“Baby Boom:” City House, Country House

I have a weakness for romantic comedies from the ’80s, and Baby Boom with Diane Keaton is one of my favorites. She plays J.C. Wiatt, who is so driven and ambitious at work that she has never really made time for a personal life. Then a distant relative dies and she’s appointed as her guardian.

J.C. lives in a sleek, gray, contemporary apartment in New York City that reflects who she is as a high-powered businesswoman:

She soon realizes that a house filled with leather, glass, and chrome, isn’t exactly baby friendly:

When J.C. can no longer keep up with her high-powered business career, she quits her job and takes Elizabeth to live in the small town of Hadleyville, Vermont:

J.C. has bought this charming yellow farmhouse from the classified ads, sight unseen:

J.C. spends the long winter inside the farmhouse making applesauce from all the apples she gathered in her orchard. She later begins selling it as “Country Baby” baby food, and it’s a big hit with yuppie parents:

There are some problems with the roof that become apparent during a snowstorm:

One of my favorite scenes is when J.C. is told that her well has gone dry. She says, “Well, can you just pull the hose around from the front of the house and fill it up again?”

Diane Keaton in Baby Boom movie

The plumber explains that no, she’ll have to tap into the county water line, which is several miles down the road, and that’s going to be kind of expensive. J.C. has a meltdown–the house has had one problem after another and she’s broke.

Things look up for her when she falls for the local vet (played by Sam Shepard).

Baby Boom was written by Nancy Meyers, who is behind more good house-movies than you can shake a stick at, including The Parent Trap, Father of the Bride, and Something’s Gotta Give.

I think the sets have held up pretty well considering they were designed in 1987. All these years later, I still love that yellow house. :-)

P.S. Visit Houses Onscreen to see more, including…

Funny Farm movie Andy Farmer's Cape in Vermont

Welcome to Hooked on Fridays, a blog party I host at the end of each week to celebrate the things that make us happy. This…
Something's Gotta Give Hamptons house
When a friend took me to see Something's Gotta Give on the big screen, I knew it was a Diane Keaton-Jack Nicholson romantic comedy. What…

I cannot believe you posted about this movie. I love “Baby Boom” – I thought I was the only one! And yes, the setting and the house are like additional characters in the movie. I grew up not far from where this movie was filmed and everytime I watch it, I get homesick. I love the way J.C. adapts to life in Vermont. The scene where she is in the country store trying to sell her babyfood to the “city people” is spot on perfect! Having grown up there, we call them “flatlanders…” ha ha! Thanks so much for posting this.

2. Donna says

Oh my gosh! I have seen this movie so many times – never get tired of it. I think I want to BE Diane Keaton and the country house is to die for ( crummy roof and dry well are simply part of …..vintage charm!?)

Loved that film, and I think it played a big part in wanting to visit Vermont – we did (before kids) in 1994, and stayed in some beautiful bed and breakfasts that were similar to this.

I SO enjoy your posts and Movie Mondays! I always loved this movie – can anyone throw a hissy fit better than Diane Keaton? I think not! She’s hilarious and the sets were so beautiful!

I love that yellow house! Of course, yellow houses are a particular weakness of mine. I loved the yellow house I had in Portland (which looks a bit like the Baby Boom house) so much I wrote a book about it. Thanks for reminding me of another adorable yellow house.

I remember loving this house when I saw this movie the first time. It has such a romantic feel–until the well problems of course! The beach cottage is great too. Ilove the combination of colors and that it did notlose its original charm!!

susan’s last blog post..Hound Dogs and Strawberry Pie

7. Catherine says

Thanks for share!!! Mondays are the best, this movie I always see it for the sets-
    Has anybody see the house at the begining of “Disclosure”, the movie with Demi Moore and Michael Douglas.
    Can you post it, Julia?

8. hookedonhouses says

I haven’t seen “Disclosure” yet, but I’ll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion! -Julia :-)

I love this movie! It’s one of my favorites. Great movie pick for this series. I love her country home, the little village she lives in and all that designer baby food! Love!

Camila’s last blog post..Shop till I drop…

10. Norma says

I loved watching this movie, I think it’s time to see it again. Thanks for posting it Julia.

I love that movie, great post! Just out of curiosity, have you ever done a post about the house from You, Me and Dupree? The movie is a goofy one but whenever it comes on, I can just sit and watch for a while to get a glimpse of the adorable house.

Michelle’s last blog post..Another room to cross off the list…

12. Karen says

One of my all time favorites . . I have watched this movie so many times – never tire of it. Diane Keaton – don’t know what it is about her – maybe her style? But I love most of her movies. And Vermont – what’s not to love about Vermont:)

Also check Diane out in: Crimes of the Heart (neat old house), The Lemon Sisters and Running Mates (with the delicious Ed Harris!)

As always, thanks for the extra effort on the pictures Janet:))

13. TraceyB says

Every time I watch this movie I end up searching the mls in Vermont.

14. shannon says

i saw this movie as a young girl and swore that i would live in vermont in a yellow house. hasn’t happened yet.

15. Karen says

I called Julia, JANET (again!) – what’s up with that?? My sincere apologies:)

This is one of my favorite movies! I usually like anything Diane Keaton is in. I remember seeing this movie and wanting to live in the country, in this house – minus all the things that went wrong with it!

Ms.Tee’s last blog post..Cottage Driftwood Starfish

17. Gerry says

I have Baby Boom on VHS and DVD. I know every word from the first scene on by heart.
    I love the house too.

Also,just some more movie house suggestions… You, Me and Dupree; What Lies Beneath; Australia; The Godfather Part 1; Fatal Attraction; Funny Farm.

18. greenie says

Have seen this movie countless times-LOVE IT. The scout who found this property was spot on for a Vermont farm house. I really like the interior shots of the kitchen (but was that on a soundstage?)

19. K Caye says

I was in this film and its not to be missed. Diane is priceless, as a woman, and mother.

20. Nita Hiltner says

I love this movie. The baby looks exactly like my oldest girl, who will turn 40 this year. Awwwwwww……… I love the house too!

21. Dawn says

I love the movie! It’s one of my favorites! And it still gets to me every time I see it.

And I am a huge fan of that country house too. I could live in there happily-ever-after (minus the huge expenses).

You’re right … it still holds up today.

22. amanda says

I’m so glad you did this one. I’ve always loved the country kitchen with its big fireplace. How do you get these screenshots? My computer won’t let me take screen shots of dvds.

I am watching Baby Boom now (found it on cable, I too have seen it over 100 times).
    I moved to Vermont in ’98 and seeing this film was a major reason for my moving there. We now live in Chapel Hill and we still own our home in VT. It will always hold a very, very special place in my heart and and hope to return one day in retirement to split time between NC and VT.

…will always consider VT home :)