Brooke Shields’ Greenwich Village Townhouse

by hookedonhouses on March 21, 2012

Brooke Shields calls herself “a real-estate romantic,” telling Architectural Digest in the March 2012 issue that she “toured brownstones all over Manhattan, looking for the one.” When she saw a run-down, four-family brick townhouse built around 1910 in Greenwich Village, she knew she had found it.

With help from decorator David Flint Wood, the house has since been renovated and beautifully decorated. Take a look!

Shields is married to television writer Chris Henchy. The living room features a Keith Haring painting, which was a gift from the artist, and portraits of their daughters Rowan and Grier.

The walls are painted in Benjamin Moore’s Chelsea Gray.

You can see John Robshaw fabrics in the living room and bedroom. (Remember the John Robshaw bedding everyone went crazy for in the Jason Bateman movie The Change-Up? I can’t tell you how many requests I got from readers who wanted to know where they could get it!)

“It needed a complete gut,” Shields told AD, “but after a quick walk-through, I could see our future there. My bathtub in a niche by a window. Our daughters’ playroom on the top floor. A light-flooded, parlor-floor kitchen with a big hearth and a balcony. That kind of instant certainty is rare for me—I’m a Gemini—but for once, I was sure.”

The kitchen has a large table by MADE instead of an island and a Malcolm Liepke painting over the fireplace:

As far as Celebrity Houses go, this has to be one of my favorites. For more photos and information, check out the article and slideshow in Architectural Digest. (Photos by William Waldron.)

Click here to see all the Celebrity Homes I’ve featured, including:

Brooke Shields buys house in Hamptons

Brooke’s Hamptons Home

nanne March 21, 2012 at 7:33 am

i love everything about it. so well done, classic but with subltle eclectic touches that give it charm and vibrancy. the kitchen is my favorite, warm, fun and elegant the shell of the kitchen is very muted, but the little hits of bright colors bring it alive. i think i hate my kitchen now…:)

thanks, julia!

nanne in columbus, indiana

Kim March 21, 2012 at 7:43 am

So pretty!!! There are so many great choices – I love the feel of this place.

Melissa Daly March 21, 2012 at 7:49 am

would love to see the playroom. At least it would give a sense that children live there. I know it’s for pictures but it seems up-tight. Beautiful but sterile. Love the art, especially the Keith Haring.

colleen March 23, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I completely afree about the feelign that children do not live there. It feels so museum/showplace like. Not homey at all

Lauren March 21, 2012 at 7:59 am

Very polished, a little sterile, as Melissa say, but lovely. But isn’t Brooke Shields a spokesperson for Lazy Boy? Doesn’t she tout her own “personal Lazy Boy collection?”
Maybe it is just me, but I am not seeing the Lazy Boy here!

Dee S. March 22, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I was thinking the same thing!!!

Sarah @ housecrazy March 21, 2012 at 8:01 am

It’s classy and maintains character – very handsome remodel. Like Brooke Shields herself: elegant and classic!

Kelly March 21, 2012 at 8:16 am

I’m so excited to see these photos! I was at the eye doctor’s last Friday and started reading this Architectural Digest article, but my eyes dilated too fast I couldn’t focus on the photos. So, thanks for sharing! I absolutely love this house.

Olga@StardustDecorStyle March 21, 2012 at 8:36 am

Really beautiful!

Rachel Cagle March 21, 2012 at 8:56 am

so lovely… but makes me think that aren’t any kids running around in there! :) My almost 3 year old would be all over those vases on the floor with an ensuing “Uh-Oh… it happens”

Molly @thewaffler March 21, 2012 at 9:23 am

I don’t use the acronym OMG very often, but this is an OMG moment. I am really quite in love with these interiors. As Rachel mentioned, they are not very kid-friendly, but I bet there’s a huge (beautiful) playroom somewhere.

sharron March 21, 2012 at 9:26 am

i was expecting more light airy romance i guess.
there are elements i like but overall it just seems very sterile.
thanks for the post!

Renato Alves March 21, 2012 at 9:28 am

I guess NYC is the only place celebrities live like us mortals…

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints March 21, 2012 at 9:49 am

Love it! Love her. That gray might be just the shade i need for my spare bedroom. Thanks girl.

Pat March 21, 2012 at 10:05 am

Very nice. I hope there’s a Lazy Boy recliner in there somewhere, LOL!

Amy @ The Button Casa March 21, 2012 at 10:19 am

I love this home. I was excited when I saw that it belonged to Brooke Shields because she was my favorite actress when I was a kid, I thought she was so pretty. And I’m relieved that she has great taste ;)

bermudaonion (Kathy) March 21, 2012 at 11:25 am

I want to live there!

Laura March 21, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Very pretty. But I agree with the comment above that I would like to see the playroom and I would like to see the room they flop down in to be comfy and snuggly.

Brenda March 21, 2012 at 12:28 pm

So pretty, just like Brooke herself, so down to earth. love it
Thanks, Julia

Katie March 21, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I would move into that bathroom in a minute. Thanks for sharing Julia!

Flavia March 21, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I love the kitchen. I’m so sick of seeing the same old high-end kitchens over and over again (I swear they’re all the same), but this one is really special.

hookedonhouses March 21, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I agree–nice to see something a little different!

Abby R March 21, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Wow, that is a stunning house. I wish we could see the exterior (but I understand her privacy needs). Thanks for sharing and linking to the AD article!

Kim March 21, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I just love this house. Every detail down to the colors, are well done. Brooke Shield has great taste.

Can I just say that I love her boots. If I had money I would go out and buy me a pair or two.

Laura March 21, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Nice, sophisticated, and very New York, but not my style. I love the art, though.

chris March 21, 2012 at 2:00 pm

check out ad site. gets better. (it would figure once i didn’t renew my subscription, they show homes i love)

Etta March 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Wow!I’m so in love with this house!! Everything is perfect but the big heart paint on the wall… I don’t like it at all…
Kiss
Etta

Molly March 21, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Oh wow, that’s just gorgeous. Of course it’s cleaned up for the photo shoot, but I think it looks very livable anyway.

I remember seeing photos of her nursery in some parenting magazine in the doctor’s office when I was pregnant. It was beautiful too (might have been a different place–that was 7 years ago now :-) ). Pale yellow with white trim, sheer white curtains blowing in the breeze, etc.

Kate March 21, 2012 at 3:36 pm

My parents have a table and chairs in their kitchen. It’s wonderful. I’d take the table over an island any day of the week. It’s far better for gathering with friends and family.

Amanda @ Serenity Now March 21, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Oh, it’s lovely! Very classy and sophisticated. :)

jennifer March 21, 2012 at 8:15 pm

At last….something other than white! Beautiful, warm and inviting.

Patience March 22, 2012 at 5:36 am

I love her taste. It’s absolutely beautiful. I also love it when a celebrity chooses not to live in a 25,000 sq. ft. monster mansion.

Jodi from New Jersey March 22, 2012 at 6:36 am

So gorgeous! I always enjoy Brooke, she seems down to earth , and she’s funny. I just love entryways and that is a classic beauty! I guess there’s no dining room. Love her boots, too..

hookedonhouses March 22, 2012 at 8:13 am

Actually, there is one. If you click over to Architectural Digest there are more photos, including one of the formal dining area!

Annie@A View on Design March 22, 2012 at 6:39 am

oh my, this is lovely, what a stylish, lovely home. Hasn’t she done well! No Christina Agralieria (however you spell it) garish tacky glam here!! good on her!

Carolyn March 22, 2012 at 9:16 am

This is one celebrity home I actually like! Classic, traditional, calm, nothing heavy – not over the top. I’m sure it was ‘sanitized’ for the photoshoot, as far as looking sterile. Love her artwork. I see she has radiators. I wonder if they had to take out window air conditioners for the photography? I read in a blog that NYC doesn’t allow modifications to pre-war apartments for central air, and they have to use window air conditioners. Not knowing anything about the city, I was surprised by that. Have you heard of that? Wonder if it was the case here?

hookedonhouses March 22, 2012 at 9:42 am

Good question about the window units. Does anyone know?

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... March 22, 2012 at 9:21 am

I love it. So pretty and feminine.

Lisa March 22, 2012 at 3:50 pm

LOVED IT! Thanks! And now, after seeing multiple references to The Change-Up and then going to your post on it to see the house…Redbox here I come! Can’t wait to drool over that house, too. (Plus Jason Bateman as decor isn’t going to be too awful, either! ;))

cbean March 22, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Love the kitchen. Hate the gray. Why is trendy always cold and sterile? Yuck! And that sharp edged acrylic (or glass) table in the living room is a real bruiser…literally. Those little settees (chairs ?) and sofa look very uncomfortable.

Petri Tiger March 22, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Dear Julia,
Great site! so much inspiration! This is a wonderful townhouse but lacks that lived in sort of feeling, considering that it´s a family home. I love the georgian (Sheraton? Hepplewhite?) dining chairs in the kitchen. (We´ve had similar ones in our kitchen for the past 4 years or so and they have this air of understated elegance. About the only feature of that sort in our home, I´m afraid…)

Nicole Mulvany March 22, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I know I am going to sound like a scrooge. But, I hate that heart over the fireplace. I don’t like the decor in that room at all. It’s just lacking.
Love this remodel and space though. It’s gorgeous!

The Decor Girl March 23, 2012 at 8:08 am

This is interior is very well done. Comfortable, livable and real. Not too done or staged. Great interiors are collected and show the personality of the inhabitants. I love the Louis Vuitton trunk coffee table (shown in AD), a great mix of styles.

The Keith Haring Heart is wonderful! (disagree with above comment) The pillows bring in the red and it allows the room to not be too serious. Mixing art is a good thing. This offers a smile to the room.

Rachel Carey March 23, 2012 at 8:38 am

Beautiful, classic and timeless…just like it’s owner.

annie diamond March 23, 2012 at 10:14 am

Beautiful…can never see this one too much! I was thrilled to see that you posted the name of the gray paint. We purchased a home built in 1900 and will be moving to CT this summer and am “meeting” with painters long distance to figure out paint for each room. While most will be white, a few will be black and gray. I think I may have just found the perfect gray! Thank you for this excellent post!
annie

Karen March 23, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I always find it refreshing to see a home, owned by a celebrity, that I can actually see myself living in. Sometimes they seem so over the top but this place is inviting and wonderfully appointed.

Thanks,
Karen

Kymberly April 3, 2012 at 9:04 am

Beautiful and I think it should be pointed out that one can have children in a home without living in a Preschool Playhouse. It also appears from the portraits of said children featured that they are old enough to keep toys in their rooms and playroom – and not play keep-away with the vases. Although not “Brooke Shields” quality we too live in a large old home and my children have the entire third floor as a playroom. Once they were old enough to play upstairs (around age 4) I decreed that my living spaces would no longer be toy-holding-areas. Comfortable, fun, and relaxed yes but “Decor by Little Tikes and Mattel” no. This is not to say that we don’t have a few soccer balls rolling around even the formal dining room from time to time – but I would certainly whisk them away if Architectural Digest dropped by. :)

Nica May 2, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I really like it but where are all the Lazy Boy furnishings? ;)

Tricia June 26, 2012 at 9:03 am

Ancient history, but I am still infatuated with Brooke’s interior and am in the process of doing a reno at my house that is inspired by the look. I cannot find the name of the light gray paint in Brooke’s foyer. Can you help, Julia? Thanks for the great post.

hookedonhouses June 26, 2012 at 9:06 am

Check the AD article to see if they mention it. That’s the only place I’d know to look!

Tricia June 26, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Thanks for replying! I have the AD mag, but foyer paint is not listed in article or in back :( May have to contact designer, it is a beautiful dove gray.

{ 2 trackbacks }