Before & After: A Bedroom for Boys

Here’s a fun update on a before and after I featured back in 2009. This is how Asher and Zephan’s bedroom looked after their mom Beth redecorated it 3 years ago. I thought it was adorable and loved her clever idea to create a book ledge out of rain gutters. She recently updated the room and gave it a fun new look for her growing boys, so I had to show you how it turned out!

How fabulous is that? I love the new wall color (Sherwin Williams “Rainstorm”) paired with the cheery yellow. And the “A” and “Z” display shelves she made for them were a great way to personalize their spaces.

Head over to Beth’s blog Home Stories A to Z for more photos and details about the room.

P.S. Here’s my original post that shows the room’s first makeover:

A Bedroom for Boys (and Books!)

stone cottage for sale in Connecticut
When I was interviewed by the blog CECY j, one of the questions she asked was, "How would you describe your decorating style in one…
house exterior before reno-Laurel's SoPo Cottage
When Laurel told me about the house that she's been renovating, she said, "My biggest worry was once it was finished and we put it…

Comments

1. Jocelyn M. says

Meh. To be honest, I prefer the before look! So warm and cozy looking. The new blue colour is nice, but I see those patterns and the yellow being used everywhere now and am already tired of it. But then I generally prefer “timeless” styles that won’t be outdated too quickly.

• says

Sorry you’re already tired of it Jocelyn. The boys chose yellow & blue as their color palette so we ran with it ;).

• Jocelyn M. says

Sorry Beth, I should know better than to base my judgement on one photo alone! I’ve taken a look at your original blog post and must say that there are many wonderful and creative touches in the room (I love the sailboats!!). The colours and patterns might not be *my* first choice, but I’m not a young boy. Knowing your sons had a lot of say in the look of the room makes me appreciated it more :)

2. KimberlyRose says

I’m with Jocelyn on preferring the old color, but I love those initial shelves!

3. Anne Boykin says

Both rooms are adorable! I follow Beth’s blog and she has great style throughout her home.

I kind of like them both. While the 2009 decor is more cozy-country-charm, the 2012 seems a better fit for the boys ages. The dark blue walls, and the more ‘grown-up’ looking patterns I think are better suited for boys that are growing into young men.

I really love the blue color. I was never a fan of blue paint, but recently it has started to catch my eye all over the place. Love it!

6. laura @ the shorehouse says

I love the blue and yellow together — so modern, yet classic at the same time. And the A and Z shelves are awesome. I want one (for me!).

NOTE FROM JULIA: Parnassus requested that I delete this comment. An explanation and apology from Parnassus is below. As far as I’m concerned, the apology is accepted. I really like to keep things positive around here. Thanks. :-)

• says

If you read my posts you’d see that I sat down with both boys to incorporate all of their interests into the room. And I can assure you that the shelving is quite safe.

• says

A thousand pardons to both Beth and Julia. My comment came out garbled, and seemed way too negative. I first had mentioned several things I liked about the rooms, but that part was cut off. I do like the paneling behind the beds, and the clever use of the gutter material. I also like the bay window, and the overall homey quality of both rooms. There are a lot of intellectually-stimulating elements, such as the planetarium-mobile, and I am impressed to see how they enjoy reading books.

Things hanging over the beds really do make me nervous. However, please forget the rest of what I said–I guess I was trying to formulate that thought and pressed the “send” button too soon–I hadn’t even signed it.
        –Road to Parnassus

• Sydney says

Wouldn’t a room designed by small children most likely have dinosaurs drawn on walls and beds made of marshmallows? I’m just not sure that is a realistic expectation of a child’s room. There are bright colors, planets, and toys. What else would you want??

• says

Hello Sydney, I hope that everyone goes over to Beth’s blog and sees the room in its entirety and with its many cool and attractive details.

• Chris N says

Actually, if you follow Beth’s blog, her sons asked for a blue room with space stuff in it. I don’t remember for sure, but I believe they also wanted the yellow mixed in.

8. Anne C. says

I like both as well- but I have to agree with some other posts here- I think the first room seeemd more cozy. I have to admit, although some people might think using the “country look” in a house is kind of old-lady and dated, I have always kind of loved it (as long as not overdone). I just think it is so cozy, warm and homey.

• says

It has seriously given me the itch to redo my son’s room now, Beth, and that wasn’t even on my “house project to-do list.” Ha. :-)

9. Abbey says

I think this room is darling and I love how fun and unique it is! The colors are great and I love the yellow striped bed spreads! definitely some inspiration for my son’s room for sure!

Some tough critics today. Yikes.

• says

I know. What’s up with that? I’m baffled that anyone can be negative about this room. I love it. And maybe some people don’t like dark rooms, but most little boys do. Mine begged me to paint his black when he was younger and put stars on the ceiling. This would have been his dream room! :-)

I love how she mixed the “old” beds with such modern features. I bet the boys love looking up at the planets before they go to bed at night. The blue and yellow is so fun for a boys room but my favorite part is seeing how the boys have grown over the years!
    XO
    Kristin

I love it! So many great ideas and I love the wall color. My boys always tend to like the darker wall colors for their rooms. The A and Z shelves are amazing. I have an A and Z too (Ammon and Zachary) that I might need to make those shelves for. Beth always has such fun decorating ideas.

12. stevie says

Fabulous makeover! We’re getting ready to paint my son’s room and he wants blue. Love it! I wasn’t sure, but seeing this, I think it’s perfect for him. I too love the initials!

13. Amy M. says

I think both rooms are great!! Beth, you should be proud of yourself you are very creative! Your boys are lucky to have such a talented and loving mom to redo their bedroom! Awesome! Keep up the good work!!!!

14. Angela says

Great job. I love both of the rooms but the update is GORGEOUS!!!

15. Rosemary says

I love these rooms and her style. I guess I can’t believe the criticism that is posted on not just just this post, but many in general. We all have different styles and ideas and that’s what’s great about blogs and posts, it can give all kinds of great ideas. How boring would it be if we all had the same style.

16. Chris Jeffers says

I absolutely love the new look!! From the color choices to the patterns, it looks awesome. I greatly prefer the after over the before;however, both are cute!

I love that Beth is taking into account the changing style and interests of her little family. It’s so easy to finish boys rooms and then just leave them…Change is good and I love the new look!

xoxo

I love them both! The letters are wonderful. And seriously, rain gutters? That was brilliant! I know that is going to make it’s way into my house (once we have a house)

The before was pretty great, but the after is awesome! What a fun room for her boys! I love the blue and yellow. The patterns on the rug and shades work so well together…and I love the planets, so whimsical. Perfect from A to Z :O) A great space for boys to grow and use their imaginations.

I think both rooms are darling Beth, and I especially love the new updates. As their Mom, I’m sure you know best what your boys interests and preferences are and made them a room that they love. It looks beautiful and I’m sure your boys will make fond memories in there!

21. Danica says

i do love both of the rooms and i think the update rocks! i love that she updated what she had already with colors and new fabrics! A+ Beth!

22. Karen says

Both rooms are great! What’s absolutely evident is the love that has gone into the designs…very blessed children indeed!

23. Krystal says

Wow – I think both rooms are amazing. You people are awful. I see the kid’s personality screaming from the room. Did you notice the solar system and the items in the letter shelves? Perhaps we don’t all love our kids idolizing commercialized cartoon characters and using those as decorations? I consider the comment section an opportunity for encouragement and a little constructive criticism. I’m sparkle that you would take time out of your day to write negative comments like that.

24. Christina from Dallas says

I love it!!Thank you! I had just commented somewhere here on your blog that I was looking for ideas for a boys bedroom. It’s so cute. It looks like it’ll carry them through middle school without seeming too babyshish. I might try some of these ideas. Great post!

25. Stacey C says

Love both rooms!!! I’m going to steal ideas from both- thanks for sharing!!!

26. Jan S. says

This room is fantastic! So much better for growing boys. Colors are perfect and can still change accent color down the road and be a teenage room. Love Love Love it!!

27. Alayna says

Don’t people know that if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all? Good grief! Who cares if you don’t like it! It’s NOT your house. There is nothing wrong with wanting a kids room to not be covered in cartoon characters. I see several kids things, like the books, dinosaurs, and solar system above the bed that define this as a kids room. Blue and yellow are colors that can grow with the boys.

• mere says

“grow with the boys” hahaha while i love both rooms you really think it won’t be completely changed in another 3 yrs because the first room could have “grown with the boys” too

28. Jill Palumbo says

I like the first one best too. In fact, when I saw it, I thought it was the make over. That said, it’s not my house, so she is free to do whatever she wants. I gravitate towards calm and neutral colors, and all that bright blue and yellow is too stimulating for me. But I think it’s sweet she cares enough to put so much effort in decorating for her sons. To each his own!

I loved the first one when I saw it long ago, but this second one has me saying, “Wow!” What a great room. I love love those shades at the windows! (But then, I am a big fan of yellow!)
    Kelly
    p.s. I think her kids’ names are cool too.:)

30. dak says

I love the new room. To be honest, when I first glanced at the ‘before’ I thought it was from the 80’s or 90’s (mostly because of the wall colour, timber beds and patchwork quilts).

The new colours are great and it’s immediately obvious it’s a kids’ room.

31. Kim says

I think it’s neat that the boys get to pick the theme and colors of their room. I bet they spend lots of time in there.

Wow, Beth, I love it! I love that it’s a room that can grow with them, I love that you can see their interests just by looking at their room, and I love the palette and patterns- what a great room!
    My Smooches are going to be sharing a room when we move (next week!) and a shared room is a tricky thing to plan for, much less pull off. Well done.

Ok, I’m just a TAD BIASED here, because this room belongs to my nephews and I absolutely LOVE IT (as every good Auntie should)! It exudes everything wonderful about these two boys. They are smart as whips, passionate about science and the world around them, and oh so creative! The room is cheerful and modern and full of thoughtful accents. Every child should be so blessed to have mom who can design a room around the boys interests. Thanks for featuring Beth’s room!

34. Jen M says

I think it looks great. I bet they love the new grown-up feel of their room. I dig the planets against the dark blue wall color.

I loooove this room! I pinned in the nonsecond it appeared on the blog. I’m planning to feature it on my own blog, too, although for a different reason (wall color ideas for a room I’m doing in my house right now). But I just wanted to say that this room is amazing, and I know my son would love it. I love all things cottage-y and cozy, but my son LOVES modern style and this room would thrill him (with a neon green accent instead of yellow–that’s his favorite color).

I’m thrilled to see Beth’s work getting featured, she’s a talented designer and a generous blogger and she deserves the love! I hope that people can realize that just because a design isn’t their personal style or cup of tea doesn’t mean that it’s okay to bash it. As they say, “if you can’t say something nice….”

Love your blog, Julia!! :-)

~Angela~

• says

Thanks, Angela! I think there are so many great ideas in this room. I hope everyone goes over to her blog to see the rest of them!

36. Amanda says

Thanks for this! It has my mind spinning for the room I want to do for my two girls. I most love how you used books etc to decorate. So functional!
    I am thinking a similar blue with hot pink for my girls!

37. Lisa says

I love both rooms and have to say that they both look age appropriate. I LOVE how you asked your boys what they wanted (my boys would flip! they watch Extreme Makeover and are jealous of those kids, though I remind them why they are on the show). I’m sorry that some feel the need to leave negativity. So sad what our world is coming to…

For all the Debbie downers out there-
    didn’t your mom tell you if you don’t have
    anything nice to say don’t say anything at all!!
    I think the room looks amazing! They are 2 lucky
    little boys!!!

39. Shannon says

Actually my mom always said that if you didn’t have anything nice to say, to come over and sit by her.
    She allowed me to pick the decor for my bedroom when I was six, and it looked like a Pepto-Bismol truck had flipped over in there. Luckily these boys have a more sophisticated palate.

40. Screendoorgirl 3 says

I love it all!. I just commented to Beth how I love that she used the same beds. I wonder if they are hand me downs. They make the whole room to me!

41. Alie B says

I love this room! That brick wall is amazing and the labelled dresser drawers are brilliant! :)

42. Katherine says

Redone after 3 years? I’m an avid blog reader an I have noticed a lot of bloggers are so dependant on home makeovers that they re-do the same rooms over and over with not much time in between. Thank God it’s not my pocket book! As an Interior Decorator that thrives on design longevity and responsible spending, things like this make me shake my head. The initial design wasn’t so overtly juvenile, so I have a hard time believing that the kids have already outgrown the scheme.

• says

There is a lot of pressure on bloggers who write primarily about their own houses to continually have new projects and makeovers to show their readers. Many of them blog full-time, so it’s kind of their job to always be updating and changing things around. I can’t imagine how much time and energy goes into not only redecorating all the time but then writing posts about their projects.

Money they make from the blog often goes into the updates, or they are comped by companies who want to be mentioned on their blogs. In that way it’s kind of different than if non-bloggers were redecorating all the time just for the heck of it. Most of us don’t have the time or money for that.

That said, I don’t think that’s the case with this room. This was a makeover on a small budget, involving paint and DIY projects Beth did herself, like those clever display shelves she built. The boys wanted a room with these colors and things in it and were lucky to have a mom creative enough to provide it. Besides, isn’t it fun to update our kids’ rooms from time to time to reflect their changing interests?

43. Tiffany says

I love it all! You did a great job and your boys have wonderful taste!

The “A” and “Z” shelves are fantastic and very smart idea! I also like the colors. Beth has a lot of talent! The only thing I do not like so much is the yellow. I would use a very bright blue or just white instead. But the room is great and the change huge!

45. Menahil says

Love the before look, but the after one totally makes me envy these lucky kids! 😛