For Sale: The Old Stone Farmhouse from “Marley & Me”

by hookedonhouses on April 18, 2011

Marley-and-Me-house-for-sale-Chadds-Ford-PA cover 500

Who could forget John and Jenny Grogan’s beautiful stone house in the 2008 family drama Marley & Me? It was one of the highlights of the Jennifer Aniston-Owen Wilson tearjerker for me, and a couple of years ago I featured behind-the-scenes photos of the house that were taken during filming.

Now it’s on the market in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, for $1.45 million, so I was excited to get another look at it.

The house has 5 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, and sits on almost 16 acres. The interiors as well as exteriors were used in the movie. Here’s a shot of Owen Wilson walking in the front door of the farmhouse in the movie:

And here’s how it looks in the listing:

Here’s Jennifer Aniston at the bottom of the stairs in a scene from the movie:

And the staircase as it looks in the listing:

I love the kitchen! Here’s how it looked in the movie:

The house appeared in Philadelphia Magazine in 2009. The photographer was Alison Miksch, and you can see her website here.

Marley and Me kitchen-large

I think this little sitting area is connected to the kitchen:

Marley and Me house daybed sitting area

See this photo of Jennifer Aniston sitting in the bedroom window?

It looks like the window treatments are the same as the ones in the listing:

Here’s that window seat, in the sitting area of the bedroom–but without the window treatments:

Marley and Me dining room-large

I love-love-love screened porch:

Marley and Me house screened porch

Remember the scene where Owen Wilson plays in the snow outside the house with the kids?

Someone from behind the scenes on the film sent me photos that show how they made it look like winter. For example, here’s the fake snowman (you can see the rest here):

The agent’s description:

The producers of Marley and Me sought “a greeting-card perfect stone house” and found it here! Constructed in the 1830′s of native stone, this home has been lovingly maintained and splendidly updated with a fantastic new Kitchen as well as a Carrara tile Master Bath with claw foot soaking tub. Your horses will enjoy the 6 stall barn and ample fenced pastures.

I think my horses would enjoy that, wouldn’t yours?

Marley and Me house-side with windows

Marley and Me house for sale Chadds Ford PA

To See More:

Carol M April 18, 2011 at 6:32 am

That’s only a few miles from me. I’ll have to keep an eye out for an open house!

Carolyn@SweetChaos April 18, 2011 at 6:55 am

I have been in love with that house since I saw “Marley & Me.” Thanks for the inside look :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now April 18, 2011 at 7:05 am

If I had any horses, I am sure they would enjoy it there. I know I would!!! I can see some updated window treatments and maybe some different furniture, but that home has some beautiful features.

Holley April 18, 2011 at 7:25 am

I love old stone homes. Lovely. Would love to see the marble bath and claw foot tub. We had one in an apartment when I was a teenager and they are wonderful!

Beth@A2Z April 18, 2011 at 8:01 am

When we lived in Philly we would often travel to Chadds Ford to visit the winery there. It’s a gorgeous area and I LOVED this house! Your post also goes to show the importance of good photography when trying to sell your house. What a difference between the Philly Mag ones and the listing!

Kim-HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs April 18, 2011 at 8:12 am

What a beautiful home :)

IAMSNWFLAKE April 18, 2011 at 8:26 am

Darling old stone house! I’m in love! Thanks for sharing.

angfreda April 18, 2011 at 8:31 am

My horse would def. love living there… that bank kitchen…. so many things to ooh and ahh over. That part of PA is LOVELY as well.
Usually one cringes when we see additions made to older homes, as they’re so dated, but this house… I love how each addition takes the style of the house and it’s character and just sort of stretches it out.

karen ho fatt April 18, 2011 at 8:32 am

Homes with charm and character never grow old. this is just another example of that. And I think most pople would agree that we would all love to live in something like this at some point in our lives.

Jane April 18, 2011 at 9:01 am

I’ll take it! I love old stone farmhouses.

Fairfield House April 18, 2011 at 9:25 am

The home is gorgeous. I live in a historical home. I have no doubt the heating bill in a stone home built in the 1830s is astronomical in the middle of PA winters!

Heather Collins April 18, 2011 at 9:30 am

Thanks Julia! I L.O.V.E. this house. If only I had 1.45 mill lying around…….

Willow Decor April 18, 2011 at 10:13 am

Loved this movie and the house – I adore when you review houses like this!! So much fun – great sleuthing!!
xx-Gina

Maaike Quinn @ Life with FlyLady April 18, 2011 at 11:32 am

Oh, I love to compare the images from the movie to the of the current state of the house. They even kept the same curtains!

Alison April 18, 2011 at 12:00 pm

This has to be one of my favorite homes featured in a movie.
Thanks for sharing.

Luciane at Homebunch.com April 18, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Julia,

What a wonderful find! I/m truly enjoying this. I love the way you show the pictures of the listing and the movie also. It’s so fun to compare!

This house is very charming… a place I’d love to be!

Have a Blessed week.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Kim April 18, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Very nice! I love the way the house looks in the movie and in real life.

Ann April 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm

If only I had 1.45 million…16 acres would be worth it, not to mention the house.

Magali April 18, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I wonder if you have to buy the horses first and then the house or would it be OK to buy the house and then the horses? I love the house, as I usually like stone houses, but I find it weird that there is not one spot of stone showing inside. That’s something I would really have liked.

lindsay April 18, 2011 at 11:31 pm

If I’m lucky enough to go to heaven- THIS HOUSE will be my paradise. I better be a good girl…
Thank you for the pics!!!

blue fruit April 18, 2011 at 11:37 pm

This was my favourite part of the movie too ~ the house is quite romantically adorable. Stone, stone, stone ~ perennially perfect!

beth April 19, 2011 at 12:43 am

Julia I love the detail you come up with – such great stories!

Nita April 19, 2011 at 1:09 am

I love Chadd’s Ford, and we visit it as often as we can when we are in PA visiting hubby’s family. When I moved back there for 15 months, I thought I was living in the most beautiful part of the country. I still want to go back and take photos of barns.

Kate April 19, 2011 at 5:31 am

I LOVE THIS MOVIE! My brother and I had always begged my mum for a dog and it was only after seeing this film she caved; so we decided Marley was the only name we could give the pup. And yes, we got a yellow lab (female)!

Although the Boca house in Florida was amazing, that pool!, this stone house in PA was definitely my favourite. I love a house with character and old charm. You’d be paying around £5 million here in England for a house of that size.

karen ho fatt April 19, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Classic homes and classic styling withstand the test of time.

This home is a great example of that.I think it is everybodys dream to leave in a setting and a home like this.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... April 19, 2011 at 5:47 pm

OMG I wish I could buy this house. I just LOVE it.

CherylK April 19, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Wow! What a beautiful house. I loved that movie and you’ve just brought it to life, again…thanks!

Desiree @ chic coastal living April 19, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I loved this movie so much! Totally made me cry! and this home was very cozy!

ashley @ the handmade home April 20, 2011 at 8:10 am

I ADORE This HOUSE! probably one of my favorite movies. ;) LOVE this post!!!

Janice Mahon April 20, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Oh good grief, I hit the wrong key and now I have to start over.
Okay, we have a seven month old yellow lab just like Marley, his name is Jake and he is a handful. Do you remember the scene in the movie where Marley is tied to a restaurant table and he takes off? That just happened to me with Jake. I was sitting on the front porch with Jake tied to the rocking chair, I got up, a neighbor went by with her dog, I got up, and Jake took off down the street with the rocking chair bumping behind him. Just like in the movie.

Thanks for posting this beautiful home. It doesn’t look like mine in the movie, but you see the point!

Cameron (House Sale) April 20, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Since my wife and I saw the movie, she immediately fell in love with the house and told me that we should have a house just like that or designed just like that.

Holly April 25, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Oh it is beautiful!!! I live a couple of hours away!!! But would love to live there!

Fifi Flowers April 25, 2011 at 2:50 pm

LOVELY home!!! J’adore all the stonework!!! Awwww… a country home to runaway to sounds FAB… however I really do not want yard work… when you have a country home like this… do you just let everything grow over and do nothing but drink “lemonade” and lounge reading books? I’m up for that!!!

Dawn April 25, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I love this movie and the stone house too.

The extended length of this house reminds me of a house that my brother bought about a year ago. Or I should say, his new house reminds me of the house in the movie (except it’s not stone).

Lindsay July 21, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I am in LOVE with those flowered curtains….does anybody know where to purchase them? I would really appreciate it if anybody knew…thank you!!!

Sammy July 21, 2011 at 6:43 pm

If I had the money, and a job near by, I’d totally be interested in that. Just looking at the pictures makes me calm and happy.

anna July 21, 2011 at 9:09 pm

i would love to receive a printout of the details of the house.

i am hoping my dad will buy me this house.

message me via facebook to get snail address for me and my dad.

thanks.

does it have a basement? room ad permits to add a pool and greenhouse?
what is the layout of the house?

is it insulatd? is there a contractor who could add geotherma cooling and heating system and also a roof or ground-based solar sytem for heat and hot water?
is thee a butler’s pantry or room for more cabinets?

do the violins over the fireplce come with?

are the windows double-pane and solar-reflecting? if not would it be difficult to swap them up for such?

what do the other bedrooms look like?

is there room for a master bedroom on the ground floor?

does it have a vegtable patch?

rsvp.

thanks

Richard August 10, 2011 at 2:30 pm

You are beyond obnoxious.

livingtxlife August 27, 2011 at 7:30 am

I love, loved the fireplace that looked 5 feet tall in the movie. Thanks for posting. Seeing pictures of a home like this reminds me to stay away from the styles in those overly decorated suburban homes I see in my area.

Cait October 4, 2011 at 8:09 am

Just wanted to let you know that the pictures of this house is still on the the Philly website.
I searched “marley and me” in the “site-wide search” on the front page… Then clicked on “Philly Home:Farm Charm November 2008″

hookedonhouses October 4, 2011 at 11:02 am

Thanks, Cait! I must have missed that when I was looking for it. I’m glad to hear you can still get to the photos–they had some really good ones.

NJ Cellulose Insulation Contractor January 5, 2012 at 11:32 am

That was such a sweet movie! This cottage is very cute as well. Homes do not have to be large to be beautiful.

jessica March 14, 2012 at 5:27 pm

My horses WOULD enjoy that! Every last one of ‘em!

MortiseMimi May 22, 2012 at 5:17 pm

the homes being built in the last decade I’m certain will not last 180 years or more. These old colonials are a marvel to behold and should be cherished. Europe knows better than the U.S. to take care of and treasure their historic buildings. I hope we become better caretakers of these wonderful historic beauties. I agree with everyone here…this sure is a great home.

{ 4 trackbacks }