Sunroom Update: My New Table and Chairs

by hookedonhouses on May 11, 2011

The last time I showed you my sunroom, it was early January and there was a foot of snow on the ground. It had just been finished in time for Christmas, and we had dragged out every sorry piece of furniture we had in storage so our guests would have someplace to sit when they were here over the holidays.

I showed it to you anyway, folding chairs, mismatched cushions and all. As a reminder, here’s how it looked back then, when all I had was an old resin deck table for us to eat on:

I had been looking at several tables I liked that were $1,000 or more when I came across this set in Meijer, of all places, on clearance and marked down to only $188. Sold!

I love it. It’s from the Katie Brown Orchard Dining Collection and cost a fraction of what I was expecting to pay for a dining table and chairs in my sunroom.

The armchairs were $100 each (they came with the seat cushions but I bought the leaf pillows with outdoor fabric separately, here). The smaller chairs were $40 each. And the bench was $99.

I have never been crazy about benches at dining tables and was really against going this route at first. But we don’t have a lot of space in the room, and putting armchairs on both sides would have crowded the seating area next to the table. The bench saved us about two feet, easy.

For the other side of the table, I chose lighter, smaller scale chairs that don’t take up much space behind them, either. And I like that there aren’t big chairs on either side blocking the view through the windows.

Now I just need to find a rug to go under it…and, oh, yeah, a sofa and chairs for the other side of the room. But I’ll get to that eventually! Here’s how my old wicker and the assortment of other old furniture looks in the room now:

Not great, but good enough until I can afford to replace it. I want some comfy, upholstered furniture we can really sink into.

You wouldn’t believe how much time we spend out here now. Even Maizie loves it. During the day you’ll find her out here, taking naps in the sun. (See how I worked a photo of my dog into this post? I’m shameless!)

You can read more about how we built our sunroom in this post, and the story of how Maizie came to live with us in this post.

Maaike Quinn @ Life with FlyLady May 11, 2011 at 7:08 am

Looks neat, Julia! I love the wooden furniture you choose. And I also love the way you’re able to be happy with the run even though it’s not fully finished yet. F*ck perfectionism! And boy, is that Maizie cute or what! :D

Luciane at Homebunch.com May 11, 2011 at 7:10 am

Oh, I’m so glad you’re sharing this with us, Julia! It’s gorgeous! So comfy! I can picture you guys spending great time in there!

Maizie is adorable! What a cute dog! I’m happy for you! :-)

Have a great day!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Janet May 11, 2011 at 7:15 am

LOVE it! Just enjoy the porch this summer without the worry of whether the kiddos and dog are damaging your new furniture :)

Lisa May 11, 2011 at 7:15 am

Wow what a steal, I miss having a Mejier! This is a great spot to dine!! Enjoy!!

Marta May 11, 2011 at 7:16 am

Wow – what a great bright space you have! And how lovely that table must be for family meals with those huge open windows.

Enjoy! And thanks for sharing!

Sally May 11, 2011 at 7:20 am

Looks GREAT Julia! I’m so glad you found a DEAL!!! ~Sally

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top May 11, 2011 at 7:22 am

Your doggy made me giggle. Cute!

The table is fabulous! I really love Katie Brown’s line at Meijer. Such a great price too.

Your sunroom is really coming along. It looks great.

Janell Beals May 11, 2011 at 7:23 am

What a tremendous space! All that light, enjoy! Janell

Susanna Tanner May 11, 2011 at 7:26 am

Julie, I LOVE the new table and chairs, not to mention the entire room. Ironically, I just saw this table/chair set yesterday when I was at Meijer and was admiring it, wondering how I could add pieces of it to my already crowded house.

Your dog is a great accent piece too! Really, very cute.

melissa sloan May 11, 2011 at 7:28 am

Oh doesn’t that just look lovely and inviting! You all will just live out there this summer! Yay! Maize looks great too :-) What a little love muffin. Thanks for sharing your photos with us! -Melissa

Marie May 11, 2011 at 7:37 am

Absolutely lovely, Julia! BTW, I happen to love your “before” pictures, too. I love the “comfy” look in a home, with older, mismatched furniture. And I think guests do to. They feel more at home when everything’s not perfect or “matchy-matchy”.

My husband and I even have a rule: No new furniture. We furnish our home with our relative’s hand-me-down furniture, the thrift store, estate sales, Goodwill, etc. Our 2007 home looks comfy and cozy, like an old estate.

Kim May 11, 2011 at 7:47 am

What time is lunch??? Gorgeous room!!

mimi linna May 11, 2011 at 8:02 am

wow…looks great…love your puppy…just want to pick her up and hug her..

black eyed susans kitchen May 11, 2011 at 8:10 am

It is coming along beautifully Julia…I love the way rooms like that bring families closer together!

Barbara May 11, 2011 at 8:17 am

I would die to have that sun porch. I love the way you didn’t do matchy match
with the chairs and table. It’s beautiful!

Wanda Richey May 11, 2011 at 8:24 am

love the table! What a steal, and I know what you mean about seeing “Green” outside your window!! Maize looks ready for summer in the scarf!

Bella Michelle May 11, 2011 at 8:29 am

Oh my….it look wonderful! I love the table and chairs and think the bench (I am not a bench girl either) looks great! Our sunroom is not near as lovely…especially since it current sports a ping pong table and air hockey table!

RHoda @ Southern Hospitality May 11, 2011 at 8:54 am

Julia, it really is coming together out there. The new table & chairs look great in that space. Congrats, on a super room to enjoy with family! YOur pics look super too.

Layla May 11, 2011 at 8:57 am

Gorgeous! I’d love to have a room like that!

:-D

Tanya from Dans le Townhouse May 11, 2011 at 9:21 am

Wow! It looks fabulous and what a great price for the table and chairs.

etta May 11, 2011 at 9:22 am

I’m in love with your sunroom and the new table!!!!
Kisses
Etta

Janice Mahon May 11, 2011 at 9:49 am

Wow snow! Don’t miss here in Central Maryland, especially after our ten feet of snow in the Winter of 2010!

Everyone sure loves your table, and so do I! I hope it is treated, don’t want you to put a plastic tablecloth over it! Enjoy and thanks for posting your beautiful room and little one.

hookedonhouses May 11, 2011 at 10:28 am

The nice thing is that it is made to be an outdoor table, so it is treated. Water beads right up on it. The tables I was considering that were over $1,000 all had negative reviews online because they weren’t treated and were damaged easily by water, etc. No way could I spend that much money on a family table in a sunroom that I’d have to baby and worry about all the time! I figure if this one gets scratched up or anything, the fact that I paid less than $200 for it will make the damage less painful. :)

Nichole@40daysof May 11, 2011 at 9:50 am

Oh my gosh, I forgot about Meijer! We used to live in South Bend. I had never seen it before and haven’t since. That set looks great and I love a bargain!

Pat May 11, 2011 at 10:04 am

Can I come over? I would just quietly sit in a corner and read my book and not bother anyone? LOL! How wonderful it looks! What a wonderful decision to put this addition on your house, and I love the table and agree about the bench. It gives a lot more room, doesn’t block the view and usually kids love to sit on them so they can elbow each other more easily!
Enjoy it in good health!

hookedonhouses May 11, 2011 at 10:29 am

Come on over any time, Pat! I’ll make lemonade. :)

Rhianna May 11, 2011 at 10:08 am

It looks great!

karen ho fatt@best fire pit reviews May 11, 2011 at 10:16 am

Awesome room. Love all the light and feeling of spaciousness. Agreed that a rug may be needed though. All that wicker furniture provides a nice contrast to all the white and tile- Nicely done!

MissCaron May 11, 2011 at 10:22 am

LOVE IT! I especially love that you chose a bench… I think that they work well in spaces like yours and the table is spectacular. What a deal! Great job… can’t wait to see what else you come up with! :) Hope you had a very lovely mother’s day, my dear!

Richella at Imparting Grace May 11, 2011 at 10:37 am

Julia, it’s looking great! I love your table and chairs, and the bench was a smart move as well, I think.

I’ve found good outdoor rugs for very little $$ at Target. You might try them.

One thing you could do right now that would cost very little is to spray paint your wicker furniture. Perhaps the white pieces could be painted the same color as the brown wicker chair–or all those pieces could be painted the same color as your new dining chairs. Then you could make some new throw pillows in a bright, fun print or two, perhaps also making a simple table runner from one of those prints. While you’re at it, you could pull a bright color from the color scheme of the pillows and paint your rocker one of those colors! Might be a fun splash!

Okay, I’m sure you have plenty of ideas of your own, so I’ll stop pushing mine on you. Do let me know if I can help you in any way, though. For instance, my local discount fabric store has outdoor decorator fabrics for just $10/yard; indoor decorator fabrics are $7.99/yard. It doesn’t look as if you’d need outdoor fabric for this room unless you’re worried about fading from the sun. Anyway, let me know if I can help!

Centsational Girl May 11, 2011 at 10:57 am

Every time you show pictures of your sunroom, I start drooling uncontrollably.

That is all.

Except I have to tell you I love your new table and chairs, and your puppy.

xo
Kate

Nita@ModVintageLife.com May 11, 2011 at 11:04 am

Wow! Great table at a great price. I really like the bench used at the table. How cute is Maizie? She looks very very happy.

js May 11, 2011 at 11:51 am

Garden Ridge has a good deal on outdoor rugs if you can find one you like.

Nathan May 11, 2011 at 11:55 am

I think you made an AMAZING choice!! I absolutely love the table. And for $188?!? I’m not sure about there, but in Canada, you can’t get a table for $200 that is anything but cheap and crappy looking. I completely agree with the chair decision as well.

Amanda @ Serenity Now May 11, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I love your new table and chairs, Julia! They look great in the sunroom. Maizie is just adorable! Love her jaunty bandanna. :)

Bre May 11, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Your sunroom looks fantastic Julia! Such an inviting space. I <3 the new table, bench, and chairs! What an incredible find and the perfect complement to the room. Could Maizie be any cuter? I would love to sit out there with a good book and hang out with Maizie while she naps. What a lovely way to spend an afternoon. I'm so glad you and your family decided to create this great living space! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Teresa Smith May 11, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I love it when Maizie makes it in. She looks so incredible and healthy! I’m so happy for her to be in a loving enviornment.

Dawn @ The Wish List May 11, 2011 at 1:27 pm

It’s shaping up nicely! How exciting! I still want a screen porch or a sunroom but that is a the long to-do list. I’ve wanted one every since I was about 10 years old. *sigh*

Maizie is the sweetest thing!!!!! So adorable!!!!!

Carla May 11, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Looks lovely! I just love the table, chairs and bench you chose! I also work in pictures of our dog into posts, I call it a ‘gratuitous Rocco photo’. I’m pretty sure I’ve done it at least 10 times now.

Kim May 11, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Julia, thankyou for sharing this post with us. I was just wondering the other day, about your sunroom. Low and behold, you posted it today. Everything thing seems to be coming along nicely.

I really like the new table, chairs, and bench. The style looks great in your sunroom.

Mary Ann May 11, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Ha! I LOVE Maizie. I wouldn’t mind napping in that beautiful sunroom either.

Karen T. May 11, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Love your choice of table and chairs. I suggested an iron or metal table in your previous post about your sunroom, but I really like how the wood seems to warm up the space. I like the way you did not match all the chairs & kept the backs of the side chairs low so as not to obstruct the view. I’m not into benches either for lingering after dining for lively conversation or games (hard on the back), but I do think you made the right choice for the right reason(s). And guess what? I believe kids would love to take the bench side of the table and, depending on their sizes, you could probably pack several of them on that bench. It would really be cute while adding even more color to that side of the room if you slipcovered the bench cushion in a pattern or stripe the same or coordinating colors as the green in the pillows in the armchairs at the table and the beige/tan of the chair cushions. (If you have any fabric remnants left, you may want to do a napkin for your bowl of apples to rest upon.) Fun! Enjoy your room!

Ricki Jill Treleaven May 11, 2011 at 8:11 pm

You absolutely stole that set! Congrats on your find, Julia. Your sunroom is looking so nice!

sarah macklem May 12, 2011 at 5:53 am

I am so in love with this room. It is so tranquil. It’s like a reverse terrarium :) Great furniture choices. Enjoy.

Robin May 12, 2011 at 6:50 am

Looks very nice, Julia. I am sure I would be spending alot of time in that spot!

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints May 12, 2011 at 12:06 pm

to die for! so jealous!!!

shabbychick May 12, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Awww, Maizie! Love your new table and chairs, too! ;)

Becky May 12, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Great table and seating! And what a deal!

kemper May 12, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I love it, I like benches alot though too. Looks like something my boys would destroy in no time flat. New house has a HUGE dining room that I am pining to make part sunroom. I am so glad I found your site!

Lori-Anne May 13, 2011 at 4:52 pm

It’s looking great, Julia! And bonus points for scoring such an awesome deal on the table! Can’t wait to see the “completed” (if any home decorating can be called completed) look!

Destiny May 13, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I love it and am thrilled for you!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... May 14, 2011 at 6:44 pm

So pretty! Great job!

Sunrooms South Jersey July 28, 2011 at 1:49 am

Great job with the sunroom and love the dining table. teak?

{ 1 trackback }