The Colorful Queen Anne Victorian in “Meet the Fockers”

Victorian house from "Meet the Fockers" movie |

The 2004 Ben Stiller comedy Meet the Fockers wasn’t the best movie ever made, but it made me laugh a few times, and it featured a rambling old Queen Anne Victorian that was fun to look at. Production Editor Rusty Smith says that they wanted it to have a Caribbean vibe, filled with odd and interesting objects that reflected its well-traveled owners.

"Meet the Fockers' Victorian house with RV parked out front

When they found this house East of Los Angeles, they thought would be perfect for the Focker family home, but it was “too white.” The Byrns house in the first movie (Meet the Parents) was white, as you may recall, and they wanted something different. Smith says they went through a lot of colors before deciding on this rustic red.

Here’s how it looks normally (white):

Queen Anne Cottage-white

Built in the 1880s, it was known as “Baldwin Cottage” because it was built by Elias Jackson Baldwin. Today it’s referred to more often as “Queen Anne Cottage” and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

You may recognize the house from the old TV show Fantasy Island–remember that one? You can read more about Queen Anne Cottage on the L.A. County Arboretum website.

staircase 2

purple room 1

One of the jokes is that Greg’s real name is Gaylord Myron Focker. Here is the “Wall of Gaylord” that his parents have decorated like a shrine to their son in the purple family room:

purple room 3

purple room 4

purple room 5

purple room 6

There’s only one working bathroom in the house, and Bernie (Dustin Hoffman) sees no problem with sharing:

Rozalin's study 2

Rozalin's study 1

Rozalin's study 3

I love the yellow kitchen, and that fabulous vintage blue stove:

kitchen 1

Production Editor Rusty Smith says that the rooms were all huge to make it easier to film in them.

kitchen 4

kitchen 5

kitchen 6

kitchen 3

The Screened Porch:

screened porch 1

The stairs were designed like this so that the director could do a “Hitchcockian” look down them during the scene when Greg loses the baby and is frantically searching for him:

staircase 1

A glimpse at the upstairs hallway:

upstairs hallway

Roz and Bernie’s Bedroom:

Roz and Bernie's room 1

Roz and Bernie's room 3

the lagoon

I wouldn’t go for this much pattern in color in my own home, but I thought it was perfect for the house on “Focker Isle,” don’t you think? :-)

P.S. Visit Houses Onscreen to see more, including…

A Real Life UP Disney Movie House in Utah

Stepford Wives movie remake houses in Connecticut |
The 2004 remake of The Stepford Wives starred Nicole Kidman and Matthew Broderick as a couple that moves to the picture-perfect suburbs of Connecticut, only…
Auntie Mame movie set design
The 1958 movie Auntie Mame is considered a classic, and it's a kick to watch for the constantly changing, over-the-top sets and costumes. It was…

1. Kim says

Thanks for sharing this! The kitchen, staircase, and outside are nice, but there’s too much going on in the interior. You can really tell that the parents went on tons of vacations, with all of that stuff on the walls, and outdated furniture.

• hookedonhouses says

Thanks, Derek! I just updated the post. Very helpful! -Julia

I’m going to have to say that for some strange reason ‘I like this house’… I love that it’s eclectic and has a warm happy feeling to it… whether I’d like it for my own home… no, but if I lived in a warmer climate, with a house that size, then yeah I could live with it… except for the study… I’m not sure how that would fly with the parents?? Lx
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..A cup of tea &amp a fig &amp pistachio scone =-.

3. Heather says

I totally agree with you about the movie……..not exactly a 5 star.
    But I always watch it when it comes on because of the house!

I think I may have been able to decorate this movie house…just keep layering! What fun to see it though, and what I would give for a house that size!
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..Sunday Scripture =-.

Julia-Maybe it doesn’t take much to entertain me, but I loved this movie! Perhaps it was seeing these big name actors in such silly roles–Barbara Streisand was a perfect sex therapist! DeNiro’s “I’m watching you” motion has become a staple at our house :) I remember thinking how dark and dreary the house seemed, but I love the outside! Thanks for another great one!
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..The Little Engine That Could…A Metamorphosis =-.

• hookedonhouses says

Me, too! I’d love to see some interior photos. If anyone finds any, let us know! -Julia

The house is just too cluttered for me, but I did love the Bendix washer in the kitchen. The outside of the house (when it’s white) is just beautiful.
    .-= Carrie´s last blog ..Menu Plan and an Update =-.

7. Mandy Sadler says

my husband loves this movie – i guess its a guy thng – we watched “You, Me and Dupree” this weekend and the movie itself while not great has an AWESOME house where the whole movie is based in – would love to see the behind the scences to that one. thanks…

• hookedonhouses says

I just finished writing a Movie Monday post about “You, Me and Dupree,” and I plan to publish it in early November. Hope you can wait that long! Thanks, Mandy. -Julia :-)

It was nowhere near as funny as Meet the Parents, but I had a laugh (or two). I have to agree with you–love the stove! I also like the yellow lower cabinets. :)
    .-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..This the Week =-.

It was such a silly, inane movie – and I watch it each and every time it is on. Funny and slapstick and a great way to escape, now, even more so with your behind-the-scenes take on it. Is that an old washing machine or freezer just left of the refrigerator? There is just so much to take in – good thing my schedule is light today and it is gloomy outdoors. I can enjoy this all afternoon long. tee hee

Thanks for yet another good movie house.
    .-= Penny´s last blog ..Moonflower =-.

As soon as I saw today’s title I was praying it wasn’t a fake house. You broke my heart with the Practical Magic bombshell & I’m still recovering. Think it looks way better red!!
    .-= Lauren´s last blog ..Flipping Rule 17 =-.

11. Kathy :) says

I agree with you Julia…..not the greatest movie….but funny funny in some parts, I enjoy Babs…

Did not know that about Fantasy Island…I loved that show !!! If I could have or be anyting for the week-end hmmmmm I don’t know….that would be a fun post !!!

Kathy :)

I had lots of good chuckles watching this movie and it was fun to have a good look at all the interior quirks that are often hard to spot while a movie is playing. Set designers have such a great imagination!
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..Napa Valley Beringer Winery =-.

Wow what a difference red paint makes! This movie was not as funny as the original but I loved Greg “Gaylord’s” parents. Brilliant casting and watching Bob and Dustin together is always amusing. That house is a menagerie of stuff, color, prints, and textures! I have to agree with you, I’m partial to the yellow kitchen and awesome vintage stove. Thank you for another great Movie Monday!
    .-= Bre´s last blog ..Fill in the Blanks =-.

14. Cody says

I really don’t like this house in white either. The darker color lends a sense of mystery and the details show up better. In white, it’s glaring and too “bridal lighthouse” for my taste.

15. Amit says

Have you done a posting of the Burns family home from Meet the Parents?

• hookedonhouses says

No, I haven’t done “Meet the Parents.” Sorry! -Julia

16. Angela says

Well….my work has officially “banned” the internet…and you are one of the few sites I still have left…THANK YOU…not sure how you did this – but so glad you don’t fall under “web communications”! Due to this, I am also nixing any new blog posts of my own!

This house is CRAZY – but I love that thing in the back of one of the kitchen scenes – is that a light blue old-school washing machine?!

~angela @ peonypatch