On the Market: The House from “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”

by hookedonhouses on May 31, 2009

Ferris Bueller's house in the movie

Last week I had a lot of readers searching my site for “The house from Ferris Bueller.” I assumed it was the one Ferris lived in, but it turns out that his friend Cameron Frye’s contemporary glass house has hit the market. I thought it would be fun to take a look back at the two houses in the classic 1986 comedy, and then I’ll show you what Cameron’s house looks like today!

Ferris Bueller’s House

Ferris Bueller's Day Off white house

Ferris Bueller’s house was supposedly in a Chicago suburb. The exterior was actually in Long Beach, California.  It was also featured in the thriller Red Dragon and the comedy Not Another Teen Movie.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off white house porch

Ferris (Matthew Broderick) in his bedroom, pretending to be too sick to go to school:

Ferris Bueller's bedroom

Sometimes I forget how much wallpaper we lived with in the ’80s. Then I see sets like this stairwell and it brings it all back!

Ferris Bueller's wallpapered staircase

The kitchen is classic 1986. Check out those fluorescent lighted ceiling tiles and the gold fridge.

Ferris Bueller's 1980s kitchen

Beware of the dog…

Ferris Bueller's 1980s kitchen-dog

Cameron and Ferris in the yellow kitchen

Jeanie’s Room:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off Jeanie's bedroom 2

Ferris Bueller's Day Off Jeanie's bedroom

Cameron Frye’s Mid-Century Modern House:

Cameron Frye's mid-century modern house Ferris

We only get one interior shot of Cameron’s cool house: his darkened bedroom:

Cameron’s garage, which is detached from the house:

Cameron’s father’s famous red Ferrari 250 GT Spyder:

Cameron Frye was played by Alan Ruck, who now has a role as Dean Bowman on the TV show “Greek.” I’ve been watching Season One on DVD and it’s really fun. In one episode, Dean Bowman pulled up in a red convertible similar to this one, then turned to his date and called her Sloane. Loved that little inside joke!

Here’s the car, crashing through the window of the garage, and plunging into the ravine. Oops. (I always feel like poor Cameron got the short end of the stick in the movie. Not such a great day for him!)

Here are the photos from the the listing for Cameron’s house, which is on the market today for $2.3 million. Unlike the house used for the Bueller family, Cameron’s really is in Illinois (Highland Park):

The house has 4 bedrooms, 4 baths, and 5,300 square feet. Known as the Ben Rose Home, the two-building structure was constructed mostly of steel and glass. It was designed by architects A. James Speyer and David Haid in 1953 and sits atop a wooded ravine.

The three-car detached garage:

P.S. Visit my Houses Onscreen page to see more, including…

Big Chill movie house

songbirdtiff May 31, 2009 at 4:44 pm

This house reminds me of the Cullen’s house in Twilight!

songbirdtiff’s last blog post..Dave Ramsey’s Town Hall for Hope

Arleen @ Seasons for All at Home May 31, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Hi Julia. Thanks for choosing this great film for Movie Monday. Every time I was Ferris, I want to take full advantage of every day. As for my taste in homes, I prefer traditional over contemporary; it’s great to see such contrast in a single movie and interesting that the contemporary home is on the market. Thanks again, and have a great week! ~Arleen

Arleen @ Seasons for All at Home’s last blog post..Survey Results ~ Decorate a Room in Blue and White!

Carrie May 31, 2009 at 7:34 pm

This is one of my favourite movies, but I must say I do not care for Cameron’s house at all. Seems really sterile and not homey at all. I sure wouldn’t pay $2 million for it.

Carrie’s last blog post..They ARE Listening!

Home Renovations May 31, 2009 at 8:09 pm

I’de go for this house in a heart beat, too bad its way out of my price range. Thanks for sharing though, great find!

Astrid May 31, 2009 at 8:15 pm

I’m fascinated by Cameron’s house. It did seem super cold & sterile in the movie but I love how completely unique it is! I have to go look at the MLS listing for more photos of it.

Astrid’s last blog post..milk snakes & my flower garden

desiree May 31, 2009 at 8:21 pm

Loved that movie. When it came out I remember standing in line forever. I never had the nerve to do what Ferris, Cameron and Sloane but I loved living thru them! I’d love to see the Fry house in person.

desiree’s last blog post..Hooked On Outdoor Fireplaces!

maya | springtree road May 31, 2009 at 10:34 pm

one of my all-time favorite movies! thanks for the peek. :)

maya | springtree road’s last blog post..Like a record, baby

Why S? May 31, 2009 at 11:05 pm

What a stunning property. I have a fantasy of myself as the kind of person who is tidy enough and organized enough to live in a home like that. Never mind wealthy enough!

Why S?’s last blog post..When Trees Grow in Bad Places – Part II

Terry Kearns May 31, 2009 at 11:11 pm

All I remember about the movie (other than the parking attendants joy riding the Ferrari) is Cameron’s garage. But a 42X35 family room? That could be good.

Terry Kearns’s last blog post..Videos: Drawing the Classical: The Mouldings and the Baluster

Claudia@DipityRoad June 1, 2009 at 12:32 am

*sigh*… what a great memory shaker!!

LOL @ Why S– about having a fantasy about being that tidy… Oh my goodness, i dont even know if i would WANT to be. ;)

Thanks for the great smiles!

TTFN~~Claudia

Claudia@DipityRoad’s last blog post..Cottage Details

Heidi June 1, 2009 at 12:47 am

I love traditional homes, but it is interesting to look at the contemporary ones.

I have to comment on the pictures of Jean’s room though, because I had the exact same bedding. It’s Laura Ashley Castleberry. I loved it. Actually, I have to say, for a young girl I still rather love it. But the wallpaper in the stairwell is hideous.

Billy June 1, 2009 at 12:56 am

Thanks for the link, I was way to lazy to find it myself.

If Shauna buys it, will she have to give up throwing stones?

I came up with a bunch of silly trivia questions but though better of posting them and co-opting the comment string.

Pat June 1, 2009 at 7:12 am

Thanks for posting this Julia. I heard about the sale of the glass house, last week, but haven’t had time to find out more.

Pat’s last blog post..~Thrifty Treasures~

Deborah Milne June 1, 2009 at 10:15 am

The Ben Rose house is the house of my dreams! Thanks Julia for the photos, quite fun to see this Monday morning.

Deborah Milne’s last blog post..Free Yourself

Heather June 1, 2009 at 11:01 am

It would be like living in a tree house!

Heather’s last blog post..Funky Fabric

Fifi Flowers June 1, 2009 at 11:35 am

What a FUN movie that was! Two FAB houses… I’m sure the decor has changed a bit in Ferris’ home… less wallpaper maybe!

Fifi Flowers’s last blog post..Champagne Monday…

DesignTies June 1, 2009 at 3:25 pm

This is such a fun post!! I love Cameron’s house — it’s almost live you’re living right in the trees, with all those glass windows.

Actually, I don’t think it was such bad day for Cameron — even though Ferris had to force him to do everything, he did it and had fun. Up until the car scene!! But even then, he decided he wasn’t going to be intimidated by his dad anymore, so it was really a life-changing day for him :-)

I’m sort of like Cameron, but I’m trying to be more like Ferris!!

Kelly @ DesignTies

DesignTies’s last blog post..From 1939 Sad to 2009 FAB ~ My Kitchen!

Sue June 1, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Love Ferris Bueller…LOVE the Bueller home. When that film came out, that is exactly how I wanted us to live someday! : )
Thank you for sharing these house gems with us…I always enjoy your movie sets!

I watched Alvin and the Chipmunks this weekend (withmy nephew) and LOVED Dave’s house! Sounds silly but I did! Love the setting and the architectural touches…many like that in LA. That would be a great one to do and not one people nesessaruly watch for decor tips! But I am ALWAYS looking at the decor! *laugh* Even with talking chipmunks around.

j June 1, 2009 at 3:41 pm

It looks like, in the 2nd picture of the kitchen, that there are glass spice jars in a small shelf under the island countertop. How cool is that???

ROB May 2, 2011 at 1:21 pm

You’d have to get on you knees to read the labels. How uncomfortable is that???

guylaine rondeau June 1, 2009 at 3:46 pm

wow… first of all, if you owned a terrain like this one, this is one beautiful demonstration of “thinking outside the box” for building a house – no pun intended.

and like the first lady said, it is very much like that in the movie “twilight” – a very spectacular way of living in nature, or bringing nature into your living.

my only negative comment about the cameron house, is that it’s very dated (to me it is). i think it would need some natural elements into the fabric of the interior, like stone or wood, to warm it up a little and bring it forward to this time period! i was just reading another blog last week which highlighted a similar type of house – very much in nature, and which shows what i mean! (i’ll give you the link in case you are curious! http://tinyurl.com/l4t8ht – it is a bit slow loading)

btw… cool blog julia! i very much enjoy it!

Jennifer June 1, 2009 at 4:10 pm

I love love love Ferris’s house. Perhaps its because me and Jean both shared the same Laura Ashley bedroom ensemble back in the 80′s, including the wallpaper? HAHAHA

Jennifer’s last blog post..

Eric June 1, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Wow! That would be great, I’m not sure my wife would want me to start acting like a teenager again. Which I would if I owned either of the homes.

Amanda @ Serenity Now June 1, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Ferris’ kitchen must have been top of the line back then too. Funny! I really really love that Ferrari, and I am not even a car person. It’s just sexy! I love it when you show us movie houses!! :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now’s last blog post..Salvation Army Saves the Day!

Kim @ Everything Etsy June 1, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Thanks for showing the house…it’s so neat! Not my style, but I still love it! That was one of the best movies ever!!!

~Kim

Kim @ Everything Etsy’s last blog post..Make Your Own Photo Jewelry! {Giveaway}

Holly June 1, 2009 at 10:40 pm

I’m a little perplexed that there are gold appliances in the kitchen. In 1986? I always equate harvest gold with the 70s…am I wrong? I’m assuming that in a movie things would be “up to date”.
I’m also freaked out that this movie is 23 years old. That means I’m old.

Holly’s last blog post..Goodwill Party

Kristi @ El Rancho Dominguez June 1, 2009 at 10:50 pm

First, I wanted to say how unbelievably flattered I am that you stopped by my blog!! I have been “lurking” on yours for months and adore everything you put on here!
Second….FAVE movie, hands down. How cool is all this that you’ve posted about? Thanks for sharing!!

Kristi @ El Rancho Dominguez’s last blog post..Amen to Summer!

FROM THE RIGHT BANK June 3, 2009 at 11:06 am

I want Cameron’s house! And I also want to go watch the movie again.

Pam June 3, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I am digging the spice storage on the island in the Bueller kitchen! ;)

Tracey June 4, 2009 at 11:51 pm

What a fabulous post! I just loved this movie – we really are showing our age now! Tracey xx

Tracey’s last blog post..Winter Friendly Outdoors!

Lawrence December 1, 2009 at 2:54 am

Julia,
Thanks for posting both Ferris’ and Cameron’s houses. I always wondered if the Ben Rose house was designed Mies van der Rohe and now I know. Whenever I think of Chicago, I think of this great movie.

Colleen January 16, 2011 at 8:56 am

I heard about the listing on the radio yesterday. I assumed the DJ was talking about the Beuller house but since you mentioned the updated listing for 1/11, I guess it was Cam’s house she was talking about. Anyway, she said the house was going for 1.6 million and continued, “Who has that kind of money? Anyone? Anyone?” Made my day!

I love the Ben Rose house but, as a new homeowner buying heating oil for the first time, I can’t help but wonder how well those glass walls are insulated!

{ 4 trackbacks }