For Sale: The Old Stone Farmhouse from “Marley & Me”

Marley-and-Me-house-for-sale-Chadds-Ford-PA cover 500

Who could forget John and Jenny Grogan’s beautiful stone house in the 2008 family drama Marley & Me? It was one of the highlights of the Jennifer Aniston-Owen Wilson tearjerker for me, and a couple of years ago I featured behind-the-scenes photos of the house that were taken during filming.

Now it’s on the market in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, for $1.45 million, so I was excited to get another look at it.

"Marley and Me" movie house

The house has 5 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, and sits on almost 16 acres. The interiors as well as exteriors were used in the movie. Here’s a shot of Owen Wilson walking in the front door of the farmhouse in the movie:

The stone house in the movie "Marley & Me"

And here’s how it looks in the listing:

Here’s Jennifer Aniston at the bottom of the stairs in a scene from the movie:

Jennifer Aniston in "Marley and Me" movie

And the staircase as it looks in the listing:

I love the kitchen! Here’s how it looked in the movie:

Jennifer Aniston in the movie "Marley and Me" farmhouse kitchen

Marley and Me kitchen-large

I think this little sitting area is connected to the kitchen:

Marley and Me house daybed sitting area

See this photo of Jennifer Aniston sitting in the bedroom window?

stone farmhouse window seat Marley and Me movie

It looks like the window treatments are the same as the ones in the listing:

Here’s that window seat, in the sitting area of the bedroom–but without the window treatments:

Marley and Me dining room-large

I love-love-love screened porch:

Marley and Me house screened porch

Remember the scene where Owen Wilson plays in the snow outside the house with the kids?

Owen Wilson in "Marley & Me" movie

Someone from behind the scenes on the film sent me photos that show how they made it look like winter. For example, here’s the fake snowman (you can see the rest here):

filming behind the scenes of "Marley and Me" movie

The agent’s description:

The producers of Marley and Me sought “a greeting-card perfect stone house” and found it here! Constructed in the 1830’s of native stone, this home has been lovingly maintained and splendidly updated with a fantastic new Kitchen as well as a Carrara tile Master Bath with claw foot soaking tub. Your horses will enjoy the 6 stall barn and ample fenced pastures.

I think my horses would enjoy that, wouldn’t yours?

Marley and Me house-side with windows

Update: Sorry, it’s sold!

Marley and Me farmhouse for sale

To See More:

Comments

1. Carol M says

That’s only a few miles from me. I’ll have to keep an eye out for an open house!

If I had any horses, I am sure they would enjoy it there. I know I would!!! I can see some updated window treatments and maybe some different furniture, but that home has some beautiful features.

I love old stone homes. Lovely. Would love to see the marble bath and claw foot tub. We had one in an apartment when I was a teenager and they are wonderful!

When we lived in Philly we would often travel to Chadds Ford to visit the winery there. It’s a gorgeous area and I LOVED this house! Your post also goes to show the importance of good photography when trying to sell your house. What a difference between the Philly Mag ones and the listing!

My horse would def. love living there… that bank kitchen…. so many things to ooh and ahh over. That part of PA is LOVELY as well.
    Usually one cringes when we see additions made to older homes, as they’re so dated, but this house… I love how each addition takes the style of the house and it’s character and just sort of stretches it out.

Homes with charm and character never grow old. this is just another example of that. And I think most pople would agree that we would all love to live in something like this at some point in our lives.

The home is gorgeous. I live in a historical home. I have no doubt the heating bill in a stone home built in the 1830s is astronomical in the middle of PA winters!

Loved this movie and the house – I adore when you review houses like this!! So much fun – great sleuthing!!
    xx-Gina

Julia,

What a wonderful find! I/m truly enjoying this. I love the way you show the pictures of the listing and the movie also. It’s so fun to compare!

This house is very charming… a place I’d love to be!

Have a Blessed week.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

10. Kim says

Very nice! I love the way the house looks in the movie and in real life.

11. Ann says

If only I had 1.45 million…16 acres would be worth it, not to mention the house.

I wonder if you have to buy the horses first and then the house or would it be OK to buy the house and then the horses? I love the house, as I usually like stone houses, but I find it weird that there is not one spot of stone showing inside. That’s something I would really have liked.

If I’m lucky enough to go to heaven- THIS HOUSE will be my paradise. I better be a good girl…
    Thank you for the pics!!!

This was my favourite part of the movie too ~ the house is quite romantically adorable. Stone, stone, stone ~ perennially perfect!

15. Nita says

I love Chadd’s Ford, and we visit it as often as we can when we are in PA visiting hubby’s family. When I moved back there for 15 months, I thought I was living in the most beautiful part of the country. I still want to go back and take photos of barns.

I LOVE THIS MOVIE! My brother and I had always begged my mum for a dog and it was only after seeing this film she caved; so we decided Marley was the only name we could give the pup. And yes, we got a yellow lab (female)!

Although the Boca house in Florida was amazing, that pool!, this stone house in PA was definitely my favourite. I love a house with character and old charm. You’d be paying around £5 million here in England for a house of that size.

Classic homes and classic styling withstand the test of time.

This home is a great example of that.I think it is everybodys dream to leave in a setting and a home like this.

Wow! What a beautiful house. I loved that movie and you’ve just brought it to life, again…thanks!

19. Janice Mahon says

Oh good grief, I hit the wrong key and now I have to start over.
    Okay, we have a seven month old yellow lab just like Marley, his name is Jake and he is a handful. Do you remember the scene in the movie where Marley is tied to a restaurant table and he takes off? That just happened to me with Jake. I was sitting on the front porch with Jake tied to the rocking chair, I got up, a neighbor went by with her dog, I got up, and Jake took off down the street with the rocking chair bumping behind him. Just like in the movie.

Thanks for posting this beautiful home. It doesn’t look like mine in the movie, but you see the point!

Since my wife and I saw the movie, she immediately fell in love with the house and told me that we should have a house just like that or designed just like that.

Oh it is beautiful!!! I live a couple of hours away!!! But would love to live there!

LOVELY home!!! J’adore all the stonework!!! Awwww… a country home to runaway to sounds FAB… however I really do not want yard work… when you have a country home like this… do you just let everything grow over and do nothing but drink “lemonade” and lounge reading books? I’m up for that!!!

23. Dawn says

I love this movie and the stone house too.

The extended length of this house reminds me of a house that my brother bought about a year ago. Or I should say, his new house reminds me of the house in the movie (except it’s not stone).

24. Lindsay says

I am in LOVE with those flowered curtains….does anybody know where to purchase them? I would really appreciate it if anybody knew…thank you!!!

25. Sammy says

If I had the money, and a job near by, I’d totally be interested in that. Just looking at the pictures makes me calm and happy.

i would love to receive a printout of the details of the house.

i am hoping my dad will buy me this house.

message me via facebook to get snail address for me and my dad.

thanks.

does it have a basement? room ad permits to add a pool and greenhouse?
    what is the layout of the house?

is it insulatd? is there a contractor who could add geotherma cooling and heating system and also a roof or ground-based solar sytem for heat and hot water?
    is thee a butler’s pantry or room for more cabinets?

do the violins over the fireplce come with?

are the windows double-pane and solar-reflecting? if not would it be difficult to swap them up for such?

what do the other bedrooms look like?

is there room for a master bedroom on the ground floor?

does it have a vegtable patch?

rsvp.

thanks

27. livingtxlife says

I love, loved the fireplace that looked 5 feet tall in the movie. Thanks for posting. Seeing pictures of a home like this reminds me to stay away from the styles in those overly decorated suburban homes I see in my area.

28. Cait says

Just wanted to let you know that the pictures of this house is still on the the Philly website.
    I searched “marley and me” in the “site-wide search” on the front page… Then clicked on “Philly Home:Farm Charm November 2008″

• says

Thanks, Cait! I must have missed that when I was looking for it. I’m glad to hear you can still get to the photos–they had some really good ones.

29. MortiseMimi says

the homes being built in the last decade I’m certain will not last 180 years or more. These old colonials are a marvel to behold and should be cherished. Europe knows better than the U.S. to take care of and treasure their historic buildings. I hope we become better caretakers of these wonderful historic beauties. I agree with everyone here…this sure is a great home.