A Beach Cottage That’s Black and White and Red All Over

by hookedonhouses on February 12, 2013

BHG beach house with red accents-living roomWhen February rolls around and Valentine’s Day with it, I suddenly start craving more red in my house. The only room that has much of it right now is my sunroom. I loved this 1912 beachside cottage featured in Better Homes and Gardens because the homeowners broke away from the typical beachy blues and went with punches of red instead.

BHG beach house with red accents-white slipcovered chair 2

They whitewashed the red-brick fireplace to make it look more “mellow.”

beach house living room with red accents BHG

The article says, “Casual and fun is the perfect description for this minimally remodeled, vintage-adorable two-story home along the coast where open windows let in fresh ocean breezes and a Dutch door welcomes guests. A sidewalk is all that separates the house from the beach.

BHG beach house with red accents-dining room

“With a passion for fixing up old houses the couple saw the potential in this early 20th century charmer right away. The original board-and-batten wainscoting, built-in cupboards, and exposed beam ceilings were remarkably intact, though the fir floorboards were buried under layers of linoleum and indoor-outdoor carpet. The homeowners refinished the floors and freshened the woodwork with durable white marine paint.”

BHG beach house with red accents-bedroom

black dresser in bedroom

Washable white denim slipcovers protect the chairs. I can attest to the fact that they work. We’ve had a white denim slipcover on our playroom sofa for 10 years and it washes up great.

BHG beach house with red accents-white slipcovered chair

The kitchen counters and backsplash are black soapstone. I’d never think to do that much black in a beach cottage kitchen, but it totally works. And how great is that shelf above the window? LOVE.

BHG beach house with red accents-kitchen

Thanks to The Inspired Room for bringing this cozy cottage to my attention. Head to BHG for more photos and info.

P.S. If pink is more your thing…

10 Pretty Pink Rooms

10 Rooms That Are Pretty in Pink for Valentine’s Day

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

Jenny@EvolutionofStyle February 12, 2013 at 7:55 am

Oh my goodness – I love it! What a lucky homeowner to have such a glorious beach retreat!

Beth February 12, 2013 at 8:13 am

That black backsplash sure was a gutsy choice, but I love that it gives a twist on straight up cottage. It totally works!

65andcounting February 12, 2013 at 8:53 am

My thoughts exactly. We have a beach cottage with the same white cabinets and black counters. We haven’t gotten around to putting up the tile backsplash, just assumed we’d do white subway tiles, but this black tile has given us an idea that would never have occurred to us before! Love it.

Randy February 12, 2013 at 8:32 am

Really nice! Makes me wonder what the house looks like from the outside?

hookedonhouses February 12, 2013 at 8:40 am

Click that link at the end of the post to go to BHG.com–there’s a photo of it there!

Jane February 12, 2013 at 8:40 am

Oh I love everything about this beach house! Beautiful!

maddie February 12, 2013 at 8:47 am

Casual perfection. Wonderfully done. The vintage accents & decor styling are the icing on the cake.

Carol February 12, 2013 at 8:52 am

I love the decor in the beach house. Of course, pretty much anything in red makes me swoon.

Laura February 12, 2013 at 8:58 am

Black, white and red really works in a traditional house with lots of wood! ( In a modern house with chrome and glass – eewww.)

House Crazy Sarah February 12, 2013 at 9:08 am

The white-washed fireplace is brilliant! What great historic cottage – they did a fantastic job!

Christna from Dallas February 12, 2013 at 9:32 am

LOVE! What wonderful taste these homeowners have! I just love everything about it. I love that shelf over the sink. Love those red and white touches. I could look at houses like this all day long

Lisa February 12, 2013 at 9:34 am

Beachy. Cottage. Vintage. Perfect! I could hang my hat there permanently. Absolutely LOVE it!

Luciane at HomeBunch.com February 12, 2013 at 9:59 am

This is so beautiful! I love the feeling I get from this place and you know how much I love cottages, right? :-)

Hugs to you, Julia!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Annabelle Kopf February 12, 2013 at 10:06 am

This is so incredibly charming and beautiful! So much to inspire. This has definitely been added to my personal all-time favorites list. Thank you for sharing! :)

Aria @TheUglyBarnFarm February 12, 2013 at 10:31 am

Perfection!
So often when I see rooms or entire homes decorated in black, white and red, it sometimes looks either too retro, modern or just simply dated. All I see when looking at this home is a charming, cozy beach cottage. It’s a beautiful home and I love everything about it!

Patti February 12, 2013 at 10:50 am

If I could pick this house up and move it to my property I totally would. I don’t know how it’s possible how a person like me can have so many favorite houses, but I do. How am I supposed to decide on a house plan when there are so many different architectural details that I love?

ShabbyChick February 12, 2013 at 10:57 am

PERFECTION. Just my style. And PINK is definitely my thing, too! ;)

Jen February 12, 2013 at 11:38 am

very nice idea

Melanie Penelope February 12, 2013 at 11:50 am

Oh how inspiring! Lots of ideas to take away from this beautiful home. Thanks for sharing Julia :)

Laurie February 12, 2013 at 12:15 pm

We’re do you get the white slip covers? Do you have to get them made special for your furniture? Magazines always show them on furniture with the sisal rugs. Love the look but it must be expensive.

hookedonhouses February 12, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I got mine at Target years ago (for the playroom sofa), so it isn’t as fitted as these. However, the slipcovered look is so popular now that a lot of furniture is sold this way. For instance, I have the Ektorp sofa and chairs with slipcovers from IKEA, so they’re made specifically for those pieces of furniture and are fitted for them. They weren’t expensive at all. You can get them custom made or from more expensive furniture stores, too, of course. Sometimes they can cost more than the chairs themselves!

Amy February 14, 2013 at 1:22 am

There’s a great online company called Bemz (bemz.com) that sells slipcovers for IKEA pieces. All kinds of fabrics! (I’m not affiliated with them at all — in the market for a slip-covered sofa.)

Alie B February 12, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Wow! Beautiful! I have never considered whitewashing the inside of my cottage until now. I think you’re right; the pops of red really up the cozy factor! :)

Julie @ The Family CEO February 12, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I love it! Maybe one of my favorite homes ever. I’m sure I’ll be pinning every picture. Like you, I like the unexpected color scheme.

mishelle February 12, 2013 at 12:59 pm

AAH yes a more realistic beach home i would love! Red :)

Rebecca C. February 12, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I love everything about this house. The red on the door, the furniture, the black backsplash, all the pillows. It’s beautiful.

Karen February 12, 2013 at 1:41 pm

When I saw the title of your post, I thought, I wonder if it’s that one that I love in Newport Beach? Yep, it is! Love this house…love the colors, the style…every single thing. Great post! :)

Marcia Weber February 12, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Beautifully done. Love all that you did. Red is my favorite color. Everything is very tastefully put together and very welcoming!

Kelly February 12, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Love it! Red can sometimes look dated in a home, but they way they used it in small doses, coupled with the white walls, is so perfect!!

Destiny February 12, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Oh-so-lovely in every single way!

Tracie February 12, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Love Love Love! I’m not a fan of red, but like how it is just used as accents and can be easily changed out. I LOVE all of the antiques mixed with plush, comfy furniture! That could be my forever home.

Sarah February 12, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I want these homeowners to adopt me. I love this house.

Kelly - Talk of the House February 13, 2013 at 12:22 am

Oh yes! It is my favorite color scheme, AND this is one of my favorite homes featured in a magazine. Such a cute and welcoming place! I could easily move in and not change one single thing.
Lots of red going on over at my place (“lots” as in the last 3 posts!) So if you want a dose of red come on over for a visit. :)
Kelly

Kim February 13, 2013 at 1:14 am

I love the pops of color from the accessories. They make the home look warm and inviting.

Becky February 13, 2013 at 9:11 am

Too funny! I have had the photo of this living room on my fridge since I saw it in the magazine. I’m obsessed with the sofa! Great to see it all again on your blog!

Carolyn February 13, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Love everything about this cottage. And I’m not even a red person (I’m of the blue persuasion ;-)).

Cindy February 13, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I’m swooning! (Appropriate for – almost – Valentine’s Day, right? LOL) I love this house! :-)

Kathleen February 14, 2013 at 10:42 am

What a pretty look! I love the color blue, but I am *not* into shells and fish and marine life. So the beach style I see portrayed in magazines seems to be “Cover every horizontal and vertical surface with shriveled bits from the ocean and beach.” Okay, maybe not that extreme… Anyway, this is a refreshing beach cottage style. Thank your for sharing!

Julie B. February 14, 2013 at 11:55 am

Absolutely beautiful. Love the colors and the general style of the home. My fave picture is of the white chair in front of the bedroom window with that view. I will look at these photos again for instant stress relief! Thank you.

Maria February 15, 2013 at 4:32 am

Oh you little beach cottages…how you and your bright reflective light bewitch me.

Love

(and the red with all the beachy seems sort of yacht-y to me)

Boucherie Beach June 5, 2013 at 11:48 am

Beach cottages are renowned for its oversized rooms and suites, which are ideal for families.

Meri June 18, 2013 at 12:30 pm

What color neutral paint did you use on your walls?

hookedonhouses June 18, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Follow the link to the original article and see if they mention it!

urban beauty August 13, 2013 at 1:16 pm

You could certainly see your enthusiasm within the article you write.
The world hopes for more passionate writers such
as you who are not afraid to say how they believe.
At all times follow your heart.

Karen August 14, 2013 at 10:27 am

I followed the link from your other post to this and I’m so glad that I did. I love this. I just adore it. I’m not usually a red person at all, but I really love how they used it here–it is simply perfection. I’m usually much more drawn to blues and greens, however here I love the red and think they completely understand the concept of what judicious use means.

I really appreciate that they whitewashed the fireplace working with the red, instead of painting it completely white or making it more modern. A Dutch door would work well in this environment too given the sea breezes and that there usually isn’t a lot of issues with bugs. I love the vintage look and feel of the place and I really appreciate that they saw the potential of the place and respected the footprint. I grew up loving and appreciating homes like these and if this is Newport Beach I once knew it well. Glad to see other people who appreciate these homes as I do. I’m happy knowing that they still exist. Thank you for featuring such an inspiring and lovely gem. My gosh wouldn’t you just love to live here.

{ 2 trackbacks }