Sandra Bullock (& Baby!) Move Into a New Orleans Victorian

by hookedonhouses on May 10, 2010

People magazine cover-Sandra Bullock baby

As People magazine announced in a recent cover story, Sandra Bullock has filed for divorce from Jesse James, secretly adopted a baby boy named Louis, put her California beach house on the market, and moved into the Gothic Victorian house she owns in New Orleans. (Whew! She’s been busy.)

Sandra Bullock's Gothic Victorian mansion

According to CasaSugar, Sandra and her soon-to-be-ex bought this Victorian home for $2.25 million last summer.

Sandra Bullock's New Orleans house picsThe Koch-Mays house, as it’s known, was built in the 1860s. It has 6,615 square feet, 5 bedrooms, and 4.5 baths.

Sandra Bullock's New Orleans Victorian

It’s a pretty grand and formal place for a new mom and her baby to live in, don’t you think? I imagine there may be some redecorating needed to make it a little more family friendly. But compared to all the other changes Sandra Bullock has made in her life recently, a little redecorating should be a piece of cake.

Thanks to Kim for sending me the photos! You can read more about the house and see more photos at The Real Estalker, Zimbio, and CasaSugar. Visit my Celebrity Houses page to see more!

Love Sandra Bullock movies? See photos of the houses from some of them: Practical Magic, Hope Floats, and While You Were Sleeping.

greenie May 10, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Haven’t really been paying attention to her personal life–good for her!
The exterior of this house is beautiful, but the interiors all look a might stuffy. I’m sure there’s some redecorating in her plans.

Nancy@marcusdesign May 10, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Wow, when I saw the photos inside I thought just as you did…I hope she’ll hire someone to do a little redecorating!! But it is a very grand and beautiful home. And let’s face it, it has pretty good curb appeal!
Nancy
.-= Nancy@marcusdesign´s last blog ..{pretty presentation + great conversation} =-.

Julie Harward May 10, 2010 at 11:19 pm

I so agree…leave the bum behind in the curb with the low life women and move on with a piece of Heaven..baby and new home! Come say hi :D
.-= Julie Harward´s last blog ..MOTHERHOOD IS SUCH A GIFT…. =-.

Janell Beals May 10, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Yes, that decor seems quite uptight and not very welcoming…I would love seeing it after she is done making it hers. Janell

Rhianna May 10, 2010 at 11:36 pm
Flory May 10, 2010 at 11:46 pm

what a beautiful house to live… i love the exterior
.-= Flory´s last blog ..Design Shopping: Heima’s colorful creations =-.

Annie@ A view on design May 11, 2010 at 12:03 am

wow, from outside it’s stunning, clearly in need of a re-do tho!!! good on sandra for opening her home and heart to a child in need. Only special people do this these days!
.-= Annie@ A view on design´s last blog ..Two Victorian Lovelies for Mother’s Day! =-.

Kim May 11, 2010 at 1:40 am

Your Welcome! I am glad to be of help anytime I can. I really love Sandra Bullock’s house, it’s one I can picture her living in. The inside and outside are gorgeous. She really does have great taste. I bet whatever decorating Sandra Bullock does to her house, will make it look much nicer. That’s if she does anything with the inside.

LeAnn May 11, 2010 at 4:10 am

This home could be fantastic with the right decorating. Hope we will be able to see it when it’s done.
.-= LeAnn´s last blog ..Color and more color! =-.

Becky K May 11, 2010 at 6:23 am

I love the exterior…and like everyone else am sure that once it is warmed up the inside will be amazing too.

This puts a new spin on Victorian…especially the photo with the pool.

Becky k.
Hospitality Lane
.-= Becky K´s last blog ..A Deposit in the Relationship Bank =-.

Julie May 11, 2010 at 6:53 am

Any move to New Orleans is a good move in my book ;). Hope she loves it there, she will be a great addition to the city. She might be my favorite actress ever–we have the same taste in towns. Tybee Island GA and now New Orleans. Go Sandra! And I agree about kicking him to the curb–she should have more confidence and go for a good guy this time around!
.-= Julie´s last blog ..Glimpses of home =-.

Liz@VioletPosy May 11, 2010 at 7:23 am

It needs bit of a makeover but has lovely bones, I’m sure it’ll be a lovely home for her and her little boy.
.-= Liz@VioletPosy´s last blog ..{The Gallery} Week 11 – Men =-.

Karena May 11, 2010 at 8:32 am

Julia, good for her, I am sure she will update the decor and it will be perfect for Sandra & her little one!

Karena
Art by Karena
.-= Karena´s last blog ..Art Exhibit KCAC First Friday Photos =-.

duchess May 11, 2010 at 8:33 am

Definitely needs to be warmed up a little. I can’t exactly see a toddler running around like it is now. Hope she has fun getting on with her new life with her baby boy.
.-= duchess´s last blog ..Beautiful Home Tour =-.

Tricia Rose May 11, 2010 at 8:46 am

Another delicious mix of architecture, benign gossip and social history! Why are all the stars buying in New Orleans? (apart from the obvious = beautiful, REAL houses?)
.-= Tricia Rose´s last blog ..Peter Pan =-.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints May 11, 2010 at 8:58 am

Lots of changes…wow!! I can’t imagine living in a house that prim and proper. I’m sure she’ll make it homey. She seems like a homey kind of gal:)
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..The Luau =-.

Black Eyed Susans Kitchen May 11, 2010 at 9:16 am

Classy woman, I wish her the best and hope she will be happy in the house. It is quite a house! Personally, I think it would be a lot of fun to rework the rooms and make it comfortable for a family..just think of all the possibilities!
.-= Black Eyed Susans Kitchen´s last blog ..BUTTER BELLS AND ROSE PETALS =-.

Kelli May 11, 2010 at 9:21 am

Yes, she’s definitely going to need to make some changes so that it’s more suited for life with a small child. Hopefully those pictures were from MLS when she bought it? It’s really beautiful, though, and New Orleans is such a neat, culturally rich place to live.
.-= Kelli´s last blog ..Tuesday Truth #11 – I harbor illogical guilt =-.

DesignTies May 11, 2010 at 10:04 am

I love the exterior of the house… the interior could use a bit of updating, though!! I’m sure Sandra will make it beautiful :-) She’s going to have to adopt a dog or two now to help fill up all that space!!

It’s great to see Sandra moving ahead with her life. Good for her!!

Kelly

Melissa May 11, 2010 at 10:08 am

Yeah, pretty fancy-schmancy for my taste. I like things classic but comfortable. That’s just me. If it were my house, I would edit, edit, edit–Maybe the only thing she will have to add is a gate around the pool. I hope this is a great new chapter in her life & she is truly happy. :)
.-= Melissa´s last blog ..Lt. Dan Band =-.

hip hip gin gin May 11, 2010 at 10:11 am

Gorgeous house, but I must admit I’m not a fan of the interior. I’m sure she will, or maybe already has, redecorated it so that it is not quite so old and stuffy. I hope she is happy and enjoying that adorable little baby!! Poor Sandy going from feeling on top of the world with the Oscar to feeling I can’t even imagine how horrible with the whole husband debacle. I hope little Louis is healing her broken heart.
.-= hip hip gin gin´s last blog ..A Daughter’s Love =-.

Alison Agnew May 11, 2010 at 10:31 am

Just gawgeous! (She said with a proper New Oleans drawl….) Thanks for posting.

Alison
.-= Alison Agnew´s last blog ..Ruffles….. =-.

Jenny May 11, 2010 at 10:41 am

Not a baby friendly house, but I’m sure she’ll do some remodeling.
.-= Jenny´s last blog ..Our Weekend Impulse Buy =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now May 11, 2010 at 11:38 am

That home certainly has beautiful bones, but I don’t think a “young” family would feel very comfortable there…I think you might be on to something with the redecorating. :)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Party Favor for a 99 Year Old’s Birthday Party? =-.

Kathy :) May 11, 2010 at 11:49 am

WOW I must say I am a bit shocked at the style of the house she choose…well I was also shocked at the guy she picked too. I saw her interviewed by Barbra Walters before the Oscars and she said he was the only one in her life that ever had her back !!!! When Jesse did Celeb Apprentice with Donald Trump he outright asked him “How’d you get someone like Sandra”???

I have always loved her……she just seems so down to earth…..I wish her all the best !!!

Thanks for sharing this post Julia….

Kathy :)

Annelise May 11, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I look forward to seeing the after photos of the house, so grand. I would have thought she would have moved to Austin on the lake somewhere, maybe a vacation house there.
.-= Annelise´s last blog ..Mystery Girl =-.

Helena May 11, 2010 at 1:41 pm

how pretty!
.-= Helena´s last blog ..Obsessions 3: La Mariniere =-.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions May 11, 2010 at 2:31 pm

It is certainly a beautiful home, although it doesn’t really say “family friendly” to me, Julia. Maybe a little too opulent for a little one who will soon be crawling around.

Struggler May 11, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Poor thing, she certainly has had a lot going on.
I agree, it doesn’t feel all that friendly right now. Hopefully she’ll be able to family-ify it soon.
.-= Struggler´s last blog ..Walk This Way, Please =-.

Dagny @ Scandinavian Chic May 11, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Love it! Am so irritated over there not being any New Orleans architecture here in Norway!!

Hope she did something to the decor!!

xoxo
dagny
.-= Dagny @ Scandinavian Chic´s last blog ..A home after my taste =-.

cynthia May 11, 2010 at 4:57 pm

just ador sander and her movies hope she enjoys new orleans we do sad about your divorce but we hope for your happyness to return soon love your house to

Angela May 11, 2010 at 5:28 pm

I was just in New Orleans about a month ago (actually the week when the spill happened), and I fell in love with the French Quarter!! The homes are amazing! We did one of those carriage rides and our driver told us all sorts of great stories and showed us all kinds of special architectural features there! It was awesome! (and that’s not even getting started on the food!)
This house is gorgeous. In the pictures, it doesn’t appear to be a very comfortable house to live in, but like you said, she probably did some redecorating!!! Especially with a baby in the house!

~angela @ peonypatch
.-= Angela´s last blog ..Book Signing =-.

StuccoHouse May 11, 2010 at 5:54 pm

My, those New Orleans houses are spectacular. I wish we could see more of that kitchen….
.-= StuccoHouse´s last blog ..2nd Annual Bungalow Blog Tour =-.

Stephanie May 11, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Redecorate? Huh? It’s period appropriate! Obviously pair it down and baby proof, but don’t turn it in to a Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware cliche’!

Cristin May 11, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I have been so impressed the way Sandra has handled all the good & bad press lately. She appears to be a classy lady! Thanks for sharing her new home pix.

xo,
cristin
.-= Cristin´s last blog ..9 by Design – Benefits Show Tonight =-.

Ambano May 11, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I like the entire house except bedroom look so goudy ( cheap).

Tony May 11, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Seeing that she is a compassionate and caring person makes her hotter than ever before. JJ really mesed up something good there.

Lesley @ TheDesignFile May 11, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I hope we get to see some interior photos after she gets finished with what will surely be a dramatic makeover.

I try not to pay too much attention to celebrity stuff but I find that I’m always rooting for her. Go get ‘em Sandra!
.-= Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..George Nelson modular cabinets will be back soon =-.

Sandra May 11, 2010 at 8:05 pm

I’m so proud of Sandra Bullock after all she’s been through with Jesse James, going through that while still keeping up with her career is just absolutely amazing! Now she gets to enjoy “Motherhood” & all the happiness that brings. I think that the house is absolutely extravagant it suits her. Enjoy being a mom Sandra & may you always be overwhelmed by the grace of God rather than by the cares of life.

Renae Moore May 11, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Oh how I would love to decorate that place. I hope SB is able to heal and move forward.
.-= Renae Moore´s last blog ..Project Monday: Hanging Flower Baskets =-.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno May 11, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Whoa, talk about baby-proofing necessary in that place! ha
.-= Sara @ Russet Street Reno´s last blog ..Frog tape, cats and general disorder =-.

The Shiny Pebble May 11, 2010 at 9:48 pm

the outside of this home is amazing, but you are right… major redecorating needed.
.-= The Shiny Pebble´s last blog ..The Art of Blogging by Struggling to Be Stylish =-.

Nancy May 11, 2010 at 10:18 pm

I’m sure it will be perfect in no time! In with the new! How about the house in “Blind Side”!? I didn’t miss that, did I? Gorgeous!!!!
~Nancy
.-= Nancy´s last blog ..Happy Mother’s Day Video and #7 of BB =-.

hookedonhouses May 12, 2010 at 9:41 am

Nancy–
You didn’t miss a post about “Blind Side.” I’m still working on it! -Julia :-)

The Zhush May 11, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Yes, that adorable baby and now this project (she has to be redecorating…right?) will be a welcome change in her life I am sure! So great that you hunted this down….and so quickly!
.-= The Zhush´s last blog ..Not Your Grandma’s Dishes {any more} =-.

Chris May 11, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Directly across the street from the Benjamin Button house !

Susan May 11, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I’d love to see this after she puts her spin on it. It’s a beauty! Maybe Harry Connick knows a nice guy he can introduce her to :) She deserves a nice guy!
.-= Susan´s last blog ..Who’s Going Home? =-.

Vanessa May 11, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Love Sandra and her baby is so beautiful! Ditto what everyone said about the interior – needs a lot of work.
.-= Vanessa´s last blog ..New Design Show with Ty Pennington Filming in Toronto =-.

sarah jones May 12, 2010 at 8:53 am

that really is extremely formal….i hope she will redecorate and post pics!
.-= sarah jones´s last blog ..Thomasville {Part 2} =-.

Kate (Little Beach Bum) May 12, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Beautiful home…especially that iron-work. But I would imagine that place would be kind of scary on a dark and stormy night! As a side note, I find it interesting that that was the style of house she was drawn to. I would picture her in a more laid-back kind of place…who knows why. Probably just because of the characters she has played!
.-= Kate (Little Beach Bum)´s last blog ..The Everglades, Part IV: Kayaking (And Crocodiles…) =-.

Penny May 12, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Fabulous exterior! I’m sure she will make the interior equally as fabulous. I like her style! She’s so cool! And now she has totally blown me away with the love she is showing for this little boy. What an enormous responsibility with even greater rewards.

Stargazer May 18, 2010 at 11:51 pm

I don’t like it. It looks cluttered and mashup. There’s just too much going on, nothing seems co-ordinated. Mostly, it looks OLD.

Kenai "Joker" Walkincrow May 21, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Sandra has always been my favorite actress and to see her new home reminds me a bit of the Practical Magic house although, this one is real. Love the house Sandra. Keep up the great work! Peace!

Joker Out!

Hamtonitegal June 8, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Definitely must be in the garden district. Those homes are amazing. Used to live in New Orleans and that was by far the most presitgious area. The homes there are old and incredible. Very close to the French Quarter as well.. really great area!!!!

Murphyanm June 10, 2010 at 7:34 am

So weird…this is just the home I pictured in a VC Andrews book I read back in the day.

ELIZABETH June 30, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I’M FROM THE SOUTH AND I’M SO TIRED OF ALL THOSE COLONIAL HOUSES. THEY’RE SO COLD INSIDE. GIVE ME ONE OF THOSE MODERN HOMES LIKE NICOLE KIDMAN’S LA HOUSE. HAVE YOU NOTICED THAT EVERY TIME A PICTURE IS MADE OF HER ADOPTED BABY,HE’S LOOKING RIGHT AT THE CAMERA?JUST SAYING……….

Tiffany January 5, 2011 at 10:12 am

It is a dream of mine to live in that type of home and in that area. Gorgeous old homes. I would love to see the interior done sort of like the Practical Magic house. Still traditional but more contemporary.

Kate January 22, 2011 at 6:36 am

i think the house only looks stuffy due to the old fashioned interior – you can bet she’ll modernise that from day one! i think it will look beautiful :). also, it’s very cute she’s moved to new orleans now she has her little cutie!
.-= Kate´s last blog ..Photo =-.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy January 24, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Lovely but a bit opulent for my taste.

I have a request/suggestion, I recently saw the inside of Dita Von Tesse home (in Feb’s InStyle magazine) and was wondering if you know anything about the exterior?
.-= Juju at Tales of Whimsy´s last blog ..Belles Library- Ditas Library =-.

Shelly June 21, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Looks like a place you would see many a ghost!!!

ELEENA BISHOP April 28, 2012 at 10:38 pm

You know that shit is haunted! I would love to live there because it is so beautiful but I’d be scared all the time lol!

Barbara September 10, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I think Sandra’s Victorian home is too gawdy.
It looks like something the Gabor sisters would
have decorated.