Decorating My Sunroom: Finally Pulling It All Together!

Ready for another sunroom update? This is how my new Ektorp sofa from IKEA looked in my sunroom last time I showed it to you. Everything was still looking pretty plain and white, so I wanted to bring some color into the room and brighten things up.

I ordered a rug from Dash & Albert that I’d had my eye on for a long time. Here’s how it looked on the website:

It’s an indoor/outdoor rug that’s easy to clean and UV-treated, which is just what I needed. It’s called Lighthouse Sprout, and I bought the 6 x 9 size for $298. I thought that was a great deal.

I also ordered some fun pillow covers from So Sarah Sews on Etsy that I fell in love with. Everything finally arrived and is in place, so I thought you’d like to see it. Ta-da!

I was a little concerned because it’s an outdoor rug that it might feel kind of stiff or plasticky, but it’s not. It really soft. Love it.

And the pillows that Sarah sewed for me are really light and fun. I actually ordered the wrong size at first (they were too big), but she graciously made new ones for me that are exactly right and refunded my money for the first order. Thanks, Sarah!

Things are looking very summery and citrusy in here now. Very lemon and lime.

Still on the shopping list for the sunroom:

• a new ottoman (this black one belongs in the family room)
  • two chairs (the wicker and rocking chair are pretty old and beat up but will do for now)
  • a bigger end table to replace the small green one
  • shelves or some sort of storage against the brick wall

But it’s getting there! To recap, the sunroom has evolved from this, back in December when construction on it was complete:

To this hodgepodge of old furniture we used all winter:

To how it looks now that we have the new sofa, table and chairs, etc:

This summer has been so HOT that I am grateful every day that we decided to close the room in and add A/C (the project started as a screened porch and sort of…evolved).

I took these photos on different days, which is why some things are moving around.

It’s truly my “happy place” now. We didn’t even take a vacation this summer because we decided we’d rather stay right here and enjoy our new room… :-)

Do you have a “happy place” in your house? Where is it?

P.S. You can see my post about the sofa and how we put it together here, and see the post about the new TV and yellow console table here.

*11/11 UPDATE: Check out how it looks now with new ottomans and a few other changes I’ve made here: My Sunroom in Fall.

Time for another sunroom update! Last time I invited you in, it looked like this. A lot of people thought I should just keep the…
Lollygag-beach-house-porch-in-Traditional-Home
When I saw this photo of a porch overlooking the beach in Traditional Home magazine, I liked some things about it but wasn't so sure…

Comments

Your sunroom is one of my favorites things on your blog! I love seeing the updates and how beautiful you made this space. I’m LOVING the pillows, rugs and the sofa! You have such great taste, Julia.

Thanks for sharing it.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Love that rug! Going to check out their site right now! The room looks great and is really coming together!

3. Linda @Deeeda says

I love the colors and the bright, fresh feel….a ‘sun room’ in every sense of the word! What a lovely place to hang out!

Hi Julia,
    It looks delicious!! I love Dash & Albert rugs and was just on their website last night to order a new one for my kitchen. I love the pillows but then I am a pillow fanatic. I have gotten several pillows from etsy…it’s a great place to go for pillows. I would feel like I was on vacation all the time. Mind if I stop over….LOL!

5. Eileen says

The pop of color with the rug and pillows is beautiful. The great thing about the white couch, is it can be the backdrop for many different looks, including this great “citrus” look for summer. What a great room! I wouldn’t want to leave it either.

6. Stephanie says

It looks fabulous! I just want to curl up on that sofa with a good book and a glass of sweet tea right now.

7. Bethany says

That ceiling is begging to be yellow!! I love those pillows.

8. Kelli says

I love what you’ve done! This space is so inviting! Cheerful but still relaxing! :)

9. Grand D says

Great job and I am sure it was fun. I like projects such as this.

I adore your sunroom! We are currently getting estimates to have one put in at our house!

It’s looking super cute! I love the green and yellow pops of color. Very nice! I really want to build a sunroom off our living room! But, that will have to wait for a few years.

It’s coming together beautifully! Love the couch and your cushions. Looks very inviting and I know you’re enjoying your new space!
    Best,
    Susan

13. Janelle says

The rug is fantastic, Julia! I love the 7-up color scheme. :)

14. Maddie says

Dash & Albert outdoor rugs are the best!. I bought a blue and white one last year and it looks great after juice spills, pet accidents, melted candy, etc. Just clean with detergent on a cloth and if its really stubborn, use diluted bleach. It looks like new!

Truly lovely! You’ve convinced me about the Ektorp. And how funny that you got that rug from Dash & Albert — I’m looking at the very same one in blue! :) Great minds, ma’am. Enjoy your sunroom! :) (And, btw, one of my happy places is right here, reading your blog.)

16. Janice Mahon says

So beautiful. I wish I could just plop down, read a book and twiggle my toes.

17. Joan says

The rug and pillows really make a difference. It looks so inviting!! I can see why you stayed home!

YAY for a new happy place!!! I LOVE IT! I recently recovered my living room sofa and it looks just like that. The girl who recovered it suggested the fabric I used from WalMart … it was only $4.80 a yard! Gotta love those deals! Your sofa, the pillows, the rug – SO cute! Enjoy Julia!!!! xoxo

• says

Shoot. I ordered two rugs the same day–another one for my dining room–and got the prices mixed up in my head when I was writing this. It was $298 for this one. I just corrected it. Thanks for catching that, Susan!

Hi Julia! Oh, I’m loving your sunroom! Love your new pillows and the rug! It’s quite big and you’ve made it look so wonderful.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia 😉

LOVE this space, Julia! I wouldn’t want to leave! I’ve had my eye on a Dash and Albert rug for a long time too. They have so many great ones to choose from. I’m happy to hear the outdoor/indoor rugs aren’t plastic-feeling, that was my concern!

21. amy says

Looks great!! I love the bright colors. I was wondering about the unit you used for ac? Does that also provide heat? We are looking at one of those combo units for a project and appreciate any insight. Thanks!

• says

That’s right, it’s a combo unit that has both heat and AC, like one you’d find in a hotel room. We love it. It heats and cools the room really quickly so we don’t have to leave it on all the time.

What a beautiful sunroom, Julia! I adore your rug and the pillows lend a festive touch and the perfect pop of color. I am *obsessed* with chevron so I am definitely heading over to the Etsy shop! Your room is really coming together, it just gets better and better! My happy place? It would have to be either the porch or the balcony, I love outdoor living areas and the view is gorgeous!

23. Kim says

What a beautiful sunroom! If I had a place like that, I wouldn’t want to leave either. I love the bright yellows and greens. They make the room look very cheery. My favorite place? The front porch and firepit. They are both peaceful places to be.

Love your sunroom….love the pillows!!

Thinking of how you can just change the pillows, add a warm throw and voila! ready for fall/winter!!

25. Jodi from New Jersey says

So pretty! I love all the woods around, the autumn will be gorgeous! Thanks for showing the Ektorp sofa also, I’ve had my eye on that one.Enjoy !

love your sunroom! my sunroom is my happy place…that’s exactly what i call it! and my friend is thinking about redoing her bedroom in these citrus and lime colors…i’m going to send her to see this!

27. Lisa From Georgia says

I LOVE your sunroom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything you have done is wonderful! The pops of fun and happy color are perfect and make it so inviting. It is definitely one of those spaces that I said I love…where you want to “plop” down on that big, comphy sofa with a dear friend and share a visit and a sip of that pink lemonaide, or…….. take a nap! We are big on naps!

28. Pam says

The Sunroom is wonderful. I love the greens and yellows. I would love to have a sunroom but where I would have to put it would be high up off the ground and I really dont know if it could be done but yours is just so great. I would be spending so much time there I would really get nothing done. Good luck with the decorating cant wait until you share some more pictures.

I love the yellow and green, what a cozy and cheerful spot. I think I could manage to do some magazine reading and napping there! Getting ready to send you an email full of pictures, I hope you don’t hate me for it! :)

It looks fantastic, Julia! I love your lemon and lime color combo. You have really pulled things together quite nicely. :) My “happy place” right now is the mini van, which sounds odd, but I wrote about it today. 😉

31. Dawny says

Your sunroom is my happy place! I guess it’s time to freshen up my own place, eh? But your room makeovers give me great ideas. Congratulations on your new room.

32. Jennifer says

Great colors–that wicker chair is screaming for some bright yellow spray paint!!

What fun! Love the sofa and the rug is gorgeous – you had a lovely vision for this room and it shows :)) Enjoy
    Mary

Well done! Very cheery and happy! We’re getting ready to totally replace the front porch on our home (at 111 years old I think the old girl is due for a face lift!) and I can’t wait to add some personal touches (lke a resin glider I’ve had my eye on forever!) and make a happy place for myself!

omg- this is the cutest ever! my daughter is going to buy that exact sofa for her apartment. the cushions look so full – did you change them out? i didn’t realize how good it looked. that rug !! those pillows!! itall looks fabulous. job well done.

36. Dawn says

I have a thing for striped rugs and green-and-white is a real weakness. I picked up a green-and-white striped rug for the kitchen a while back and love it.

And I have green-and-white striped cushions that I special-ordered in a catalog many years ago for my white bar stool chairs that look perfect in the breakfast nook.

I adore the pillows that you got and bookmarked So Sarah Sews page. :)

Your sunroom is shaping up beautifully! I am dreaming of a screen porch one of these days but that also might evolve into a sunroom. Either way, I’d be very happy.

I love what you’ve done – I could staycation in that room and be quite happy! That rug is precious!

Julia, your sunroom is so pretty *and* cheerful! I am so happy for you!!! I am still loving your pretty yellow console table, especially with the rug and throw pillows. 😀

Yes, I do have a happy place in our home now! We redecorated our tiny, 11′ X 10′ formal living room. We turned it into an art studio for my youngest daughter and me. We are enjoying it so, so much.

Have a great rest of the week!

(((hugs))),
    Ricki Jill

I love it!

I have an Ektorp chair and ottoman and am inspired by your white. I’ve alwyas been afraid to take off my red cover and put on white for fear of plain but you showed me I can do it!

That room makes me want to grab a book and curl up in that corner.

I am so jealous! I don’t have a dining room in my house, just an eat-in kitchen, so I am unable to have large holiday dinners. I want someday to add a sunroom to the side of my house and use as a dining room. I have a large wooden dining set that is in a Swedish country style and it kills me that it is packed away in the garage! Just out of curiosity – what are the dimensions of the room? – Lana

41. deidre says

the sunroom looks GREAT! i’ve enjoyed watching it evolve and come together. those pillows and rug are fantastic.

42. laney says

…a beautiful happy place indeed…the perfect place to make memories throughout the years…and that is what home is all about…

43. Nita says

It looks great! Then you can change pillows for the seasons and holidays. How many times have you washed the slipcover? :) I couldn’t do that with these cats, but I might get that sofa with a pattern or other color one day. Love it.

• says

I have only had to wash one of the back cushion covers, and that was after “The Chocolate Pudding Incident” last month. One reader said she washes hers monthly. I don’t think I’ll be quite that vigilant, though. Unless more pudding gets smeared on it, I’ll probably wait a few months!

It looks beautiful and fresh! Definitely a place I would love to relax in. In my little place, I just love to relax in my bedroom… the only place that is not littered with toys and can stay white and clean! Lx

45. kasey says

Some of the colors aren’t my taste, but its not my room now is it. It is so beautifully done now, and looks so comfy and cozy–the perfect place to curl up and read a book on a Sunday morning with coffee and pastries. I do like the rug, out of my price zone but i”m going to bookmark it as someday I want a space like this. Enclosing for AC certainly was a bit of brilliance. I really like the table under the TV; speaking of, the tv is the perfect size for it you want to watch something but doesn’t take over the room.

46. su says

Really love what you’ve done with the place my friend…have you tried that
    bleu-berry crepe and ice cream desert yet?! heehhh….

love it!

47. Dean says

Love it! Looks great. I don’t know how beat-up the rocker is, but I would leave it. It just looks right to me with the black ottoman and the white sofa and walls. And I love a good rocking chair. :-)

48. Linda in AZ * says

*** DY-NO-MITE, Julia!!!
    As my darling Grama used to say “You sure did put your THINKIN’ CAP on for THIS project!!!”…

MANY congrats on a most successful transition (!!!) ~~~ the way you searched for better deals/prices, FOUND them annnnd ALSO ended up NOT SACRIFICING STYLE for $$$, is SO ADMIRALE, & I love the results!!!

It’s such a HAPPY space, and Y*O*U made it that way!!! Sharing a nice “cuppa” with you, in here, would be so nice with all that wonderful greenery outside!!! I’ll bet your neighbors enjoy it alot too!!

Warmest wishes,
    Linda in AZ *
    bellesmom1234@comcast.net

49. Char says

Beautiful!! I’m inspired to add a sunroom to our house now. Do you mind sharing the dimensions and any advice? Thanks!

50. Carolyn says

It is lovely. I am on my way over to take a nap on your couch. :)

51. Destiny says

You made wonderful choices and the room turned out absolutely lovely; so warm and inviting.

52. J. Castilleja says

If I seemed a little bit upset in my previous post, I didn’t mean to be. What I did mean is that while most of us hope the homes next to us will be well loved and maintained by twins of ourselves, that’s not what happens. Others move in, have their own ideas and express them. This is a GREAT thing. Nothing like having a recent guest say, yeah you live two doors down from the PINK MANSION or the house w/ the statue of an elephant in the DRIVEWAY. Each neighborhood has it’s quirks. In conclusion, I do think that plastic flamingos are the absolute worst thing that could happen to any neighborhood:) ANYWHERE

I love what you have done with the sunroom! This is definitely a place I would like to relax with a cuppa and good book. Well done!

54. Jenn says

I love the colour palette you’ve chosen, Julia! It’s so bright and cheery for the summer months. You could easily change out your accessories to warmer shades when the colder season(s) arrive. You have such a flair for using recycled pieces. I have “sunroom envy”.

55. Gwynneth says

It’s definitely nicer than anything I have (which is NO sun room!) but I’d lose the green, only because I have a thing against it. Also, I’d ditch the striped rug (they make some very nice Oriental-looking ones for outdoors now)–more green! And you could use some plants! Think: Old Victorian ladies and a conservatory (my grandparents bought a house like this, with the old ladies still IN it!). I really WISH I could say nicer things, since I LOVE your blog…but just pretend I’m Greg House, and psychologically unable to lie and say I like something when I don’t! (I really am that way, to my sorrow-sometimes).

All in all, very nice. Very CLEAN.

My first thought was ‘what a happy room’! The rug is so perfect, and I just love all the bright colors! A very happy place indeed!
    xo J~

57. Fan says

Just came across your sunroom site. Love it. We are in the process of doing the exact same thing. Our room is almost the exact same size. I couldn’t find on the site what type of windows you installed. We have been comparing but are totally confused. What company did you go with?

58. Elisha says

Looks really great Julia. I especially love the beadboard ceiling!

It looks lovely, Julia! I love the glass of lemonade on your side table. I’m ready to pull up a drink and join you there! I hope you and your family continue to enjoy the sunroom for many, many years.

60. leanne says

Wow! What a deal on the sofa. I am now considering the Ektorp for my sunroom. I am concerned about assembly and comfort. Are the cushions as comfy as they look in the pictures?

Your sunroom reminds me so much of ours. It is always fun to see what you are doing here. The walls of windows and the colors are so similar so it exciting to watch when you change yours up. My sofas are showing signs of sun fade and soil so it won’t be long before I will have to make some changes in this part of our home too. In the meantime I am enjoying your space evolve. It looks just so great.
    Pam @ BeColorful

62. Cindy says

Your sunroom is so bright and fresh. It looks great and I agree that you should NOT paint the bricks.

63. Kim says

Hi Julia- I am likely going to buy a similar DASH & ALBERT rug for our living room – in the play area where the kids have a table and their toys. I just wanted to know how you liked yours so far. We are also probably going to get the washable one too… Thanks!

You,r whole house is stunning – just my style & filled with COLOR! If I see one more all white/cream room, I am gonna puke! It is not a warm inviting feel. Yours is an example of excellence in color!

65. Sam says

You have amazing taste and style. That dash and Albert rug was an amazing choice!