“Stuart Little:” A Small House with a Big Personality

by hookedonhouses on August 23, 2009

Welcome to Movie Monday, when I feature the houses from our favorite films. The first Stuart Little movie, which was based on the classic book by E.B. White, came out in 1999, and it may have been marketed to kids, but the sets were a treat for their parents, too. When I watched it with my children, I was wowed by how colorful and creative the Little family’s house was. It’s a New York City brownstone near Central Park, wedged tightly between much larger buildings on either side.

stuart-little-house-exterior3

Mr. and Mrs. Little go to an orphanage to adopt a brother for their only son George, but end up adopting a mouse named Stuart (Michael J. Fox)–who wears clothes and talks like a human–instead. Here they are bringing him home for the first time:

The dad, Fredrick Little, was played by Hugh Laurie, before he starred in the series “House.” Geena Davis played Stuart’s mom Eleanor. Stuart looks up at his new parents, and the entry hall of his new home:

When George (Jonathan Lipnicki) learns that his new brother is a rodent, he opens the hidden door in the wall and runs down to the basement (can’t blame the kid):

Looking down the hall into the kitchen:

Stuart looks down into the entry where his new extended family has gathered to meet him:

The living room:

Two mice show up to reclaim Stuart, who they say is their son:

The director of the orphanage, played by Julia Sweeney, arrives and tells them that the mice who reclaimed Stuart were imposters:

The stone fireplace in the living room:

Dining room:

Upstairs hallway. Love that child-sized grandfather clock:

Stuart’s bedroom in the first movie:

The attention to detail is amazing, like the little stars above the door:

In the sequel, Stuart and George share a room with a unique bunkbed solution:

stuarts-new-room-bunkbed

The top bunk has been designed as a room for Stuart within the big room:

stuarts-new-room-top-bunk1

stuarts-new-room-top-bunk2

stuarts-new-room-top-bunk3

The big round window in their room:

stuarts-new-room-window

The kids’ bath:

Stuart has his own little sink and mirror:

The kitchen was barely shown in the first movie, but the sequel had several scenes in it:

kitchen11

kitchen21

kitchen3

Did you know that the screenplay for the first Stuart Little movie was written by M. Night Shyamalan? That’s right–the guy who wrote The Sixth Sense.

kitchen4

Another new set for the sequel was the family’s rooftop terrace:

rooftop

To see Michael J. Fox’s house in the Hamptons, click here, or visit my Celebrity Houses page for links to more.

Visit my TV/Movie Houses for links to all the others I’ve written about, from Alvin and the Chipmunks to Bewitched.

Hudson Goods August 23, 2009 at 4:45 pm

I am partial to New York, but I LOVE this house, the best! Thanks.
.-= Hudson Goods´s last blog ..Pack Your Bags! =-.

Lara Jane August 23, 2009 at 5:02 pm

I took about a billion screencaps of this house, particularly the kitchen & boys’ room. It’s just so charming and so very Little.

Pat August 23, 2009 at 5:57 pm

Wonderful post, Julia!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..~Autumn Anticipation~ =-.

Sarah August 23, 2009 at 6:13 pm

Looks like they held out, and resisted the big developers! :)
.-= Sarah´s last blog ..Our House Renovation:: In the very beginning… =-.

Emily@remodelingthislife August 23, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Love this movie, love this house. Another fabulous feature! That kitchen is so fantastic
.-= Emily@remodelingthislife´s last blog ..Embracing This Imperfect Home =-.

Sarah August 23, 2009 at 7:03 pm

I absolutely adore this house! I remember watching this in fifth grade and gushing over the house, dreaming of one day when I could own a house like it. I recently bought the movie because I love looking at the house so much! I’m so glad it was featured!

Nita August 23, 2009 at 7:19 pm

I love the rooftop terrace and the wonderful 40s kitchen!

Carmen August 23, 2009 at 8:42 pm

I have watched this movie several times with my kids, yes I said several. haha But I never paid too much attention to the house. Shame on me!
.-= Carmen´s last blog ..Sunflower Love =-.

Things That Inspire August 23, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Although this is a set, it is interesting to think about how homes must be in NYC – there are so many rooms that are windowless. In Atlanta, where the detached house is the norm, a windowless room is not very common, and usually occurs only in a basement. I noticed this in the Kip’s Bay showhouse too – there are just so many rooms that you can put in the front and the back.
.-= Things That Inspire´s last blog ..A Bungalow Transformation =-.

Linda@Lime in the Coconut August 23, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Ahhh. This was my FAVORITE story as a little kid. (hee. little)
Charming and perfect little home.

Leave it to Julia!!
.-= Linda@Lime in the Coconut´s last blog ..Ambrosia of the tropical Gods….. =-.

Pam @ This Humble House August 23, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Oh my goodness!! I LOVED the Little house in this movie!! Did you notice in the living room the paintings on each side of the fireplace are a mirror image of each other! So stinkin’ cute! Thanks for the trivia about M. Night Shyamalan! He’s one of my favorite movie-makers!

~ Pam
.-= Pam @ This Humble House´s last blog ..Thrifty Monday & Transformed Tuesday! =-.

Tracy August 23, 2009 at 11:20 pm

How fun!! I haven’t seen these movies… and I do love a colorful cartoon house… so I’ll desfinitely add them to my “movie house must see” list. Thanks Julia!
.-= Tracy´s last blog ..Comfort and Luxury Bedroom Style =-.

Josephine Tale Peddler August 24, 2009 at 2:22 am

Living in a very small house myself I love to see what’s possible! Charming and oozing with cuteness and savvy. Thanks for this post! xx

bungalowbliss August 24, 2009 at 6:58 am

What a darling house–and Stuart’s pad in the sequel is just adorable. I love the attention to detail in this set!
.-= bungalowbliss´s last blog ..Late-Summer Diversions =-.

stephanie August 24, 2009 at 7:21 am

i am in love! I cant believe it is squished in there like that!
.-= stephanie´s last blog ..Wedding Canvas Art – Unique ways to use your vows or lyrics =-.

Pam August 24, 2009 at 7:55 am

I have been waiting for this one! I absolutely love this house. I am especially fond of the entry and kitchen. When I watch this movie I barely pay attention to what’s happening because I am so distracted by the sets. Thanks for featuring this one. Hugs, Pam

Slowish Food August 24, 2009 at 8:28 am

Cute! I can’t wait to show my kids. They love this movie, and I love watching it with them because of that great house tucked in the middle of NY. :)
.-= Slowish Food´s last blog ..Dreaming of Marshmallows =-.

MissCaron August 24, 2009 at 9:14 am

Great post! Thanks for sharing! Love that hidden door to the basement! :)
.-= MissCaron´s last blog ..Rainy Days and Mondays =-.

Stephanie@Geezees August 24, 2009 at 10:18 am

my kids also LOVED this movie!!
.-= Stephanie@Geezees´s last blog ..Geezees Celebrates 1 year with a Canvas Giveaway ! =-.

susan August 24, 2009 at 11:04 am

When my daughter was young, I enjoyed decorating her dollhouse much more than she did–I am fascinated by the miniature room! I love the harlequin pattern over the stove in the kitchen. I did not see the movie and know Hugh Laurie only as the cynical but brilliant House–nice to see his other side!
.-= susan´s last blog ..Tablescape Thursday and Foodie Friday =-.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions August 24, 2009 at 12:51 pm

So cute and just how I would expect it to look from the exterior. I forgot there was a sequel and only saw the first one. I’ll have to try and catch the second one, but I’ll probably be too busy looking at the interior shots that I won’t get the actual plot!

Suzy August 24, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Hello Julia,

Thanks for picking an all time kid friendly movie. We love Stuart here at our house. I have seen and read this story over and over for years. Starting when I was a child reading one of the first editions of EB White’s book.
I have decided to jump on your wagon and feature a Stuart Little project my daughter did a couple of years ago. She loves that little mouse!
Thanks for taking the time to share Stuart’s home with everyone.
Pop over to see her project when you can!
Suzy
.-= Suzy´s last blog ..Ode to Stuart Little =-.

greenie August 24, 2009 at 7:34 pm

What a hoot! Love this movie. But, no pics of the Little’s nasty little cat Snowbell? He about stole the show. :-) Thanks for the post.

DesignTies August 24, 2009 at 8:16 pm

What a fun post!! I totally remember Geena Davis and Michael J. Fox in Stuart Little, but I had no idea that Hugh Laurie was the dad!!

So this is a real little house squeezed between the big boys and not CGI?? So cool!! It’s got so much character and loads of interesting details. If that kitchen was in any other house, I’d think ICK — but it’s perfect in the Stuart Little house :-)

Thanks for checking out my post about Fabric on Demand — isn’t it a great idea?? :-)

Kelly
.-= DesignTies´s last blog ..Transforming your fabric vision to reality =-.

hookedonhouses August 24, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Kelly–
Oh, no, I don’t think any of the house is “real.” I’m assuming the exterior is some sort of special effect. -Julia

Amanda @ Serenity Now August 24, 2009 at 10:38 pm

I loved Stuart Little the book as a child. I’ve never seen the movie, but I bet my oldest would like it a lot. Stuart’s little “room” is so cute. It must have been fun to design for that movie. I like the kitchen a lot too!
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Look Out, Hans Christian Anderson =-.

Jen @ After The Alter August 25, 2009 at 1:00 pm

I love that you do this with the houses from movies! I always see movies and would like to recreate and get ideas but never know where to look . This is great! Have you ever done the house sin father of the bride 2?? I have been looking for pictures of that nursery and can’t find much!

hookedonhouses August 25, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Jen–
Yep, I did a post about Father of the Bride 2 and the nursery in it. You can see it here:

-Julia :-)

Mara January 12, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Does it really exists? I’m so amazed with the Little’s house and want to know if it’s real. If so, could you give me the address?

hookedonhouses January 12, 2010 at 2:38 pm