Inside the Real “Home Alone” House

The Real Home Alone movie house Winnetka IllinoisThe Home Alone house was one of the first movie posts I wrote, and it continues to be one of the most popular ones in my Movie Monday series. Since then I have learned a lot more about the house and found some photos of the real interiors as they look today. What better way to kick off a month of Christmas-movie posts?

Home Alone movie house entry hall staircase

Let’s take a look at the entry first. The above photo is how it looked in Home Alone 2. Below is a snapshot I took in the original movie. Notice the changes they made, like how there are fewer family photos on the wall going up the stairs?

Home Alone house entry and staircase

Julio Macat, the Director of Photography, said Home Alone was his favorite of all the movies he’s photographed.

Home Alone movie house front hall

Here’s how the living room with the piano looked in the movie:

Home Alone movie house piano

Here’s a photo of the same rooms taken in the actual house:

View in real house into piano room

The family gathered in this room in Home Alone 2:

The Home Alone movie house family

Many thanks to Eric, who generously allowed me to share his photos of the real home with you. He writes:

These are rare photographs of the gorgeous Winnetka, Illinois, house that was used in the movie Home Alone. The pictures of the inside of the house were taken by me sometime in 2004. I have to thank the wonderful owners of the house, for being kind enough to invite me in to their private home and allow me to snap a few quick shots.

Home Alone movie house looking into dining room

Director Christopher Columbus says he was striving to make a film that looked timeless. “We intended the film to feel like Christmas, so we filled the house with greens and reds. I wanted the house to feel like a warm place.”

Home Alone movie house Christmas fireplace and stockings

A photo Eric took of the real room in the house in 2004:

real fireplace

Macaulay Culkin points out in the DVD commentary that in real life he would have crashed into the wall if he really attempted to sled down the stairs and out the front door.

sledding down the stairs

A photo taken in the real house looking down the stairs:

looking down the stairs-real

Home Alone movie house in the snow

They actually used potato flakes to simulate the snow. It looks so pretty you’d never know the difference, would you?

back of house exterior

In this shot you can see the backyard with the tire swing and tree house:

tree house in backyardMacaulay Culkin says the homeowners were excited about having the film shot there. They would greet the crew with coffee and hot chocolate.

Home Alone movie house kitchen

The kitchen, like the rest of the house, was decorated in shades of red and green.

Home Alone movie house green tile counter kitchen

kitchen 2

The attic:

attic 1

Did you notice we see almost every room of the house except Kevin’s?

Buzz's bedroom

Buzz’s bedroom–before all the shelves come crashing down:

Buzz's bedroom shelves

Kevin in his parents’ bedroom:

Kevin in his parents' bedroom Home Alone

This shot of the parents’ bathroom is from a deleted scene:

parents' bath-deleted scenes

The parents’ bath as seen in the movie:

parents' bath 2

The upstairs hallway:

Kevin's house in Home Alone upstairs hallway

Despite the resemblance between the actual rooms and the ones in the films, few of the interior scenes were shot inside the real house. Director Christopher Columbus talks in the DVD commentary about recreating the interiors on a sound stage in a high school gymnasium, and a source tells me that they used the nearby New Trier High School, which was vacant at the time.

In these production shots taken during filming you can see that they’re just sets (not real rooms in a house):

filming Home Alone 1

Ceilings appear to be 8 ft high in the actual house but are taller in the movie.  The foyer is reportedly wider in the movie, too.

filming Home Alone 2

The Home Alone house sits on Lincoln Avenue in Winnetka, Illinois. Here are some stats that Eric tracked down about it:

• 5 beds
  • 3.5 bath
  • 4,243 sqft
  • Lot 23,278 square feet
  • Built in 1920

The house was recently assessed at $1,810,500. Eric also shared these floor plans that he worked out himself.

First-floor floor plan:

Home Alone house floor plan-first floor 2

Second floor:

Home Alone house floor plan-upstairs

Kevin drew his own floor plan when formulating his “Battle Plan.” Macaulay Culkin says that he remembers being given some Crayons to color some of it in and make it look “authentic.”

Kevin's floorplans

You can see my original post about the house here with more photos, including how it looks today.

Home Alone movie house Christmas lights

* UPDATE: It went on the market after I wrote this post and you can see many more interior photos and read more information about the real house in Winnetka, Illinois, here. *

Visit my Houses Onscreen page to see more, including…

A Christmas Story movie houseThe House Used in A Christmas Story

Christmas movie quiz #1
#1: They sing! They dance! They trash your house! (Answer) #2: Panic in Paris. (Answer) #3: Life Swap. (Answer) #4: The old man gets a…
Alvin and the Chipmunks movie sets
When a reader asked me to do a post about Alvin and the Chipmunks, I thought she was joking. I hadn't seen the movie, but…

I watched this movie over the weekend and remembered you previous Home Alone house post, so I was surprised to see another post today. Love your blog.
    .-= Emily B´s last blog goals =-.

WOW, what fun! I have always loved the “Home Alone” house…thanks for the really informative trip through it (and the sets they used for the interior scenes). I think the set design was stunning. What does it say about me that I absolutely love red and green, and the Christmas decorations make me innately happy…yet I’m Jewish? LOL!!
    .-= Cynthia S´s last blog ..Finally we’re HAPPY to see water! =-.

Thanks for posting these pics! My Aunt and Uncle actually lived a couple streets behind this house and I’m pretty sure walking around Winnetka at Thanksgiving is what started my love affair with houses. Thanks for the walk down memory lane :)
    .-= Stephanie´s last blog ..The Christmas Card That Wasn’t =-.

Wonderful. Many thanks.

I have a suggestion for another movie house I’d love to learn more about: the house from Beetlejuice.

Ask and ye shall receive! Thanks! I am definitely going to head up north and check it out one of these days, probably after the first snow so it looks all festive and cozy!

I just watched 1 & 2 this past week with my family on Thanksgiving. I’m so glad you shared the house, because it’s one of my favorites. Strangely I love the movie interior better even with all the wallpaper.

Have you done the Christmas Vacation house yet?

.-= rue´s last blog ..My mom’s Thanksgiving tablescape =-.

7. Maureen says

I grew up just about 4 blocks from there. My parents still live not too far and my sister is now moving into a house that was built on the property that my parents house was located. I am still not too far from there but more than the 4 blocks from where I grew up. It is a beautiful house as are a lot of the houses in Winnetka.

8. Nathan says

This will always be one of my favourite movie houses. And I absolutely love the look of the house with NO wallpaper, haha. And is it just the lighting, or are the floors darker in the entrance area of home? Comparing the two pictures, the floors in the movie are a lot nicer.

First of all, I LOVE your new look!!! :) I’ve been out of town and didn’t have a chance to catch up while we were away. It looks fab!

I must have missed this post the first time around. I feel like such a dunce for not noticing the underlying red and green theme in the house…guess why that’s why I always thought it felt so homey. It came out when I was a kid, and I remember just loving the house. The staircase/foyer is awesome. :)
    .-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Tennessee Playhouse Cottage =-.

10. Nita Hiltner says

I love this movie and the house. I read that they paid the people something like $100K to use the house, and then they came in and did all the wallpaper we see in the movie because the owners didn’t have wallpaper. Then after the movie, they came in again and took it all down. Maybe they put it up again for the next movie?

I loved seeing the real interior shots, Julia… what a difference from how they decorated the set!! In fact, for such a beautiful house (exterior), it was interesting to see plain white walls. Too bad, really!!

Fun post! Brought back memories of my son (now 22) doing the Kevin scream – hands on his cheeks and hollering at the top of his lungs!

Victoria @ DesignTies
    .-= Victoria @ DesignTies´s last blog ..Visions of Sugar-Plums… (or “The Best Way to Avoid Your Homework”) =-.

12. Karen says

I’ve always loved that movie house! I don’t think that guy looks like Elvis though, not at all.

13. Kim says

This is one of my all time favorite movie houses. Thanks for posting this! I can’t believe how similar the actual home is to the the sets. I would love to live in a house like that.

These are the best Home Alone movies ever made. The other Home Alone movies aren’t that great.

14. Norma says

Hi Julia, I just love this home,and all the rooms inside. I was just wondering if there is a house plan out there somewhere on this house, so far I haven’t seen one that is close to it yet. I’ve looked at soo many plans now, they’re all staring to look alike to me. I think I need a break from looking at the plans.

My favorite Christmas movie ever, and yes, it has lots to do with the house!! LOVE this movie! I can’t imagine how it ever got two thumbs down. I think it should come back to the theater! I never saw it on the big screen!

~angela @ peonypatch

ps – I want this house!
    .-= Angela´s last blog ..Anniversary =-.

16. Kristen says

It’s so funny that you put this up! I had read your post about suggesting some holiday movie homes, and this one came to mind! So fun. Love your site, keep up the great work!

Julia-I am late getting here, but would never miss a Monday! I missed this the first time around and so enjoyed it. This house is just a classic . I remember loving the master bedroom and the kitchen when I saw the movie the first time. As for the Elvis sighting…doesn’t look a thing like him…saw him in Mempis today :)
    .-= susan´s last blog ..Christmas Under Glass…A Holiday Cloche Party =-.

18. Russell Piner says

Thank you, thank you, than you!!!

At last, a plan of the house!

I absolutely love the film and this house. Home Alone comes out every Christmas to get me in the festive spirit and for the last three years I’ve ended up pouring over bits of paper trying to draw out the house plan. I could never quite work out the upstairs but my downstairs attempts seem pretty close.

Merry Christmas!

19. Cynthia says

I love your page. I am looking for gold angel candles just like the ones on the dining room table.
    Would anyone know where I can find them? Thank you. Happy holidays.

• RJ says

I would like to know where to purchase those candles as well, I have admired them for a long time.

20. Colin says

I’ve always admired that house. Home Alone is my all time favorite movie. I’m fairly sure that house was used in Planes Trains and Automobiles as well. It was Steve Martin’s house. They showed the foyer in the final scene & it was totally different from the Home Alone decor.

21. Audrey says

Thank you, I was looking for this house plan since a long time. I loved the film and i’d like to build this house for my sims.
    Sorry if my english isn’t perfect, i’m french.
    Happy holidays

I followed a link over from Nester and I am LOVING this post. Home Alone was one of my favorite movies growing up.
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..Goodbye Aughts =-.

23. Stephanie says

This is my favorite movie of all time – because of the house. :) And I have to say, I think the interiors today are just the teensiest bit vanilla compared to the vibrant wallpapers and upholstery used in the film. I realize the film interiors would be considered dated today, but I think some of the papers on the wall are truly timeless. In fact, if I could snap my fingers and make it my own, I’d take the house decorated exactly like it was in the movie! 😉

24. dr.nikhil says

hello julia,
    i am a very big fan of home alone house.its so cosy n loving. i congratulate u on ur effort to draw up a floor plan for the house.i seen the movie many many times.i realise two rooms are not shown in the film the sun room in the 1st floor and anothe room in second floor.but how to get to this room in second floor.uve shown a door from buzzes room to tht place.but from the scene where buzz intros tht wierd guy in 1st movie,there is only dorr to closet in buzz room.also in the plan uve drawn there are no atteched baths exept in masterbed,but in second movie when kevin goes to get his tie,it shows a room with attached bath,ive tried many time to lacalize this n failed.can u pls help me.i know ur busy,i wud appreciate it tremendously if u mail me.thank you

• Johnathan says

The bathroom is off Jeff and Kevin’s room (bedroom with the bunk beds). The bathroom also has a door to the hallway. The walls match in the first movie where we see Jeff and Kevin standing near the sink and then in the second movie Kevin walks through his room to get his tie and Uncle Frank is in the shower.

I assume when you get up the main staircase the bathroom door is straight ahead. If you turn left Kevin and Jeff’s room is on the right side of the hall. On the left side of the hall is the door to the back stairway and then the laundry chute and the parents bedroom is straight ahead.

We never get to see Megan and Lenny’s room which is to the right before you get to the attic stairway door. I would assume the room we never get to see upstairs is the 5th bedroom in the real house which possibly might have a bath in it like the parents room does. The real house has 3.5 baths according to this site.

25. Eric says

dr nikhil…that is my attempted floor plan. Your absolutely right about all your points. The french doors in the dining room, I assume, lead to the “sunroom” however it is never shown in the movie. Also, there are many discrepancies with the upstairs and this is where it becomes obvious that it is only a set (which is true, read above^). The third floor staircase blocks any hall access to the “mystery room” on the far upper end of the house. I placed doorways leading to it from buzz’s room and the back bedroom assuming its a play room of some sort? What it really is is a mystery since the interiors dont perfectly correlate with the exteriors. And yes, I dont understand where the bathroom from the sequel comes in. Its definitely buzz’s room if I remember correctly but in the first movie the hall bath is directly accross from the staircase in the center.

This is one of my families favorite movies. Thank you for sharing the interior photos. I have always wondered what the interior looked like for the actual homeowners.

When my boys were little, as a last resort sometimes I would take them in the car to get them to fall asleep. I would drive through the neighborhoods of Winnetka. It was perfect, they would fall asleep and I could wonder down the brick roads, looking at all the beautiful homes. Not only were the houses amazing, the yards were beautiful also. I always came home with so many ideas.
    .-= Susie´s last blog ..Preppy Finds =-.

That’s a fabulous house, I wonder how much it costs *grins*. I really wish they kept the original cast and stuff throughout all of the movies. I don’t like the rest after number 2! Definitely classics though. Thanks for the great photos and info.

28. Alisandra says

love this house!! wonder if it’s available for private weddings……

• hookedonhouses says

Not that I know of, since it’s a private home. I bet they could get a lot of business if they opened it up for events, though! -Julia

29. ella says

i love that house.the interior decorating is awesome . i wish i could decorate like that.

I watch this movie when I was around 12 years old, back in Brazil. I dreamed of moving to North America since I was a kid and this house made me want to move here even more. This is an american house at it’s best. It feels like a house for everyone of the family and even after all of these years it’s simply delightful!

I love reading your posts about “movie houses”, Julia. Thank you!

Luciane at

31. lindajb says

Loved the movie, but how crazy is the person that thinks the extra looks like Elvis?!

32. Nita says

Did you do the house in Funny Farm? I thought I’d seen it here. But the house is cute, and it really is a Christmas story because of the scenes at Christmas that finishes the movie.

33. Stacie says

One day i WILL buy this home, not one “like it”, THIS ONE….God is capable of helping me do such 😉

34. Amanda says

I watched this movie with my family in Germany in a small one screen theater on the military base. I would have been about 11 at the time. The line to get in went around the block and it was packed inside. It has to be the most fun I have ever had watching a movie. The audience got so involved; booing and hissing at the bad guys and clapping and celebrating when Kevin got the upper hand. I remember wishing for a home like that during the holidays. It was so perfect.

• hookedonhouses says

What a great memory to have! I love that story–thanks for sharing it with us!

35. Johnathan says

I always thought we never saw Kevin’s bedroom either, until I watched the movie again yesterday and realized there is a shot of Kevin and Jeff in a bedroom at the beginning with bunk beds. I’m asssuming maybe Jeff and Kevin shared a bedroom maybe? I can’t believe I’d never noticed this before as many times as I’ve watched this movie.

Great site and pictures. I always liked the house in this movie.

36. Johnathan says

This evening watching Home Alone 2, I noticed that when Kevin goes into the bathroom to get his tie while Uncle Frank is in the shower, he walks through what I think is his room (and Jeff’s) because you can see Kevin walk by the bunk beds. Apparently their bedroom has a door to the bathroom as well as access from the hallway which would make sense according to the house layout of the upstairs.

37. stavross and matty says

we liked the house,we was wondering what its worth,so we googled and found the site,exelent,all the best i hioe the house lives long so maybe we;d get anough moneyone day to buy it ourselfs,laterz people.THE DEREHAM BOYS AND GIRLS.;;;

38. kathy wesley says

What is the name and brand of wallpaper used in the hallway. Do you know if it is still sold? I have loved that wallpaper ever since I first saw the movie years ago.

39. Nicola says

I absolutely love the ‘Home Alone’ house!!!

The houses from ‘The Pacifier’ and ‘Rumor Has It’ are also fantastic houses. Please can you add these to your list. Thanks

This property was perfect for growing family and how I love to have this kind of property someday. I love the staircase, for me it was stunning and how I wish that Christmas is on my way. I love it. Thank you.

Charles A

Almost all of whatever you point out is astonishingly precise and it makes me wonder the reason why I had not looked at this with this light before. Your piece truly did turn the light on for me personally as far as this issue goes. Nonetheless at this time there is actually one factor I am not too comfortable with so whilst I make an effort to reconcile that with the actual core idea of your point, let me see just what all the rest of the visitors have to say.Well done.