“Stuart Little:” A Small House with a Big Personality

"Stuart Little" movie house set design | hookedonhouses.net

The first Stuart Little movie, which was based on the classic book by E.B. White, came out in 1999, and I loved how colorful and creative the Little family’s house was. It’s a New York City brownstone near Central Park, wedged tightly between much larger buildings on either side.

"Stuart Little" movie house set design | hookedonhouses.net

Mr. and Mrs. Little go to an orphanage to adopt a brother for their only son George, but end up adopting a mouse named Stuart (voiced by Michael J. Fox) instead.

"Stuart Little" movie house set design | hookedonhouses.net

Hugh Laurie and Geena Davis played Stuart’s parents Frederick and Eleanor Little. Stuart looks up at his new parents, and the entry hall of his new home:

"Stuart Little" movie house set design | hookedonhouses.net

When George (Jonathan Lipnicki) learns that his new brother is a rodent, he opens the hidden door in the wall and runs down to the basement (can’t blame the kid):

"Stuart Little" movie house set design | hookedonhouses.net

Stuart’s bedroom in the first movie:

"Stuart Little" movie house set design | hookedonhouses.net

In the sequel, Stuart and George share a room with a unique bunkbed solution:

"Stuart Little" movie house set design | hookedonhouses.net

The top bunk has been designed as a room for Stuart within the big room:

"Stuart Little" movie house set design | hookedonhouses.net

Stuart has his own little sink and mirror in the bathroom:

"Stuart Little" movie house screenshots

"Stuart Little" movie house screenshots

The kitchen was barely shown in the first movie, but the sequel had several scenes in it:

"Stuart Little" movie house screenshots

"Stuart Little" movie house screenshots

"Stuart Little" movie house screenshots

"Stuart Little" movie house screenshots

P.S. Visit Houses Onscreen to see more, including…

Paddington movie house

Comments

1. Lara Jane says

I took about a billion screencaps of this house, particularly the kitchen & boys’ room. It’s just so charming and so very Little.

2. Sarah says

I absolutely adore this house! I remember watching this in fifth grade and gushing over the house, dreaming of one day when I could own a house like it. I recently bought the movie because I love looking at the house so much! I’m so glad it was featured!

I have watched this movie several times with my kids, yes I said several. haha But I never paid too much attention to the house. Shame on me!
    .-= Carmen´s last blog ..Sunflower Love =-.

Although this is a set, it is interesting to think about how homes must be in NYC – there are so many rooms that are windowless. In Atlanta, where the detached house is the norm, a windowless room is not very common, and usually occurs only in a basement. I noticed this in the Kip’s Bay showhouse too – there are just so many rooms that you can put in the front and the back.
    .-= Things That Inspire´s last blog ..A Bungalow Transformation =-.

Oh my goodness!! I LOVED the Little house in this movie!! Did you notice in the living room the paintings on each side of the fireplace are a mirror image of each other! So stinkin’ cute! Thanks for the trivia about M. Night Shyamalan! He’s one of my favorite movie-makers!

~ Pam
    .-= Pam @ This Humble House´s last blog ..Thrifty Monday & Transformed Tuesday! =-.

6. Pam says

I have been waiting for this one! I absolutely love this house. I am especially fond of the entry and kitchen. When I watch this movie I barely pay attention to what’s happening because I am so distracted by the sets. Thanks for featuring this one. Hugs, Pam

When my daughter was young, I enjoyed decorating her dollhouse much more than she did–I am fascinated by the miniature room! I love the harlequin pattern over the stove in the kitchen. I did not see the movie and know Hugh Laurie only as the cynical but brilliant House–nice to see his other side!
    .-= susan´s last blog ..Tablescape Thursday and Foodie Friday =-.

So cute and just how I would expect it to look from the exterior. I forgot there was a sequel and only saw the first one. I’ll have to try and catch the second one, but I’ll probably be too busy looking at the interior shots that I won’t get the actual plot!

Hello Julia,

Thanks for picking an all time kid friendly movie. We love Stuart here at our house. I have seen and read this story over and over for years. Starting when I was a child reading one of the first editions of EB White’s book.
    I have decided to jump on your wagon and feature a Stuart Little project my daughter did a couple of years ago. She loves that little mouse!
    Thanks for taking the time to share Stuart’s home with everyone.
    Pop over to see her project when you can!
    Suzy
    .-= Suzy´s last blog ..Ode to Stuart Little =-.

10. greenie says

What a hoot! Love this movie. But, no pics of the Little’s nasty little cat Snowbell? He about stole the show. :-) Thanks for the post.

What a fun post!! I totally remember Geena Davis and Michael J. Fox in Stuart Little, but I had no idea that Hugh Laurie was the dad!!

So this is a real little house squeezed between the big boys and not CGI?? So cool!! It’s got so much character and loads of interesting details. If that kitchen was in any other house, I’d think ICK — but it’s perfect in the Stuart Little house :-)

Thanks for checking out my post about Fabric on Demand — isn’t it a great idea?? :-)

Kelly
    .-= DesignTies´s last blog ..Transforming your fabric vision to reality =-.

12. hookedonhouses says

Kelly–
    Oh, no, I don’t think any of the house is “real.” I’m assuming the exterior is some sort of special effect. -Julia

I love that you do this with the houses from movies! I always see movies and would like to recreate and get ideas but never know where to look . This is great! Have you ever done the house sin father of the bride 2?? I have been looking for pictures of that nursery and can’t find much!

14. Mara says

Does it really exists? I’m so amazed with the Little’s house and want to know if it’s real. If so, could you give me the address?

• hookedonhouses says