The Colonial-Style House from “Life As We Know It”

Life as We Know It movie real house in Atlanta

The new Katherine Heigl-Josh Duhamel comedy Life As We Know It hasn’t gotten great reviews. What is getting raves, however, is the couple’s house in the movie. So when a reader told me that the Colonial-style house from the movie is on the market in Atlanta, I knew we had to take a look!

Life As We Know It-real house exterior

Life As We Know It was filmed in Atlanta, Georgia, where the story takes place. According to the production notes, finding the house that Holly (played by Heigl) and Messer (Duhamel) would live in while raising their friends’ baby, was key.

The Production Designer was Maher Ahmad, who explains: “For the exterior, we settled on a Colonial style house on a very pleasant street, with a bit of a curve and a little bit of a hill, providing good angles on the house. Then we had to determine what we needed for the interior of the house, since we didn’t want to simply replicate what our real house offered inside.”

Katherine Heigl-Josh Duhamel-fireplace

The house was built in 1945 and renovated extensively in 1995. It has 5 bedrooms and 6 baths and is on the market in Atlanta for $1.775 million. From what I can tell, the interiors were all sets created on a soundstage, but they were inspired by the rooms of the real house.

Here is the actual family room, as seen in the real estate listing. You can see it has similar beamed ceilings, a stone fireplace with a wood mantel (but with brick trim around the opening, which is different), and french doors leading to a sunroom:

real family room

In this shot from the movie, you can see how they replicated the ceilings from the real house on the set:

Life As We Know It-beamed ceilings

The foyer and staircase in the movie:

foyer-staircase

staircase in movie

The set designers expanded the sizes of the interior rooms to make filming easier but wanted them to reflect the look of the real house.

bottom of stairs

Ahmad says his goal was to create a set that would allow the directors of photography “as much variation in things to see and ways to shoot while keeping as much architectural and visual interest as possible. To give them a lot of open views and the ability to move easily from one room to another, I designed big French doors and a back hallway that connects everything together, so they could dolly through on any kind of axis and see the big entry hall.”

walking into living room 3

The decor of the house has been referred to as “Pottery-Barn style.” Some of the rooms really do look like pages from their catalog, don’t they?

Katherine Heigl on white sofa

Josh Duhamel on sofa

Here’s the real living room, via the listing–love the twin arched doorways:

real living room

A close-up of the stone fireplace in the movie:

Josh Duhamel-Katherine Heigle-beside fireplace

A wide shot of the real family room, from the listing, shows how similar the stone fireplace is:

real family room 2

Director Greg Berlanti says that two of the fireplaces on the set were operational, to help convey the passage of seasons: “The movie takes place over the course of about a year, and all the events that come with that–birthdays, Thanksgiving, and so on.”

Life As We Know It-dining rm

teaching baby to walk-Dining Room

The dining room in the real house is more traditional and formal looking:

real dining room

There’s a white kitchen in the movie with lots of glass-front cabinets:

feeding baby in kitchen-large photo

It has black counters, dark wood floors, stainless appliances, and pendant lights similar to the one in Something’s Gotta Give:

Something's Gotta Give kitchen

The actors prepare to film a scene in the kitchen on the Life As We Know It set:

Life As We Know It-Katherine Heigl filming kitchen

feeding baby in kitchen

The real kitchen is a lot darker, though, with stained cabinets and no window:

real kitchen 1

“All of the appliances in the kitchen had to function, especially once Holly moves in because she is a chef and we would see her cooking,” according to Ahmad.

feeding baby in kitchen 2

And the real kitchen, which is also beautiful, but very different:

real kitchen 2

The adjoining breakfast room looks into the family room with the fireplace:

real breakfast room

Josh Duhamel as Messer, hanging out with baby Sophie:

sunken family room

Josh Duhamel and baby

upstairs landing

There are a couple of cute kids’ rooms in the real house. Here’s one of them:

real house-kid's room 1

The master in the real house has a fireplace and vaulted ceilings:

real master bedroom

The bathtub in the movie:

master bath in movie

And the master bath in the real house:

real master bathroom

Producer Barry Josephson stresses how important it was for the design team to create a warm and happy home to tell the story in:

“After the tragedy they’ve just gone through, we couldn’t have them move into a house that was somber. It needed to feel like Holly and Messer would be off to a fair start if they were living there. The design Maher gave us felt very positive and very organic in terms of family.”

baby running-Life As We Know It

The screened porch in the real house has painted brick walls and arched windows that are really lovely:

real sunroom

A reader found set photos and floor plan sketches done by Set Designer Cameron Beasley on his website. Check the listing for more information. (Movie stills taken by Peter Iovino.)

Life As We Know It-real house in Atlanta back

Director Greg Berlanti said, “The house was pretty beautiful. I think most of us decided we wanted to live there.” I can see why! :)

Julia-simple-teal-signature2

P.S. Visit my Movie Houses page to see more, including…

This Is 40 and Knocked Up movie houseThe Knocked Up and This is 40 House

Comments

I think I want to live there too! I like the real kitchen better than the movie set. It’s so much warmer.

Thanks for the inside look! I haven’t seen the movie cuz it lookin kinda goofy. But I really wanted to go watch it just for the house. Now I don’t have to waste my money!

What a gorgeous home…in real life, and the movie set!!! I’d live in either one! LOL
    ~Des

3. Kim says

Gorgeous house! I too like both the set and the actual home and would live in either one.

Beautiful house! It’s a dream! :-)
    Kisses
    Etta
    ps: after I saw your post about the “Uninvited” house I’ve seen the movie.. I like it! and the house is beautiful!!Thank you..

• hookedonhouses says

Interesting! I hadn’t seen his house in AD yet. Thanks, Luciane. -Julia

I absolutely LOVE IT… makes me want to move to Atlanta! I especially love the back of the house with the porches… gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing!
    .-= MissCaron´s last blog ..Green =-.

6. Phyllis Briner says

Haven’t seen the movie, but I agree with many that I love! the real house!! Especially the kitchen! I almost always go with the white kitchen look as a fav, but this real one is great!

7. Kelly says

I haven’t had a chance to see the movie yet, but definitely plan to. I think the story line and of course the beautiful house will make it worthwhile. The photos of the real house are beautiful! If I could just afford a house over a million dollars, I could move there. Ha! I already live in GA too. Maybe the house will sell quickly since it is so popular right now due to the movie. Thanks for sharing these great photos!

I haven’t seen the movie yet, but this definitely piques my curiosity. I think I prefer the white kitchen they showed in the movie to the one that’s in the real house, but other than that, I’d happily move in to the real home today! It’s gorgeous, inside and out.
    .-= Courtney @ nesting instincts´s last blog ..master bedroom makeoverfor free! =-.

9. Nancy says

I agree with black eyed susan… Love the real home, it has so much more character than any so-called “Pottery Barn” style. PB has become so trite and predictable. I think it is a store for people who have no imagination, kind of like ” paint by number”…
    Coffered ceilings rule.

10. Phyllis Stamper says

People, You have got to see this movie. You will love it. Bring kleenex. You will laugh and cry all at the same time. Great!

I love those ceilings… so awesome. I totally want to do those here in my home since you know how new homes don’t have character, at all. BTW, Can’t wait for the Addam’s Family post :)
    .-= Alycia´s last blog ..My Halloween and Fall Decor =-.

• hookedonhouses says

I rescheduled it for a couple of weeks from now. I love “The Addams Family.” :-)

12. lindajb says

Oh my Julia, I am going to have to quit reading your blog. I am getting a big case of House Envy. (kidding of course)

• hookedonhouses says

I’ll try to show you something ugly tomorrow, then. Ha. 😉

• hookedonhouses says

I’ll still be featuring the Addams Family–they just got bumped a couple of weeks. Hope they don’t mind. 😉

13. Cheryl says

I’ll take it! What a beautiful home. I do prefer the white kitchen from the movie set but both are lovely. The screened porch and ceiling in the master suite made me swoon or was it Josh Duhamel? He’s so pretty, I want one.

Gorgeous master bedroom with the fireplace. It’s so cosy! I want a bedroom like that one day.

Can’t wait to see the Adams Family house; must have been some house!
    .-= Daisy´s last blog ..Top 15 Christmas Toys 2010 =-.

Speaking of Pottery Barn, have you seen the Blog “Catalog Living”….they are hilarious.

16. Nancy says

Darla is right, “Catalog Living” is very cute. Another funny one is “Unhappy Hipsters”, it uses photos from Dwell (magazine) to inspire snarky captions and it is always good for a giggle…

I saw this movie and loved the house! The kitchen and family room have the perfect shade of gray-still warm and inviting. And that back yard is to-die-for.
    .-= Katrina´s last blog ..Little Ones New Room =-.

18. Karen says

I agree with some other posters here – the movie set house if just kind of . . well so
    ‘decorated’ I guess . . .when you compare this set to a movie like, “The Family Stone”, where it looks like actual people live there (and still presents as a house you just have to see) you see how ‘fake’ this movie set looks. Fun to look at, but I won’t go rushing out to see the movie for set decoration (have done that lots of times:)!

19. Mike says

I was really trying to check out the pictures of this house, but for some reason I kept getting drawn back to the picture of Josh Duhamel in his underwear…

20. Jan says

lol I was one of those countless emails….
    I enjoyed the movie a lot actually–the baby should be nominated for an Oscar-so cute on cue. Can’t get Josh Dumell’s kissing out of my mind…..
    The movie house was great overall, even though it was pretty “Pottery Barnish”. Wow, in my area that home would cost at least double so the listing looks very attractive.

I actually LOVED the movie! It was so cute! AND, I fell in absolute LOVE with the house in the movie! I’m going to go see it again, just so I can stare at the house again. :)

? Amber
    Silver Lining
    .-= Amber Filkins´s last blog ..Really Big Butts =-.

Hello,
    Love this post and the stone fireplace. Can’t wait to see the movie. It looks cute. I love when movies show great homes. Loving looking at the decor. Thank you for sharing. Have you ever done a post on the movie Panic Room? We watched it the other night and I would love to see this house.
    Take care.
    Claudia
    .-= Claudia´s last blog ..Happy Fall! =-.

• hookedonhouses says

Haven’t seen Panic Room. I’ll have to add it to my (very long) Netflix queue!

• Nancy says

Panic Room… great movie ! Interesting factoid: Kristen Stewart ( Robert Pattinson’s GF) plays the part of Jodie Foster’s young daughter in this thriller, I think it was her first major role…

23. Susan S says

Goodness! That’s one gorgeous house! Great architectural features! Thank you again, Julia for another winning post! Now, to see the movie….

24. Jan says

I wanted to add something that I love about Pottery Barn (there are lots of things, actually) even though one of my favorite episodes of Friends totally disses PB…
    Really worthwhile are the many videos of the actual homes used to shoot the catalogue. The homeowners are interviewed and all of them have great personal style.

25. madeleine says

I just saw this movie with my boyfriend (who’s a general contractor) and begged him to build us a house like this!! It is stunning!!
    Have you considered reviewing the house from Knocked Up? It looks like a beautiful house, I would love to learn more about it!! Love the site!!

The back of that house looks like the front of a good house on any day. Do you know what I mean? I hate how you see houses now and the front will be brick and then all the sides and back are vinyl and just plain. But, this house is gorgeous on all sides. Which makes sense for the price!

I saw this movie and laughed the whole time. It was wonderful I want you to cruise on over to my blog and check out the place in Houston where I attended a party last evening. It was amazing. Only a taste of the place and it is a private residence. A friend of my husband and I lives there.
    .-= amy cannon´s last blog ..Birthday Barty Like None Other!! =-.

28. Nita says

Julia,

You have created a wonderful site, a forever site, for all of us who love movies and the houses in them. This site gives me pleasure every day.

I love this gorgeous house! Now I really love it because I get to see the real (and movie) interiors! I haven’t seen the movie yet, much to my dismay, a waitress thwarted my attempts last week and I really want to see it. Any movie involving an attractive man and an adorable baby gets my ticket as I am a sucker for the rom com featuring that formula. This house is definitely Pottery Barn styled and that’s probably why I love it-it’s so light and open and the double archways? Shut.the.front.door. Great post, thanks Julia! I’m looking forward to the Addams Family mansion :)
    .-= Bre´s last blog ..Bewitching Beauty =-.

Interestingly enough, in the pic where Heigl is putting the baby into the tub, there is no man…but there IS a man’s forearm and hand on the edge of the tub!!!
    .-= Catherine´s last blog ..Coffee Flavored Coffee =-.

• hookedonhouses says

Ha! Look closer–that’s the top of Josh Duhamel’s baseball cap next to the arm. I think he was sitting on the floor. It does look funny! -Julia :-)

31. Susie says

Just saw the movie tonight and kept thinking I hope that this house gets on hooked on houses! So excited to see that it was already here!

Julia, thanks for the kudos for finding the listing!!! It looks like I wasn’t the only one begging for a post about this one. Thanks for getting it up so quickly. I can’t get enough of this house. Like another reader said, it makes me want to move to Atlanta.

P.S.- can I get a link to my site for the legwork, just wondering? Hey, it doesn’t hurt to ask, haha.
    .-= 1/2 a dozen´s last blog ..Look-a-Like Survey =-.

• hookedonhouses says

Absolutely! I just added it. Somehow I missed the fact that you had a blog or I would have linked to you before. Thanks again! -Julia

Thank you for putting up this house so quickly! I have to say I completely disagree with the movie’s poor reviews. I think it depends entirely on whether you’re a true romcom fan – which i am ;). If you love happy endings, cliches and laughs it’s for you!

34. Kim says

I LOVED the house in the movie so much. Multiple times I leaned over to my friend and told her that I wanted to live in that house because it was so nicely done. One of my favorite features was the step down into the room that connected to the kitchen. Thanks for the pics!

35. Teri says

Just saw the movie! Loved it! The house has so much southern charm! Does anyone know who did the artwork (landscapes), they are beautiful!

Hi Julia-

I saw this movie the first weekend it was out and can’t get the house out of my mind. I love the set decorating especially the kitchen and the stone fireplace. Someday… I enjoyed the move a lot also. Thanks for posting all about it.
    My best- Diane

37. Amanda says

I liked the movie… but I loved the house. In fact many times I had to force myself to stop looking at the house details and pay attention to what was going on in the movie! I loved the color, the ceilings, the moldings, and the stairs with the white bases and wood stained wood steps… oh my! I have been on a hunt for the wall color they used, but just can’t seem to find one I think is right. Has anyone heard what it is or know of a similar? (I’m talking about the wonderful caramelish tan color in the phot where he is smelling Sophie’s diaper.)

Thanks,
    Amanda

38. glo says

I am searching for the wall paint color of the room where Josh is smelling the baby’s diaper. Please let me know if you can find it! Thanks!

• Emma says

Can’t find the colors ised in Like as we know it…any luck finding it?

39. Amy says

Great Post. Thanks for sharing.
    Does anyone know who makes the woven rush kitchen counter chairs?

40. Julie says

Hey anyone know where the house is in Atlanta coz I live in Atlanta and want to know where it is!
    Thanks

41. Margie says

I too would very much like to know the wall and trim colors of the room where Josh is smelling the baby’s diaper. I would also like to know the wall color in the dining room. This house is stunning!

42. Coral says

I love this house! When my husband and I saw this movie, we barely paid attention to the plot–we were too busy pointing out all the things we loved about this house!

43. Casie Bentley says

I just watched the movie and loved the house so much that I got online and searched for information about it. Thanks so much for this blog. Obviously, it was a while back that it posted. I was wondering if there were any links to a house plan, or something similar.

44. Candace says

Just saw the movie! Can someone please explain to me how the window on the stairwell works with the rest of the house? I absolutely love that house!!

45. Noemi says

Loved the movie and the house. I bought the DVD just so I could form a floor plan but I’m not certain that the movie set equals a realistic floor plan. What do you think? As Candace said, how does the window on the stairwell work with the rest of the house, there is no such window on either the front or back of the house. It could be an interior window (overlooking the family room?) or just there because set creators took creative license. Aren’t all the french doors that separate rooms great! Houses today built for young families that want to be “together” have way too open a floor plan. I have five really big kids and I can’t get far enough away from them. The french doors and sidelights provide a great separation without sacrificing light. Thanks so much for having this blog, my husband and I are planning to tear down and rebuild and we are gathering bits and pieces from favorite houses we’ve seen and movie homes we loved. I’m especially glad to see the “Something’s Gotta Give” kitchen, it has always been one of my favorites. Thanks for all the photos from the real house and the set we loved.

• Candace says

Noemi- if you form some plans for this house please let me know! I’m absolutely in love with the movie house, especially the back hallway!

46. Ashley says

Just watched the dvd from Netflix. Cute. I LOVED the artwork throughout the house! Especially the piece above the console in the living room – an abstract scene of a lake. Any ideas on where that came from???

47. kristina says

We’re watching the movie tonight. It will be fun to re-visit this post tomorrow. Thanks for a fun preview.

48. paulette says

Where can I buy those kitchen wicker bar stools that were in the movie? Love them!

49. Jill says

I love the real house. Not that the set isn’t lovely, but the real house is gorgeous. So much more personality!

50. Stephanie says

Does anyone where I could find the set of three free-standing magnifying glasses on the console table behind the couch in the living room? I am would like to bring some more glass peices into our house to “lighten it up” and I think these would do the trick. Any help is appreciated!!

51. Tim says

Great post. I found this page through a google search after I watched the movie on Netflix. I grew up in that neighborhood. Club Drive has always had a whiff of luxury, but I was floored to see the price on that place. Wow.

52. Melissa Klose says

I saw this movie last night for the first time and fell in love with this house. I knew I could come here and find lots of info on it. :) Thanks!

53. rosie says

hi guys I really need to see a pic of the huge cup cake like cake that she mad for sophie for her bday…trying to make the same thing for my daughters bday….help:(

54. Amanda says

I love this house and the interiors. Does anyone know where I could find the two chairs in the second picture? The two actors are sitting in them facing each other in front of the fire place. Please let me know if anyone knows where I could find them or something similar. Thank you!

55. Maggie says

Please help! I loooove the kitchen barstools in the “feeding baby in the kitchen” picture. I’ve looked everywhere with no luck. Any idea where I can find them? Thank you! Maggie

56. Betty Cook says

Did you ever get the stills of Sophies room in the movie, from the video where the parents brought her home and they were fighting about the paint smell? I want to do my daughters room like that but cannot for the life of me find it anywhere online!!

57. michelle says

in the picture of josh and catherine sitting on the ground in the hallway at bottom of stairs….there seems to be a mans hairy arm and blue jeaned leg in side the sitting room on right hand side of room visible through glass doors …looks weird…