A Beach Cottage That’s Black and White and Red All Over

BHG beach house with red accents-living roomWhen February rolls around and Valentine’s Day with it, I suddenly start craving more red in my house. The only room that has much of it right now is my sunroom. I loved this 1912 beachside cottage featured in Better Homes and Gardens because the homeowners broke away from the typical beachy blues and went with punches of red instead.

BHG beach house with red accents-white slipcovered chair 2

They whitewashed the red-brick fireplace to make it look more “mellow.”

beach house living room with red accents BHG

The article says, “Casual and fun is the perfect description for this minimally remodeled, vintage-adorable two-story home along the coast where open windows let in fresh ocean breezes and a Dutch door welcomes guests. A sidewalk is all that separates the house from the beach.

BHG beach house with red accents-dining room

“With a passion for fixing up old houses the couple saw the potential in this early 20th century charmer right away. The original board-and-batten wainscoting, built-in cupboards, and exposed beam ceilings were remarkably intact, though the fir floorboards were buried under layers of linoleum and indoor-outdoor carpet. The homeowners refinished the floors and freshened the woodwork with durable white marine paint.”

BHG beach house with red accents-bedroom

black dresser in bedroom

Washable white denim slipcovers protect the chairs. I can attest to the fact that they work. We’ve had a white denim slipcover on our playroom sofa for 10 years and it washes up great.

BHG beach house with red accents-white slipcovered chair

The kitchen counters and backsplash are black soapstone. I’d never think to do that much black in a beach cottage kitchen, but it totally works. And how great is that shelf above the window? LOVE.

BHG beach house with red accents-kitchen

Head to BHG for more photos and info.

P.S. If pink is more your thing…

10 Pretty Pink Rooms

10 Rooms That Are Pretty in Pink for Valentine’s Day

Comments

1. Beth says

That black backsplash sure was a gutsy choice, but I love that it gives a twist on straight up cottage. It totally works!

• 65andcounting says

My thoughts exactly. We have a beach cottage with the same white cabinets and black counters. We haven’t gotten around to putting up the tile backsplash, just assumed we’d do white subway tiles, but this black tile has given us an idea that would never have occurred to us before! Love it.

2. maddie says

Casual perfection. Wonderfully done. The vintage accents & decor styling are the icing on the cake.

I love the decor in the beach house. Of course, pretty much anything in red makes me swoon.

4. Laura says

Black, white and red really works in a traditional house with lots of wood! ( In a modern house with chrome and glass – eewww.)

5. Christna from Dallas says

LOVE! What wonderful taste these homeowners have! I just love everything about it. I love that shelf over the sink. Love those red and white touches. I could look at houses like this all day long

6. Lisa says

Beachy. Cottage. Vintage. Perfect! I could hang my hat there permanently. Absolutely LOVE it!

7. Annabelle Kopf says

This is so incredibly charming and beautiful! So much to inspire. This has definitely been added to my personal all-time favorites list. Thank you for sharing! :)

Perfection!
    So often when I see rooms or entire homes decorated in black, white and red, it sometimes looks either too retro, modern or just simply dated. All I see when looking at this home is a charming, cozy beach cottage. It’s a beautiful home and I love everything about it!

If I could pick this house up and move it to my property I totally would. I don’t know how it’s possible how a person like me can have so many favorite houses, but I do. How am I supposed to decide on a house plan when there are so many different architectural details that I love?

10. ShabbyChick says

PERFECTION. Just my style. And PINK is definitely my thing, too! 😉

11. Melanie Penelope says

Oh how inspiring! Lots of ideas to take away from this beautiful home. Thanks for sharing Julia :)

12. Laurie says

We’re do you get the white slip covers? Do you have to get them made special for your furniture? Magazines always show them on furniture with the sisal rugs. Love the look but it must be expensive.

• says

I got mine at Target years ago (for the playroom sofa), so it isn’t as fitted as these. However, the slipcovered look is so popular now that a lot of furniture is sold this way. For instance, I have the Ektorp sofa and chairs with slipcovers from IKEA, so they’re made specifically for those pieces of furniture and are fitted for them. They weren’t expensive at all. You can get them custom made or from more expensive furniture stores, too, of course. Sometimes they can cost more than the chairs themselves!

• Amy says

There’s a great online company called Bemz (bemz.com) that sells slipcovers for IKEA pieces. All kinds of fabrics! (I’m not affiliated with them at all — in the market for a slip-covered sofa.)

13. Alie B says

Wow! Beautiful! I have never considered whitewashing the inside of my cottage until now. I think you’re right; the pops of red really up the cozy factor! :)

14. Rebecca C. says

I love everything about this house. The red on the door, the furniture, the black backsplash, all the pillows. It’s beautiful.

When I saw the title of your post, I thought, I wonder if it’s that one that I love in Newport Beach? Yep, it is! Love this house…love the colors, the style…every single thing. Great post! :)

16. Marcia Weber says

Beautifully done. Love all that you did. Red is my favorite color. Everything is very tastefully put together and very welcoming!

17. Kelly says

Love it! Red can sometimes look dated in a home, but they way they used it in small doses, coupled with the white walls, is so perfect!!

18. Tracie says

Love Love Love! I’m not a fan of red, but like how it is just used as accents and can be easily changed out. I LOVE all of the antiques mixed with plush, comfy furniture! That could be my forever home.

Oh yes! It is my favorite color scheme, AND this is one of my favorite homes featured in a magazine. Such a cute and welcoming place! I could easily move in and not change one single thing.
    Lots of red going on over at my place (“lots” as in the last 3 posts!) So if you want a dose of red come on over for a visit. :)
    Kelly

20. Kim says

I love the pops of color from the accessories. They make the home look warm and inviting.

21. Becky says

Too funny! I have had the photo of this living room on my fridge since I saw it in the magazine. I’m obsessed with the sofa! Great to see it all again on your blog!

22. Carolyn says

Love everything about this cottage. And I’m not even a red person (I’m of the blue persuasion ;-)).

23. Cindy says

I’m swooning! (Appropriate for – almost – Valentine’s Day, right? LOL) I love this house! :-)

24. Kathleen says

What a pretty look! I love the color blue, but I am *not* into shells and fish and marine life. So the beach style I see portrayed in magazines seems to be “Cover every horizontal and vertical surface with shriveled bits from the ocean and beach.” Okay, maybe not that extreme… Anyway, this is a refreshing beach cottage style. Thank your for sharing!

25. Julie B. says

Absolutely beautiful. Love the colors and the general style of the home. My fave picture is of the white chair in front of the bedroom window with that view. I will look at these photos again for instant stress relief! Thank you.

26. Maria says

Oh you little beach cottages…how you and your bright reflective light bewitch me.

Love

(and the red with all the beachy seems sort of yacht-y to me)

You could certainly see your enthusiasm within the article you write.
    The world hopes for more passionate writers such
    as you who are not afraid to say how they believe.
    At all times follow your heart.

28. Karen says

I followed the link from your other post to this and I’m so glad that I did. I love this. I just adore it. I’m not usually a red person at all, but I really love how they used it here–it is simply perfection. I’m usually much more drawn to blues and greens, however here I love the red and think they completely understand the concept of what judicious use means.

I really appreciate that they whitewashed the fireplace working with the red, instead of painting it completely white or making it more modern. A Dutch door would work well in this environment too given the sea breezes and that there usually isn’t a lot of issues with bugs. I love the vintage look and feel of the place and I really appreciate that they saw the potential of the place and respected the footprint. I grew up loving and appreciating homes like these and if this is Newport Beach I once knew it well. Glad to see other people who appreciate these homes as I do. I’m happy knowing that they still exist. Thank you for featuring such an inspiring and lovely gem. My gosh wouldn’t you just love to live here.