!!!!! I LOVE IT!!

Ma October 27, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I can’t even handle how gorgeous this house is! Wow!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

Esther George October 27, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Wow Julia what a lovely home, so much space to get lost in…gotta love it. Thank you for sharing. Regards Esther from Sydney.

Linzy October 27, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Julia, this reminds me a lot of a property that I drive by for work sometimes (I’m a landscaper, so I get around a bit). I loved the exterior and the gardens so much I just had to look up the listing. The inside is a biiiit country for me, but oh the possibilities. I have no idea who lives there, I’m just completely in love with this place and thought I might share. You can check it out here if you want, http://www.trulia.com/property/3047396678-3372-Route-30-Cornwall-VT-05753
Enjoy!

hookedonhouses October 27, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Thanks, Linzy! It’s lovely, and I agree — lots of potential there!

Kim October 28, 2013 at 1:45 am

Very charming! I love the wood beams.

debra gardiner October 28, 2013 at 3:55 am

Beautiful home.

Imre Zat October 28, 2013 at 7:09 am

Wonderful house! Dear Julia! I really miss your Movie Monday posts :)

hookedonhouses October 28, 2013 at 7:15 am

Then you’re in luck today! I’m featuring the sets from “The Great Gatsby” — http://hookedonhouses.net/2013/10/28/the-beautiful-sets-in-baz-luhrmanns-great-gatsby/.

Lynn October 28, 2013 at 8:21 am

The furnishings are just as perfect as the house. I just got lost staring at these pictures! An absolutely gorgeous home!

Carolyn October 28, 2013 at 8:37 am

Wonderful! I love the well-cared-for antiquity. Especially love the floors, doors, beams, and natural surroundings and privacy!

Alie B October 28, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Love the house. The kitchen feels a bit like the kitchen in the old house in the movie Marley and Me. :) I get the feeling the homeowners have had to put away about 50% of their stuff to stage the home. I think I would crave a bit more color and texture, but otherwise it’s perfect!

cecile delouvrier October 28, 2013 at 2:45 pm

such a lovely house!!! feels so cosy!!!

Janet Rankin October 28, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I absolutely love this home. It is so warm and charming.