Porches on Parade for Fall

by hookedonhouses on October 20, 2008

Last weekend I went on an historic homes tour in Columbia Tusculum, the oldest neighborhood in Cincinnati. Columbia Tusculum was founded in 1788 on the hilly banks of the Ohio River, shortly before Losantiville (now known as Cincinnati) was settled. The oldest home still standing was built in 1804, so you can imagine how much fun it is to look at the houses there.

I’ll be posting the photos I took from the home tour soon, but today I’m joining Melissa’s Fall Drive-By blog party and focusing on the homes I walked past that were decorated for Fall.

Take a look!

Do you have a favorite porch on this parade? I can’t wait to take you inside some of these homes and show you how beautiful they are. Watch for those posts, coming soon!

Don’t forget to stop by The Inspired Room and join the blog party!

Are you hooked on old houses? Check out more houses in Columbia Tusculum, or take a tour of a charming yellow painted lady built in 1890. Click here to see more tours of historic homes featured on Hooked on Houses, including those shown during Fantasy Open House Week: Old Homes Edition.

Join the Blog Party on Friday, October 24!

The Hooked on House Tours fall blog party starts this Friday, October 24. I’ll post Mister Linky the night before so you can start linking to your posts. Feel free to use this blog button on your site or take the smaller one from the sidebar. If you do participate, your assignment is simple: post a house tour on your blog. It can be a tour of any house, anywhere. It’s up to you. The idea is that we’ll be having one giant Fantasy Open House around the blogosphere. I hope you’ll join us!

Melanie October 20, 2008 at 6:38 am

Love them all, give me a comfy chair on the front porch and I can stop and watch the world go by!

Ramona Owen October 20, 2008 at 7:25 am

Great tour Julia! I am loving that little black child’s rocker…and the white pumpkins….and that cutie~pie clothesline! But, the bump~ity, grump~ity, snarl~y old pumpkins on some of the porches are my favorite…yep, love it!

Thanks for the tour!

Smiles ~ Ramona

Kathy October 20, 2008 at 7:30 am

I loved seeing all of the front porches. Our current home has a front porch, and while it’s not historic, we love it. We hardly ever sit out back on our deck, but we’re on the front porch just about every day. Even our dog loves it.

Amy from Texas October 20, 2008 at 7:40 am

Pretty porches. I love that playhouse!

Pat October 20, 2008 at 8:01 am

Great fall porch post, Julia. I can’t wait to see interiors!

Natalie at FLHomeBlog October 20, 2008 at 8:31 am

There’s just something about an older home done up spookily for Halloween. So beautiful and yet I wouldn’t go near it at night, lol! Beatufil post.

I’ve left something for you on my blog ;-)

Jenni October 20, 2008 at 8:49 am

Hi! I just found your blog (through Carrie’s Little World) and am so happy to have visited! I love your blog, and share your love for old houses! All of the pictures you shared are amazing, and it would be hard to call just one of the porches shown a favorite, but how about three? The first one is wonderful, also the one with the topiary, as well as the one that has the white pumpkins that spell “BOO”! Thank you so much for the beautiful tour! I will be back!

Darla - Sassy Homemaker October 20, 2008 at 8:50 am

Those people are extremely creatitive. That first porch is so detailed with the perfect colors for fall.

Linda October 20, 2008 at 9:00 am

WOW! Pumpkins pumpkins in the air…pumpkins pumpkins EVERYWHERE! Those are some beautimous homes! Thank you!!

teresa October 20, 2008 at 9:12 am

wow what wonderful homes- love the colors! Thanks for sharing

Kim October 20, 2008 at 9:47 am

Now that’s not fair! The rest of us had to dodge suspicious homeowners and neighbors to get our shots. While you had permission and even got a TOUR. Cheater! LOLOL

Seriously, those homes are all gorgeous. Can’t wait to see the interiors. I really like the look of the porch with the white BOO pumpkins. And the house numbers on the steps? Oh my! What a clever idea!

K-

melissa @ the inspired room October 20, 2008 at 10:00 am

Great photos, Julia! You have some real beauties around your neighborhood!

Thanks for sharing all the lovelies!

Melissa

Ms.Tee October 20, 2008 at 10:08 am

These photos are great – such pretty homes. That last porch – beautiful!

Krista October 20, 2008 at 11:48 am

What beautiful homes!! I loved the porch with the “BOO” pumpkins and the last home the most. I also love how colorful all of these homes are, it makes them so interesting.

Angela October 20, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Very pretty houses!! I’m liking the idea of having to walk up lots of steps to my house – keeps the boogie men away and I’d loose a few .lbs!

hookedonhouses October 20, 2008 at 2:04 pm

Good point, Angela! I think I lost a few pounds myself the day of the walking tour going up and down all the stairs.

I bet they don’t get many door-to-door salesmen in that neighborhood, either. :-)

Beth October 20, 2008 at 4:00 pm

What a wonderful place to go for beautiful pictures. I felt you took us on a tour of the old historic area. I also liked the BOO Pumpkins. My granddaughters call the white ones ‘Princess’ pumpkins. Thanks for the tour!

Kellye October 20, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Most of those porches are beautiful, but I’m not terribly fond of the one in the first picture because of the multi-colors. I understand the concept of “painted ladies,” but I would have to repaint them in one color. ;)

What really killed me was the “Rotten Realty” sign. Priceless!

laura @ the shore house October 20, 2008 at 8:04 pm

Lovely! You know I’m a sucker for old homes. That Gothic Revival is a peach…The bigger the porch, the happier my heart. :-) The “re-possessed” Halloween sign…probably not so funny anymore for people, huh?!

I’m getting ready to sign-off from work now (finally!) and may try to download some pics of an AMAZING porch I saw on a house tour yesterday. The tour was also my “muse” for your fall blog party later this week. :-)

Starr October 20, 2008 at 8:16 pm

Fun, fun, fun!! I loved all the porches but the white “boo” pumpkins jumped right out at me.

hookedonhouses October 20, 2008 at 8:38 pm

Good point about the “Re-Possessed” Halloween sign, Laura! Not quite as funny as it might’ve been a few years ago… :-)

Kellye, you don’t like the multi-colored porch? That’s pretty common in that neighborhood, so prepare yourself to see many more painted ladies in posts about Columbia Tusculum to come. My daughter’s favorite house was various shades of pink and purple with some yellow and cobalt blue thrown in for good measure. LOTS of color! :-)

angela | the painted house October 20, 2008 at 9:28 pm

There are some great ideas on those beautiful porches. The BOO pumpkins are adorable.

Sue October 20, 2008 at 9:36 pm

What fun! I loved the playhouse. The little clothsline was adorable!

I just did a post about drive by front porches and had such fun looking for them. Fall just seems to bring out the decorating bug in people.

LOVE the painted ladies. I need to take a drive down and see some of these first hand!

Thank you for the wonderful tour Julia!

Love,
Sue

Maven October 20, 2008 at 9:54 pm

Wow!!!!

I LOVED this!

I got so many ideas from your pictures – you are an excellent phototgrapher – thankyou.

Jen R Sanctuary Arts October 20, 2008 at 10:45 pm

Love those porches~

Robin October 21, 2008 at 12:07 am

I love a good porch. That real estate sign is genius, and now I want a ginormous spider to hang off my little balcony.

Amy October 21, 2008 at 9:51 am

Those homes are beautiful. Love the porches too.

rue October 21, 2008 at 9:54 am

Oh my Julia…. drooooooling…… My very favorite is the last one, but I would take any of them :)

rue

Norma October 21, 2008 at 10:35 am

I loved looking at all those beautiful houses all decked out for Halloween. Thanks, Julia.

Melinda October 21, 2008 at 12:47 pm

It was quite the tour. I’m cracking up that your Lily’s favorite house is the “rainbow house” too. My Lily claimed it ages ago!

I didn’t think we’d ever get the kids out of the little purple playhouse!

Derek October 21, 2008 at 3:19 pm

that last house is Gothic Revival

hookedonhouses October 21, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Derek, you’re right. That was a typo. Thanks for noticing that so I could correct it! -Julia

Pat October 21, 2008 at 5:29 pm

Gorgeous houses! I hope to get a little time to walk around Denver and take some autumn photos there. Hugs, Pat in NY

PamperingBeki October 21, 2008 at 5:32 pm

REALLY beautiful!!

Suzann October 21, 2008 at 8:08 pm

I adore old homes. So much character and history. The details inside are like a treasure hunt for the soul. Front porches are my all-time favorite part of any home. To sit on a front porch, swinging with a tall glass of sweet tea, chatting with a friend, or just saying hello to those who walk by. The world was a friendlier, happier place when more people sat on a front porch swing. I love them all. Painted Ladies are always a treat for me and give me a turret on any and every house. Oh my heart sings with joy!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, for your kind words and for making ME feel so special as the comment of the week. I feel like a fairy princess!!! To be honored by you, at your blog is truly a blessing. Thank you.

Melissa Lewis - Off The Wall October 21, 2008 at 10:17 pm

Oh me oh my! I have been away for way too long. I didn’t even recognize where I was at first. Your blog looks fabulous, I must say! Your in the big time now, girl:)

Love the porch tours, as always!

Glad to be back and reading all my favorite blogs:)

Melissa, Off The Wall

Kim~HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs October 22, 2008 at 5:42 pm

What amazing homes…I can’t even begin to pick a favorite because they all were fantastic! I’m really looking forward to the inside tours!

Daisy Cottage October 23, 2008 at 6:10 am

Amazing fun!! LOVE them all…. thank you dear Julia for sharing these with us!
Made my morning!
xo,
Kim

Dot O October 23, 2008 at 9:27 am

Julia,

I just found my way to your blog via livinglocurto. Hope to take some house tours in a little while but I have to get back to work right now.

You are correct, blogging is a major interruption in my work day!!!

Lisa in Australia February 21, 2009 at 11:41 pm

Loved the white pumpkins that spelt out Boo!!

{ 4 trackbacks }