“Baby Boom:” City House, Country House

by hookedonhouses on April 26, 2009

Ihave a weakness for romantic comedies from the ’80s, and Baby Boom with Diane Keaton is one I’ve watched a hundred times. It was written by Nancy Meyers, who is behind more good house-movies than you can shake a stick at, including The Parent Trap, Father of the Bride, Something’s Gotta Give, and The Holiday. When she works on a movie, you know the scenery is going to be good!

In “Baby Boom,” Keaton plays J.C. Wiatt–aka the “Tiger Lady” who is so driven and ambitious at work that she has never really made time for a personal life. Then a distant relative dies and leaves her young daughter Elizabeth in J.C.’s not-so-maternal hands.

J.C. has never wanted to be a mother and has no plans to keep Elizabeth, but finds herself bonding with the girl despite herself. Motherhood doesn’t mesh with high-powered corporate life, however, so J.C. flees the rat-race of New York City and buys a charming old house in the small town of Hadleyville, Vermont.

In the beginning, J.C. lives in this sleek, gray, contemporary apartment in NYC that reflects who she is as a high-powered businesswoman:

Bringing baby Elizabeth home to a house filled with leather, glass, and chrome:

Learning how to change a diaper (her boyfriend, played by Harold Ramis, breaks up with her as soon as he realizes J.C. plans to keep the baby):

When J.C. can no longer keep up with her high-powered business career, she quits her job and takes Elizabeth to live in the tiny town of Hadleyville, Vermont:

J.C. has bought this charming yellow farmhouse from the classified ads, sight unseen:

J.C. spends the long winter inside the farmhouse making applesauce from all the apples she gathered in her orchard. She later begins selling it as “Country Baby” baby food, and it’s a big hit with yuppie parents:

There are some problems with the roof that become apparent during a snowstorm:

One of my favorite scenes is when J.C. is told that her well has gone dry. She says, “Well, can you just pull the hose around from the front of the house and fill it up again?”

The plumber explains that no, she’ll have to tap into the county water line, which is several miles down the road, and that’s going to be kind of expensive. J.C. has a meltdown–the house has had one problem after another and she’s broke.

She wakes up in Dr. Sexy’s Cooper’s office (Sam Shepard), and she pours her heart out to him–including how lonely she is and how she really needs a man. He lets her cry on his shoulder. Then a horse walks in and Dr. Cooper says, “My next patient is here.”

She eventually gets over her humiliation of their first meeting and they fall in love.

J.C.’s bedroom:

The living room–and final scene of the movie, which always gets me a little sniffly:

I think the sets have held up pretty well considering they were designed in 1987. All these years later, I still love that yellow house.

There was apparently a TV sitcom based on Baby Boom with the same name that lasted only one season in 1988. Does anyone remember it? According to the IMDb website, Kate Jackson played J.C. Wiatt and Joy Behar played Helga the nanny. I’d love to see that!

If You’re Hooked on Houses from Movies:

Claudia@DipityRoad April 26, 2009 at 8:42 pm

I adore Diane Keaton and because I love and adore houses too, I did a blog about my favorite charater in Something’s gotta Give. She is the best and your site is lovely.

Big hugs!
Claudia

desiree April 27, 2009 at 1:15 am

I missed this movie…netflix is my next stop. Love the yellow house and Diane Keaton! thanks!

desiree’s last blog post..Big Sur’s Nepenthe Turns 60, But a Log Cabin is Still Home

Jacey April 27, 2009 at 4:08 am

I cannot believe you posted about this movie. I love “Baby Boom” – I thought I was the only one! And yes, the setting and the house are like additional characters in the movie. I grew up not far from where this movie was filmed and everytime I watch it, I get homesick. I love the way J.C. adapts to life in Vermont. The scene where she is in the country store trying to sell her babyfood to the “city people” is spot on perfect! Having grown up there, we call them “flatlanders…” ha ha! Thanks so much for posting this.

Lazy Mom Leslie April 27, 2009 at 4:19 am

I loved that movie! I appreciate it on a totally different level now. Thanks for the reminder.

Donna April 27, 2009 at 4:41 am

Oh my gosh! I have seen this movie so many times – never get tired of it. I think I want to BE Diane Keaton and the country house is to die for ( crummy roof and dry well are simply part of …..vintage charm!?)

JanMary, N Ireland April 27, 2009 at 6:17 am

Loved that film, and I think it played a big part in wanting to visit Vermont – we did (before kids) in 1994, and stayed in some beautiful bed and breakfasts that were similar to this.

House Obsession April 27, 2009 at 6:55 am

I love that movie and the house! I’ve always remembered it too. Thanks for posting! It was a treat to see it all again.

Leslie April 27, 2009 at 7:30 am

I SO enjoy your posts and Movie Mondays! I always loved this movie – can anyone throw a hissy fit better than Diane Keaton? I think not! She’s hilarious and the sets were so beautiful!

Kathleen McCleary April 27, 2009 at 7:34 am

I love that yellow house! Of course, yellow houses are a particular weakness of mine. I loved the yellow house I had in Portland (which looks a bit like the Baby Boom house) so much I wrote a book about it. Thanks for reminding me of another adorable yellow house.

Lindsay April 27, 2009 at 8:07 am

I LOVED that movie so much! I had it on video tape and watched it all the time. I always loved the yellow house, too! Thanks so much for the trip down Memory Lane.

Lindsay’s last blog post..Five Home Decorating Lessons We Can Learn From Disney

bungalowbliss April 27, 2009 at 8:37 am

I haven’t seen this movie, but I love the Vermont house–especially the exterior and those wonderful kitchen appliances! Ah!

bungalowbliss’s last blog post..So, um…Whadya Think?

Lacy April 27, 2009 at 9:37 am

Ahhh, I love this movie!! How fun to post this! Thanks! Movie Mondays are the best. :)

Lacy’s last blog post..I love my husband

Kerry April 27, 2009 at 10:42 am

I love this movie and I would love to have that farm house.

I remember the tv series and did watch it. Here is a link that talks about it…

AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage April 27, 2009 at 10:48 am

LOVED this movie. Isn’t Sam Shepard dreamy…Ha! He’s like the first Dr. McDreamy!

AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage’s last blog post..Thrifty Decor Ideas – Shabby Nest Party!

Heather April 27, 2009 at 10:59 am

I have always loved that house. It looks so welcoming.

Heather’s last blog post..our blissful weekend

susan April 27, 2009 at 11:02 am

I remember loving this house when I saw this movie the first time. It has such a romantic feel–until the well problems of course! The beach cottage is great too. Ilove the combination of colors and that it did notlose its original charm!!

susan’s last blog post..Hound Dogs and Strawberry Pie

Kasey April 27, 2009 at 11:17 am

I love Baby Boom! I may just have to buy a copy of it today.

Kasey’s last blog post..Still Singing "Great is Thy Faithfulness" – 1 Year Later

SoBella Creations April 27, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Loved this movie!

SoBella Creations’s last blog post..Lily Haven Review & Giveaway

Catherine April 27, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Thanks for share!!! Mondays are the best, this movie I always see it for the sets-
Has anybody see the house at the begining of “Disclosure”, the movie with Demi Moore and Michael Douglas.
Can you post it, Julia?
Thanks

hookedonhouses April 27, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Catherine–
I haven’t seen “Disclosure” yet, but I’ll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion! -Julia :-)

Suzy April 27, 2009 at 1:11 pm

I love this movie. I always love the fact that she makes her own baby food and the whole marketing thing. It seemed like it was a front runner to the organic movement.
Thanks for sharing!

Suzy’s last blog post..Let me Share a Little Whoopie…….

Courtney @ nesting instincts April 27, 2009 at 1:37 pm

I can’t believe I never saw this one! I’ll have to check it out! I think the decor held up pretty well, too.

Courtney @ nesting instincts’s last blog post..let’s keep this one on the down-low, shall we?

Camila April 27, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I love this movie! It’s one of my favorites. Great movie pick for this series. I love her country home, the little village she lives in and all that designer baby food! Love!

Camila’s last blog post..Shop till I drop…

Norma April 27, 2009 at 2:40 pm

I loved watching this movie, I think it’s time to see it again. Thanks for posting it Julia.

Love Where You Live April 27, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I like the movie Baby Boom; I hate to say that I’ve seen it recently twice! And I love the kitchen in that house. Just so cozy. -susan

Pat April 27, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Sappy, Sentimental and Totally Delicious!! I’ve seen this movie countless times! I love the country house!

Pat’s last blog post..~Traditional Tropical Home~

TheVinylVillager April 27, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Gosh I havent seen that movie since it was on the New Releases wall! What a cute house…and you’re right–quite timeless!

TheVinylVillager’s last blog post..Monday Morning Mish Mash

Arleen @ Seasons for All at Home April 27, 2009 at 9:02 pm

I LOVE this movie! I watch it every time it comes on TV. And I’d pick the country house over the city house any day. And I agree with you – Diane Keaton movies involve great sets! Thanks for featuring this movie. Now I can’t wait to see it again. ~Arleen

Arleen @ Seasons for All at Home’s last blog post..Decorating a Cottage in Pink and Green

Michelle April 27, 2009 at 9:21 pm

I love that movie, great post! Just out of curiosity, have you ever done a post about the house from You, Me and Dupree? The movie is a goofy one but whenever it comes on, I can just sit and watch for a while to get a glimpse of the adorable house.
~Michelle

Michelle’s last blog post..Another room to cross off the list…

Karen April 27, 2009 at 9:51 pm

One of my all time favorites . . I have watched this movie so many times – never tire of it. Diane Keaton – don’t know what it is about her – maybe her style? But I love most of her movies. And Vermont – what’s not to love about Vermont:)

Also check Diane out in: Crimes of the Heart (neat old house), The Lemon Sisters and Running Mates (with the delicious Ed Harris!)

As always, thanks for the extra effort on the pictures Janet:))

Sarah @ Thriftydecorchick April 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm

Oooh I love this movie, it gets me every time too. It “got” me before I was a Mom, I can’t imagine how it would now. I love the scenes of her scooping up the applesauce into the jars…always seemed so cozy. :)

Sarah @ Thriftydecorchick’s last blog post..The easiest, cheapest, custom drapes EVER.

Amy @ Living Locurto April 28, 2009 at 2:57 am

I loved that movie too! Fun post:-)

Amy @ Living Locurto’s last blog post..Printable Mother’s Day Card

Nancy April 28, 2009 at 7:19 am

If only living in Vermont were so romantic! (from one who does right now.)

Nancy’s last blog post..Take a Break and Visit Jane Hall

MissCaron April 28, 2009 at 7:49 am

I loved that movie! :)

MissCaron’s last blog post..Actual conversations with students … and a little wishful thinking

TraceyB April 28, 2009 at 8:33 am

Every time I watch this movie I end up searching the mls in Vermont.

shannon April 28, 2009 at 2:20 pm

i saw this movie as a young girl and swore that i would live in vermont in a yellow house. hasn’t happened yet.

Karen April 28, 2009 at 3:07 pm

I called Julia, JANET (again!) – what’s up with that?? My sincere apologies:)

Ms.Tee May 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm

This is one of my favorite movies! I usually like anything Diane Keaton is in. I remember seeing this movie and wanting to live in the country, in this house – minus all the things that went wrong with it!

Ms.Tee’s last blog post..Cottage Driftwood Starfish

Gerry May 3, 2009 at 7:59 pm

I have Baby Boom on VHS and DVD. I know every word from the first scene on by heart.
I love the house too.

Also,just some more movie house suggestions… You, Me and Dupree; What Lies Beneath; Australia; The Godfather Part 1; Fatal Attraction; Funny Farm.

greenie May 5, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Have seen this movie countless times-LOVE IT. The scout who found this property was spot on for a Vermont farm house. I really like the interior shots of the kitchen (but was that on a soundstage?)

K Caye May 7, 2009 at 1:39 pm

I was in this film and its not to be missed. Diane is priceless, as a woman, and mother.

Kamela Cody August 28, 2009 at 8:01 pm

I love love LOVE Baby Boom! It’s so awesome you picked it to write about. This movie is so great & it’s not just because of the Carly Simon song. LOL! Great post & I love both of your blogs!
.-= Kamela Cody´s last blog ..Enjoy the Last of Summer…Fall is on the Way! =-.

Nita Hiltner October 18, 2009 at 8:30 pm

I love this movie. The baby looks exactly like my oldest girl, who will turn 40 this year. Awwwwwww……… I love the house too!

Dawn January 17, 2010 at 9:20 pm

I love the movie! It’s one of my favorites! And it still gets to me every time I see it.

And I am a huge fan of that country house too. I could live in there happily-ever-after (minus the huge expenses).

You’re right … it still holds up today.

amanda April 15, 2010 at 1:44 pm

I’m so glad you did this one. I’ve always loved the country kitchen with its big fireplace. How do you get these screenshots? My computer won’t let me take screen shots of dvds.

Deb May 9, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I am watching Baby Boom now (found it on cable, I too have seen it over 100 times).
I moved to Vermont in ’98 and seeing this film was a major reason for my moving there. We now live in Chapel Hill and we still own our home in VT. It will always hold a very, very special place in my heart and and hope to return one day in retirement to split time between NC and VT.

…will always consider VT home :)

Terrence Daniels June 10, 2010 at 7:28 pm