Warming Up My Sunroom for Winter

by hookedonhouses on December 14, 2012

Getting Cozy in My Sunroom Christmas 1212 500

When we initially started planning our sunroom addition about 2 years ago, it was supposed to be a screened porch. But then I started thinking about how I’d like to spend more time out there, so I asked how much more it would cost to add windows. How about insulation under the floor and in the walls? A little heating unit sure would be nice, too…

Before we knew it, our humble screened-porch project evolved into a sunroom that we could use year-round. And it was one of the best decisions we ever made.

It can feel a little chilly out there on the coldest days of winter, though, with all those windows and electric heat, so I warm things up as much as possible. Replacing some of the yellow with red seems to help! A few thick, soft throws to wrap tootsies in do, too.

And in the afternoons after the kids get home from school, mugs of hot chocolate do the trick with whipped cream and chocolate chips on top. Yum.

I love listening to the Indie Holiday Station on Pandora when I’m out here (we have a Roku box hooked up to the TV so we can stream Netflix and Hulu Plus movies in the sunroom, too).

I’m always mixing things up out here. For example, here’s how the sunroom looked a couple weeks ago:

And here’s how it looked after I found lime-green velvet pillows at Target that I couldn’t resist and then moved some things around:

My Shih Tzu Maizie can usually be found right here on the sofa (it’s an Ektorp from IKEA). She loves to lie in the sun. She seems to think she’s a cat. She doesn’t ever really bark, just kind of makes little “purring sounds” when she wants our attention.

For a long time we thought it was the result of her injuries. But then when my mom’s (adorable!) Yorkipoo pestered her a little too much one day, trying to get her to play, Maizie finally turned and yapped at her. We were stunned! It was like, wow, she can talk!

Thanks for stopping by my sunroom on this cold winter day. Maizie and I hope you come back for another visit soon. There’s plenty of hot choc for everyone. :-)

Visit My House to see more of it, including:

Christmas-in-my-Dining-Room-Hooked-on-Houses

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

Razmataz December 14, 2012 at 8:27 am

O love your room. What a fabulous addition to the home. We have a screened room in Florida and I would love to make it a proper room. Did you run the AC/Heat to this room? Did you have to get a permit given it was built on an existing screened room?

hookedonhouses December 14, 2012 at 8:33 am

We just have a heat/AC unit in the wall like you’d find in a hotel room, which saved us a lot of money. We did have to get permits–including permission from our neighborhood HOA.

Alie B December 14, 2012 at 8:53 am

Lovely! I can see why you spend so much time in this room. The surrounding woodsiness (is this a real word? lol) is pretty and Christmasey too! :-)

MelanieL December 14, 2012 at 8:56 am

It looks so cozy! I love the dining set, what a functional space. Thanks for sharing, Merry Christmas!

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside December 14, 2012 at 8:56 am

I love your sunroom and the seasonal changes! We are currently closing in our screen porch, all the windows are in and the insulation has started going in. Blessings, Tammy

the 7msn ranch December 14, 2012 at 8:57 am

I’ve been reading and re-reading and re-re-reading all your sunroom posts lately and rethought my enclosed porch concept as a result. I hadn’t realized how important it was to match the new windows to the existing windows on the house, and just looking at yours made me nix having a sunroom company build mine. Bottom line, construction starts just after the first of the year and my original builder is coming back to do the work. Thank you for the invaluable advice and all your in-progress photos! I’ll be blogging about mine start to finish. Hope it turns out half as nice as yours.

hookedonhouses December 14, 2012 at 9:31 am

I’m excited for you! Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

House Crazy Sarah December 14, 2012 at 9:07 am

Gosh all those windows are gorgeous! Even when the leaves are off the trees, it still brings such a woodsy feel inside. And what a great hang-out spot!

Jennah December 14, 2012 at 9:23 am

What a beautiful, cozy room you’ve added, Julia! It’s beautiful and serene.

laney December 14, 2012 at 9:25 am

…beautiful and cozy…the perfect combination…at any time of the year…just be sure to take a picture for us if it snows…we will all have virtual hot chocolate together!…hugs and blessings laney

Christina from Dallas December 14, 2012 at 9:51 am

So cozy! I love the view out of the windows plus the touches of red and green and a cute dog and will you make me some hot chocolate? Sorry I was rambling. Your sun room really is so cute! You should pat yourselves on the back for that decision!

Erin December 14, 2012 at 10:14 am

I can see why your family spends so much time there! It always looks completely inviting & comfy! I’ve seen all the pictures you’ve posted of your sunroom in the past, but somehow I missed the bead ceiling treatment. It looks fantastic, and is one of my favorite features in this room!

Teresa December 14, 2012 at 10:49 am

Beautiful room Julia! Also, a very smart decision on your part to make it a four seasons room especially if you live in a colder weather climate. We added a screen porch on three years ago and have enjoyed it but you are limited to three seasons even in the south. I wish now we had gone ahead and made it a year round room especially this time of year. We still might do it in the near future.

Catherine December 14, 2012 at 10:50 am

I love this room so much! Honestly, I could just move right in (that wouldn’t be awkward would it??). I had to laugh at your little Shih-tzu not barking much. We have a rescued one as well and he never barks but one day barked at a squirrel through the window. We were all wondering where the sound was coming from!

hookedonhouses December 14, 2012 at 11:27 am

No kidding? Maybe it’s just a Shih-Tzu thing then, huh? We can’t believe how quiet she is!

ShabbyChick December 14, 2012 at 10:57 am

Love, love, love……I am so jealous of that mustard throw you had this summer, by the way! ;)

Sue December 14, 2012 at 11:31 am

Love your sun-room too Julia. We had a sun-room added onto the house too, but I failed to realize about the “windows” that they choose. Mine are not lovely like yours. We did install a Jotul in one corner that heats the room perfectly for year-round use.

Sandy December 14, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Well, speaking of beautiful homes…yours is just lovely Julia! What a bright and cherry sunroom. You did well decorating it. Your blog is such a delight to visit and brings such enjoyment to all of us. Have a very Merry Christmas sweetie!

Jen December 14, 2012 at 1:23 pm

What a pretty and cozy roon I love it

Karen December 14, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Beautiful sunroom, love the colour scheme. When our border collie was a puppy he used to make noises like a cat meowing. Now he barks and loudly.

Jane December 14, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Julia, Has your sunroom been in a magazine yet? If not it should be! It’s beautiful always and I love the little changes you make for each season! Love it!

Nathan December 14, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I love the colours you used! Very nice.

Susan December 14, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I love this room, it looks so welcoming and full of cheer. Congrats on a job well done!

erika December 14, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Adorable room. Cute 4 legged baby too. :)

E. george December 14, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Did you say hot chocolate….that did it. I love the beauty of your outdoors. I love your sunroom very inviting and Maizie adorable. I don’t do well in the cold but I love the dream of a white Christmas. Till next time Esther from Sydney.

Jeanne Winters December 14, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Two of the four houses we’ve lived in as a married couple had similar sunrooms and they were my FAVORITE part of the whole house! Beautiful!

melissa @ the inspired room December 14, 2012 at 10:21 pm

THAT ROOM!! I would love to have that in my home! Year round enjoyment! Beautiful. Thanks for linking up to the party, Julia! Merry Christmas to you and your family and of course that sweet pup! xo

Diane | An Extraordinary Day December 14, 2012 at 10:59 pm

What an inviting sunroom! I for sure would be spending my whole day out there. I love your warm touch with color. So cozy!!!
Merry Christmas Julia!

gena December 15, 2012 at 12:09 am

What a delicious space and it looks awesome dressed up in its holiday finery!
Thanks for sharing – your cozy space brought a smile to my face…

gena

Kim December 15, 2012 at 3:28 am

What a cozy inviting sunroom. Your decorations are so beautiful. If I had a room like that, I would spend a lot of time out there too.

cassie December 15, 2012 at 9:55 am

it all looks so bright and happy- i love how the colors pop against the white walls!

Mary WG December 15, 2012 at 10:55 am

Beautiful room! Where did you purchase the rug? And is it an indoor rug or an indoor/outdoor type?
Thanks!
MWG

hookedonhouses December 15, 2012 at 11:03 am

Thanks, Mary! I got it from Dash & Albert: http://www.dashandalbert.com/indoor-outdoor-rugs.

sj December 16, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Happy colors and fresh!

Richard December 16, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Like the room, like the furniture. Paint the brick white, I know you’ve pondered that.

hookedonhouses December 16, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Oh, no. I actually like the brick now that the room is finished and we’ve spent time in it. I won’t be painting it!

Richard December 16, 2012 at 10:32 pm

OK with me. Happy holidays, I love “Hooked on Houses”, always look to see what’s new.

Desiree {CHIC COASTAL LIVING} December 16, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Everything looks so pretty! Love how you can change things up for each season! That’s what’s great with neutral slipcovered sofas.

Pam @ Simple Details December 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Festive, fun and what a great spot to hang out! Love your lively decor and fur baby!

Rhonda - Silly Mummy December 22, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Wow, beautiful colours. I’ve been looking for a new ideas for my lounge room for the year of 2013. I think I’ve found some cool ideas here. I have a white rocking chair just like your one.

melissa@joyineveryseason December 23, 2012 at 3:52 pm

what a delightfully happy and festive place … wishing you lots of Merry in there this Christmas!

Angela @ Cottage Magpie December 27, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Oh my goodness, just look at all those gorgeous windows, and the beadboard ceiling, and the cute bright Christmas pillows!! It’s fantastic! ~Angela~