Fig Tree Cottage: English Country Style in Australia

by hookedonhouses on January 13, 2010

Fig Tree Cottage-picket fence

Welcome to Fig Tree Cottage. This charming little home, with its white picket fence and diamond-paned windows, looks like something out of a fairy tale. When Alison sent me these photos of her house, I assumed it was in England. Turns out it’s actually in Australia, in a scenic mountain area near Queensland.

Fig Tree Cottage-front door

Alison’s cottage has two bedrooms and two baths.  And–lucky for anyone traveling in the Queensland area–you can rent it when you’re on holiday.

Fig Tree Cottage-fireplace

Anyone else imagining themselves having a Cameron Diaz (Holiday) moment here?

cottage staircase

The description on the website says:

This exquisitely captivating Cotswold Cottage was lovingly hand-crafted to replicate all the most enthralling features of Old World living. Quaint little doorways, heavy timber beams and dreamy upstairs dormer windows combine with the timber stairway and huge old brick fireplace to create an enveloping sense of cosiness and warmth. Polished timber floors on the upper level and quarry tiles on the ground level are perfect with the English cottage decor.

Fig Tree Cottage-bedroom

I love this windowseat, piled with pillows:

Fig Tree Cottage-breakfast nook

You can see the rest of the photos and get more information about Fig Tree Cottage here. Thanks to Alison for sharing it with us!

Fig Tree Cottage-kitchen*5/12 UPDATE: Fig Tree Cottage For Sale (White Picket Fence Included).

Visit my “Cottages” page to see more, including…

Gingerbread-cottage-for-sale-Mount-Tabor-NJ1

E. George January 13, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Hi Julia what can I say perrrrfect. Thanks Alison for sharing and Julia you are a Champ for taking the time to share with all of us much appreciated always…. Regards Esther from Sydney.

linda@LimeintheCoconut January 13, 2010 at 10:27 pm

THAT was heavenly! What a charming charming place!

Janelle January 13, 2010 at 10:31 pm

*Gasp!!* I love the wood stove in the fireplace. And the kitchen — while I don’t like the curtains in the kitchen, I love how white and open it is above the counters.

Amanda @ Serenity Now January 13, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I am in looooove. I can see Jude Law and myself being quite happy here. ;)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Decorating Dilemmas Party…Round 5! =-.

Emily@remodelingthislife January 13, 2010 at 10:39 pm

It’s so charming. I love it! The house I grew up in had that exact wood burning stove. Oh fond memories…
.-= Emily@remodelingthislife´s last blog ..A New Me =-.

Carmen January 13, 2010 at 10:50 pm

That is about the cutest cottage I’ve ever seen. I want to live there! ;)
.-= Carmen´s last blog ..Out in the open storage =-.

Ashley L. January 13, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Oh my gosh. This is STRAIGHT OUT OF the Holiday! It’s so dreamy. I could use a getaway in that cottage right about now.

Jocelyn Stott January 13, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Love love love love love love. That is all I can say.
.-= Jocelyn Stott´s last blog ..Healthy Inspiration via Ms. Gloria Gaynor =-.

Edwina January 13, 2010 at 11:47 pm

But wait, this is less than an hour from my place, which means I CAN rent it for holidays! How exciting…
.-= Edwina´s last blog ..Giveaway! =-.

pamela January 13, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Pure charm.

Lesley @ TheDesignFile January 14, 2010 at 12:01 am

I would truly take this little house over one of those crazy mansions any time! This is so cozy.

My favorite thing is that gorgeous staircase. It’s so perfect for the house. And I love those diamond paned windows.

Thanks for sharing this little gem!
.-= Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..Etsy pick: Easy furniture plans for a modern home =-.

The Little Red Shop January 14, 2010 at 12:34 am

Beautiful!

: )

Julie M.
.-= The Little Red Shop´s last blog ..Night Lights… =-.

Heidi January 14, 2010 at 12:47 am

About as perfect as the word “cottage” might render pictures in my head. How I would love to stay at a cozy cottage like this once in my lifetime!

Karen January 14, 2010 at 1:26 am

I could live here… Happily Ever After!
.-= Karen´s last blog ..Tablescape Thursday – Franciscan Apple and Vintage Del Mar Silverplate =-.

Annie@A View on Design January 14, 2010 at 2:10 am

this is a great looking place, I don’t think I could bear living there permanently (where’s the plasma!), but visiting – I’m in!
.-= Annie@A View on Design´s last blog ..All class on the Gold Coast =-.

Kim January 14, 2010 at 2:28 am

That’s a lovely looking cottage, but there’s no way I could stand living in a place that small. I need lots of space.

Becky K. January 14, 2010 at 6:01 am

What a very adorable space!
I love that stairway so much!

If money were no object I could
definitely vacation in this special
cottage.

Becky K.
Hospitality Lane
.-= Becky K.´s last blog ..Winter Art =-.

Amanda January 14, 2010 at 7:11 am

Oh it’s lovely and you are so right – it totally reminds me of Iris’s cottage in The Holiday :) I adore that window seat with all of those comfy cushions piled up.
.-= Amanda´s last blog ..Heavenly Holiday Houses =-.

Candy @ SoBella Creations January 14, 2010 at 7:38 am

I always love the way a cottage looks so warm and inviting.

Cyndi January 14, 2010 at 8:19 am

Ah, now that is my type of house! I love cottages and would absolutely love to live in one like that. I’d change some of the furnishings, but the house and gardens are just divine!

Thanks for sharing all these wonderful houses with us. I love how you will show us an absolutely hideous, gaudy place like that “palace” and then counter it with something so lovely as this cottage. You do such a great job and your site is one of my all-time favorites!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog January 14, 2010 at 8:35 am

What a sweet little place. I love that stairwell!
.-= Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog´s last blog ..Needy MckLinky =-.

christy January 14, 2010 at 9:03 am

Ooh la la I LOVE this cottage! And it does look like the one in the Holiday movie! Great post Julia!
.-= christy´s last blog ..I’m a lazy pregnant lady =-.

Janet January 14, 2010 at 9:32 am

Super cute. I love the kitchen, it’s adorable. I would love to see more of the garden.
.-= Janet´s last blog ..Organic Style =-.

Linda January 14, 2010 at 9:36 am

Adorable! I expecially love the picket fence.

Cashon & Co. January 14, 2010 at 9:48 am

I’m in love……

Bailey January 14, 2010 at 10:08 am

That first image literally knocked the breath out of me for a second, that is my DREAM nook of a house. Totally the Holiday and also a little hobitty and magical.
.-= Bailey´s last blog ..Let’s hear it for New York, New York, New York… =-.

Charis January 14, 2010 at 10:14 am

I love the hydrangea blossom greeting you at the front door.

Liz January 14, 2010 at 11:31 am

I absolutely love it! So warm and cozy. Now this is a home!

Lauren Liess January 14, 2010 at 11:50 am

Oh my gosh I just love it!!! Totally fairytale!! I want climbing roses on my house!!!

xoxo,
lauren
.-= Lauren Liess´s last blog ..Eddie Ross: Before & After Guest Blog =-.

Sarah @ Dream In Domestic January 14, 2010 at 12:24 pm

It looks like I have another house crush! This one is amazing! I love how whimsical everything is and how cozy each and every part of those is without being cluttered or overdone. I would snatch up this home in a heartbeat!
.-= Sarah @ Dream In Domestic´s last blog ..Think About It Thursday: Tackling the Bedroom Bookcase Head On: Part Two =-.

rue January 14, 2010 at 12:32 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE it….. what a darling cottage! This more than makes up for my eyes burning yesterday ;)

rue
.-= rue´s last blog ..A walk in the snow =-.

laney January 14, 2010 at 1:53 pm

…be still my heart…is is perfect…

Deidra January 14, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Great curb appeal…my goodness!

Hey…I thought of you last night while watching “Modern Family.” Very cool houses on that show!
.-= Deidra´s last blog ..On A Budget:: =-.

Suzy January 14, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I think I see a second honeymoon spot! How wonderful!!!
Thanks for sharing :)
.-= Suzy´s last blog ..Alice Springs Chicken =-.

Kathy January 14, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Love this cottage. Thanks for sharing it after the gaudiness of yesterday’s house. Would much rather stay in the cottage.

Struggler January 14, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Lovely – and I suspect it enjoys a much better climate in Australia than if it were in England.
.-= Struggler´s last blog ..I’m on the Bleachers =-.

Nita January 14, 2010 at 6:49 pm

I want it!!!!! I would love to live in a house like this!!!! Thank you so much for showing it to us.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints January 14, 2010 at 7:27 pm

How adorable!! It does resemble the cottage in the Holiday. Love that move…love that cottage:) Now when can I book a flight to Queensland??
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..The touch of her hand =-.

Becky in SC January 14, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Beautiful…Beautiful…Beautiful. Makes me think I’m in a Fairy Tale!!
I searched your blog to see if I could find a post on the Biltmore House in Asheville, NC…..America’s largest house. It’s open for tours. I had the opportunity to tour it couple of years ago. Unbelievable!!

Shannan January 14, 2010 at 10:25 pm

I LOVE the name…and yes, I was having a “Holiday” moment, which briefly turned into a surreal moment when you read my mind and called it! What a gem.
.-= Shannan´s last blog ..Baby, It’s Cold Outside =-.

rebecca January 14, 2010 at 11:30 pm

How precious is that cottage, I love it so much more than the manison

Kristen @ More Than Mulberries January 15, 2010 at 1:01 am

Absolutely charming! Reminds me so much of The Holiday – but maybe that’s why I love it? I could relax and do nothing there for days!
.-= Kristen @ More Than Mulberries´s last blog ..The Bachelor: See Ya Rozlyn! =-.

Angela (Cottage Magpie) January 15, 2010 at 1:21 am

Oh my goodness, that’s the cutest cottage I’ve ever seen! I’m saving every photo for my “someday dream” pile. I’m wondering–any chance that the owner would be willing to share a basic floor plan so I can show it to my architect someday? Nothing fancy, even just a photo of a sketch on a napkin would work. Goodness, I love that house! You give the best house on the net!!
~Angela :-)
.-= Angela (Cottage Magpie)´s last blog ..Thinking About Dream Houses =-.

Annie@A View on Design January 15, 2010 at 6:34 am

lovely lovely lovely – it just doesn’t look like a QLD property tho, these days, I’m finding most QLD places are sooo modern! much colder than this little home! Love it!
.-= Annie@A View on Design´s last blog ..All class on the Gold Coast =-.

Cheryl January 15, 2010 at 7:02 am

Lovely, quaint, charming…absolutely perfect! I’d love to have a fairytale cottage like this someday. It would be the perfect retirement home.

Suzann from The Olive Cottage January 15, 2010 at 7:45 am

I can only imagine walking up to that picket fence every day. Oh I’m in love!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions January 15, 2010 at 9:36 am

Love it! And, yes, I did think of that movie! Nice contrast to the other one. : )

Liz@VioletPosy January 15, 2010 at 11:23 am

I am so in love with that house – just adorable! Thanks for sharing x
.-= Liz@VioletPosy´s last blog ..Georgian London =-.

Pam January 15, 2010 at 11:58 am

A dream come true.
.-= Pam´s last blog ..Blatant Self Promotion Warning! =-.

Stephanie January 15, 2010 at 12:08 pm

This might be one of my favorite so far…so charming!
.-= Stephanie´s last blog ..starting up CANVAS UNWRAPPED again, this story was worth reposting =-.

Beth@The Stories of A2Z January 15, 2010 at 12:10 pm

It is adorable! How fun.
.-= Beth@The Stories of A2Z´s last blog ..Mantel Party #2 =-.

melissa @ the inspired room January 15, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Oh how I adore this house.
.-= melissa @ the inspired room´s last blog ..Decorating With A Little Hint of Spring Green (and the Winter Home Linky) =-.

Why S? January 15, 2010 at 4:02 pm

That’s adorable. Actually, I think I do need a vacation.
.-= Why S?´s last blog ..Epiphany =-.

Alison Pryce January 15, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Hi, This is Alison, my husband Sam and I own figtree cottage. Thank you so much for all your lovely comments. They really warm my heart! Figtree is a very special place, so I wanted to share it with you all. I bought the lovely cottage in December fully furnished, since these photos were taken I have made some changes. It is even lovelier now,and the garden is now in full summer bloom! Keep checking the website from time to time as I will be updating the photo’s. Come and stay any time your’re in Australia!
Take Care Alison x

Dawn January 16, 2010 at 10:09 am

I love this place! Now I want a charming cottage of my own!

Pamela Eaton January 20, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Oh My . . It just couldn’t be any cuter . . or sweeter . . or more homey!! It is an absolute dollhouse . . and I love it’s name!!! Pamela

Susie Q January 28, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I. WANT. this. house. Oh. My. I LOVE it. THIS is so me!!!! Alison? You are truly a lucky woman!!
.-= Susie Q´s last blog ..Simply Sweet =-.

habeeba March 4, 2010 at 9:03 am

very well decorated ,cosy and looks very comfortable

Jay Chua March 11, 2010 at 9:36 am

Lovely, both the layout of the house & courtyard.
Would be a good weekend breakaway to stay in such a cozy little palace :)

Jay Chua
Publisher, PorchSwingSets.com
.-= Jay Chua´s last blog ..Atlantic Outdoor Iron Patio Double Glider =-.

Allyson April 22, 2010 at 8:40 am

Oh wow, this is gorgeous!! If I am ever up in Queensland…bugger the theme parks and nightlife…im off to the cottage with a good book!
.-= Allyson´s last blog ..Apairaday Store at Madeit =-.

alison December 7, 2010 at 5:52 am

Hi, Alison from Figtree Cottage here. If any one would like to see some more recent photo’s of the cottage and the gardens please feel free to email me. I would be happy to share my photo’s with you. alisonjpryce@hotmail.com
take care Alison (Figtree Cottage owner.) x