A White Christmas in a Country Farmhouse

by hookedonhouses on December 5, 2012

Trina and Mike’s blog A Country Farmhouse chronicles their adventures in renovating a “dilapidated seven-acre homestead 60 miles outside Portland.” You’ll also find adorable pics of their cutie-pie kids Margaret and Graham. I’ve been following their blog for a long time and was excited when Country Living featured their house decorated in clean, spare, white Christmas style.

Trina told Country Living, “I go crazy with the holiday greenery. I put garlands on the shelves and over the mirrors and doors. I love it everywhere!” She even painted the front door that they’re standing in front of, above, with a Sherwin-Williams paint called “Evergreens.”

Their bedroom has a 1940s mahogany four-poster bed that Trina rescued from a friend’s barn. The wood looks gorgeous against all the white.

The nursery features an Albrecht Durer owl print above the Jenny Lind crib.

Trina just wrote a post on her blog about the Country Living shoot with all the fun behind-the-scenes stories I love. For instance, the Christmas photos were taken in July, and the brass lantern next to the front door in the top photo was hanging from fishing line to make it look like it was mounted to the wall. Read all about it on A Country Farmhouse.

To see the article with source info and more photos (taken by Max Kim-Bee), visit Country Living. CL will be featuring Trina and Mike’s guest house renovation in their February issue, so watch for that, too!

Trish @TheOldPostRoad December 5, 2012 at 7:25 am

They are adorable. And such a peaceful, serene home!
-Trish

Meredith December 5, 2012 at 7:59 am

Such a beautiful, classic home. I especially love the simplicity of the nursery…the crib is lovely.

Stephanie @ The Hardscrabble Home December 5, 2012 at 10:10 am

I have to comment before I even read this thread. Those kids are so cute!! What sweethearts! Now…on to reading about their house. :-)

Luciane at HomeBunch.com December 5, 2012 at 10:58 am

Oh, I could move right in! I love the kitchen!

Wishing you a wonderful day, Julia!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Laura December 5, 2012 at 11:32 am

I’m not one for white houses, but this one is very tasteful and beautiful. I’d keep everything they have – just paint the rooms and add more stuff!

Laura Schmidt December 5, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Completely agreed with Laura! haha Us Laura’s are really in sync :)

Jennah December 5, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Her furnishings are lovely but, to me, the house is screaming for soft, warm paint colours.

todd December 6, 2012 at 12:26 am

Agreed. I could understand a white bathroom and/or white kitchen cabinets but this is overkill. Color, please!

Melissa Daly December 9, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I love the idea of this but my design school kicks in and screams if you’re not doing scandinavian design…more color please. :) There is something peaceful and quiet about all the white though. It really makes some of their beautiful pieces pop, such as the bed.

Amy December 5, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Very fresh!

Kelly December 5, 2012 at 1:13 pm

That is white done so well! I love myself some bold paint colors, but so admire when others can resist and do it up with white.

Christina from Dallas December 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I think this is a beautiful house. It looks clean and sophisticated and elegant.. It’s not just all white. They have wood furniture and the greenery and a few small accents of color if you look closer. Love it! I’ll run over to their blog to check out more.

julia sheets December 5, 2012 at 2:10 pm

love it..love it.. love..it, but i think the baby will have a life long fear of owls….

Erin December 5, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Love it, and the view from that porch…swoon!

Ranell December 5, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I also have followed their blog for quite awhile and I love the serene way they have styled their farmhouse. I especially love the kitchen. the whole thing is just lovely, how you would have imagined the farmhouse was or should have been.

Linzy December 5, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I have loved their house for a long time! Even though it isn’t really my personal style (lots of white, very clean, extremely reserved) I find that I love every single room of their house.

Destiny December 5, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Oh, this one is lovely!

Tracie December 5, 2012 at 9:37 pm

So pretty! I dream of all white fabrics….maybe when my boys grow up and out. :) …and my dogs.

Anne December 5, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I really love this house. This is what I have strived to create in my own home. I will definitely be taking a look at their blog. Thanks Julia, you consistently share such great sources of information! I may have to add a shortcut to this blog (along side yours) on my desktop!

Rebecca@MidcenturyModernRemodel December 5, 2012 at 11:07 pm

I am blinded by your white Christmas. Truly stunning. It was the dining room that really caught my eye. So elegant.

Kim December 6, 2012 at 2:55 am

I’m usually not a fan of white interiors, but I got to say, this house is stunning. What a warm and lovely place.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com December 6, 2012 at 9:24 am

Gorgeous. I love it all. And I want to know more about those stockings.

BTW, how sweet and classic is that baby’s room?

A Country Farmhouse December 6, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Hello, hello!
Just heard through the blog grapevine about your post – thought I’d stop in and say thank you for thinking of us, and for the kind words.
I’ve always loved your blog – I’ll be sure to add it to the blog roll so that others may enjoy!
Best,
Trina

Cate December 6, 2012 at 5:52 pm

The tree is beautiful….but way too much “white” in the house for me. Good luck keeping it that way with two little kids.

Terry December 6, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I truly love this house. It doesn’t read cold to me, not with all of the beautiful, rich furniture and natural touches. I love colorful houses but they have to be done well. This house just works. Besides, the family provides color, movement and warmth. I truly love this home.

annika-lee December 6, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I love this house- so calm and peaceful. My hope is to have an old farm house one day and decorate it just like this. It is so inviting. Think people have way too much stuff in their homes. Love how clean, elegant, and pure this is!

Holly @ General Contractor, Az December 7, 2012 at 8:18 am

White is Bright and this house is truly brightening thru its whitening. But as small children in house, it’s very hard to maintain the cleanliness of the house as they do a lot of things which disturbs the whitening of the house.

Desiree {CHIC COASTAL LIVING} December 8, 2012 at 9:26 am

What a pretty house! Love everything especially the living room decorated for Christmas! Have a lovely weekend Julia! XO, Desiree

Autumn December 8, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Gorgeous…….simplistic beauty at its best. Love it!

Menahil December 9, 2012 at 8:08 am

Gorgeous house. Love it. Except maybe some of it is just TOO white for me, and impossible to maintain at times, but that is still a very nice place to live in.

mia-sara December 9, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Love the dining room and kitchen. The livingroom looks too empty for my taste. Not much to it but a sofa , two chairs, and a coffee table. Somehow it needs more.

I adore the white color scheme but agree that it will be difficult to keep looking so white and bright.

{ 3 trackbacks }