Jason Bateman’s House in “The Change-Up”

Jason Bateman's Traditional White House in "The Change-Up" Movie | hookedonhouses.net

In the movie The Change-Up, Jason Bateman’s character Dave lives with his family in this traditional white house in Atlanta.

The Change-Up house-foyer

The movie was filmed in Atlanta, Georgia, where production designer Barry Robison and director David Dobkin found this house and decided it would be perfect as Dave’s “beginner McMansion.” (The exterior, anyway–the interiors were sets they built on a soundstage.)

Robison explained: “It’s not quite Colonial or Arts and Crafts but a pastiche of traditional elements. We noticed that a lot of houses in Atlanta had a similar style: dark floors, white cabinetry, iron railings, creamy walls, which we replicated with Benjamin Moore Linen White, and beautiful fabrics on windows and furniture.”

The Change-Up movie house staircase

They purchased custom furniture for the living room from Bungalow Classic in Atlanta.

The Change-Up Movie house family room

I like the scene where Dave (as Mitch) tells his wife to ask him anything that only he would know. She asks, “What’s my favorite color?” And he draws a blank. Mitch (as Dave) says, “It’s celadon! Look around. There are accents of celadon everywhere in this house!”

I wonder if the set designers took their cue from that line when they set out to decorate the house, or if the actors took their cue from the sets?

The Change-Up movie house family room

The celadon kitchen in The Change-Up movie

I didn’t notice that little child’s desk and chair at the end of the island until I snapped this photo of the kitchen.

Colefax & Fowler and Osborne & Little fabrics were used for the window treatments here and throughout the house.

The Change-Up Movie House Kitchen

The countertops are polished Vermont granite. The backsplash tile is from Waterworks.

green tile backsplash in The Change-Up movie

white and green kitchen in The Change-Up movie

The Change-Up movie house kitchen 2

dining room in The Change-Up movie

Seemed a little odd to me that a young family like this would have its regular weeknight meals in the more formal dining room, instead of the kitchen. If I had twin babies, I wouldn’t be feeding them next to that linen fabric!

Change-Up Dining Room 2

Leslie Mann, who plays Dave’s wife, is married in real life to producer-director Judd Apatow. They worked together on other comedies like Knocked Up and This is 40, which had a similar white house in it, come to think of it.

striped runner on staircase in The Change-Up movie

The Twins’ Nursery:

Nursery in The Change-Up movie

Nursery for twins in The Change-Up movie

Leslie Mann in The Change-Up nursery

Dave and Jamie’s Bedroom:

The Change-Up bedroom 2

Robison said Dave probably leaves all of the decorating decisions up to his wife, so they created the couple’s bedroom as a “pattern-filled feminine space.”

Jason Bateman Change-up bedroom

I couldn’t stop staring at the blue and white bedding. Love it.

The quilt and shams are from John Robshaw Textiles:

The Trellis Duvet:

The Change-Up master bedrom bedding

The master bath ain’t too shabby, either:

Marble subway tiles, lighting, mirrors and plumbing fixtures were chosen from Waterworks and Restoration Hardware for an in-home spa vibe.

Ryan Reynolds Jason Bateman Change-Up bathroom

Mitch’s Loft:

Mitch’s bachelor pad couldn’t be more different from Dave’s place with its vibrant and saturated colors, including a red Smeg fridge.

front door of Mitch's apartment Change-Up

Production Designer Barry Robison describes it as “a place he found in college and he’s never moved.” It’s the perfect apartment for a guy who hasn’t grown up and has no intention to.

Mitch's loft in The Change-Up red brick wall

Change-Up Mitch's loft

Change-Up Mitch's apartment 1

Change-Up Mitch's apartment 6

Change-Up Mitch's apartment bedding

You can find more photos and source information about the Change-Up sets at Cote de Texas and the L.A. Times. If you’re looking for something I didn’t mention, check there!

Julia-simple-teal-signature2

P.S. Visit Houses Onscreen to see more, including…

This Is 40 and Knocked Up movie house

The House Used in Knocked Up and This is 40

Comments

I went to visit, and know your blog. I liked your blog too, beautiful pictures and I love … I am following your blog to come back again. I invite you to meet my blog and follow me if you like. A great week for you. A hug from Brazil!

Wow, this was the most complete breakdown of a movie set I have ever seen…AWESOME. I was slightly more entertained then you were by the movie, but I would agree it didn’t come close to the promised laughs from the trailer.

I would give my left arm for Jason Bateman’s house in this movie. What a gorgeous home. All the research you did on the decorating is unbelievable, great work.

I think my favorite thing about the whole movie was Jason Bateman (as Mitch) handling the twins. I am expecting twins in June and I can only imagine how some of those scenes might play out in my house this summer…YIKES!!

Great post for a mediocre movie.

• Lisa says

Good luck on your upcoming arrivals! I have not seen this movie yet but now I am curious because I have (almost) 3 year old twin boys. 😉

I paid more attention to the sets than the plot, I must admit! Super post, Julia. I love the colors in the house. I love the master suite best!

4. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. says

Proof positive that movie houses are the best!

5. Janice says

Wow. Wow. Wow. What a house. Like Brandon said, not what I would call a McMansion. And definitely not a starter home! Around here, the rich would live there. Gotta love Hollywood!

Anyway – what gorgeous eye candy. Love the backsplash, and the curtains in the kitchen. The only thing I don’t like is the big block with the outlets in it on the island.

OMG! I totally agree. I could not get over how CRUDE the movie was and had to fast forward a lot of it to get through. And I thought I was safe watching the “Theatrical Version”. I don’t ever want to know how bad the other version was.

Loved that kitchen tile though. And the kid’s desk. So sweet!

Loved this house….wish I could live there!!! LOL
    Have a great week :o)
    ~Des

8. Jennifer says

Hi Julia, it’s the first time I write you because it’s one of my resolutions about this new year, dedicate more time to the things I like, and decoration and houses are appealing stuff to me. (I write you on the twitter about your sunroom).

I saw this movie on December 25 and I was so glad my little cousin had gone by the time the rough scenes came across, and I’m 24 years old and I thought it was too hard. I loved the movie for the nice and smart message at the end and because Dave’s house of course 😀

I was watching it with my boyfriend and I said: “the house is so beautiful” and he said: “Of course it is, he is a lawyer hahaha”. As soon as I saw the house I thought about your blog but I didn’t expect it this soon, thank you. I haven’t realized about the celadon details of the house, it’s so funny now that I recall that scene. My favorite rooms were the kitchen and the bahtroom. About Ryan Reynolds’ Bachelor Pad it’s not my style at all, I felt stressed about all those colors and the lack of sunlight. Not my style at all, I like more big and family houses 😀

I’m so glad you posted this! We started this movie the other night and had to turn it off after 10 minutes – way too vulgar for my taste. But I wanted to see more of that amazing house! Thanks for saving my eyes and ears and skipping to the good stuff – the set design!

10. Belinda says

In the end, the movie had a good storyline as you said BUT I found this movie to be extremely tacky and not done well. The sets were great though! Thanks for the post.

I love the home, probably won’t see the movie, as I am not into potty humor either.

Wow Julia, The details like the window-seats, the fabrics, those gorgeous floors! I am glad you knew where the Master bedding is from, that was going to be a question? Beautiful! The entire master suite is wonderful!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

12. kristina says

This is so funny! I had the exact same feelings about the movie – too crude for my taste, but loved the house. Thanks for all of the pictures.

I love the white house, the bathroom the kitchen! Thanks for posting the pictures, it’s great eye candy :)

14. Wendy says

I’m in the minority, but I didn’t love that house. Too generic for me. Despite the beautiful finishes, it’s a McMansion.

• says

He’s a high-powered attorney and she’s an architect, so in this case, it wasn’t too unrealistic, I guess. I did wonder how Ryan’s character could afford such a cool loft when he seems to be mostly unemployed, though!

• Madison says

hi can you help me out??
        I have been searching for Ryan’s bedspread from his loft in this movie and cant find it anywhere! Do you know where I could get my hands on it??!!
        thanks,
        madison taylor

15. Aryn says

I loved that house, especially the kitchen/family room area. But I agree – the movie wasn’t so great. I was really disappointed because the cast is fantastic!

What I noticed the most when we watched the movie was the insane amount of short curtains. I’m still not a fan, but I can see that they are coming back. For the most part, I wish they would stay back in the sixties. :)

I actually really like the floral curtains in the kitchen , but I do not like those drawer pulls (I know, I know I’m being totally picky:). The built-in china cabinet is also very pretty, but would give me heart failure if I actually had one in my own house with my own kids.

For a very different kind of house, you might want to check out Spa House, which I’m featuring on my blog today.

So glad you featured this movie! I agree with you completely about the gross out humor, but kept my eyes glued to the screen so I wouldn’t miss any shots of the house. :) Thanks!

I know this is supposed to be about the house.. but for mee. I wouldn’t get upset looking at a tent.. as long as Jason Bateman was in the tent!

20. Lisa T. says

Love the kitchen! Sorry Julia, I even love the counter tops. Love the window treatments. It’s a lot of white for me, but I really love this house.

21. Anne C. says

If this is their starter house, I would love to know what their “forever” house is going to look like!! Thanks for posting- it was fun to look at these pics. Love the kitchen! And, since you mentioned it in the post, I am going to make another plea for the house in “Knocked Up”– my dream house!

I love that you brought up the part about her favorite color being celadon. That was my favorite scene…I laughed so hard! Their home is great though, I loved all the fabrics and rugs! I did wonder how the other guy could afford such a cool loft though!

I saw the movie a while back and found there was waaay too much toilet/crude humor for my taste. I, too, however liked it for the sets. Wish I could furnish a house like that! Thanks for posting this!

24. Kim says

Thanks for telling me about the crude humor so I won’t bother watching this movie. I’m one of those people that can’t stand gross humor in anything.

What a gorgeous house. I wish I could live in a starter home like this.

What’s with that big block of outlets on the island? It’s in such a weird spot and takes up lots of space.

25. jodi from new jersey says

Wow, that is a gorgeous home! Only in the movies could that be a “beginner home”. I love that hutch with the blue and white plates. There’s really no other blue in the house, yet it fits.I guess blue and white is a classic. I have to loosen up my matchy -matchy thinking and take a chance. Thanks for a fun post.

I have that blue and white John Robshaw bedding! Only we kept the flip side (it’s brown and blue) facing up, which has a more Indian vibe. I love his blankets because they are the softest and the perfect weight.

Great movie post, as usual.

Beautiful house – I could look at this for hours – love the British fabrics used – I want those curtains in my kitchen!
    mary x

I don’t watch that type of movie, as I am a “fuddy duddy”. 😉 However I enjoyed your home tour! Beautiful house. Too bad about the crudeness of the movie. Give me old fashioned humor anytime. :-)

29. A.Men says

Too colorful and too bland. Good post. Like the sources given.

I was totally going to ask you to do a feature on this house, but was way too embarrassed! Their house was awesome, but the movie was definitely a bit crude! I don’t mind some gross humor, but most of the really crude stuff wasn’t funny. I LOVED the line about celadon – that had me cracking up. I enjoyed the green tile in the kitchen as well. Thanks for the great post! 😀

• says

Check those links I gave in the post to the other articles. They have more source info in them that might include the hardware.

31. Lindab says

Had to rent it to see the awesom house ( and blue and yellow are not mt fave deco colors) but it worked for me. My question is, why the constant filth and nudity. Could have been a great movie.

32. Nita says

I think that’s MY granite in the kitchen, and no, I am not happy with it at all. Shows everything and hard to keep shiny.

33. Tiffany says

I saw the movie last weekend. I loved Dave’s house! It was traditional with a twist. totally my style. So light and bright. Mitch’s loft gave me anxiety. So much stuff!

34. Liz says

I live in metro-Atlanta and this house is only five minutes from my home. It’s in an area called Buckhead and the houses are amazingly spectacular and incrediby expensive. It’s surprising if a house goes for less than $600,000. The more lavish ones are around $1 million and up. The most interesting part to me is this house is on the same street as the house in “Life As We Know It”.

Thank you for blogging about this house.
    My husband and I watched this movie together and I hated it but I loved the white house!!! Now I can copy the designs without having to watch that awful movie again!!!

36. Iris says

Hi,
    I LOVED the bedroom in this movie and am dying to get that bed + table lamps.
    Does anyone know where are they from ??

Thanks,
    Iris

37. Madison says

Everyone is apparently interested in the blue bedroom set but where on earth can i find Ryan Reynolds’ bead spread from ThE change Up????!! I’ve been searching all day and I’ve found nothing. please help me out people!

38. Marilyn says

I disagree with your review of the movie. I thought it was Hysterical.!! Could have done without so much of the cussing, but I thought it was good. I laughed outloud several times and also thought it had a good ending.
    Now, the set – it was fabulous!! Love the house, the decor, everything.
    But especially the bedding in the master suite. So glad I thought to google it so I could find out how to purchase it.
    Have a great day.
    Marilyn

39. cameron says

I’m on board with madison. I need that bed spread that Mitch had…coolest thing on the planet.

40. Tara says

I would like to know where I can get the bed that is in Jason Batemans house.

42. ginny says

Would you have a picture of the walk in closet in the house in the movie The Change Up?

43. Mike O. says

I loved this movie! For the house, for the crude humor, for Jason Bateman who is hilarious in almost everything, and for Leslie Mann (my dream wife)! But getting back to the house, there was a quick shot of the kitchen “area”, not exactly sure where, that showed a coffered ceiling with white wood detail and the “inset” ceiling portions painted a light blue (almost the color that is typically used on the underside of a beadboard porch ceiling). Is there any way to get a picture of that coffered ceiling? I would rather not rent the movie if I don’t have to, having seen it probably 20 times on the movie channels (and of course now it’s not on anymore!) Thanks!

44. Sheila says

Hello,
    does anyone know where the duvet cover from Ryan Reynold’s apt. is from?
    Thanks!