The Old Stone Farmhouse in “Marley & Me”

The stone house where "Marley and Me" was filmed in Pennsylvania

Yesterday I featured the charming starter home that John and Jenny Grogan (played by Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston) lived in. Today we’re looking at the beautiful old Pennsylvania farmhouse that they moved into later in the film.

The old stone farmhouse where "Marley and Me" movie was filmed in Pennsylvania

Someone close to the production contacted me when the movie came out and shared some photos they took behind the scenes. They asked to remain anonymous, but I have to say thank you for these. I love seeing how the movie magic is made!

behind the scenes of "Marley & Me"

When it’s the middle of summer and you need a winter scene, you make it snow!

creating winter on the set of "Marley and Me" movie

You can see a piece of the (fake) snowman leaning against the tree:

filming behind the scenes of "Marley and Me" movie

Here’s how it looked onscreen, with Owen Wilson and the kids:

Owen Wilson in "Marley & Me" movie

Behind the scenes that day it looked a lot warmer:

creating fake winter on the set of "Marley and Me" movie

Here are some behind-the-scenes photos taken inside the house during production, too:

Behind the Scenes dining room in Marley and Me movie

real dining room from "Marley and Me" movie

I read that this farmhouse impressed the real John and Jenny Grogan so much that the couple purchased a similar home for themselves. John and his new puppy were hanging out on the set:

behind the scenes-john grogan's new puppy

Back to the movie–Owen Wilson (as John Grogan) coming in the front door after work:

The stone house in the movie "Marley & Me"

This room is beautiful. I love the details, like the line of books on the windowsill in the background:

Jennifer Aniston in "Marley and Me" movie

Jennifer Aniston in a cozy windowseat:

stone farmhouse window seat Marley and Me movie

The 1837 stone farmhouse in Chester County, Pennsylvania, sits on 16 acres.

The house was in such bad shape when the current owners moved in that there were bats nesting upstairs, floorboards were falling into the basement, and all of the plumbing and wiring had to be replaced.

Here are a couple of photos taken of the kitchen during filming with all of the equipment and “work mess” in view:

behind the scenes on the set of "Marley and Me" in the farmhouse kitchen

The kitchen is new, created from what was a mudroom, but they designed it to look original to the house with hefty ceiling beams and wide plank floorboards.

filming "Marley and Me" in Pennsylvania farmhouse

Here’s a photo of Jennifer Aniston standing in the kitchen in the film:

Jennifer Aniston in the movie "Marley and Me" farmhouse kitchen

The film’s producers wanted the Grogans’ Pennsylvania home to reflect the family’s maturity and growth: “It needed to have a warm, solid, and inviting feel.”

stone farmhouse from "Marley and Me"

One more behind-the-scenes shot, of the cast and crew in front of the house (you can see Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston in the second row):

behind-the-scenes-cast-and-crew

This is such a great house, and it’s fun to get a peek inside. Thanks to Anon for taking these production photos and sharing them with us! :-)

Julia-simple-teal-signature2

*UPDATE: The farmhouse is for sale!*

Marley and Me farmhouse for sale

Marley & Me movie poster Owen Wilson Jen Aniston
Since Marley & Me came out last year, I've been getting requests for photos of both the charming starter home that John and Jenny Grogan…
Pollyanna Disney movie Hayley Mills Victorian house
When I was in grade school, we watched the Disney movie Pollyanna on a giant screen in the gymnasium. I loved the house so much…

Comments

Hi Julia :)

I can’t bring myself to watch the movie, so thank you for sharing the homes here. I love this one, but I think the starter home is my favorite. I’m so odd LOL

rue
    .-= rue´s last blog ..A weekend of lemonade and laughs =-.

2. Beth says

OH! I love it! Now, there’s competion for which is my favorite house, this one or Iris’s house in The Holiday. Decisions, decisions.

This is such a lovely home, I’m glad you decided to feature it, since I will probably never get around to watching this movie. Windowseats are so cozy. Thanks for the amazing pictures.
    .-= Erin´s last blog ..Pairing wine and spicy foods =-.

Very, very cool. How neat for you to have “connections” like that. The house is fantastic.
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Stuff… =-.

Ok, you are really making me want to see this movie although I am sure I will be traumatiz!! I love this house! It’s making me ready for Fall. Oh no was that out loud? No…still loving summer. Just loving this house! Great post!
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..Maillot -Oh No =-.

Love the house and the Colonial furnishings even though they are out of favor lately. Which is good for me because I’ve picked up some great buys on Windsor chairs, samplers, etc. at estate sales!
    .-= Jane´s last blog ..FORAGING =-.

Hi Julia,
    Another blogger recommended your site to me and I am so very glad she did! What a treat! How is it possible that I am just now finding you?! I know I shall return here often and shall add you to my blog roll posthaste!! All the best!,
    Pamela
    .-= Pamela´s last blog .. =-.

Hi Julia
    Wonderful to see all the “behind the movie” scenes!
    I’ve visited Chester, PA and there are many similar beautiful old stone homes in that area. Call me old fashioned, but I’m still a fan of colonial furnishings and accessories. They are so warm and homey.

Hugs, Pat
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..July Daring Bakers ~ Milan Cookies =-.

This is one of my favorite movie houses. Love the stone and the old house character!
    .-= Britt´s last blog .. =-.

The ‘snow’ pics are crazy! It always amazes me how real the movie crew makes it appear!

How I love this house. There’s something about these old stone houses that just pulls me in. Thanks for the tour (wonderful, as always) and all the inside information, too!

I loved this home. This movie came out when we had to put our “Marley” who was named Kenai to sleep. This home and the state Marley was in at the time spoke to my heart and what we had just gone through. The stone on the outside and the warmth of the inside is fabulous!

Love, Love, Love this house! Thanks so much for the post….I actually thought it was a house in Western MA . But, I could really see Chester, PA.
    .-= Suzy´s last blog ..Vanilla Bean Ice Cream =-.

What a great house for the Fall and Winter, but the starter house is definitely for the Spring and Summer!
    We went to see The Proposal this evening. Can hardly wait for you to feature the Paxton’s Sitka, AK house. Hope you can get some pic’s of the kitchen.

Thnak you so much for the peek inside this house! Sometimes, when an awesome house like this is on screen, I totally miss a big chunck of film! Oh, so what! Thats what dvd’s are for!
    ~Nancy
    .-= Nancy´s last blog ..Works For Me- Blueberry Sauce =-.

Watched this movie yesterday because I was dying to see it all – I love both houses – I can see a great deal of positives in them both. Of course, the movie made me sob like a baby. Yes, I’m pathetic and sappy.

Thanks for sharing these pictures! I loved that house!! All of the movie home posts are great because in the movie, you may not be able to take in all of the details like you can when you pour over a still photo. Thanks!
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Beach trip =-.

Oh wow. Reminds me of some of the old homes in Central Virginia. Very beautiful! Thanks for sharing! :)
    .-= MissCaron´s last blog ..Movits! =-.

I haven’t seen the movie – but I plan to one day. On dvd. What an absolutely gorgeous house! I don’t think I would have taken on a project like that – bravo to them!
    .-= christy´s last blog ..Truth? Or a big fat lie? =-.

I live near this house, but even if I did not…no way could a columnist for the Philadelphia Inquirer have afforded such a place. That was one flaw in the movie.

Chester County PA is semi-rural, wealthy, rolling hills, horses, etc. The house as shown above is located near Unionville, PA which was called, I think, Chester Springs in the movie.

CHESTER PA is a slum and is on the outskirts of Philadelphia.
    .-= JoAnn´s last blog ..The Joy of Charlie =-.

20. Nita says

I think this house may be on a road in Chester County that I made my Philly hubby drive me down all the time. For miles and miles are old early 18th century homes on acreage, and not one thing has changed on that road since the early 1700s. It is beautiful.

21. hookedonhouses says

JoAnn–you’re so right. It’s hard to imagine a newspaper columnist being able to afford this house–at least not until he wrote a bestselling book and sold the movie rights. :-)

Jaime–I can’t, either. I mentally take pictures of rooms in TV shows and movies all the time now. Can’t tell you how many times I have to rewind scenes because I wasn’t paying attention to the actors and have no idea what happened! -Julia :-)

22. Kasey says

Thank you soooo much for posting information on this house! I am in LOVE with it!

23. Maria Vulovic says

The house is just to beautiful. I have always been in love with these type of homes.
    Then to see this one, Wow.. Nothing can compare too these old homes.
    The new homes and decor is so cold, and uninviting. There is no classic value to their decorating, and purchases. Too bad..

24. Mary says

I noticed that the charming curtains on the window seat were the same ones from the Florida starter house, as if the family packed them along and hung them again. Nice attention to detail on the part of the set designers!

This house is truly a dream house – thanks for posting!

25. Jodi from New Jersey says

I am totally in love with this farmhouse. The movie was cute, I always enjoy a good cry.Both me and my 12 year old daughter went looking for our shih tzu Ginger to hug up after watching it , sniffling with tears. I love movie magic. I look at that house and think every dream could come true in there . Movies are my escape from life’s “difficulties”. Thanks for sharing the joy and magic, Julia! Enjoy yourLabor Day Weekend…………………………… Jodi

Thank you for this great post… I watched the movie this weekend and found myself distracted by the house and not following the story.

I linked to this today on my blog… I hope that’s okay.
    Maureen

27. Judy from Bethlehem PA says

You have THE BEST BLOG AROUND! Your knowledge and love of homes is so wonderful! Your connections are great too! wink…wink!

• kds says

the address of the house is Meetinghouse Road and Route 100 (corner) West Chester, Pa. My in laws live next door. Hope this helps. The house looks exactly the same as it does in the movie, and as it always has.

28. Debbi says

I live right out side of the Unionville Chadds Ford area.
    Can you let me know where the farm house is?

29. hookedonhouses says

Mitch and Debbi–
    Sorry, but I don’t know the address of the house. -Julia

30. Tom Seely says

This was my Great Uncles house I remember visiting upon his death. The item missing was the huge swimming pool the was spring fed. It was wonderful to see his place again!

OMG, this house has been haunting me. LOVE IT, as in L.O.V.E. IT. This is my dream house I hope one day to build. This is THE inspiration. I’m so happy I’ve found this website!
    Saved by google.

This home is beautiful, and one of my favorites. I love to watch films where the house is as much a character as any actor. I love you for creating this site. Thank you.

Do you have any pages like this on either Uncle Monty’s house (Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events) or the Owens home (Practical Magic)? These are two of my three favorite movie homes (my third being Erica’s Hampton house in Something’s Gotta Give). Sometimes I will watch the films just for the houses.

If i ever have the opportunity to build my own home from scratch I would somehow incorporate themes from each one. Somehow.

Hey Julia once again,
    Guess what, I just got back from the movies where I watched “It’s Complicated” with Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin. Loved the movie!! And even more I LOVED the house in it. I’m a cook, just like Meryl Streep’s character in the movie, so obviously I payed a lot of attention to that kitchen. It’s my DREAM KITCHEN. I was wondering if you have access to the stills from the set. It will go on my vision board, or something. I will manifest it this way or another. Would love to see that house again, and up close. Please, let me know where to look …!
    Best,
    Agi
    .-= Agi´s last blog ..RA-TA-TA-TA-WHAT? =-.

34. Drew says

I found the house on google earth. the GPS co-ordinates are

39°53’46.51″N 75°36’47.20″W

35. Gina says

I just bought a farm house that is similair and I really love the black horse above the stove in the kitchen… anyone know if its handmade or if I can buy it somewhere? Thanks! – Gina

36. Norma says

I’ve always loved looking at houses when I watch films…and when I watched this one in particular I loved the house and made it one of my top dream house picks. 😀 I am so happy to have found that you share the same kind of passion 😀

I’ve been looking for the pictures of the house forever! :)

37. Dru says

This house has a for sale sign up as of today 4/9/11 – just drove by it. Don’t see it in the listings yet though.

I guess I need to watch this movie to see the gorgeous homes. I have not watched it because I know it’s sad…so I’ve avoided it. Maybe one of these days I’ll do it.

39. Debra says

do you have any pictures of the house in the movie PARADISE starring Melonie Griffith and Don Johnson. I love the simple life she lived as a homemaker . If you do please email me .

Thanks so much

deb

40. Colleen King says

I am hooked and yes I agree with Juju’s blog, it is my new “happy place” too. I have been addicted to houses all of my life, starting with doll houses. I have been hunting photos of the houses in several old movies. Rebecca, My cousin Rachael, Practical Magic, and my favorite “Elephant Walk”. In my searches I have only found small prints from All Posters.com and movie posters that don’t show rooms or house fronts. I found this site by accident and love it! Thank YOU. old lassie

41. Colleen King says

I have avoided this movie too as I have a dog I dread loosing. But do I ever love this house. old lassie