A New House Inspired by Old French Country Cottages

by hookedonhouses on February 21, 2013

Barnes Vanze Architects New Country French Cottage (3)This charming home may be fairly new and big, but it was designed to have the warmth and patina of an old French country cottage. I love the details that Barnes Vanze Architects put into it, from brick floors to beamed ceilings.

Barnes Vanze Architects New Country French Cottage (1)

The architect describes it as a new country French cottage: “The clipped gables, engaged dormer and belvedere tower connect with their inspirational rural examples in France from Normandy to the Dordogne.”

New Country French Cottage stone fireplace

“Reclaimed wood, tiles, stone, natural stucco and interior plaster offer patina and familiarity, while wrought iron details and handmade tile add fine-scaled detail.”

Barnes Vanze Architects New Country French Cottage (10)

One of my favorite spaces is this living room with its wood and tile fireplace and built-in bookshelves:

New Country French Cottage living room

Barnes Vanze Architects New Country French Cottage (8)

But what really grabbed my attention was the kitchen:

Barnes Vanze Architects New Country French Cottage (7)

This is the first photo I saw of the house (below) and was the reason I had to see more:

Barnes Vanze Architects New Country French Cottage (6)

I was excited to find not only the kitchen but the rest of the house in Barnes Vanze Architect’s portfolio at Houzz. Head over there for more photos and info, or check out the Barnes Vanze website.

New French Country Cottage kitchen beamed ceilings

Principal Designer on the project was Anthony “Ankie” Barnes. Photos taken by Anice Hoachlander of Hoachlander Davis Photography.

New French Country Cottage by Barnes Vanze Architects

Hooked on French Country style? Check out Designer Suzy Stout’s farmhouse:

designer Suzy Stout's French Country Farmhouse

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

Rich February 21, 2013 at 7:36 am

Well done! I’ll take it, furniture and all! Bet there’s even a car in the garage that I could get used to… Nice understated interior details, love the soft corners.

Joan February 21, 2013 at 12:09 pm

OK, Rich – if you take the house, can I at least drive the car?

I’m with you – furniture and all!

Sam February 21, 2013 at 8:16 am

Wow, that’s a beautiful house. Love that kitchen! And the colours :)
I use the Houzz app on my iPad!

Julie February 21, 2013 at 8:19 am

Absolutely LOVE it. Totally my taste. And having a large house with a cozy cottage feel was exactly my plan for our house, too! It can be done! Thanks for sharing!

House Crazy Sarah February 21, 2013 at 9:03 am

damn I love those brick floors! They did a dynamite job – the house is gorgeous AND cozy!

martha February 21, 2013 at 10:23 am

Lovely…really big, but still charming. Not crazy about the crest over the fireplace,the empty spot behind it seemed like maybe a space for a flat screen tv ,but kind of odd. Other than that, the colors, the brick floors, the ceilings…everything was gorgeous!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room February 21, 2013 at 11:13 am

WOW! Very charming!

Patti February 21, 2013 at 11:34 am

So many good ideas. That fireplace is to die for.

Jake's a Girl February 21, 2013 at 11:42 am

Beautiful!
The only thing I would change is the wide grout lines in the brick floor entry…A bit closer together, please. Little more upkeep than i’d like.

Marcia February 22, 2013 at 7:57 am

If you lived here, someone else would take care of the upkeep. Love this house!

Alie B February 21, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Lovely! Nice, warm color palette and I love the reclaimed beams. Not as keen on the attached garage, which in my opinion takes away from the traditional character of the home. Other than that, it’s perfect! :)

Joan February 21, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Wow. Absolutely LOVE this house! (The stairwell sold me.)

I love the fireplace – and how nice that they didn’t ruin it with a TV, although that bare spot DOES call out for something???

Signe February 21, 2013 at 12:28 pm

The kitchen is unbelievably beautiful… AND I love the choice of light fixtures. Just great details throughout!

Martina February 21, 2013 at 12:31 pm

GORGEOUS!! I LOVE IT ALL!

Jennah February 21, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Oooooh my!!! I love this home! Absolutely stunning!

Jane George February 21, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Swoon! I’m normally an old(er) house nut but this is gorgeous. Only nitpick I have is the kitchen island looks a tad too heavy for my aesthetics, it weights the room too much. Something lighter, more akin to the kitchen in the Practical Magic house would meld better. Where is this beautiful house?

Alie B February 22, 2013 at 8:25 am

You made an interesting point about the kitchen. I actually had to go back and look at Julia’s Practical Magic post, to see the island again. Is the one in the movie really smaller and less bulky than this one? I’m not sure. I do know that they are both gorgeous kitchens.

Jane George February 23, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Now I’m thinking an old French farm table or the like would work better. Something with some air. I went to the website and saw some huge, heavy islands with the row of seating in some of the other houses too. They are both gorgeous kitchens. Glad to know one of them is real. :)

Sue February 21, 2013 at 2:09 pm

French Country is a love of mine, so this just made my day!

Bettsi February 21, 2013 at 2:29 pm

This is so beautiful! Usually I don’t like big new houses made to look vintage/charming, but the architect really did this right. Gorgeous!

Nita February 21, 2013 at 2:39 pm

My favorite style! Not so fond of the arched fireplace, but I like everything else.

Julie M. February 21, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Ohhh…laaaa….

: )

Julie M.

Dee February 21, 2013 at 3:11 pm

This house is beautiful! I would take it just as it is. Wouldn’t change a thing!

Laura February 21, 2013 at 3:36 pm

That is very, very nice. I don’t like big houses or new houses normally, but they really did a nice job of capturing the feeling of an old French house. I love the gothic arch and tile on the fireplace but not the crest too much. Hope a tv doesn’t go in the empty space. A gorgeous oil painting would be much better (maybe with the tv behind it). Love the lighting, especially the lack of recessed lights – it makes all the difference in the character and feeling. It’s not exactly my taste but I can’t fault any of the design – a wonderful job. I want to know where this house is too!

Kellie February 21, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Lovely blog, I haven’t been here before. I was lucky enough to work on this project and its one of my favorites. Great mix of reclaimed, old, and new. …Now, I’m going back to check out some of your other posts!

Hasbro February 21, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Attention to detail is painfully architectural to last centimeter and character is lost – brighten areas up too

stef February 21, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I’m with others who said the architect managed to create warmth and intimacy in a large space. The baseboards and other rich touches are beautiful. What a lovely home.
I am SO over teal, though.
Please, some warm country French colors, mustard gold, soft pinks and violets, Mediterranean blues…..and some fabrics on the windows, if only a valance.

Mochelle Rodgers February 21, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I would love to see what designer Charles Faudree would have done with this beautiful home.

Screendoorgirl 3 February 21, 2013 at 8:26 pm

So beautiful! I love it all! Feels like home (dream home).. :)

Tracie February 21, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Absolutely beautiful! I want it now!

Carolyn February 21, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Gorgeous! I love the blue green cabinets in the kitchen – yes, I saw them on Houzz, too. And I really like the small arched tile fireplace with the built-ins around it. The tile picks up the kitchen color – is this room off the kitchen? There is room on the mantel shelf for simple accessories on either side or a painting in the center – but I do love that cartouche. The stone fireplace in the great room and all the reclaimed beams are gorgeous too. I’d take it just like it is.

Kim February 21, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Gorgeous home! I love the rustic wood beams on each ceiling and I must say, each room was well done.

Liz February 21, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Beautiful home, but I can never understand why a big house like this is so close to its neighbor. What happened to set-backs and such? Doesn’t anyone want a big yard anymore?

Susan February 22, 2013 at 9:34 am

This is truly wonderful! The house is so true to it’s character. I love that! So often I see such a hodge pods of periods and styles in new construction. Builder’s take note and learn about architecture. Might just help you sell more houses! Thanks for showing us this charming home.

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Katie February 22, 2013 at 11:19 am

Love the brick floors!

Do you know what they finished/sealed them with?

Staircase is stunning!
K

Catherine February 22, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Wow, they really got this right! Just stunning.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com February 22, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I looove that kitchen.

Sue February 22, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Packing my bags as I type! Movin’ IN!

Esther George February 23, 2013 at 2:49 am

How lovely…. Hi Julia I want the kitchen and everything that comes with it. Thank you for sharing. Esther from Sydney …the land of Oz one side is on fire the other side it’s raining by the buckets…crazy

Dina February 23, 2013 at 6:09 am

The kitchen is really refreshing. I’m so tired of wall-to-wall-to-floor-to-ceiling cabinets with granite counter tops, so I’m hoping we will be seeing more of this
pre-20th century inspiration in new kitchen construction. Although, I think I would have gone with a big old french harvest table and chairs instead of the island that looks too big and heavy for the space.

Jeff White February 23, 2013 at 3:16 pm

As being the lead trim carpenter, it was the most fun and challenging project I have done in years. Thank you Mary Stewart and Gibson Builders.

Jeff White February 23, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Special thanks to the architect, Barnes Vanze, for such a challenging project. Is that all you got mate?

{ 3 trackbacks }