Joan Rivers Lightens Up: A Dark Hallway Gets a Makeover

by hookedonhouses on July 25, 2009

Joan Rivers has put her Connecticut house on the market for $6.5 million. Architectural Digest profiled it, showing the remodel that Rivers spearheaded with a series of pretty impressive before and after photos. I was really struck by the difference in the dark and narrow hallway that leads to the library. Here it is before:

And after the remodel:

Not only were windows added, but on the other wall they painted a series of trompe l’oeil windows depicting the residences of family and friends. Between each painted window is a long antique mirror to bring even more light into the space. And the door at the end of the hall was removed and replaced by an open arched doorway.

To see the rest of the before and after photos, check out the article in Architectural Digest. For more information, the real estate listing is here.

Visit my Celebrity Houses page for links to all the others I’ve featured, from Sally Field to Richard Gere.

Amanda @ Serenity Now July 25, 2009 at 9:40 pm

I like Joan’s version much better!!! (Although I couldn’t help but wonder how many face lifts she’s had when I saw her photo) ;)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..The Chick Flick Club? =-.

Heathahlee July 25, 2009 at 10:03 pm

It doesn’t even look like the same hallway! Beautiful! I wish I had windows that I could open up to in my hallway. It’s dark, too.
.-= Heathahlee´s last blog ..Shalupies =-.

Chris July 25, 2009 at 11:13 pm

That is a wonderful transformation! I’m not usually a fan of trompe l’oeil , but I’d have to admit this example is perfect for the space.

I agree with Amanda. Joan has overdone the surgery, or botox, or both! Is that the human version of trompe l’oeil ??? *Ü*
.-= Chris´s last blog ..Filoli – House Tour =-.

Why S? July 25, 2009 at 11:40 pm

It’s a 900% improvement, but a little much for me. Actually, the whole house is a little much for me but it’s just a difference in taste. Except for the master bath. It’s weird.
Isn’t the placement of those chairs in the hallway odd?
.-= Why S?´s last blog ..Before and After ’09 – Supporting Habitat for Humanity =-.

Pam Kersting July 26, 2009 at 8:21 am

WoW! Now that is a great change. Who was the designer/architect she worked with?
.-= Pam Kersting´s last blog ..Objects in the Landscape =-.

LindaSonia July 26, 2009 at 8:22 am

Holy moly – that is soooommme remodel, certainly a bit more than just paint and flooring. A bit over the top for me, but not surprised it’s done by Joan Rivers. I agree those chairs seem weird in the hallway unless it’s sooo long you need to rest going from one room to the next. LOL

rue July 26, 2009 at 9:23 am

Hi Julia :)

She did a wonderful job! The house looks nothing like the original pictures. It’s a bit over the top, but still beautiful :)

rue
.-= rue´s last blog ..The birthday dinner =-.

beth July 26, 2009 at 9:26 am

Holy cow! Is that the same place? What an amazing transformation. It may not be my style, but you can’t deny that it is a huge improvement!
.-= beth´s last blog ..Casualties =-.

Ivy Lane July 26, 2009 at 10:02 am

Pretty amazing transformation!!! On both Joan’s face and that hallway!
.-= Ivy Lane´s last blog ..Affordable PINK Art for Pink Saturday! =-.

SoBella Creations July 26, 2009 at 11:06 am

Wow I love the transformation!
.-= SoBella Creations´s last blog ..Big Announcement Time =-.

Linda@Lime in the Coconut July 26, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Now…Joan isn’t my cup of tea…but what a great hallway transformation! Stunning difference!
.-= Linda@Lime in the Coconut´s last blog ..…And don’t call me Shirley… =-.

Rebecca July 26, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Wow! Goes to show you what you can do with a little ingenuity and a LOT of money! lol….

Marie Cole July 26, 2009 at 2:01 pm

It’s an amazing transformation but soo amazing I am in shock that its the same hall.

Dagny @ Beautiful Living July 26, 2009 at 2:02 pm

Wow, that is such an amazing transformation! Completely changed the feel of the hall and the room!
.-= Dagny @ Beautiful Living´s last blog ..Nydelig speil… / Gorgeous sunburst! =-.

Brenda Kula July 26, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Spectacular transformation!
Brenda
.-= Brenda Kula´s last blog ..Enchanted Makeovers: Helping Others Find A Dream =-.

Robin July 26, 2009 at 2:55 pm

It’s like a completely different house! You have to wonder why, if there was a wall facing outside to begin with, there were no windows on the original….
.-= Robin´s last blog ..Croc-a-doodle-doo =-.

Jane @ Beach House July 26, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Love the trompe l’oeil windows and the green chairs in the hallway
.-= Jane @ Beach House´s last blog ..Beach Cat =-.

Suzann July 26, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Amazing transformation! WOW.
.-= Suzann´s last blog ..Book & Movie Reviews… =-.

Susan July 26, 2009 at 6:33 pm

What an improvement! Makes you wonder why the original architect didn’t put in windows there. It looked so institutional in that first pic…like something out of an office building. Great transformation! I’ll have to check out your othere celebrity homes. :-) Susan
.-= Susan´s last blog ..Welcome to the 28th Metamorphosis Monday! =-.

Pat July 26, 2009 at 6:46 pm

I love this transformation! Great post, Julia!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..~Just a Little Trim Please~ =-.

Kathy :) July 26, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Love that hallway WOW huh can’t believe it’s the same space ??? I am headed to check out the rest……I have to say I get a HUGE kick out of Joan….I saw her on stage one time with a few friends I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants….

Kathy :)

Marsha July 26, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Oh this is just adorable. How clever to paint the windows on the wall!!
.-= Marsha´s last blog ..Cutting through the Clutter =-.

Ro July 26, 2009 at 7:12 pm

That makeover is absolutely stunning. What a huge difference that made.
.-= Ro´s last blog ..He Did It—The National Anthem =-.

Things That Inspire July 26, 2009 at 7:24 pm

I am off to check out the real estate listing! This is a dramatic change.
.-= Things That Inspire´s last blog ..You Speak, I Listen =-.

Roeshel July 26, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Wow – it doesn’t even look like the same hallway. Gorgeous!
::off to read more:: Thanks for the tour!
.-= Roeshel´s last blog ..Back of the House gets a BIG Transformation! =-.

greenie July 26, 2009 at 7:52 pm

Checked the listing and though it’s not really my style, it’s a beautiful property. And 75 acres? Wowza! I love Joan Rivers and can’t wait for “How’d You Get So Rich?” on TVLand starting this week. She cracks me up! :-)

Tina @ Enchanted Rose Studio July 26, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Great post! Such an incredible and creative transformation! I need to see that listing!

Tina
.-= Tina @ Enchanted Rose Studio´s last blog ..METAMORPHOSIS MONDAY ~ MY FIRST =-.

Terry Kearns July 26, 2009 at 10:49 pm

An awful hall into one a great room. It’s not just a hall any more.
.-= Terry Kearns´s last blog ..Before / After =-.

Claudia@DipityRoad July 26, 2009 at 11:59 pm

I have always gotten such a kick out of Joan. She is fun and abrasive and the world is a better place because of her twisted humor!

Talk about a metamorphosis!! Ohhh and her hall way too ;)

TTFN~~Claudia ♥
.-= Claudia@DipityRoad´s last blog ..New Toy – Metamorphosis Monday =-.

Lynn Guinn July 27, 2009 at 12:42 am

OK, now.
Why do you suppose she put those chairs in the hallway?
Is it so long that one might get winded and need to rest before finishing the trek?
I love celebs!
.-= Lynn Guinn´s last blog ..Before =-.

Barbara July 27, 2009 at 4:01 pm

That is gorgeous!

~ ~Ahrisha~ ~ July 27, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Stunning! Thanks for the heads up about the stars homes. These great ideas always get my juices flowing.~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Caroline July 27, 2009 at 9:20 pm

What a transformation! the painted windows add almost as much light to the room as the actual windows.
.-= Caroline´s last blog ..Breakfast Nook for Less =-.

Robyn July 28, 2009 at 9:30 am

Cute makeover! Did you notice the little dogs painted below the first window? ~ Robyn
.-= Robyn´s last blog ..It’s Monday! =-.

Christina August 26, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Is there any way at all that you can get photographs of Barbra Streisands home? I think it’s beautiful from what I’ve seen of it. It was an Aerial shot. Definitely large and in Malibu, but I would love to see the remainder of it. Does anyone have access to this at all. She’s too private. Her grounds are stunning. She has the most gorgeous gardens. Please see!! Would love it. Thanks!!

hookedonhouses August 26, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I would love to see more of her house, too! From the little I’ve seen in interviews and from the aerial view, it’s gorgeous. If anyone ever comes across photos of it, let me know! -Julia

{ 1 trackback }